So lately this monster is driving me crazy.. it all started with the android runtime error and fix where I was unable to update android apps I have..

I'm running passport SE PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2876 on China Unicom. Had no problems till updated wechat about a month ago.. (except the usual bad bbm video voice from china to EU etc. But this can be attributed to chinese firewall and lousy internet.)
    I use wechat and didi android apps. Both are a must here in china, first due to the entirety of chinese population is on wechat and you cannot communicate without it, second is a chinese uber. Wechat has a BlackBerry version, but as it does not support payment it's useless here. So I installed android versions of both. Had no problems till a month ago or so ago, when wechat tried to update itself. After update I could not log in anymore. Could get to login screen, even enter the credentials but after that it just froze.
    So I tried to download the previous version apk, that worked before. But I couldn't install due to :you have a never version installed error. Even thought I deleted wechat before. So this was the first time I noticed the runtime error.
    Followed some fellow ccrackberrians advice and flashed a previous version of android runtime on passport and reinstalled old version of wechat. Worked great. Than phone began to act up. Restarts during the night, bbm video freezing etc. So I backed everything up and did a security wipe.
    Restored everything back and it was ok for awhile. Same problems occured soon, so I figured that maybe sth in the backup was defective. Did another security wipe just last week, afterwards I copied contacts from outlook and thats it. Reinstalled all aps from bbw and reinstalled the didi app. (android wechat doesn't work so just went with BlackBerry version - found a workaround the payment).
    But now it more horrible than ever.

- passport overheating on calls or when droping from wifi to data or vice versa
    -bbm video freezes and I'm unable to disconnect, have to restart phone
    -apps crashing
    -phone unresponsive
    -unable to unlock passport coz onscrean keyboard doesn't show and can enter password
    -laggy
    -bbm video voice needs a lot of tries to get a stable connection (can still be atributed to china internet)
    -universal search not working
    -constantly needing to restart phone to reset functionality
    -light sensor sometimes not working (keyboard doesnt light up at night)
    It's driving me crazy and I'm getting to a point where I'm finally considering abandoning this sinking ship, even though IMHO passport and bb10 are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of hot water. However if I cannot rely on the phone, than I cannot use it anymore and will have to cry mysef to sleep every day while setting the alarm on a new useless but reliable iphone....

Please help me out, I wanna keep using my passport but cannot in the current state...

Ps. If anybody form BlackBerry is reading this : s***w u and ur nonexisting customer support.... way to lose customers... and to think I've defended your company and product for over 8 years, promoted and got my entire family and friends on BlackBerry.. I did more promoting that u did when u launch a new phone.!

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by uvampelj; 05-17-16 at 12:59 AM.
    05-17-16 12:18 AM
    Hi if your looking to try something different uninstall WeChat and install it from 9Apps. They offer version 6.3.16 and it works fine on my Passport. I work in Hong Kong. I have downloaded quite a few apps from this site Skype, Viber, ESPN, and others with no issues. They also send update notifications to you via the hub. Do have to watch the android run time. If you try this let me know if it works for you. Rocking 24-7 with my Passport SE semi-retired Z10 & 64GB Playbook.
    05-17-16 03:17 AM
    So lately this monster is driving me crazy.. it all started with the android runtime error and fix where I was unable to update android apps I have..

I'm running passport SE PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2876 on China Unicom. Had no problems till updated wechat about a month ago.. (except the usual bad bbm video voice from china to EU etc. But this can be attributed to chinese firewall and lousy internet.)
    I use wechat and didi android apps. Both are a must here in china, first due to the entirety of chinese population is on wechat and you cannot communicate without it, second is a chinese uber. Wechat has a BlackBerry version, but as it does not support payment it's useless here. So I installed android versions of both. Had no problems till a month ago or so ago, when wechat tried to update itself. After update I could not log in anymore. Could get to login screen, even enter the credentials but after that it just froze.
    So I tried to download the previous version apk, that worked before. But I couldn't install due to :you have a never version installed error. Even thought I deleted wechat before. So this was the first time I noticed the runtime error.
    Followed some fellow ccrackberrians advice and flashed a previous version of android runtime on passport and reinstalled old version of wechat. Worked great. Than phone began to act up. Restarts during the night, bbm video freezing etc. So I backed everything up and did a security wipe.
    Restored everything back and it was ok for awhile. Same problems occured soon, so I figured that maybe sth in the backup was defective. Did another security wipe just last week, afterwards I copied contacts from outlook and thats it. Reinstalled all aps from bbw and reinstalled the didi app. (android wechat doesn't work so just went with BlackBerry version - found a workaround the payment).
    But now it more horrible than ever.

