I'm sure you guys get tons of this but i'm stuck for choice as no one near me or even shops stock the classic.

I've been on an iPhone 5 for almost 3-4 years now and think it is fair to say I want to upgrade. My main reason is so that I can use 4G which my iPhone 5 couldn't (not due to hardware but due to networks not having the right wavelength or something).

I've had an 16GB iPhone 5 for the whole time and still have 9GB free space which is a testament to my needs.

I literally only use my phone for the following:

calls/texts/emails
    web browsing (wikipedia/news/random google)
    youtube videos
    spotify music
    amazon app
    lloyds banking app
    calculator/gym calorie calculators

that is really it. I don't use the camera much at all, no facebook/instagram/games etc. I appreciate that the video scaling is bad but is there any other issues that I would find?

I find the classic very aesthetic which is why I want to go for it, but i wouldn't be able to hold/see one unless I buy it due to it's scarcity where I live. I also hate android so that is out of the question.

Anyone able to offer some insight?

Thanks
    02-10-16 09:03 AM
    About a year ago I went iPhone 5 -> Q10. (caveat, I've never actually handled a classic either)

For the things you have listed above, I can't see you regretting the switch. For the calls/text/email predominant user, the BB10 experience is much better/fluid than iOS IMO. Once you get used to BB10, you won't want to leave. I can't comment on the availability of the banking app you use.

The Classic is by no means a "high end" device spec-wise (processor is somewhat old), but should be more than adequate to perform the tasks you listed.
    Hope that helps. Welcome to crackberry
    02-10-16 09:25 AM
    Iphone 6S imho
    02-10-16 09:26 AM
    6S.... It's a new phone and very well might last you another 3 - 4 years.

The Classic is built on 3 year old hardware and the OS is "looking" like it's EOL by the end of this year. Just more of a risk on how functional the phone will be in the coming years.
    02-10-16 09:28 AM
    Hi my friend. My opinion if you like blackberry then try the blackberry classic otherwise buy the iPhone. I use blackberry q5 and I love it so much the blackberry os is the best os in my opinion. I hope that help you

Posted via CB10
    02-10-16 10:52 AM
    I have a classic and I use it like the original poster plus calendar/organization. Works PERFECTLY fine. Great actually. Plenty fast enough. I can see using it for a long time. Size is just about right too. If I need to do more I simply prefer to use a computer.

I have a few apps beyond the stock ones. I'm good.

I did have the trackpad go wild once but seems good now.
    joseanmx likes this.
    02-10-16 02:29 PM
    If you use youtube and web browsing as sole source of entertainment go for the 6s, that also handle the other tasks you mention flawlessly. About feel in hand, the classic feels great! But so does the iphone. I have both, and I like BB10 a lot, specially the hub and the physical keyboard in the case of the classic. However, if I had to pick just one and not in a budget I think I would grab an iphone 6s. Buy a classic from amazon, make sure it is the sqc100-4 if you are in the us, or the verizon version if you are with them. Try it out and decide, amazon is great when it comes to returns. Also make sure you buy it from amazon or a vendor that is fulfilled by amazon, otherwise return policy may be different.
    tarosst likes this.
    02-10-16 07:43 PM
    02-10-16 08:21 PM
    Personally -- and this is just me -- I despise Apple's predatory behavior. Look up Error 53, were once again Apple is in violation restrain of trade and probably the Sherman Ant-trust Act. Their refusal to sell OEM parts to perfectly competent shops has taken on a whole new level (if you have had any 3rd party service done on the screen or home button of the 6 or 6s, the next time you upgrade the OS it will wipe and permanently brick your phone. Some phones that haven't had service are getting wiped and bricked anyway. It cannot be reversed.)

Anyway. I'm in the entertainment biz and a very large number of people I work with have both a BBerry (dedicated to biz) and either an iPhone or an Android. A week ago I bought a Classic for my assistant, on my ID, with my biz contacts and a separate calendar that syncs my appointments on my Z10. Which is when I realized many of my contemporaries were doing the same -- just keeping all work related info off "toy phones" as they refer to iPhones. I have to decide what to upgrade my Z10 to -- a Priv or Z30.
    will308 likes this.
    02-12-16 09:11 AM
    If you want and need all the apps and the bells and whistles then go go for the 6s but if not the classic rocks.

Posted via CB10
    02-12-16 09:57 AM
    Personally -- and this is just me -- I despise Apple's predatory behavior. Look up Error 53, were once again Apple is in violation restrain of trade and probably the Sherman Ant-trust Act. Their refusal to sell OEM parts to perfectly competent shops has taken on a whole new level (if you have had any 3rd party service done on the screen or home button of the 6 or 6s, the next time you upgrade the OS it will wipe and permanently brick your phone. Some phones that haven't had service are getting wiped and bricked anyway. It cannot be reversed.)

Anyway. I'm in the entertainment biz and a very large number of people I work with have both a BBerry (dedicated to biz) and either an iPhone or an Android. A week ago I bought a Classic for my assistant, on my ID, with my biz contacts and a separate calendar that syncs my appointments on my Z10. Which is when I realized many of my contemporaries were doing the same -- just keeping all work related info off "toy phones" as they refer to iPhones. I have to decide what to upgrade my Z10 to -- a Priv or Z30.
    great post, very interesting perspective. makes me appreciate bbry more. i just wish the os was still kept up properly.

Posted via CB10
    02-12-16 10:29 AM
    I used to have an iphone 5s for 2 years and bought a BlackBerry Classic, 4 months ago! The main reason for this change was the fact that I needed a more efficient device for my work (emails, tasks, calendar, texts, clear voice calls and speaker phone, little browsing) as I have had an experience with an old BlackBerry Curve which I used it for 3 years and I was impressed with its efficiency . So, after 4 months of use of the BlackBerry classic, I can assure you that the performance of the classic for my purposes (business) it is excellent. Emails sync to an enterprise server are loaded instantly (always faster than my colleagues iphone 6), also I can attach files very easily to an email compared to an iphone. Furthermore I can see and respond to texts, emails or other messages very fast because of the hub. The hardware itself is very nice and professional and the keyboard is amazing. The drawbacks I can say about this phone is the fact that it is not so fast as the iphone and also browsing through iphone is better and more responsive. Also some apps may not be available and most of them are paid compared to ios which has more and free.

Having said the above, is the purpose and the use of the phone should determine your decision and of course your budget.

Hope the above helps

Posted via CB10
    02-12-16 10:55 AM
    Can I use my classic's mobilt hot spot for my Ipod touch?? because im planning to buy one for the apps that I need...

Posted via CB10
    02-12-16 08:13 PM
    Classic

Posted via CB10
    02-12-16 08:56 PM
    6s would be a safer choice.
    Of course classic is also a nice phone but it lacks of apps.

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Classic
    02-13-16 02:56 AM
    6s would be a safer choice.
    Of course classic is also a nice phone but it lacks of apps.

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Classic
    hehe but ip6s is missing the best part of BlackBerry classics keyboard...

Posted via CB10
    02-13-16 03:25 AM
    Buy both......
    02-13-16 03:25 AM
    If your current phone is an iPhone, why not stick with Apple? What is making you even consider a BlackBerry? Are you simply looking for something different?

I had an iPhone 4 several years ago and got rid of it to get a Q10. I didn't regret the switch. That having been said, BlackBerry...BB10...is a dead OS. And if you get the Classic, which I'm sure is a great phone, and you end up liking it a lot, you won't be able to continue with that OS after that phone's useful life span has come to an end.

My advice to you is to get an iPhone 6.

I went from a Q10 To a Z10, which is what I have now. My next phone, if Verizon still offers them in a year, will be a Classic. But after that, I'm going iPhone. Not interested in Android.

Posted via Z10
    02-13-16 06:22 AM
    You are comparing 2 completely different platforms filling different needs.

Classic: great communication tool with the PKB, keyboard shortcuts, expandable memory, Blend, Hub, NFC (I use this with smart tag in my car for flawless connection to my car stereo and handsfree usage), expandable memory, great native file manager, travel app, easy multi tasking with 8 tiles open, Bluetooth that pairs with majority of device out there, universal micro USB charging cable, StoryMaker app, durable phone and good battery life.

IPHONE: if you have other family members using iPhones too, Facetime is a huge plus. Plug and play technology which many users find so easy and convenient. Larger phone and screen. Good cloud interface for storage, file storage etc, easy availability and repairs. Apps, of course.

Good luck with your choice. I know you said you hate Android but might not hurt to actually look at videos of the Priv. It combines the security and efficiency of BlackBerry along with the app and some customization options of Android. I found the tutorial videos of the Priv the most helpful.

Posted via Classic
    02-13-16 10:23 AM
    BlackBerry Classic is absolutely the superior device when it comes to call quality, typing on the pkb for email and texting, and email efficiency. If you love music and unique apps then you will get frustrated. It's a shame what has happened to BlackBerry because they do the basics so much better than the competition. One of my employees wanted an iphone 5s and after I setup his email I quickly remembered how goofy the virtual keyboard felt. Iphone is a well made quality device but for everyday communication it's just not the workhorse the Classic is. No wrong decision here. Personal preference...

Posted via CB10
    02-13-16 02:48 PM
    If you were a former BlackBerry user, I'd say you could easily go for the Classic. Since you are not, it is just very important that you know what the classic really is.

The phone is not up to modern standards, specs wise, and it is not nearly on the level of an iPhone 6S.

It is a great phone if you want something compact and trimmed to business with a strong focus on mailing and texting. No issues doing the occasional web search or even youtube videos, however, don't expect great multimedia capabilities.

So in short, the Classic can be a great device but you really have to WANT it for what it is. If you're looking for an upgrade technology wise, better stick to the iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    anon(5830442) likes this.
    02-13-16 03:03 PM
    from what you have said I would say the classic would be good for you ,how about looking on ebay I picked up a z30 for the wife last year in as new condtion for not a lot of money and then if you don't like the classic you can just put it back on ebay and go and get your iPhone
    02-16-16 12:39 AM
    6s, please!

Posted via CB10
    02-16-16 01:13 AM