Does anyone know of an easy way of cloning (duplicating) the settings, applications etc from one 9900 to another?
    I've bought a second backup 9900 (to replace my increasingly worn unit) and would like to clone my existing Bold rather than spend hours building the replacement to my current preferences. Hope this makes sense and I'd be grateful if anybody knows how best to proceed
    05-11-16 03:02 PM
    Backup with BlackBerry Desktop, then restore to second device. They must both use the same BBID.
    mushroom_daddy, Soapm and Avenzuno like this.
    05-11-16 03:17 PM
    Backup with BlackBerry Desktop, then restore to second device. They must both use the same BBID.
    Well that certainly sounds easy, I'll have to give it go. I wasn't sure whether a restore would actually install third party apps and email accounts etc but happy to give it a go.
    If it doesn't work can I easily revert back to my original device ie. is it possible to move your BlackBerry ID backwards and forwards, ad infinitum?
    05-11-16 03:42 PM
    Well that certainly sounds easy, I'll have to give it go. I wasn't sure whether a restore would actually install third party apps and email accounts etc but happy to give it a go.
    If it doesn't work can I easily revert back to my original device ie. is it possible to move your BlackBerry ID backwards and forwards, ad infinitum?
    You have to do a security wipe when you change your BBID.
    05-11-16 03:45 PM
    let us know how it works out I'm curious

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-11-16 04:16 PM
    You have to do a security wipe when you change your BBID.
    Mushroom_daddy was talking about changing phones (BlackBerry) a few times lets say a month, still using the same BlackBerry ID - so no, its not a problem. I'm swapping my SIM card between BB 9900, 9790, Z30 and even sometimes 7290 quite regular and I don't have to do any security wipe. Just still using the same BB ID.

EDIT

If I remember, if you want to log in to your BlackBerry with different BlackBerry ID - then the security wipe will be the step which you can't go forward without do it.
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    05-12-16 02:54 AM
    If you have BB Protect activated and backing up ,all you need to do is to pop the SIM card in the new handset,use BBID,download Protect from BB World and Restore from the back up.
    05-12-16 11:20 AM
    Yes. And BB Protect in BB 9900 (OS 7 and older) is much more functional!
    05-13-16 10:23 AM
    This approach seems to have worked out OK ... mostly. Email accounts and most BlackBerry things (calendar, contacts etc.) have replicated on my #2 9900. However, not all third party apps have been installed faithfully, but perhaps that was asking too much. I have a little work to do ... but that's OK as I'm still working fine with my original 9900
    Last edited by mushroom_daddy; 05-20-16 at 11:38 AM.
    05-19-16 11:50 AM
    This approach seems to have worked out OK ... mostly. Email accounts and most BlackBerry things (calendar, contacts etc.) have replicated on my #2 9900. However, not all third party apps have been installed faithfully, but perhaps that was asking too much. I have a little work to do ... but that's OK as I'm still working fine with my original 9900
    For anyone who comes along and reads this thread later, you can backup and restore third party apps with BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife. Get it here. (It won't restore the app settings, though).
    05-21-16 12:28 AM
    For anyone who comes along and reads this thread later, you can backup and restore third party apps with BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife. Get it here. (It won't restore the app settings, though).
    So would that allow me to faithfully copy third party apps from one device to another? With two working 9900s I have time to try this again; I'm still using my original 9900. My objective is to clone the original device, or as much as possible to reduce the work involved in duplicating my trusty, battered 9900
    05-21-16 03:37 AM
    If, by faithfully copying the apps, you mean that it will put them back in the right folders and maintain your settings, then no.

What it will do is backup all the third party apps on one device in one operation; and then allow you to restore them all on the other device in a single action. Then, if I remember correctly, you will have to move the icons where you want them, login again (if necessary), re-enter your app settings, etc.

