Pretty interesting in here lately. When I re-joined in December 2015 upon buying an unlocked 9900, users of this Legacy device were practically mocked it seemed, for having interest in this device. Unless the 9900 users were just remaining silent, there seems to be greater interest in it now and I think its pretty cool.

You just cannot argue with the build quality of this device and the gratifying keyboard, and still great functionality with browsing, yes browsing, whether people mock PKB's or not, this is what made Blackberry the great name it had become, and people forget this. Many people get too bored too fast with a device and then they think it can acceptably be ridiculed if something is not an all glass screen or something more "modern"in appearance.

I am more than satisfied ditching my iphone and using this BB for everything. All the essential apps are there. The facebook app is working great, no change, Twitter, Whatsapp, thankfully even the Instagram photo uploader app and much much more. No regrets.

Good to see other peeps in the same boat.

Special thanks to David Tyler and Steve for helping me out when I had questions and many others also in here for the tips and stuff, you know who you are.

EDIT: Also noticed that Blackberry App World is sending me an email everyday now about certain apps I might like. Not sure if anyone else is getting this but I like it. Funny how it started last week but I forgot to mention it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 05-18-16 at 12:11 AM.
    05-17-16 11:50 PM
    Pretty interesting in here lately. When I re-joined in December 2015 upon buying an unlocked 9900, users of this Legacy device were practically mocked it seemed, for having interest in this device. Unless the 9900 users were just remaining silent, there seems to be greater interest in it now and I think its pretty cool.
    That's because it _is_ cool. Give yourself a pat on the back: Your enthusiastic, upbeat posts and willingness to experiment have created a great positive vibe in here. As I've mentioned before, I rarely visit the BlackBerry 10 and Passport forums, even though I use my Passport most of the day. Most of the posts there are negative and angry -- and WHO NEEDS THAT?? Combine that positive vibe with the serious expertise of some of the forum regulars, and this is a fun place to hang out.

Plus, you guys don't give me TOO much grief about showing up with my Passport sometimes...

EDIT: Also noticed that Blackberry App World is sending me an email everyday now about certain apps I might like. Not sure if anyone else is getting this but I like it. Funny how it started last week but I forgot to mention it.
    Oh, yeah! Those started dropping in my inbox, as well. I had to laugh -- SOMEbody's still showing up for work..!

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    05-18-16 08:32 AM
    Oh, yeah -- Note to self: WATCH RALPH'S VIDEO!!

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    05-18-16 08:33 AM
    I hope the BB10 forums eventually become more like the legacy forums. The trolls will have moved on and the pure fans and enthusiasts will enjoy one another's company and bask in the BlackBerry goodness.

Posted from my  Z10 via CB10
    05-18-16 09:08 AM
    9930 - one of my favorite devices and absolutely stunning to look at.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-16 09:18 AM
    The 9900 is beautiful. The best keybaord ever. They never made a BB10 (or Priv) with a keybaord even close to its league. Felt so amazing to type on it.

I would have bought a Priv (despite the horrible name and all the other problems it has) if the keybaord would have been like the 9900.

Don't blame you for still using it.

Z5 - E6853 / Android 6.0 / T-Mobile USA
    05-18-16 09:38 AM
    Our 9900s are ergonomic masterpieces. They represent the ultimate culmination of many years of evolutionary experience. Experience that ML consciously chose to abandon with BB10 after reading "The Innovator's Dilemma", it seems. Go figure. Lol.

AFAIK, 9900 was blessed with the best specs and feature set of BBOS. Future proofed enough to provide surprisingly relevant functionality to this day. AFAIK, including the 2014 re-release, 9900 has been BB's most successful, possibly most profitable and almost certainly longest production handset. Since, AFAIK, BB10 never reached profitability, it might be argued 9900 was one of the last profitable BlackBerrys??

That said, early 9900s had their share of reliability issues. I suspect that much of the ill will directed toward it from the "Troll-osphere" results from those early day experiences. The issues eventually got sorted out at OS level if not thru user mitigation strategies. Our "old" 9900s are BETTER today than they were in fall of 2011!

I don't like the device because I'm a fan. I'm a fan because I LIKE the device! I like the proficient efficiency it eagerly assists with most relevant tasks! BB just got it right with 9900.

I have a Classic, PassPort and Z30 sitting on my desk. 9900 is what's in my hand. Guess that says it all.
    05-18-16 11:10 AM

Plus, you guys don't give me TOO much grief about showing up with my Passport sometimes...
    WHAT!!!!! You have a Passport! LETS GET HIM!!!!

But ya about the daily BB App World emails, I was like, it is 2011 still? I never got that much care from Blackberry back then, I do like seeing what's out there for apps. They still know we exist, unless its some random computer automated sender, it's still ok

And ya get ON my video! The challenge is trying to NOT fall asleep for the 11 minutes but others say that they felt 5 years younger after watching it

05-18-16 11:12 AM
    I regret that my 9790 was not as reliable as my 9900, but I think that was a software compatability issue with a newer version of 7.1. The 9790 was beautiful and functional also, although not quite the same specs as the 9900, but it only lasted 4 months with me until constant freezing made me bite the bullet with it. As for the then new 9780, it was 3 months until my first camera module failed, then it happened 2 more times. I don't think this was a common problem that I have read.

Approaching the 6 month mark now with 9900 and good so far. The battery in my poor iphone continues to rot, but yes I "condition" it occasionally

05-18-16 11:20 AM

That said, early 9900s had their share of reliability issues. I suspect that much of the ill will directed toward it from the "Troll-osphere" results from those early day experiences. The issues eventually got sorted out at OS level
    I remember talking to a Facebook friend about her then new 9900 and she said she loved it except the problem she has was having to constantly pull the battery because of freezing. Like you said this was some software issue likely but I remember this being a reason I got the then older 9780. I wasnt willing to take the plunge back then and pay the extra $100 over the 9780 towards the 9900.

I still wish I could date this 9900 but I don't think there is a way without the original box. I have looked at the code numbers on the sticker under the battery and none look like any logical numbers that could be a date. Not that Important though.

skitzware likes this.
    05-18-16 11:35 AM
    This thread has me wondering whether I should bring out the 9900 again. I haven't touched a legacy BBOS device since the z10 came out. Currently using a Priv as my daily driver but am open to giving the 9900 a reboot for the weekends.
    05-18-16 11:47 AM
    This thread has me wondering whether I should bring out the 9900 again. I haven't touched a legacy BBOS device since the z10 came out. Currently using a Priv as my daily driver but am open to giving the 9900 a reboot for the weekends.
    Yup, go for it, another soldier for our army I'm actually suprised how many people say they kept their 9900's in drawers for years and it is a fun device to go back to. If your battery is toast they can be had for less than $10 off Amazon for a new BB brand one, but I might recommend getting a couple because some of them can be tricky to revive, others are perfect.
    NJanitz likes this.
    05-18-16 12:03 PM
    Many talk about an "app gap" with Legacy devices but I have seen people so frustrated having to answer notifications from dozens of apps constantly,they are a slave to their device, and it can be stressful and overwhelming. It might be beneficial for some, to use a device that is more communication focussed and not app focussed, for a while anyway.
    05-18-16 12:14 PM
    I loved my 9900 and agree it was a great device.

Of course, I constantly fall in love with each new BB device I acquire, so I may be biased.
    05-18-16 01:55 PM
    Just dug this little beauty out of my Box 'o BlackBerrys! What a gorgeous little thing! I am amazed at how tiny it feels in my hands! When I first got it, it felt gigantic compared to the 9780 it replaced at the time!

9900:Resurgence of popularity!-bb9900.jpg

I've got it into the charger right now and as you can see from the pic, the red light is on. Been awhile since I've been in the BBOS game so not sure if that means the battery is able to hold a charge. The light is off now and I can't get a response so I'm wondering if it's new battery time.

Curious to see what version OS is on it. Installing BBOS leaks seems like a lifetime ago so I'm hoping that there's something current available OTA from Rogers. We'll see!
    05-18-16 02:29 PM
    Just dug this little beauty out of my Box 'o BlackBerrys! What a gorgeous little thing! I am amazed at how tiny it feels in my hands! When I first got it, it felt gigantic compared to the 9780 it replaced at the time!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BB9900.jpg 
Views:	1063 
Size:	169.6 KB 
ID:	400095

I've got it into the charger right now and as you can see from the pic, the red light is on. Been awhile since I've been in the BBOS game so not sure if that means the battery is able to hold a charge. The light is off now and I can't get a response so I'm wondering if it's new battery time.

Curious to see what version OS is on it. Installing BBOS leaks seems like a lifetime ago so I'm hoping that there's something current available OTA from Rogers. We'll see!
    Man that thing is mint! Looks like you never even used it I would keep it plugged in for several hours and it might "re-activate" the battery. Might even take a day or 2, from other posts I have read.

I do have some "essential" apps on a link that are OTA if they would help......

http://www.theiexplorers.com/OTA/#YouTube

Dave Liao likes this.
    05-18-16 03:50 PM
    I loved my 9900 and agree it was a great device.

Of course, I constantly fall in love with each new BB device I acquire, so I may be biased.
    if you had to pick ONE as a fav, which would it be? And don't worry, you don't HAVE to say "9900" but ya you kind of do

05-18-16 03:52 PM
    Man that thing is mint! Looks like you never even used it I would keep it plugged in for several hours and it might "re-activate" the battery. Might even take a day or 2, from other posts I have read.

I do have some "essential" apps on a link that are OTA if they would help......

http://www.theiexplorers.com/OTA/#YouTube

I used the 9900 for 18 months. Had a case for the first month or so, but I inevitably always ditch them and go naked. Dropped it a few times but it's so well built it that it took the bumps like a champ.

I'll leave it in the charger for a couple of days to see what happens. Looking forward to dropping a sim into this Canadian long weekend!
    Bbnivende likes this.
    05-18-16 04:05 PM
    I like to think BBOS has never lost its popularity; we've just been a bit quiet on here
    rayporsche and Karan Riar like this.
    05-18-16 06:19 PM
    if you had to pick ONE as a fav, which would it be? And don't worry, you don't HAVE to say "9900" but ya you kind of do

LOL, I think my all-time fave would have to be the 7290 ( at least I think that was the model...) finally brought phone to my trusty email powerhouse. Everything from that point on was really just refinement of a fantastic product. I still miss the click wheel from time to time.

Ahhhh, life was so much simpler then!

Posted via the CrackBerry App on my Priv
    05-18-16 07:20 PM
    LOL, I think my all-time fave would have to be the 7290 ( at least I think that was the model...) finally brought phone to my trusty email powerhouse. Everything from that point on was really just refinement of a fantastic product. I still miss the click wheel from time to time.

Ahhhh, life was so much simpler then!

Interesting, I want to read more about this model, I never heard of it, it came out long before I got into BB's

http://m.gsmarena.com/blackberry_7290-1348.php

05-18-16 07:25 PM
    Yup! That's the one!

05-18-16 08:54 PM
    Yup, go for it, another soldier for our army I'm actually suprised how many people say they kept their 9900's in drawers for years and it is a fun device to go back to. If your battery is toast they can be had for less than $10 off Amazon for a new BB brand one, but I might recommend getting a couple because some of them can be tricky to revive, others are perfect.
    I would try my 9900 out but I no longer have a BIS account. I understand there are work arounds but not worth the effort for me.

PS not a resurgence.

Posted via CB10
    andy957 likes this.
    05-18-16 09:16 PM

PS not a resurgence.

Posted via CB10
    This parade won't be rained on!
    chockster and Ursus Rufus like this.
    05-18-16 09:20 PM
    This parade won't be rained on!
    Relevant avatar!
    anon(8063781) and Ursus Rufus like this.
    05-18-16 09:21 PM
8,754 123 ...