Should BlackBerry try to bring back the legacy devices running older OS and find a way to help all BlackBerry users move along by maybe keeping the support for all BlackBerry phones (Bold, BB10 phones, etc.) and introducing a new version of OS that runs on all devices?

I made this post mainly due to seeing how BlackBerry is dying and me hoping BlackBerry can turn things around and survive and also me missing the old Bold phones (perfect size and form factor.)

What do you think?

Posted via CB10
    03-02-16 12:21 PM
    Nope

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    gugomat, web99, pgg101 and 4 others like this.
    03-02-16 12:22 PM
    No, they are not fit for the modern world we live in, they would get ripped apart

Posted via CB10
    Robert Roger likes this.
    03-02-16 12:30 PM
    you know when a floundering company is doomed; when its fan base is being nostalgic of its phased out products.
    03-02-16 12:34 PM
    03-02-16 12:36 PM
    Not to be rude. Just imagine if BB re-release the Storm and Storm 2
    03-02-16 12:41 PM
    Should BlackBerry try to bring back the legacy devices running older OS and find a way to help all BlackBerry users move along by maybe keeping the support for all BlackBerry phones (Bold, BB10 phones, etc.) and introducing a new version of OS that runs on all devices?

I made this post mainly due to seeing how BlackBerry is dying and me hoping BlackBerry can turn things around and survive and also me missing the old Bold phones (perfect size and form factor.)

What do you think?

Posted via CB10
    Your eyes look very dilated.
    Your idea sounds like some of the "brilliant ideas" that I came up with when my eyes were that dilated.
    03-02-16 12:56 PM
    Well....even if you think they are good phones (and I loved my Bold), you really wanna pay extra BIS-money in 2016 to get an email on your phone?!

Posted via CB10
    03-02-16 01:00 PM
    03-02-16 01:03 PM
    While we're at it, I hope Nokia releases a flip phone.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-16 01:11 PM
    @OP, they never left...if you have one, it will still work. BlackBerry didn't leave BBOS. People left BlackBerry.

Q10SQN100-2/10.3.2.2876
    03-02-16 01:26 PM
    Never. Move on.

Look, I love my OS10 device; Passport SE. But, if it takes the Priv Android for BlackBerry to survive so be it. Looking backwards and hoping that the past will save the future is nonsense.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-02-16 01:34 PM
    NO....

Many markets, it's now more expensive to use a BBOS device. In a few it has become impossible to add a new BBOS device as Carriers already have plans to phase those services out.

Now I do think there is an enterprise/goverment market that is looking more for a secure communications device and less for a smartphone. But they are slowing migrating to BB10 in those cases... really no reason to bring BBOS back.
    03-02-16 01:38 PM
    While we're at it, I hope Nokia releases a flip phone.

Posted via CB10
    Can we expand this to other types of electronics? I'd love a new old Atari.

Posted via CB10
    jas1978, jegs2 and Adam Kowalczyk1 like this.
    03-02-16 01:48 PM
    Please don't be serious.
    Carjackd and Blacklatino like this.
    03-02-16 01:51 PM
    Far out...! That was *very* rude... ;-D

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    Ronindan likes this.
    03-02-16 03:22 PM
    Where is Belfast Dispatcher....this threads for him

Posted by my fabulous red Passport
    03-02-16 04:31 PM
    BB has never been able to make a cheap enough BB10 device for less developed markets, to compete with the Android and Windows devices that dominate there. BBOS could be used to regain those markets. Tizen launched last year in 4 countries and sold 3 million devices (India, Bangladesh, Nepal, Sri Lanka ). What's interesting is that those phones are 3G and have data compression (called Ultra Savings Data Mode), just like BBOS.
    03-02-16 04:59 PM
    BB has never been able to make a cheap enough BB10 device for less developed markets, to compete with the Android and Windows devices that dominate there. BBOS could be used to regain those markets. Tizen launched last year in 4 countries and sold 3 million devices (India, Bangladesh, Nepal, Sri Lanka ). What's interesting is that those phones are 3G and have data compression (called Ultra Savings Data Mode), just like BBOS.
    Sounds like a great idea! If BlackBerry can remove BIS as a necessity for BBOS to run with normal data plan, that might be a great place to start.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-16 05:07 PM
    I don't think there are any BBOS developers left at Blackberry, so the answer is no. Blackberry is looking to be a small and profitable niche player in the mobile hardware business and focus on other things.

Posted via CB10
    StoicEngineer and Bbnivende like this.
    03-02-16 05:18 PM

Ahh, we had some great discussions back then! #TheGoodOldDays
    03-02-16 06:03 PM

I think waiting to call everyone out in his "I told you so" place holder thread about the Classic being BBOS 7.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-02-16 06:31 PM
    Well, I'm sitting here posting this on my 9900. Going on 5 yrs old. Classic, Passport, Z30 & PlayBook are all cradled & charging on my desk. Exhausted as I, after a 20+ hr day.

Just swapped batts in 99 and it's back to 100% & ready for more. Holding and using this nearly 5yr old compact device is downright relaxing. Soothingly comforting.

Why am I using a 5yr old BlackBerry while the best of BB10 sits on my desk? Simply because BlackBerry has yet to produce a device I LIKE better! That's not MY fault. That's BB's fault.

If they had provided genuine 9900 style upgrades I WOULD be using them. They chose not. I choose not. Sales lost.

As far as "bringing back legacy devices"?? The talent needed to do that is likely long gone. Probably unrealistic to expect that BB would muster the necessary resources to reassemble a competent team for that at this point.
    03-02-16 06:55 PM
    Not a chance. Times have changed.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-16 07:34 PM
    Well, I'm sitting here posting this on my 9900. Going on 5 yrs old. Classic, Passport, Z30 & PlayBook are all cradled & charging on my desk. Exhausted as I, after a 20+ hr day.

Just swapped batts in 99 and it's back to 100% & ready for more. Holding and using this nearly 5yr old compact device is downright relaxing. Soothingly comforting.

Why am I using a 5yr old BlackBerry while the best of BB10 sits on my desk? Simply because BlackBerry has yet to produce a device I LIKE better! That's not MY fault. That's BB's fault.

If they had provided genuine 9900 style upgrades I WOULD be using them. They chose not. I choose not. Sales lost.

As far as "bringing back legacy devices"?? The talent needed to do that is likely long gone. Probably unrealistic to expect that BB would muster the necessary resources to reassemble a competent team for that at this point.
    Yeah I'm sure BB is upset over the fact that you bought 3 of their BB10 devices and a Playbook but decided to go back to a legacy device. They wiped their tears with the money they made off of you.
    TgeekB and JeepBB like this.
    03-02-16 08:24 PM
910 123 ...