Edit: I was reading some old posts on BBSAK, and BlackBerry World might not update the apps if they're restored this way. I never noticed that, but then, I don't know that any of the apps I backup and restore this way have received updates in the last few years.
    Last edited by Shuswap; 05-21-16 at 09:51 AM.
    05-21-16 09:39 AM
    So would that allow me to faithfully copy third party apps from one device to another? With two working 9900s I have time to try this again; I'm still using my original 9900. My objective is to clone the original device, or as much as possible to reduce the work involved in duplicating my trusty, battered 9900
    You can also download the apps again from BBW. Since you are using the same BBID, you have access to them all again.
    05-21-16 09:39 AM
    This app is also great if you want to do a complete system wipe before loading a new os version, just to make sure everything installs clean. Did that about a week ago before I installed 7.1.0.1098 on my 9900.
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    05-24-16 02:20 AM
    This app is also great if you want to do a complete system wipe before loading a new os version, just to make sure everything installs clean. Did that about a week ago before I installed 7.1.0.1098 on my 9900.
    I must try this swiss army knife toolkit, I have previously used BBH Tool while doing software updates to trim down the installation size as recommended elsewhere in these forums - that worked well
    05-24-16 04:21 PM
    You can also download the apps again from BBW. Since you are using the same BBID, you have access to them all again.
    Well, except the ones that BB no longer supports. Like Amazon and FlightView in my case. They still work on my phone (Amazon works although account log-in is now blocked by Amazon), but no longer available for download.
    05-26-16 10:41 AM
    Bold Cloning: duplicating my 9900

I thought it may be worth sharing some experiences of trying to clone my 9900

A little while back I bought a second 9900 as a spare unit. As my original Bold 9900 is increasingly suffering from ‘trackpad madness’ I figured it was time to put some effort into getting the second unit, which appears, to be newer and far less worn than my primary device. My original 9900 was first bought in 2012 and other than brief excursions with my Q10 it has remained in daily use.

My objective when setting out, was to rapidly ‘clone’ my primary handset, replicating my email accounts, app installations, settings etc. all with the minimum of fuss. I didn’t really want to reinstall everything from scratch. In theory, there are plenty tools and approaches to achieve this and I’m grateful to several CB forum members for drawing my attention to them. So how did it go?

Please excuse the occasional note format, I was recording observations and issues as I went along

What I did ....

All steps performed using Windows 7 on a bootcamp PC (I'm a Mac OSX user)

Used BlackBerry desktop software to backup my original Bold 9900 #1

Used BlackBerryHybrids Tool to install the tried & tested O2 version of 7.1.0.1098 onto my #2 Bold, using ELITE1's OS UPGRADE GUIDE, as described elsewhere in these forums
    This process in itself, doesn't install many third party apps

Used BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife utility to backup my third party apps from Bold #1; this seemed to work pretty well and many third party apps installed / replicated on Bold #2

Moved my SIM and microSD over to Bold #2 and began to test for use as my new primary device.

Initially very pleased with how things looked and enjoying the crisp, much less worn, keyboard and reliable optical trackpad, I soon ran into problems

Things that didn't work well on Bold #2 ...

Facebook app lost (on Bold #1 still using v. 4.4.0.13, I have not updated to the latest browser based version 4.4.0.16). This is not a big deal for me as I rarely use Facebook but it's something of a necessary evil - sometimes even a Bold user has to go to the dark side to stay touch with the rest of the world!

BBM ID did not transfer initially, I had to reinstall BBM from BlackBerry world, then it seemed OK after restart, login etc. (newer version 8.5.3.9 was installed, I have 8.0.0.44 on my Bold #1)

BlackBerry Bridge was also lost and had to be reinstalled from BlackBerry world (yes, being a genuine (B)old dinosaur I also have & still use a PlayBook)

OneMediaHub settings needed entering from scratch. This is used to sync my contacts, notes and other items to the cloud based memotoo.com

BeBuzz LED contact settings were lost but could be restored from SD card backup

BeWeather settings were lost but as above easily restored from a former backup

Podcast (BlackBerry App) subscriptions, of which I've lots, were not maintained in the transfer

Google Maps 4.3.5 did not work - the app started but then stalled at T&C’s page, it ultimately returned a ‘serious error’ message dialogue box before crashing to a close. I downloaded 4.3.5 again and then reinstalled but same problem arose.

Advance OS & LED app settings needed to be re-entered (they can be saved with the Pro paid for version, which I don't have)

There was some evidence that my #2 Bold was originally used with BES, with two apps that were not removed when by the upgrade and restore procedures outlined above;
    RSA securID & Email continuity agent (UI)
    I deleted both of these two with no obvious impact on performance, or maybe not ….

Email – no Email

My most significant problem was with my Email. Although my Gmail (personal) and MSExchange (work) accounts transferred as part of the process above and appeared to initiate/activate as expected it soon became evident that email was not being sent from the handset. All sent messages failed to transmit. Bizarrely incoming mails appeared in the Bold#2.
    I fiddled about for a while reentering passwords, checking settings but there’s nothing obviously amiss – Emails just don’t go anywhere. Text SMS messaging works fine and the BIS connection with my network provider seems to be operating as expected.

