Alot of people I know are nervous about losing whatsapp. And most of them are passport and classic users.

And no they won't switch to BBM. Whatsapp is just too widespread and it's also used for work now.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-18-16 06:07 AM
    Alot of people I know are nervous about losing whatsapp. And most of them are passport and classic users.

And no they won't switch to BBM. Whatsapp is just too widespread and it's also used for work now.

I have an ex-coworker, who's a huge BlackBerry guy since I knew him and was on since the BBOS and has a Passport now. He was actually the one who got me into the Classic. Initially was using BBM with him thought he would be using that primarily, but then he told me I was actually the only person he used BBM, and never uses it. So we just switched back to WhatsApp so we can both decom BBM.

He said he's scrapping his Passport when Rome is out.
    05-18-16 06:12 AM
    I agree and hopefully it'll be sold at reasonable prices. I've made the switch to the PRIV, although I still complain about several things on Android. I'm also keeping my Passport as a tablet-like and secondary device. It's a sad affair, BB10 is the best OS IMHO, but loosing WhatsApp support is unfortunate to say the least. As much as I hate to say it, but it's a necessary communication app for many of us, including for work.

My gf is holding on to her Q10, after trying out a Samsung Galaxy Folder (she's a fan of flip phones) for 3 months. She just couldn't cope with the pkb provided by the Korean model and missed her full QWERTY. She asks me quite frequently what options will she have. I've already suggested she'd try the the PRIV (says it's too big and prefers the smaller profile of the Q10/Classic design), Samsung S6/S7 Edge and even a iPhone 6, but she just doesn't want to type on glass.

The Rome seems the closest to what she'd like, so I do hope is out soon, as I'll try to get one for her asap. She's mentioned that she can live without WhatsApp, yet spends quite a bit of time on it... My mother will likely be in the same boat for next year. And my father might eventually need an upgrade to this Z30 and although he has way more choices, it would be great if he sticked with BlackBerry (Hamburg, anyone?).

If marketed decently, sold at a reasonable price (unlike the PRIV) and made available in a wide variety of markets, I think the Rome can become the natural upgrade for many Legacy/Q10/Classic users, keeping them with BlackBerry. The Hamburg might not be such a wall-breaking success, yet it could finally fill the much requested all-touch upgrade for Z10/Z30/Leap users. I'm crossing my fingers...

Posted with my powerful and masterful  Passport!
    webber27 likes this.
    05-18-16 08:34 AM
    This is stupid. The android version works awesome on BlackBerry, better than the BlackBerry version even.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-16 05:10 PM
    This is stupid. The android version works awesome on BlackBerry, better than the BlackBerry version even.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah but which BlackBerry are you talking about? The PRIV? Well, yeah, that's obvious. The BB10 devices are hit and miss and there's uncertainty going into next year because now that BlackBerry is apart of the Android team, they can't continue to support the runtime on BB10 devices. So that will cease to work for Classics, Passports, etc at some point in time soon.

There will probably be workarounds for sure but no one wants to deal with that long term.

WhatsApp, today, is insanely feature-rich and BBM is still not on that level. I can understand the appreciation for it for personal and work use. Even at my workplace now, they have started setting up groups/teams on WhatsApp. One of the biggest reasons is being able to see when each individual reads a particular message, date and time. Something BBM still doesn't have.
    05-18-16 08:42 PM
    My gf is holding on to her Q10, after trying out a Samsung Galaxy Folder (she's a fan of flip phones) for 3 months.
    Galaxy folder, i'd never heard of that

I think there'd be a lot of talk about BlackBerry if they'd release a Bold 9900 se with a supported os soon. Seems to have some decent nostalgia associated with it and maybe some are preferring a smaller device as trends are finding them to be useful.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-16 09:02 PM
    Galaxy folder, i'd never heard of that

I think there'd be a lot of talk about BlackBerry if they'd release a Bold 9900 se with a supported os soon. Seems to have some decent nostalgia associated with it and maybe some are preferring a smaller device as trends are finding them to be useful.

Posted via CB10
    Indeed, my gf prefers the pkb devices to all touch ones. She already has a Samsung Tablet for media consumption, so a smaller device as an everyday phone seems to suit her better.

Here's the Galaxy Folder, I think it's only sold in Korea (we bought it on eBay): http://m.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_folder-7453.php

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android with my PRIV by BlackBerry.
    Pcmx likes this.
    05-20-16 12:16 AM
    Why do people think WuzApp is better than BBM?