- passport overheating on calls or when droping from wifi to data or vice versa
    -bbm video freezes and I'm unable to disconnect, have to restart phone
    -apps crashing
    -phone unresponsive
    -unable to unlock passport coz onscrean keyboard doesn't show and can enter password
    -laggy
    -bbm video voice needs a lot of tries to get a stable connection (can still be atributed to china internet)
    -universal search not working
    -constantly needing to restart phone to reset functionality
    -light sensor sometimes not working (keyboard doesnt light up at night)
    It's driving me crazy and I'm getting to a point where I'm finally considering abandoning this sinking ship, even though IMHO passport and bb10 are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of hot water. However if I cannot rely on the phone, than I cannot use it anymore and will have to cry mysef to sleep every day while setting the alarm on a new useless but reliable iphone....

Please help me out, I wanna keep using my passport but cannot in the current state...

Ps. If anybody form BlackBerry is reading this : s***w u and ur nonexisting customer support.... way to lose customers... and to think I've defended your company and product for over 8 years, promoted and got my entire family and friends on BlackBerry.. I did more promoting that u did when u launch a new phone.!

Posted via CB10
    did you update the android runtime?

Posted via CB10
    Jrox74 likes this.
    05-17-16 03:47 AM
    你好朋友:-)
    If you need apps then I suggest you go android or iOS, BB10 isn't getting anymore love from major app companies.
    05-17-16 06:07 AM
    Hi if your looking to try something different uninstall WeChat and install it from 9Apps. They offer version 6.3.16 and it works fine on my Passport. I work in Hong Kong. I have downloaded quite a few apps from this site Skype, Viber, ESPN, and others with no issues. They also send update notifications to you via the hub. Do have to watch the android run time. If you try this let me know if it works for you. Rocking 24-7 with my Passport SE semi-retired Z10 & 64GB Playbook.
    Hey! Thx will try to, but can't see the problem as after last wipe I went with bbw version of wechat.. regardless ty

Posted via CB10
    05-17-16 06:52 AM
    你好朋友:-)
    If you need apps then I suggest you go android or iOS, BB10 isn't getting anymore love from major app companies.
    Hey! No I dont need apps I just need my passport to work as intended. Coz its the best phone around, but if it inoperable than yeah.. time for a change

Posted via CB10
    05-17-16 06:53 AM
    I live in South-China and can only use the BlackBerry Wechat version after upgrade at my Passport SE. Looks like we must life with it. The 9App store version already upgrade as well.

MrSmart
    05-17-16 07:24 AM
    I live in South-China and can only use the BlackBerry Wechat version after upgrade at my Passport SE. Looks like we must life with it. The 9App store version already upgrade as well.

MrSmart
    There are MANY older versions of WeChat that can be installed that do work (some with more functions than others). My wife uses a version from November of 2015 that works great for her. Just search the web for "older versions of WeChat apk" and you will find them (not sure about censorship in PRC though).
    05-17-16 07:38 AM
    Hey! No I dont need apps I just need my passport to work as intended. Coz its the best phone around, but if it inoperable than yeah.. time for a change

Posted via CB10
    It's not working due to BlackBerry not maintaining and updating their OS. this is what happens when development comes to a stall, sooner or later it will get buried. And from what we've seen so far, BlackBerry has no intention to invest in BB10 ever again.
    05-17-16 07:41 AM

MrSmart
    哈,我也是南方人。
    John Chen is a descendant from the south too.
    05-17-16 07:43 AM
    It's not working due to BlackBerry not maintaining and updating their OS. this is what happens when development comes to a stall, sooner or later it will get buried. And from what we've seen so far, BlackBerry has no intention to invest in BB10 ever again.
    Agree.. with android they abandoned a superb OS and went with the other sheep.... I guess time will tell, but if they think they can compete with samsung and the like they will be in for a hard landing.
    Bbos10 was functional, stable, secure intuitive and productive. And due to the fact their marketing department couldn't sell a bottle of water to a sby dying of thirst.. the os was considered as crap with no developers coming abord..

Anyway tried 9apps and it tried to update teamviewer, net dania etc apps.. all failed to install except for teamviewer who is now broken deleted it and now cant reinstall from bbw.......

Re runtime. My problems started after update, got advised to downgrade and it solved it temporarily... now its just horrible... another wipe in order. If it doesn't solve al lmy problems, guess bye bye BlackBerry hello apple....

Such shame

Posted via CB10
    05-17-16 07:49 AM
    Re runtime. My problems started after update, got advised to downgrade and it solved it temporarily... now its just horrible... another wipe in order.
    Make sure you update the ART with the fix in BBW if you are updating to .2876. Either that or just load your Passport with a .2813 OS autoloader. Then install an older version (maybe 6.3.16 or older) of WeChat. Also can you disable auto-updates from your app store? If so, I would do that because you will just revert back to your previous problem. I don't know if you can access this site: Download WeChat 6.3.15.65_r81f6835 APK File (com.tencent.mm.apk) - APK4Fun but that is where my wife got her older version. I think it was the last one on that list 6.3.8.65 and she says it works great for her.
    05-17-16 08:42 AM
    Make sure you update the ART with the fix in BBW if you are updating to .2876. Either that or just load your Passport with a .2813 OS autoloader. Then install an older version (maybe 6.3.16 or older) of WeChat. Also can you disable auto-updates from your app store? If so, I would do that because you will just revert back to your previous problem. I don't know if you can access this site: Download WeChat 6.3.15.65_r81f6835 APK File (com.tencent.mm.apk) - APK4Fun but that is where my wife got her older version. I think it was the last one on that list 6.3.8.65 and she says it works great for her.
    Ty will try after wipe. But we're getting a bit off track here, it's not jut wechat problem. My passport is laggy as ****, crashing and freezing constantly. I seriously doubt this would have anything to) with bad android runtime of bad apps versions...

If nothing else this does not explain bbm freezing and restarts....

Btw nice to see many expatriates here! Glad to know I'm not the only one roughing it out in china

Posted via CB10
    05-17-16 09:44 AM
    Use ApkMirror. Do a search on their site. They have the latest and down the bottom they show the older versions that you can download.
    brookie229 likes this.
    05-18-16 10:09 AM
    Ty will try after wipe. But we're getting a bit off track here, it's not jut wechat problem. My passport is laggy as ****, crashing and freezing constantly. I seriously doubt this would have anything to) with bad android runtime of bad apps versions...

If nothing else this does not explain bbm freezing and restarts....

Btw nice to see many expatriates here! Glad to know I'm not the only one roughing it out in china

Posted via CB10
    I agree. I have been experiencing lag and freezes constantly. Not to mention radio/wifi connectivity issues. Not as quick or smooth as the phone used to be. Contact names are not showing up anymore on Hub. Overall, phone seems to be crapping out over time, worse and worse.
    Blackberry dying!
    05-18-16 10:16 AM
    I agree. I have been experiencing lag and freezes constantly. Not to mention radio/wifi connectivity issues. Not as quick or smooth as the phone used to be. Contact names are not showing up anymore on Hub. Overall, phone seems to be crapping out over time, worse and worse.
    Blackberry dying!
    Such shame... my thoughts exactly, with Chen confirming two new android phones, it is highly unlikely that they will ever produce another bbos one.
    So for me its high time for replacement os search..
    Despise android and google, with apple and microsoft not being far behind on that scale...
    Am extremely interested in ubuntu phone, wanted to purchase meizu pro 5 ubuntu edition.. but by some logic beyond me, a chinese smartphone manufacturer does not ship this phone to china. Is it just me??