Giving up, at least for now

This is where I gave up and went back to my original Bold #1. Should the urge arise later, I might delete my email accounts on Bold #2 and try to set up from scratch, but for now my enthusiasm (and time) has waned. I’ll make do with what I have. Bold #1 works well, other than the temperamental optical trackpad, it’s probably just easier to change that – and if nothing else the Bold #2 is going to be a good source of spares!
    Last edited by mushroom_daddy; 06-06-16 at 03:01 PM. Reason: tried to resolve format error
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    06-06-16 07:46 AM
    Hey Murshoom!

In case of Google Maps problem, I had the same. To go forwad with GM, I had to instal old version of GM, V3. In this version I was able to accept this terms and condition, than I've installed the newest version 4.5.X and it works!

PS. Our Buddy @Shuswap put a link to V3 of Google Maps in this 9900/9930 thread:
    "Need Google Maps V3, V4.5.3 gives error on startup"
    Last edited by Michniks; 06-06-16 at 10:25 PM.
    06-06-16 09:31 PM
    I've tried this with my phone, i restored the back up from my old 9900 from 3 years ago but it didn't include the apps, but it did put all the email accounts back on the phone even though they weren't registered. The sound profiles were restored and once i downloaded the apps in the app store (i clicked the uninstalled option to find the apps) once i downloaded them the apps magically found themselves with the same sound notifications as when i originally had the phone. Yes its very easy to switch between BBID, you can only use one account at a time per device but if you dont like how the backup has gone and want to go back to your old phone all you do is just switch the sim and enter your BBID when asked.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-10-16 06:01 PM
    Having some how messed up my trusty (#1) Bold 9900 and facing life without that much loved 'smiling' keyboard I've been forced to revisit getting my spare (#2) 9900 working properly ... and am now pleased to report that I will not be leaving the 99'ers club just yet.

Initially, I was having a few problems getting my #2 9900 working properly, mostly around sending Email (as documented above, post #17)

Today, I used BBHTool on my #2 Bold to wipe the IT policy, factory reset, shrink & install the tried and tested O2 version of 7.1.0.1098 .
    Third party apps were 'restored' using a BBSAK backup from my original Bold and followed that up by performing a 'restore" with BlackBerry Desktop using a recent backup from the #1 9900 ---- and we're in business again.
    Admittedly I did have to play about setting up my Email accounts (Gmail & MSexchange) and one or two apps required some reconfiguring but at least I do now have a useable 9900
    07-05-16 03:45 PM
    Here's my first problem ...
    Twitter app (v5.1.0.8) is not working, starts but never fully loads and does not offer any menu options.
    I have a faint recollection of another 99'er struggling with 5.1.0.8 but don't recall the outcome.

Second problem ...
    My Facebook app has gone and I'm only being offered the latest version, which is little more than a link to the fb web page.

Advice from those who know how to proceed welcomed ...
    07-05-16 04:14 PM
    Fixed Twitter by deleting and the re-installing the app / 5.1.0.8 is now working.
    07-05-16 05:01 PM
    Here's my first problem ...
    Twitter app (v5.1.0.8) is not working, starts but never fully loads and does not offer any menu options.
    I have a faint recollection of another 99'er struggling with 5.1.0.8 but don't recall the outcome.

Second problem ...
    My Facebook app has gone and I'm only being offered the latest version, which is little more than a link to the fb web page.

Advice from those who know how to proceed welcomed ...
    One thing about my Facebook and Twitter is that they've always worked very well on the native apps that came with the 9900. But avoid that Facebook update like the plague. When I fell for the first time when no one knew about what it was, I quickly put the old Facebook back on from the IE explores and it's worked perfectly ever since.

What else exactly is happening with your Facebook app?
    07-05-16 09:31 PM
    The Fb app is now missing from my 9900 so I need to download the penultimate version; I'll have a look on iexplorers and see if I can find it
    07-06-16 01:03 AM
    The Fb app is now missing from my 9900 so I need to download the penultimate version; I'll have a look on iexplorers and see if I can find it
    http://www.theiexplorers.com/OTA/#Facebook
    07-06-16 01:37 AM
40 12