^^^ Thank you, I'll check.
    Just check and the item number on eBay UK is 121967015147. And just found that it is made in China. However there is no mentioning of the magnet so you may like to contact the seller for this detail.
    He also lists a red Melko flip case with magnet.

Posted from my  Passport
    01-15-17 11:50 AM
    I am thrilled that I finally got my Kindle working again! Apparently, even though my 9930 is not activated and runs on wifi, the Kindle app still wants network turned on along with wifi in order to work. I don't understand why.

The bright side is that, while trying to fix the problem, I also learned how to read epub and pdf files on the Kindle, so it is now my do-it-all ereader.

I'm very happy about this. The small screen doesn't bother me at all, and my 9930 is now my favorite ereader device. It is extremely portable, one-hand operational, has great visibility in full sunlight, and lasts a long time on one full charge.

I've toyed with the idea of buying a new phone (modern specs look so awesome), but then I always come back to one realization - my passport and 9930 handle all my mobile needs just fine. A new phone wouldn't do anything my blackberries can't already do that I need/want to get done, and sometimes do far better than a new 2017 phone might (ie., keyboard, hub, daylight visibilty, etc.).

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Kindle app font adjusts to accommodate even my old eyes. Arms just keep getting shorter with age. Lol. But 99's UI evolved with even smaller screens so it's pretty nicely optimized to do an impressive lot with 99's screenestate, in general.

I really love kindle on 99. Singlehanded Trackpad scroll is wonderful for reading during meals, etc. Spacebar scrolls down. "P" for previous. "F" for full screen, etc.
    01-15-17 01:36 PM

I'm very happy about this. The small screen doesn't bother me at all

I've toyed with the idea of buying a new phone (modern specs look so awesome), but then I always come back to one realization - my passport and 9930 handle all my mobile needs just fine. A new phone wouldn't do anything my blackberries can't already do that I need/want to get done, and sometimes do far better than a new 2017 phone might (ie., keyboard, hub, daylight visibilty, etc.).

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Try coming from a 9780 and going to a 9900/9930 and it is like going from a regular sized 9.7 inch ipad to the new Ipad PRO 12.7 inch! I know what you mean. As far as I am concerned the screen size is just right to be able to have a pocketable device and not be bothered by it being in a front pocket while you tie a shoe-lace. (thats my little test)

My devices are at least 3 years old next month and still do everything they did originally. (minus some 9900 apps) but for what I need, both devices cover it. If my iphone trips up again on a massive update like it did on ios10, I will not spend more $ to have it fixed. (no PC) I will run the 9900 full time until there are deals on a new iphone 7 this fall or this summer and continue to keep the 9900 as always.

After the jam on the iphone I realize how important it is to have at least ONE spare device that can have the sim inserted and ready to go...

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    01-15-17 03:02 PM
    How do I access the BUYR info? I went to options, couldn't find anything that said 'status' so I was stuck there. I'm just curious how much my 9930's previous owner used this phone, which looks quite pristine still.

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.
    01-15-17 03:17 PM
    How do I access the BUYR info? I went to options, couldn't find anything that said 'status' so I was stuck there. I'm just curious how much my 9930's previous owner used this phone, which looks quite pristine still.

Options>Device>Device Status and Information>then type BUYR - it stands for Buyer's Remorse where you can see the Data Usage, Voice Usage and IT Policy.

Once you do that then look under "Free Memory" and you should see total time useage measured in days, hours, minutes and seconds

And by OPTIONS I mean the icon that looks like a wrench
    01-15-17 03:32 PM
    9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_1484516214.308130.jpg

Here's mine, 13 days of solid usage and I think it measures to the second
    01-15-17 03:37 PM
    Cool thanks! Mine is 563072k data and only 4:39:30 voice.
    Does BUYR work on passport too? I'm the original owner but I'm going to see what happens.

01-15-17 03:54 PM
    Cool thanks! Mine is 563072k data and only 4:39:30 voice.
    Does BUYR work on passport too? I'm the original owner but I'm going to see what happens.

4 days only!!!!! That thing is like brand new. Not sure about a PassPort but I am curious now too. I have something like this on my iphone 5C and I am now curious to look there too.....

01-15-17 04:00 PM
    In three years on my iPhone I only have 7 days and 14 hours. 9900:Resurgence of popularity!-img_1484517869.040680.jpg
    01-15-17 04:04 PM
    No BUYR for BB10. So basically one can wipe the device and sell it as new. There are of course an exception where on some device the boot date stays fixed even after wiping the device or factory resetting. I don't know how this happens.

01-15-17 11:56 PM
    No BUYR for BB10. So basically one can wipe the device and sell it as new. There are of course an exception where on some device the boot date stays fixed even after wiping the device or factory resetting. I don't know how this happens.

Boot Date? What's that? You mean like if the device is rebooted it keeps a record of it?

01-16-17 12:22 AM
    Boot Date? What's that? You mean like if the device is rebooted it keeps a record of it?

Not really keeping a record of every boot but just info of the last boot.
    On my Passport the last boot time was sometime on Jan 16 when I last restarted the device. Most BB10 phones would show the same, i.e. the last boot time. However I have a T-Mobile Q10 showing last boot time in Sep. 2014 though having multiple wipes and restart since that time. It is still on an old OS version, 10.2. I am not sure why or how this happens. My friend's Z10 is also showing an old boot time and it is a Roger phone.

01-16-17 08:16 AM
    So the beautiful bold has crashed, got the white screen and error 102/reset loop. My mac is not detecting the phone so can't use blackberry desktop software. Anyone had this problem, or know of a solution? kinda reluctant to give up on the little marvel.
    01-16-17 08:24 AM
    Oh dear, the dreaded white screen and JVM 102 error ... I've experienced this on 9900 once when updating the OS. You should be able to get it working again.
    idssteve likes this.
    01-16-17 08:43 AM
    Last time I heard about the white screen was a few years ago on my friends curve 9680 or whatever it was. Hope you get it fixed
    01-16-17 06:45 PM
    Well, the Q10 came, and went back. Lovely OS, Android Skype useful,, nice to have an app to check the weather in Havana. Audio quality not quite as good as the 9900.

But, there are buts. Day 2 and a software update cometh, resulting in No Carrier - the dreaded Red X. So back it has gone, and we are em-Boldened once more.
    01-17-17 04:48 AM
    Well, the Q10 came, and went back. Lovely OS, Android Skype useful,, nice to have an app to check the weather in Havana. Audio quality not quite as good as the 9900.

But, there are buts. Day 2 and a software update cometh, resulting in No Carrier - the dreaded Red X. So back it has gone, and we are em-Boldened once more.
    Are you saying the software update killed it? I don't think I've ever had a bad software update with BlackBerry, but then again I never had BB 10.

If that's what you're saying
    01-17-17 06:00 PM
    Are you saying the software update killed it? I don't think I've ever had a bad software update with BlackBerry, but then again I never had BB 10.

If that's what you're saying
    ^^^ "Are you saying the software update killed it? "

I don't have the tools to analyse what killed it. It might have been a wrong country or carrier ID or similar as the Q10 couldn't connect with an invalid SIM message. But rather than faff, I got a refund.

What came over is that the Q10 is slightly larger, has a slightly more pleasant UI, and can load a gazillion And**d apps including Skype. The BB7 Bold though, has more UI flexibility and settings, and was able to intelligently set up my IMAP email, where the Q10 had to be done manually.

I don't have a 4g signal here, but a very good 3G one, so the 4G throughput on the Q10 didn't get tested. I did get H+ (3G+) speeds on the Q10 which I don't on the Bold.

What did come over is the unbeatable messaging efficiency of BIS, immediately missed on the Q10. I've logged my data use for a week on the always on BisBerry Bold, it's less than 70MB, or about 70 pennies - the price of a Snickers Bar here.

So, I loaded a weather app on the Bold, (it's 29C in Havana) and I'm very happy with the efficiency of BB7.

One interesting addition to the data-slurping Android tests I did is that Google logs your IP address, router MAC address, and adjacent wifi locations, and correlates it to location whenever you connect an Android device.

This shows up immediately in Google News, which, within an hour of connecting a location-enabled Android device to the Wifi router, allows Google News to serve location based news to everything else on that IP address.

I live in a small village and seeing it listed in Google News on my desktop after connecting an Android phone, is quite un-nerving.
    Last edited by Sue-zz; 01-18-17 at 01:03 AM.
    01-18-17 12:52 AM
    If the SIM got connected on the first day, then the update might have been the cause. Could've tried a reset to factory setting then updated again via Blackberry Link on your computer. OTA update sometimes causes some trouble due to unstable signal.

If the message was 'invalid SIM' or 'SIM card not recognized' or similar, the Q10 might have been locked. The locked status could be checked as well. Depend on the locked carrier, it may cost up to U$35 for an unlock code which is half the cost of a good unlocked Q10. I would return it too.

