Just spent the holiday weekend using the Storm tethered as a modem w/ my laptop while traveling. Let me say that it was over 10x faster and 110% more reliable than my buddies ATT 3g air card. Go VZW and Storm!!
    12-01-08 06:58 AM
    One of the main reasons that I got the BB over anything else is because of the tethering feature. I travel to NYC via a ferry from NJ and without this function I would have a lot of down time (there is no WiFi on my ferry).

I also travel alot to race tracks in the northeast which also do not support WiFi. Again without this I would be stuck.

As a added bonus the BB Storm seems to be much quicker than my MotQ using a tether which is very nice.
    12-01-08 07:07 AM
    how do you tether the storm to a lap top? what are the steps? thanks.
    12-01-08 08:11 AM
    Haha vzw fan boys rejoice. I've had similar experiences. Turns out Verizon really has more bars in more places. Not trying to start a carrier war just my opinion

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-01-08 08:21 AM
    To tether you have to download vz access manager and then pay Verizon 15 bones a month.

12-01-08 08:34 AM
    Has anyone compared tethering speed on the 8830 to the new Storm? I haven't really had a chance to test. Should it at least be theoretically faster?
    12-01-08 08:34 AM
    how do you tether the storm to a lap top? what are the steps? thanks.
    First you have to pay VZW so you are allowed to tether I believe you also need the unlimited plan from BB (if you search there are ways to tether without paying the tethering fee and, I believe, without having the unlimited service. Just note it will break your contract agreement with verizon).

If you go the way verizon wants you to go it is pretty simple install:

In my storm package I had the latest version of VZW access manager (vzam) which included the drivers for the Blackberry storm. It will walk you through the steps on how to set everything up. It took all of 5 mins maybe. Basically it installs the program, asks for your phone number, asks you to connect your BB to your pc via usb and then completes the install.

If you do not have the CD then you can go to VZW and download the right one for the Storm (I searched on verizon access manager blackberry). I had to do this for my laptop since it doesnt have a internal cd player and I was too lazy to hook up the external.

on my first attempt of doing it this way I first downloaded the Blackberry storm drivers and blackberry desktop manager and installed them. It would not allow me to connect to the internet (I was connecting to the internet via an older version of vzam already I just wanted the updated version).

After I uninstalled everything that was BB including the newest version of vzam and then reinstalled vzam on its own everything worked fine. I then reinstalled desktop manager. I am not sure why this happened since everything installed fine with my desktop, but I got it to work.
    12-01-08 08:36 AM
    To tether you have to download vz access manager and then pay Verizon 15 bones a month.

And other than that, you simply connect to your laptop with a USB cable. It is probably the main reason for choosing a BB over an Iphone!
    12-01-08 08:36 AM
    Not to mention saving $40-50 clams a month, and ditching your wireless card.
    12-01-08 08:46 AM
    I've tethered with virtually every berry model AT&T carries except the Bold. I know people and the advertisements say Verizon's network is faster, but I can honestly say that it actually is.

I'm extremely happy with tethering on VZW network. It's simple to setup and it's very fast.
    12-01-08 08:52 AM
    While I haven't tested this specifically with the Storm, I've tethered with my Verizon Treo many times and it works great.

With the Treo (using the VZ Access Manager software), you have the option to connect either via USB or via Bluetooth. I'm assuming the Storm has the same capability. If that's the case, it makes it very easy to tether with a laptop (assuming you have Bluetooth on the laptop); don't even have to take the Storm off your belt.
    12-01-08 09:18 AM
    Btw.. unless the rep that sold me my phone was wrong.. He indicated that we get 30 days free tethering, from the date of purchase I'm guessing.
    12-01-08 09:45 AM
    If they are using BIS and not BES, it's not $15/month, it's $30/mo. If they are on BIS and they think it's only an extra $15/mo, they are going to be in for a surprise when they get their next bill.

Just to be clear, that's $30 a month on top of what you already pay for BIS.
    Last edited by TravellingFool; 12-01-08 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Added a quote
    12-01-08 09:50 AM
    I have BIS for 29.99 a month and I for a 100% fact, for the last 8 months only pay 14.99 tethering fee. FWIW
    12-01-08 10:09 AM
    I have BIS for 29.99 a month and I for a 100% fact, for the last 8 months only pay 14.99 tethering fee. FWIW
    I have BIS also and VZW told me the charge is $29.99/mth. Since I only tether at my weekend house, I start the service when I go down and stop it when I leave- VZW then prorates my days of use against the monthly charge -- much better deal.
    01-10-09 08:04 AM
    When I Am Tethered !!!!! I Get No Ring Tone When A Call Is Coming In???? Any 1 Have A Solution???? Please Help Its Always The Boss Calling!!!!!!!!lol
    01-13-09 04:55 PM
    When I Am Tethered !!!!! I Get No Ring Tone When A Call Is Coming In???? Any 1 Have A Solution???? Please Help Its Always The Boss Calling!!!!!!!!lol
    See if this works...dial *765 ...acording to VZW this will allow calls to stop data session. If you dial *7650 disallow calls.
    You have to do this once only before you start tethering session.
    You also have to use a ring tone that is stored on the device not on the storage card.
    01-13-09 05:23 PM
    I have BIS also and VZW told me the charge is $29.99/mth. Since I only tether at my weekend house, I start the service when I go down and stop it when I leave- VZW then prorates my days of use against the monthly charge -- much better deal.
    I have BIS - and I am also charged $29.99/month for tethering. The CS rep told me the $15 / month tethering is for BES customers.

How do you disconnect tethering? Can you do it online or do you have to call them each time you enable and disable it?
    01-13-09 05:28 PM
    If you tether only occasionally, note that you can call VZW to turn it on and then terminate tethering after the days you use it -- no need to pay for the capability just in case you'll need it on the road.

"BB Connect" in VZW-speak
    01-14-09 04:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD