I'm getting tired of VZW and the lack of the updates, so looking at a possible move. I know my Priv won't work.

I know T-Mobile is allowing the M beta, and I believe they've been good about allowing the monthly updates. Am I correct on that?

Is there any benefit to getting it directly from T-Mobile as opposed to Shop Blackberry? I'm a bit nervous about updates going now but T-Mobile stopping them in the future, maybe that's just the Verizon customer in me. I figure in that case they wouldn't pay my Verizon ETF.
    04-21-16 06:11 PM
    I am thinking of leaving Verizon and going back to AT&T and getting the Priv from there. Still no updates from Verizon and I got my phone back 3/9.
    04-21-16 06:49 PM
    I am thinking of leaving Verizon and going back to AT&T and getting the Priv from there. Still no updates from Verizon and I got my phone back 3/9.
    When I asked Verizon, the first thing I was told was "Updates are important but they shouldn't be monthly" then "It's not all up to Verizon, it's Blackberry as well. This was after I'd originally said I was talking about the monthly security updates and that both ATT and TMo had already released April's several weeks ago. Then the beta M news today really got me thinking...
    04-21-16 07:11 PM
    T-Mobile branded Priv is behind on security updates, they have yet to push the April security patch and others have already been receiving the May security patch or will soon, so definitely both T-Mobile (and its Priv) are behind... While T-Mobile will be included in the Beta that doesn't guarantee they will be swift with updates. They started out keeping pace, but then it slowed. Now, keep in mind it takes TWO parties to create a carrier specific update, so it is not 100% T-Mobile's problem nor is it 100% BlackBerry's, BUT fact remains they haven't been on time as of lately...

Next RE: the benefits of a T-Mobile Priv vs shopblackberry Priv. The Privs sold by T-Mobile are the EXACT model sold by shopBlackBerry... T-Mobile's price is GREATLY inflated vs purchasing via shopBlackBerry, Amazon, etc... Finally, the shopBlackBerry Privs ALWAYS get pushed OS' first directly via BlackBerry whereas carrier-specific OS releases get released when they get released.

The shopBlackBerry Priv would be the best choice if you are looking to get OS updates in a timely fashion... The only benefit the T-Mobile Priv would have is the ability to purchase via an installment plan. So if being economically thrifty or fiscally responsible are your biggest drive this may be the option you want to examine...

Posted via CB10
    raino likes this.
    04-21-16 08:01 PM
    When I asked Verizon, the first thing I was told was "Updates are important but they shouldn't be monthly" then "It's not all up to Verizon, it's Blackberry as well. This was after I'd originally said I was talking about the monthly security updates and that both ATT and TMo had already released April's several weeks ago. Then the beta M news today really got me thinking...
    T-Mobile has not yet pushed the April update, they last addressed the March security patch so they too are behind...

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Attached Thumbnails A few Priv questions - might move from VZW-screenshot_2016-04-21-21-02-52.jpg  
    04-21-16 08:04 PM
    T-Mobile branded Priv is behind on security updates, they have yet to push the April security patch and others have already been receiving the May security patch or will soon, so definitely both T-Mobile (and its Priv) are behind... While T-Mobile will be included in the Beta that doesn't guarantee they will be swift with updates. They started out keeping pace, but then it slowed. Now, keep in mind it takes TWO parties to create a carrier specific update, so it is not 100% T-Mobile's problem nor is it 100% BlackBerry's, BUT fact remains they haven't been on time as of lately...

Next RE: the benefits of a T-Mobile Priv vs shopblackberry Priv. The Privs sold by T-Mobile are the EXACT model sold by shopBlackBerry... T-Mobile's price is GREATLY inflated vs purchasing via shopBlackBerry, Amazon, etc... Finally, the shopBlackBerry Privs ALWAYS get pushed OS' first directly via BlackBerry whereas carrier-specific OS releases get released when they get released.

The shopBlackBerry Priv would be the best choice if you are looking to get OS updates in a timely fashion... The only benefit the T-Mobile Priv would have is the ability to purchase via an installment plan. So if being economically thrifty or fiscally responsible are your biggest drive this may be the option you want to examine...

Posted via CB10
    Thanks. I think that's the route I'll go, direct to Blackberry.

I think T-Mobile's network locally has improved, plus of course there's wifi calling.
    04-21-16 08:32 PM
    Thanks. I think that's the route I'll go, direct to Blackberry.