Regardless, will try the autoloader downgrade over the weekend and will get back to you with info if performance increases and if the problems are solved

Posted via CB10
    05-18-16 10:52 AM
    Downgrade to 10.3.2.858 that's what I'm gonna do tonight, cause the latest firmware it just sucks, android runtime crash, I use multiple keyboard languages and I'm having a hard time while writing this post, because It seems the keyboard has a lot of lag o whatever using it on the Web browser and If I type fast this can happen: example: "T , , , test f f typing issue o , w web browser" you see? That wasn't on my 10.3.2.556 version I'm so pissed I'm gonna downgrade tonight.
    05-18-16 12:01 PM
    I think it's something between Wechat and ART. Somehow it breaks in 4.3. Most phones in China doesn't run on 4.3, and even if it does, they wouldn't upgrade to the latest due to resource constraints.

I run some latest Chinese android apps, they work very smoothly, unlike Didi and Wechat. Why, I have no idea...

BlackBerry Passport via CB10
    05-18-16 12:15 PM
    Hey!

So I've loaded the .2813 via autoloader. Couldnt belive how fast it was.. usually I was doing it with sachesi, this is the first time using autoloader. It was done in under five minutes..

Aftewards I also loaded the older version of wechat (not the one sugested- this one didnt't work, but one version older).

Currently everything seems to be working fine.. so performance is normal, installing and uninstalling andorid apps works(no more runtime problem) no restarts etc. But I am still only a day into the .2813. Will see how it does over a longer time period. Also diasbled automatic OS updates.

So I guess all problems can be traced to .2876 OS version and as of just now everything seems to work. Ty all for assistance. If sth changes i'll report back!

Posted via CB10
    brookie229 likes this.
    05-20-16 09:42 PM
    Hey!

So I've loaded the .2813 via autoloader. Couldnt belive how fast it was.. usually I was doing it with sachesi, this is the first time using autoloader. It was done in under five minutes..

Aftewards I also loaded the older version of wechat (not the one sugested- this one didnt't work, but one version older).

Currently everything seems to be working fine.. so performance is normal, installing and uninstalling andorid apps works(no more runtime problem) no restarts etc. But I am still only a day into the .2813. Will see how it does over a longer time period. Also diasbled automatic OS updates.

So I guess all problems can be traced to .2876 OS version and as of just now everything seems to work. Ty all for assistance. If sth changes i'll report back!

Posted via CB10
    One other thing about WeChat. I believe that every once in a while, if things begin to slow down, you should go into the settings and delete media content that is old or no longer needed. Say, for example, someone sends you a pic of the dinner they ate 2 months ago etc. Conversations are not too bad but when people start collecting photos and videos especially for any length of time, bad things happen with the android run time. Clean this stuff out once in a while. If there is a pic you want to save, save it and move it to your sd card. Try to keep your house clean. . Anyway, glad to hear things are better and hope they stay that way for awhile!
    05-20-16 09:52 PM
    I'd usually just completely close it and start it again. It works.

I too think it's something to do with cache or storage management.

BlackBerry Passport via CB10
    05-21-16 04:19 AM
    So it's been a few more days and I'm happy to say that my SE is back to normal. Not laggy anymore, android apps work, no runtime problems. I still suffer from bbm video voice freezing but at least the call disconnects after awhile, so no need for restarting anymore.
    I noticed that wifi and data is a problem, as if connectivity changes during a bbm call than it usually freezes, but I can live with that. Just use data constantly.

So to all of u that potentially have the same problems: use. 2813 autoloader, the last update causes instabilities.

Ty all for advice and help

Posted via CB10
    brookie229 likes this.
    05-23-16 11:54 PM
    Line, facebook,messenger with full functional!!!

Posted via CB10
    05-24-16 11:37 AM
    Everything runs better now, but having some radio issues.. dropping from network, no connectivity etc.
    Can sby point me to the newest radio bar for the PassportSQW100-4 to install via sachesi?

Ty

Posted via CB10
    06-22-16 05:03 AM