Hey everyone, I saw a thread on reddit recently about how people maximized their usage of their iPhone/Android device and thought it might be neat to see how some people did the same on an older device like the 9900. Anyone have any examples?

Posted via CB10
    05-14-16 10:59 AM
    what exactly do you mean by "maximize the useage" because I am only using one phone and that's how I do it.

Do you mean maximize efficiency?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-14-16 11:57 AM
    May you mean, if it is possible to use mobile and push mails. So here at this moment just possible to use phone calls, messages and Internet (browsing) push mail don't work at this time.
    I'm from Germany.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-16 12:40 PM
    I guess I should have said "How do you get the most out of your 9900?"

I was just kind of looking for a brief walk through of what 9900 users are doing on a daily basis with their phones. Is it just talk/text/emails? Are their specific apps that you use on a daily basis?

I just thought it would be an interesting to see how users are making due with a device that's considered "old" and "past it's prime."

Posted via CB10
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    05-14-16 08:50 PM
    May you mean, if it is possible to use mobile and push mails. So here at this moment just possible to use phone calls, messages and Internet (browsing) push mail don't work at this time.
    I'm from Germany.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah that's a little insight as to what I'm looking for. Are there any apps or specific functions that you use daily? Haha I know I'm being oddly specific, but it's just something that has piqued my curiosity.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-16 09:04 PM
    I made this video 2 days ago, it should answer for me anyway...(a lot more than talk, text, and emails.)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=OZBNFIJ3-_c

05-14-16 09:21 PM
    I made this video 2 days ago, it should answer for me anyway...(a lot more than talk, text, and emails.)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=OZBNFIJ3-_c

That was fun to watch. Thanks for posting it.
    acovey likes this.
    05-14-16 09:51 PM
    I use a Nexus 6p now which I really enjoy using. But I keep my 9900 around still. A great device.
    05-14-16 09:58 PM
    That was fun to watch. Thanks for posting it.
    cool thnx

05-14-16 10:58 PM
    I use a Nexus 6p now which I really enjoy using. But I keep my 9900 around still. A great device. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...c6fd464f62.jpg
    Looks like in good condition. How many years did you use it? I wouldnt mind getting a white one or an official Blackberry white housing.

05-14-16 11:00 PM
    I got it the first day it was released. I used it for a couple years and then one of the kids used it for a year and a half. It's in decent shape.
    05-14-16 11:41 PM
    I got it the first day it was released. I used it for a couple years and then one of the kids used it for a year and a half. It's in decent shape.
    I remember that day in August 2011 actually. I opted to get the outgoing 9780 in White instead because I was set on a white Blackberry and the 9900 wasn't offered in white then. Also the 9780 was $100 cheaper on a 3 year contract but I should have gone for the 9900 because I had a faulty camera that failed 3 times in the 9780 and 3 times the camera "module" had to be replaced. That's why I got a 9900 now, because they are still functional and still desireable to use. I also regretted not getting one then and always wondered what they would be like. They are totally worth the price we see them for on Amazon or ebay.

To the original poster of this thread I would add that one thing I always try to do to make the 9900 run good is I close each app after I use it. I try to not let too many (or any) accumulate open because it can jam up.

05-15-16 02:45 AM
    Op's thread starter was first post! . Welcome to the forum dedicated to the most proficient communications system to ever fit a single human hand!! .

If I had to pick a single attribute that "maximizes" my daily experience, 9900's single handed friendliness tops my list. To that end, I've sought to maximize device handling proficiency by adopting various skills & habits. Start with keyboard shortcuts & speed dials. No need to learn all shortcuts at once. Learn one or two at a time and practice incorporating them into your workflow. You might ultimately wonder how you ever got along without them.

One 9900 shortcut I really miss when using a less proficient device (like my Z30) is "I" for zoom in, and "O" for zoom out. Much quicker, less distracting and more single handed friendly than the childish "pinch to zoom" silliness. IMO.

Forget fingers. BBs are meant to be thumbed, IMO. Not sure when I started using thumb NAIL rather than thumb pads (with my old Pearl??) but I find nails on the Bold sculptured keys are more precise and quicker than trying to fit thumbs themselves onto keys. I trim them a little longer to provide more comfortable reach of the far key column.

Practice "touch typing". No, touchscreen (vkb) typing is NOT the same! Lol. Let your muscle memory learn where the keys are and how they feel. Our Bolds provide THE best tactile experience for this. I'm far from best at it but frequently type paragraphs at a time without looking at the keys. On a good day, I'll approach about 60% of my best wpm on my desktop M style. The best typist in my office easily beats my best desktop wpm with her 9900! She, and her worn 9900, would be great candidate for "Smartphone Olympics". Lol.

Speed dial keys can be located and pressed by feel. Easiest of these to find & press, for me, is "P". It's the top key on the right edge providing useful tactile cues. I have it set to speed dial my most called #. The little "teet" on "5" is also pretty easily located. You get the idea.

I set convenience key to "Messages". This enables prioritized email accounts, texts, calls, etc to be instantly accessed from ANY app, ANY where, ANY time. More useful than BB10's excellent Hub, for my use. I habitually press it while retrieving 9900 from holster so that messages are already up & visible before directing eyes toward device.
    DeKlikken, and other apps, will enable assigning multiple presses of convenience, mute, vol up, vol down, etc to almost any function. Two presses of "Mute" key starts flashlight, sight unseen, for me. For example.

Advance OS & LED is a must have app, IMO. A very comprehensive collection of utilities & optimizations.

My 9900's are set to reboot themselves about 4am every morning. This clears memory leak accumulations. BBOS's "garbage handling" is poor, at best. Several apps can automate scheduled reboots. Don't go crazy on apps, either.