01-18-17 05:40 AM
    ...One interesting addition to the data-slurping Android tests I did is that Google logs your IP address, router MAC address, and adjacent wifi locations, and correlates it to location whenever you connect an Android device. This shows up immediately in Google News, which, within an hour of connecting a location-enabled Android device to the Wifi router, allows Google News to serve location based news to everything else on that IP address.
    Definitely unnerving, because the process is "opt-in," and most people simply don't understand they're being tracked, never consider the insane money Google is making selling their data, never think about the government accessing all that data via secret courts and a shadow legal system, and never really consider the alternatives.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    idssteve likes this.
    01-18-17 07:15 AM

I don't have the tools to analyse what killed it. It might have been a wrong country or carrier ID or similar as the Q10 couldn't connect with an invalid SIM message. But rather than faff, I got a refund.

What came over is that the Q10 is slightly larger, has a slightly more pleasant UI, and can load a gazillion And**d apps including Skype. The BB7 Bold though, has more UI flexibility and settings, and was able to intelligently set up my IMAP email, where the Q10 had to be done manually.

I don't have a 4g signal here, but a very good 3G one, so the 4G throughput on the Q10 didn't get tested. I did get H+ (3G+) speeds on the Q10 which I don't on the Bold.

What did come over is the unbeatable messaging efficiency of BIS, immediately missed on the Q10. I've logged my data use for a week on the always on BisBerry Bold, it's less than 70MB, or about 70 pennies - the price of a Snickers Bar here.

So, I loaded a weather app on the Bold, (it's 29C in Havana) and I'm very happy with the efficiency of BB7.

One interesting addition to the data-slurping Android tests I did is that Google logs your IP address, router MAC address, and adjacent wifi locations, and correlates it to location whenever you connect an Android device.

This shows up immediately in Google News, which, within an hour of connecting a location-enabled Android device to the Wifi router, allows Google News to serve location based news to everything else on that IP address.

I live in a small village and seeing it listed in Google News on my desktop after connecting an Android phone, is quite un-nerving.

Is there ANY subatomic crevice the all knowing Googleverse isn't growing nefarious tentacles through?
    01-18-17 08:58 AM
    Definitely unnerving, because the process is "opt-in," and most people simply don't understand they're being tracked, never consider the insane money Google is making selling their data, never think about the government accessing all that data via secret courts and a shadow legal system, and never really consider the alternatives.

To rephrase Dostoevsky — 'In the end they will lay their freedom at our feet and say to us, Make us your slaves, but ENTERTAIN us.'

Lol.
    David Tyler likes this.
    01-18-17 09:23 AM

Would like to hear your thoughts on Apple and data mining,etc. Hopefully you will stick around once you get another device....
    01-18-17 11:09 AM
    I can't believe it, the first Blackberry I saw in the wild today for a long time is another 9900 and the dude lives in my building! He didn't even have a back battery door so I said he could have my spare lols. That might be a little easier than trying to hold the battery with your finger all the time!

When he picks up the part later from me I'll take a pic of his beat up 9900 but it might be too sad for some to see
    01-18-17 12:16 PM
    "Is there ANY subatomic crevice the all knowing Googleverse isn't growing nefarious tentacles through? "

Well, they're excluded from my crevices at the moment. Until an Android-equipped guest turns up and uses my wifi which will resend the location data of the router back to Google. :-)

Also I replaced the home wifi router with one that does 2.4/5Ghz; the 9900 connects to 5Ghz, which pleases me. It has a 'guest' feature which blocks off the rest of the network, and has its own SSID. Be interesting to see how Google chews on that.

I haven't done any work on Apple devices for some years, don't use FaceTwit etc, so the payback is being a Cyber-Hermit, the upside is no covert data-feed to make millionaires richer by re-selling pictures of my cat.

The Bold also BlueTooths to the car, and has auto-answer on BlueTooth, which is a big help.

So, I'm sticking with the 9900 BisBerry for the foreseeable future. There's little else that's as data-efficient or as private for the price, assuming BIS doesn't die at some point.

There's an outfit over here selling data/voice encrypted phones, for those of you who work for the NSA/WikiLeaks/Sinaloa Cartel. They're based on 'containerised' BB10s, at about the price of a used Mustang. They haven't yet sent me one for review. :-)

Enigma Telecom - Secure Communication with Triple Layer Protection

Hasta luego!
    01-18-17 12:24 PM
8,754 ... 172173174175176 ...