Hey folks,

I've been enjoying my bold for the past few months now, but just yesterday I noticed that the handset has been running warm even when there's zero activity on it, and it's killing my battery very quickly.

It was working perfectly fine before yesterday, GPS and Wifi are both off, or are at least indicated on the handset that they're off, so why is the battery draining so quickly? I can't seem to figure out why this would happen and will be calling rogers tech support soon, but wanted to know if anyone here has been experiencing this at all.

Btw there's also no music playing, and no software running that would be eating the battery more quickly than usual.
    12-01-08 03:08 PM
    Do you have facebook or viigo?
    12-01-08 03:17 PM
    Yup I've got both, but have had both for the past 3 months and there was never a problem. Usually my phone takes about an hour or so to fully recharge, today it took about 3-4 hours.

Unplugged it 2 hours ago, didn't really use it aside from checking to see the battery life, lo and behold there's less than 2 bars left.

Is there some new issue with facebook/viigo that sprung up over the weekend?
    12-01-08 03:21 PM
    There have been issues in the past with them constantly checking for updates. Especially facebook. Do you notice the data arrows are on very often? If there is an app that is constantly checking for updates it will drain the battery.
    12-01-08 03:57 PM
    Also what OS are you running?

I run .190 and even with AIM on 24/7, sms, email, wifi, audio playback, browsing, the phone has never gotten warm.
    12-01-08 04:05 PM
    The battery life of the bold seems to be effectively half of that of the 8800 when running the same applications. It's possibly something to do with the screen brightness?
    12-01-08 04:05 PM
    If you notice the screen brightness is running at a high setting a lot of the time, then yeah that will affect the battery life.
    12-01-08 04:15 PM
    try a battery pull..
    12-01-08 04:20 PM
    try a battery pull..
    Haha, what an educated piece of advice.

Bluetooth I've found to be a huge drain, I noticed you didn't mention its off? Typically I only turn either blutooth, wifi or gps when I want or need to use them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-01-08 05:18 PM
    As a side question... how many days (hours :-S) can you guys run on one full charge?
    12-01-08 05:29 PM
    Mine will last the whole weekend and still have 2 bars or 45% left on the monday.

Only ever got warm when I was browsing the web and chargeing it at the same time.

If you have os less than .185 then I recommend upgrading that first of all. I run .190 and it will last a week.
    12-01-08 05:42 PM
    I can charge my phone and finish by 10pm. As of now with 3 calls totaling 15 min and 3 dozen emails coming thru, i have 60% left 20 hours later.
    12-01-08 05:48 PM
    Hmmm... I used mine on Saturday and it only lasted a day...
    By the time I was going to sleep, it was shutting off my radio!
    And I am running .190
    What apps are you running?
    I am running WLM, FB, and Viigo
    Should I shut them down?

Also, I find that the phone gets hot when I talk on the phone for 20+ mins.

12-01-08 05:49 PM
    I charge mine every night, usually with moderate use (push emails, replying, internet use ( � wifi) and AP news checking for updates every 4 hours. And a few calls I have about one/two bars at bedtime.

12-01-08 05:56 PM
    I had done the O/S update when it was released a few weeks ago or so.

Bluetooth is also off.

I called tech support and he had me back up the BB and then wipe it, it's wiping it right now so hopefully that'll work. If it doesn't, then it looks like I may be getting a new one, which I also wouldn't mind because of the impending doom that awaits the trackball.

Edit: Btw it usually lasts at least 2 days on a single charge with normal use, depending on how much I use the music player.

Just did another full charge earlier, 2 hours later (without any use at all..ie: it was just left on the table to do nothing) it had a single bar remaining. It's draining as quickly as if I had the speakers cranked at full volume for 2 hours listening to music.
    Last edited by reck0n3r; 12-01-08 at 08:54 PM.
    12-01-08 08:51 PM
    If the phone is warm, something is using the radio. Hence the battery drain. Before wiping, I would have removed facebook and viigo and reinstalled them since wiping is a PITA. I have seen this with other apps. Sometimes they get fouled up a bit in the system.
    12-01-08 08:59 PM
    If the phone is warm, something is using the radio. Hence the battery drain. Before wiping, I would have removed facebook and viigo and reinstalled them since wiping is a PITA. I have seen this with other apps. Sometimes they get fouled up a bit in the system.
    Yeah, that's what I should have tried instead. It looks as if it might be fine now, but I'll have a better idea in the next hour or so, judging by how quickly it recharges.

Should I expect any problems with restoring it to the backed up state? I guess I'll find out.
    12-01-08 09:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD