BlackBerry's odds of success increase greatly if it ditches hardware, says Cormark - Cantech Letter

"Cormark analyst Richard Tse says the transition from the old hardware-focused BlackBerry to a new software-led concern is a tough one that could be expedited if the company ditched hardware altogether.

The analyst met with BlackBerry management late last week. He says that while BlackBerry�s turnaround has been an �uphill battle� for some time, he believes the shift towards enterprise is lucrative enough that the rewards on the stock now outweigh the risks."

My question: Does BB 'make' it's own phones, or, doesn't it order phones to their specs from a third party? If BB does ditch hardware, I need to place and order for one more Passport and maybe one Priv. I don't have a problem going to Priv other than the eyestrain that I get from reading on narrow screens. For whatever reason I don't like flipping slab phones to read wide but short page. 'Reader Mode' helps. But when I used my Nexus 4 I had terrible eye/headaches daily that disappeared when I got my Passport.
    02-02-16 07:36 AM
    Now that they have bought GOOD, yes their chances of survival without hardware have improved.

But "enterprise is lucrative" is still very much in question. BES has lost a lot of marketshare - even as they have slashed their licensing fees. And while Good has been gaining marketshare, but they basically have been buying it. So it really just depends on what Chen does to make Good profitable, and if they are able to maintain that growth that Good has seen while doing so....

And there is always QNX.... never know when some IoT or car software package might save the day for them.

But right now, hardware is still too much of their "business". Chen still needs time to build up the software business...
    bakron1 likes this.
    02-02-16 07:52 AM
    It depends on how hardware is defined in the future for BlackBerry. Chen has motioned that hardware didn't necessarily mean phones. Tracking devices, modules for the car, hbox for health care. There's enough to make a go at it.

Posted via CB10
    02-02-16 06:20 PM
    It depends on how hardware is defined in the future for BlackBerry. Chen has motioned that hardware didn't necessarily mean phones. Tracking devices, modules for the car, hbox for health care. There's enough to make a go at it.
    Absolutely true, but in this context, the "hardware business" is the smartphone hardware business. The analyst isn't talking about potential future non-smartphone hardware - there is definitely potential there (not as big as smartphones, due to their mass adoption, but still profit potential), if BB can get it right, have the right partnerships in place, and get there before Apple, Google, or Amazon do (I don't hold out much hope for MS; they're usually behind and playing catch-up, though they often do catch up and become competitive eventually).
    02-02-16 08:23 PM
    The Priv is being released in an impressive amount of places. I think clearly the jury is out still whether or not BB can have a sustainable niche with Android, secure physical keyboard devices. It at least *looks like they are making a real push for it. Maybe the next President will be rocking a Priv instead of a Bold.

Posted via CB10
    02-03-16 01:20 AM
    Maybe the next President will be rocking a Priv instead of a Bold.

Posted via CB10
    Hahah don't count too much on it

Posted via CB10
    02-03-16 08:34 AM
    Trump Will build a Wall around BlackBerry .
    02-05-16 02:36 PM
    With iBricks or droidMuck?

� CB10 via BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition �
    02-05-16 03:02 PM
    .......and make Chen pay for it.

What we got here is failure to communicate....
    02-05-16 03:23 PM
    I don't think BlackBerry would survive without hardware. Hardware has been the foundation of this company. If they quit selling mobile devices, then any bunnies partner wouldn't take them seriously.

Here's how it would look:
    They tried to sell phones, but they weren't good enough at it so they quit. That's why it's better for them to continue with a failing hardware division than non at all. Otherwise, all they've got in the portfolio is a long line of failed business ventures...

Q10 - 10.3.2.2876/SR .2836  < α∂∂ι�т > 
    jope28 likes this.
    02-06-16 04:02 PM
    No. They are not that good with software and BES is still not gaining users. BBM is dieing. QNX does not make enough. Right now they are living on cash flow. Otherwise Chen would of ditched hardware sooner.
    02-06-16 04:15 PM
    I don't think BlackBerry would survive without hardware. Hardware has been the foundation of this company. If they quit selling mobile devices, then any bunnies partner wouldn't take them seriously.

Here's how it would look:
    They tried to sell phones, but they weren't good enough at it so they quit. That's why it's better for them to continue with a failing hardware division than non at all. Otherwise, all they've got in the portfolio is a long line of failed business ventures...

Your cup runneth over with wrongability. Here is an analogy. Your strategy is akin to not amputating ones gangrenous arm because it would spoil the line of ones suit.
    Last edited by DrBoomBotz; 02-06-16 at 08:55 PM.
    TgeekB, JeepBB and Elephant_Canyon like this.
    02-06-16 04:18 PM
    The problem is hardware was the heart of what BlackBerry was...

Chen has QNX to build on, along with Good and other acquisitions... but BlackBerry as we knew it is terminal.
    02-09-16 09:59 AM
    If they quit selling mobile devices, then any bunnies partner wouldn't take them seriously.
    Bunnies are tough to please.
    Even Bugs is still sticking to his old phones.

-serveimage-blackberry-bunny-phone.jpeg
    -serveimage-bbunny.jpeg

 Frosty White Q10/.2876 CB10 
    ZeBB45 likes this.
    02-13-16 03:33 PM
    Bunnies are tough to please.
    Even Bugs is still sticking to his old phones.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	serveimage BlackBerry bunny phone.jpeg 
Views:	174 
Size:	7.8 KB 
ID:	391233
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	serveimage Bbunny.jpeg 
Views:	173 
Size:	13.6 KB 
ID:	391234

 Frosty White Q10/.2876 CB10 
    These bunnies don't take much seriously these days.

-ok.jpeg

jope28 and neoberry99 like this.
    02-13-16 03:46 PM
    BBRY ditching hardware would put them in bankruptcy.

Rocking a Z30
    02-14-16 05:24 PM