Get spare batteries and dedicated chargers for those spare batteries and you'll never need to tether your 9900 to a wall outlet again! Powering thru routine batt swaps saves wear on usb port and provides memory cleaning as a side benefit. I always carry a spare and feel supremely confident when away from wall outlets. JM1s are VERY compact and mostly unnoticeable in pockets.

Extended batteries let you customize your 9900 for the expected day. I frequently fit a 5000mAh extended batt into my 99 if anticipating a heavy use or low signal day. It adds thickness & weight to an otherwise slim device, tho, so I'm glad to pop in a compact JM1 for "normal" days. Our 9900s are wonderfully versatile! Maximizing that versatility maximizes daily efficiency.
    anon(6038817) and acovey like this.
    05-15-16 09:31 AM
    I still learn stuff from Steve everytime he respopnds haha well said

05-15-16 12:18 PM
    If you don't have BIS, I made a guide last year, and I've been keeping it as up to date as I can: http://forums.crackberry.com/tips-ho...ut-bis-996682/

Actually, the thread is fairly useful even if you do have BIS.
    05-15-16 12:19 PM
    If you don't have BIS, I made a guide last year, and I've been keeping it as up to date as I can: http://forums.crackberry.com/tips-ho...ut-bis-996682/

Actually, the thread is fairly useful even if you do have BIS.
    Just curious if Logic Mail might work if there is no Sim Card? I wouldn't mind trying this in my 9780.

Also, I do find myself using Opera Mini more and more for things now, its still pretty fast.

05-15-16 12:30 PM
    +1000 for Shuswap's guide! A must read for anyone seeking to maximize 9900 use. Should be a "sticky", IMO.

Last I checked, logic mail still worked on my deactivated 9900s.

Opera Mini is my first choice for posting on Crackberry, for example. A satisfyingly smooth experience. Even preferable over my Classic. I don't do forum apps, fwiw.
    05-15-16 01:28 PM
    +1000 for Shuswap's guide! A must read for anyone seeking to maximize 9900 use. Should be a "sticky", IMO.

Last I checked, logic mail still worked on my deactivated 9900s.

Opera Mini is my first choice for posting on Crackberry, for example. A satisfyingly smooth experience. Even preferable over my Classic. I don't do forum apps, fwiw.
    Thanks Steve.

It is a sticky somewhere in an obscure OS-related section. I started it here in the 9900 section, but one of the mods thought it applied to more devices, so renamed the thread and moved it.

I've never tried Opera mini for the forums. I'll have to give it a go.
    05-15-16 03:08 PM
    Just curious if Logic Mail might work if there is no Sim Card? I wouldn't mind trying this in my 9780.

Also, I do find myself using Opera Mini more and more for things now, its still pretty fast.

LogicMail definitely works without a SIM. It demands a proper IMAP implementation for push mail though, so it doesn't work well with hotmail or gmail, unless you use the workaround I outlined in the guide.
    05-15-16 03:11 PM
    LogicMail definitely works without a SIM. It demands a proper IMAP implementation for push mail though, so it doesn't work well with hotmail or gmail, unless you use the workaround I outlined in the guide.
    ah ok well I DO use gmail and hotmail

Met a friend today and he has an LG G3 and we tried for about 10 minutes to send this video of his dog to my 9900 via email...it just wouldnt work and we tried it from the vid itself and through my contact on his LG....needless to say I showed him how nice the 9900 works for sending pics/vids/texts, and I showed him how easily your right thumb covers the entire device to reach the entire keyboard and touch screen. His LG is so massive that its pretty much a 2 handed device to do most things.

anyway, today was a Blackberry Team Win

05-15-16 03:44 PM

Last I checked, logic mail still worked on my deactivated 9900s. .
    it should be. I will probably find myself referring to it in the future at some point.

so you use non gmail/hotmail?

I don't think anyone uses yahoo anymore

05-15-16 03:46 PM
    Definitely an interesting thread with many good tips. I will say that I personally do not find the pinch to zoom functionality to be childish though. I think it's quite intuitive and very handy.
    05-15-16 04:28 PM

Met a friend today and he has an LG G3 and we tried for about 10 minutes to send this video of his dog to my 9900 via email...it just wouldnt work and we tried it from the vid itself and through my contact on his LG....needless to say I showed him how nice the 9900 works for sending pics/vids/texts, and I showed him how easily your right thumb covers the entire device to reach the entire keyboard and touch screen. His LG is so massive that its pretty much a 2 handed device to do most things.

His phone was unable to send email?
    05-15-16 04:44 PM
    His phone was unable to send email?
    Correct. His phone would not send. We even tried 2 of my emails. After using an iphone for 2 years and messing with his LG, I would conclude Blackberry and Ios are less troublesome.

He said that sometimes he has to turn off his wifi wherever he is and use data to send an email, but I don't see how that could matter, unless there is something in Android settings he doesn't know about. But this didn't work regardless.

Some years ago another friend of mine got a samsung Galaxy S2 I think it was, a nice full touch phone BUT neither of us were able to save a contact in it, it just wouldn't "take" and "save" no matter what we did. I have been experienced with saving contacts into phones since my Motorola 650 in 1997. Motorola Razr V3C and a Razr 2, Nokia, and I have never been more frustrated as I am everytime playing with some type of Android operating system.

He returned it and got a dumb phone after that.

I joked with him "friends don't let friends buy Androids"

05-15-16 04:52 PM

You can set up POP3 mail if you need to -- but it pulls mail off the server completely in some cases, unless you set up your account correctly.
    05-15-16 04:59 PM
43 12