Posted via CB10
    05-20-16 12:48 PM

Posted via CB10
    It's not... I don't like it. No benefits for me.

Why BBM is better:

+ Video Chat
    + Clearer Voice Chat
    + Private Messages
    + Retract Messages
    + UX superior
    + Uses a Pin (not phone number)
    + Custom Pins and Sticker Club subscriptions
    + Person Preference

A Berry A Day Keeps The Apple Away
    yas61 likes this.
    05-20-16 01:57 PM

Posted via CB10
    It's not the app itself, it's the fact that so many people use it. No need to convince everyone to get BBM...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    05-20-16 02:05 PM

Posted via CB10
    Just very one important improvement: nobody I know uses BBM, including the one BlackBerry Passport guy I know.
    05-20-16 03:28 PM
    It's not the app itself, it's the fact that so many people use it. No need to convince everyone to get BBM...

Tis

05-21-16 12:54 AM
    Indeed, my gf prefers the pkb devices to all touch ones. She already has a Samsung Tablet for media consumption, so a smaller device as an everyday phone seems to suit her better.

Here's the Galaxy Folder, I think it's only sold in Korea (we bought it on eBay): http://m.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_folder-7453.php

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android with my PRIV by BlackBerry.
    Smart Girl.

I wonder who people are blaming more for the eventual loss of Whatsapp, Blackberry or Zuckerberg? I am a huge user of Whatsapp and it works perfectly on Legacy devices.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-22-16 11:42 PM
    Blackberry is pretty much done as a hardware company. They should just release one phone (Rome), to commemorate the origin of Blackberry as a phone maker. Make it look like the Bold/Classic, with the same great pkb. One last hurrah

05-23-16 04:21 AM
    Can't people just run the Android version then, seeing as the BB10 platforms can run them.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-16 07:32 PM
    I love my BlackBerry but let's be honest, the phones will not sell. I can't even see carriers wanting to carry the phones

06-07-16 08:09 PM
    I love my BlackBerry but let's be honest, the phones will not sell. I can't even see carriers wanting to carry the phones

I fear this as well.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-16 08:24 PM
    Maybe BlackBerry should think about building a new brand for smartphones. Their smartphones are great but people don't like the brand anymore (although I do).

Posted via CB10
    06-08-16 01:28 AM
    Strangely that could work. They could create a subsidiary branch and run a new phone brand and people would be none the wiser. They'd still be up against people only adopting a tried and true established brand, but it could work better considering their android route than sporting Blackberry on the logo.

People simply have a negative attitude towards the brand now and little faith or care to invest in one of their devices.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-16 08:18 AM
    Maybe BlackBerry should think about building a new brand for smartphones. Their smartphones are great but people don't like the brand anymore (although I do).

Posted via CB10
    I've been saying something similar for ages, I agree with you that the brand itself has a stigma. There are so many people I talk to who have no clue what BB10 is or what a BB can do who would immediately shun you the moment you say the word BlackBerry.

06-08-16 02:27 PM
    Strangely that could work. They could create a subsidiary branch and run a new phone brand and people would be none the wiser. They'd still be up against people only adopting a tried and true established brand, but it could work better considering their android route than sporting Blackberry on the logo.

People simply have a negative attitude towards the brand now and little faith or care to invest in one of their devices.

Posted via CB10
    I like the idea and agree with the stigma the BB name has for the common-folk, but unfortunately with today's social media and the insecure Fandroids that feel the need to put everything else down in order for them to feel good about themselves, if BB does that, those Fandroids will be all over "educating" everyone that this new brand is just "crappy obsolete BlackBerry."

But I think it'll still work to a degree. Social media isn't used by absolutely everyone, so there would be people who wouldn't know.

06-08-16 02:35 PM

I would never get caught dead using Whatsapp. Just need email and texting and I can communicate with everyone I know. I don't actually know anyone who uses Whatsapp.
    06-08-16 02:38 PM
    You don't know anyone who uses whatsapp? Where do you live?
    Barbareren likes this.
    06-08-16 02:55 PM
    I would never get caught dead using Whatsapp. Just need email and texting and I can communicate with everyone I know. I don't actually know anyone who uses Whatsapp.
    Depends on countries I would imagine

06-08-16 02:55 PM
    Where are all the BB10 diehards with their I don't need no stinking apps rant now?
    06-08-16 03:18 PM
40 12