I think T-Mobile's network locally has improved, plus of course there's wifi calling.
    I got my Priv from ShopBlackBerry and T-Mobile is my carrier. If you can afford to buy outright, this is the way to go IMHO. I know I am always going to get the updates in a timely manner.

Posted with my Priv via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-22-16 10:22 PM
    I got my Priv from ShopBlackBerry and T-Mobile is my carrier. If you can afford to buy outright, this is the way to go IMHO. I know I am always going to get the updates in a timely manner.

Posted with my Priv via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Agreed. Hopefully I can sell this Priv to help offset the ETF (since I can't use T-Mobile's offer to pay it off). I should have known, but when they shipped current, I actually didn't think it would be this bad.
    04-23-16 07:55 PM
    @dpeter11 first off, please make sure the TMO network has indeed improved wherever you are/travel to. If need be, take advantage of TMO's Lifetime Coverage Guarantee with one of the phones they offer, cancelling service under LCG and then signing up/porting for real. It's not a perfect evaluation program--LCG--but it will save you some headache.

Is there any benefit to getting it directly from T-Mobile as opposed to Shop Blackberry?
    Aside from the ETF reimbursement or EIP? Not really.

A few things I look for when buying TMO-compatible phones:

1. Band complement of phones (UMTS 1700 (AWS,) UMTS 1900, LTE bands 2, 4, 12)
    2. WiFi calling
    3. voLTE (I don't look for this per se, but quite a few people like it.)

You get all three in a ShopBB Priv plus an unlocked phone plus updates unhindered by carrier slowness. So IMO the benefits of getting the phone from ShopBB>the benefits of getting the phone from TMO.

And don't forget the other seller options that are available: Amazon, B&H and possibly Best Buy as well.
    04-24-16 05:48 PM
    @dpeter11 first off, please make sure the TMO network has indeed improved wherever you are/travel to. If need be, take advantage of TMO's Lifetime Coverage Guarantee with one of the phones they offer, cancelling service under LCG and then signing up/porting for real. It's not a perfect evaluation program--LCG--but it will save you some headache.

Aside from the ETF reimbursement or EIP? Not really.

A few things I look for when buying TMO-compatible phones:

1. Band complement of phones (UMTS 1700 (AWS,) UMTS 1900, LTE bands 2, 4, 12)
    2. WiFi calling
    3. voLTE (I don't look for this per se, but quite a few people like it.)

You get all three in a ShopBB Priv plus an unlocked phone plus updates unhindered by carrier slowness. So IMO the benefits of getting the phone from ShopBB>the benefits of getting the phone from TMO.

And don't forget the other seller options that are available: Amazon, B&H and possibly Best Buy as well.
    The network is my main concern. My parents seem to live in a dead zone until you go down the road a bit, which wouldn't normally be an issue, but their Internet provider is Frontier and has been unreliable. Last time I was there, I called the ISP and they claimed that due to network improvements they were doing, service would be degraded until that was complete, in about a year. Frontier did get rid of the 5gb per month acceptable use policy on DSL so I don't have to worry about that at least.

But I only go down there a few times a year so not sure I'd base it on that, and while it's not a dead zone, the verizon signal isn't that great there either. It looks pretty good in my main home area of Cincinnati.
    04-25-16 09:15 AM
    But I only go down there a few times a year so not sure I'd base it on that, and while it's not a dead zone, the verizon signal isn't that great there either. It looks pretty good in my main home area of Cincinnati.
    I still recommend you do an LCG check for Cincinnati. Coverage does not always speak to congestion.

If an LCG check at your parents' is not an option, check out coverage on sensorly.com, or here for band 12: Map of T-Mobile's 700 MHz spectrum. Band 12 helps with coverage, but not necessarily congestion. Worst case, you have to rely on WFC while you're there.
    04-25-16 01:49 PM
    I switched from Verizon to tmo partly for the priv, partly for more choice on future phones, and a slight cost savings. With tmo's recent offer of 2 lines, 6 gig each with all the other benefits for 80, it's become very competitive.

With that said, I definitely hit patches where coverage is lacking in my travels. It doesn't bother me as much as it does my wife haha. It is definitely a compromise.

The plus with the priv is that at&t uses the same model, so if even after doing a test run as has been suggested, if you are unhappy with tmo you could always just take your priv to at&t.

Good luck!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-26-16 08:04 AM