....just did 50 tweets in 2 hours including some retweets in the Blackberry Twitter App (not Mobile), for some pressing Canadian political issues as well as the Alberta fire disaster happening right now, and the 9900 never hiccupped once! When I get talking to 5 people at once, you have to have a device capable of keeping up, and an amazing keyboard helps this even more.

I sometimes get some slowdown or "spinning clock" on the screen if I am there long enough. (then I usually pull the battery or soft reboot) But this is still rare for the 9900. The 9780 was common for this.

Not to mention 3 whatsapp convos, a build-up of email notifications for all of the above and you KNOW the device can still handle it if you can get through that.

Still pretty happy with how this old device can still handle a sudden Twitter situation over a period of hours and multi-task as well.

I should mention that I do clear the log twice daily, memory clean and delete history, but all 3 of these takes less than a minute a day.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-06-16 06:26 PM
    Should also mention I started with a full battery and in 2 hours with continuous use it was down abour 35-40%. I was also munching screenshots and texting them through SMS the entire time. The device was warm from heavy use. I don't think thats unreasonable battery useage with a strong wifi signal, that helped.

In case someone is debating if they can still use their 9900 this might give you some idea what it might be able to handle if it is maintained.

Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    05-06-16 06:53 PM
    A very nice and useful factual review. Thank you!
    05-07-16 07:10 AM
    Thanks for a fine reminder. My wife cannot be separated from her 9900 ( the second of a series). Even her backup phone is another 9900. The device remains a workhorse to this day.

C000C6078 Bits for links to world news and views, technology and science postings.
    05-07-16 07:17 AM
    I'd probably still own one if I could use it with a MVNO that supported BIS. I can't justify paying for expensive plans through major carriers when MVNOs like Ting and Straight Talk charge you so much less.

Posted from my  Z10 via CB10
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    05-07-16 07:48 AM
    Still pretty happy with how this old device can still handle a sudden Twitter situation over a period of hours and multi-task as well.
    I had blown through your note too quickly and was about to reply with something to the effect that I found the phrase "sudden Twitter situation" amusing -- then I actually read it..! Serious stuff. As one of the 4 living humans who don't have a Twitter or Facebook account, I need the occasional reminder that Twitter actually has some uses beyond sending people pictures of your lunch and griping about inconsequential matters.

It really is amazing what the legacy beasts can do!

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    05-07-16 10:40 AM
    I'd probably still own one if I could use it with a MVNO that supported BIS. I can't justify paying for expensive plans through major carriers when MVNOs like Ting and Straight Talk charge you so much less.

MVNO?

05-07-16 04:55 PM
    Thanks guys.

Usually the Blackberry Twitter app can get "bloated" quickly if you do some power tweeting but even if you know you will be doing that, its easy to reboot before a big internet session and you should have no problems.

The iphone is great but that narrow wittle keyboard just gets frustrating and I end up using the talk to text feature for everything, obviously something you don't want to do if you are in a public place, waiting room, orrice or cafe, etc. So a good keyboard is the main focus, even if the device isn't quite as speedy as a new iphone, its more than enough unless one is a raging impatient person who yells a lot

05-07-16 04:59 PM
    I had blown through your note too quickly and was about to reply with something to the effect that I found the phrase "sudden Twitter situation" amusing -- then I actually read it..! Serious stuff. As one of the 4 living humans who don't have a Twitter or Facebook account, I need the occasional reminder that Twitter actually has some uses beyond sending people pictures of your lunch and griping about inconsequential matters.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    haha ya, "Twitter Emergency?" when something happens in the country and you need to vent, everyone is talking about the same thing, fighting, whatever, its pretty important to have a device (if older) that can still handle that chaos

05-07-16 05:03 PM
    MVNO?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobi...twork_operator

05-07-16 05:38 PM
    These comments and the fact that this forum is still active is a testament to why RIM/BBRY screwed up big time. There was a time of endless misleading, misreading and bungles one after another by poor trainees down there, while all they needed was a 9900 2.0 to smoothly transition through to the BB10. Sigh....
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    05-08-16 06:17 AM
    Reissuing legacy devices with current hardware will not work. The OS won't support it. And in case it hasn't been overly obvious, The Classic, with BB10, IS the 9900 version 2.

And besides, it will only work for an extremely niche market. I doubt BlackBerry will ever want to go that path. They're still fapping on scoring big, like the old days. Heh

Posted via CB10
    05-08-16 08:03 AM
    Reissuing legacy devices with current hardware will not work. The OS won't support it. And in case it hasn't been overly obvious, The Classic, with BB10, IS the 9900 version 2.

And besides, it will only work for an extremely niche market. I doubt BlackBerry will ever want to go that path. They're still fapping on scoring big, like the old days. Heh
    Not talking about the hardware or the platform etc. Just saying that, had RIM/BBRY updated the legacy device, particularly 9900, as an "interim" device to carry them through the transition period, it would have bought some more time, and things might have been different. Even just upgrading or hardware accelerating the browser alone would have had a huge impact. Legacy's strength is not a hardware or platform but the UI programming and the perceived security at the time that people (or enterprises/regulated industry/governments for that matter) appreciated. The sudden transition to the BB10, abandoning all the goods of BlackBerry devices (which BTW BBRY tried to emulate Apple) was too much of a culture shock. The proof is the very short life of the BB10. Developers never really courted the BB10 anyway.
    Oh well, these points have been discussed to death.
    I still use the latest iPhone 6s alongside the 9900. YMMV.
    andy957 and Plazmic Flame like this.
    05-08-16 09:20 AM
    I've been using a Z30 for last 14 months and its been pretty much faultless in everyday use. However, I've accidentally damaged it beyond repair. My old 9900 was the only spare phone I had to hand and after a charge, it was up and running on BIS in no time at all. I must admit that its still an incredibly competent messaging tool, and BBOS7 still works very well considering my device is almost five years old.
    andy957 likes this.
    05-08-16 09:23 AM
    I also love the Z30 -- my only beef was it didn't get AT&T LTE where I live and in most places I visited.

I have a Bold 9900 I use when the Passport isn't convenient size-wise, and I agree: It's really amazing what they can do. After the BlackBerry 10 keyboard, the Bold kb can be a little frustrating, but after remind myself, I can still fly with it.

05-08-16 12:57 PM

Posted via CB10
    I think you meant to post this in the "should Blackberry re-issue the Legacy Devices" thread.

we are quite happy with our 9900's here

xanadome and terminatorx like this.
    05-08-16 04:04 PM
    I think you meant to post this in the "should Blackberry re-issue the Legacy Devices" thread.

we are quite happy with our 9900's here

I was picturing bobshine's avatar when I read his comment.
    05-08-16 09:20 PM
    My apologies, didn't mean to come across as rude or anything. I myself am curious to try the legacy devices, especially the 9900/9930 and/or the 9810. Just haven't really have the time to actually go down and get them.

I honestly hope BlackBerry could survive, both the BBOS7 and the BB10. I absolutely adore the phones, but NOT the company. I don't even mind if they really go the niche route to preserve their products and honor their loyalists, at the cost of escalating the prices. It'd be much more appreciated and beloved that way, considering. Even if it fails--which I don't think so. At the very least, with the proper marketing strategy, it'll survive.

I really believe that.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by bhoqeem; 05-09-16 at 03:14 AM.
    05-08-16 09:51 PM
    My apologies, didn't mean to cross as rude or anything. I myself is curious to try the legacy devices, especially the 9900/9930 and the 9810. Just haven't really have the time to actually go down and get them.

I honestly hope BlackBerry could survive, be it the BBOS7 and the BB10. I absolutely adore the phones, but NOT the company. I don't even mind if they really go the niche route to preserve their products and honor their loyalists. It'd be much more appreciated and beloved that way, considering. Even if it fails--which I don't think so. At the very least, with the proper market strategy, it'll survive.

I really believe that.

Posted via CB10
    I realize I won't be able to use the 9900 forever, but I am enjoying it as much as I can, and as long as it still works effectively, with BIS functional.

Why do you not like the company? Is it because of the decisions they made in the past or something?

05-08-16 10:25 PM
    Why do you not like the company? Is it because of the decisions they made in the past or something?

Yes, that, and what they're doing now with BB10 and Android. Not a fan, for sure.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-16 01:22 AM
    yes my 9900's still work ok and meet my needs, so happy Blackberry 9900 owner.
    05-09-16 01:20 PM
    When I blew my 9900's ear-piece speaker a few months ago and it was at the electronics repair place getting replaced, I put the sim card into my white/gold 9780 and it was up to the task as well. The Internet on it was a LOT slower but it still pulled through but if anyone has absolutely NO patience, it might be bad for their health

But if you want a really cheap $20-50 basic phone that can still do the net, email, the 9780 can still hit it IMO. I have seen them in local kijiji ads for as low as $20.

I still wonder if I would use the 9780 before going back to my iphone, say if my 9900 got destroyed somehow. I think for a while I would. The original battery it came with is the only one that still works and I had bought many spare 9780 batteries over the years. One developed a buldge in storage for some reason, others just wouldnt hold a good charge after a while, etc.

probably should have posted this in the 9780 forum

05-09-16 02:41 PM
    My 9930 is a good texting phone, but I am finding most e-mails are blank or won't load.

Unfortunately it's just becoming outdated. I reach for my Q10 for just about everything now.

Q10 SQN100-2 10.3.2.556 / 9930 7.1.0.1066
    05-09-16 07:30 PM
    My 9930 is a good texting phone, but I am finding most e-mails are blank or won't load.

Unfortunately it's just becoming outdated. I reach for my Q10 for just about everything now.

I will admit, this is the one thing which I am seeing more of lately which is a pain. I did some research and apparently it's a bug with OS7.1's ability to handle newer HTML. For example, if you reboot your device and try to open one of those blank emails, it will probably display fine. But after another try or two, it will go blank again along with other emails using more advanced or elaborate HTML.

For emails like this, I usually just delete them on the handset only and then review them from my z30 or PC later. It all depends what sort of email you subscribe to as well, but in my case most emails I get are text. You can also menu click and select 'get plain text' to view the email. But I would agree it's a drag.
    05-09-16 09:23 PM

Hmm... My 9930 and my 9900 email works fine. Maybe a setting? Html??
    05-09-16 09:53 PM
52 123