Hi, everyone !
    Been looking at BB's ever since Z10 came out but lack of radio in its chipset kept me away from buying it, pulled the trigger on Q5, was waiting for reasonable mid-level Lumia's but 640 is step down from 735(which I owned previously) and it seems like MS will continue to put feeble 1Gb of RAM in their middle-level phones just like they have been doing so far so Lumia is out of question at the moment!

Got Q5 one in red since white one seemed too dull and black one is sold out over here.
    Paid around 125$ new if converted from euros, good price if you ask me.

What was instantly liked:
    - keyboard(only reason for not getting any other company or OS)
    - bb hub usability(beats WP here by many miles, especially when it comes to e-mails)
    - pretty fast UI
    - very fast browser!
    - did superficial lookup on BB's security and looks like they are taking it seriously, so unless I share my device password/PIN or install malware infested app from 3rd party it should remain very safe for personal use.

Now testing its battery life in power saver mode, all radios off, switched to GSM mode, using as dumb phone(texting and calling is minimal) and basically letting it sit around just to see how long it can endure in standby mode and its been 26 hours since charge and the battery is at 88%.
    Reference is my previous Lumia 735 which managed 5 days in similar usage scenario, with, perhaps, slightly more use, but Im now looking at how well Q5 handles standby, how efficient it is at this to know how long in case of extreme neccessity one could use this phone when its battery drops to, say, 35% and theres no outlet nearby so all radios get turned off and battery saver feature activated for emergency.

Just so it doesnt appears like all too exciting:
    - App selection is limited in BB World and Amazon Store, side loaded two apps from Google Play and one of them doesnt work(WirelessMobileUtility for Nikon cameras - wont connect) and the other has limited screen space to work with and its something Im considering to remove due to security concerns(Xiaomi Mi Fit app).
    - Keyboard could have been matte because it gets slightly slippery after holding it in hands for prolonged time.

So far so good, looks like a keeper.
    Last edited by VaRuLV; 01-17-16 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Minor typos and introduction.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    01-17-16 02:21 PM
    The battery drains around 1% per hour in standby in my experience. Maybe even less.

The phone is great for basic stuff which is what I need. And that's why I'm still using it all day, every day. Email, text, BBM, calling.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-16 07:05 PM
    Q5 has become my daily driver and that's saying a lot coming from a Z10/Z30 combo. And indeed $125 is a good price for the Q5. I bought mine for $99 CAN.

"A cow pie ain't something you bring to the county fair "
    01-17-16 10:54 PM
    Q5 is also my daily and I got it for $99 plus unlocking so around the same @125. I have Z10 and Passport as well. When I first got my Z10, coming from an iPod and flip phone, I thought it was gargantuan so I still like a smaller device and appreciate that the Q is a little more smaller and rounded. Hope you enjoy it

Posted via CB10
    01-18-16 07:07 AM
    Im still testing it, but it looks like if I disable power saver and enable wifi and do some minor texting, whatsapp messaging and mailing then it drops off rather quickly.
    Anyway, hard to tell, I can still return it if the battery turns out to be rather poor in real life scenario, but thats still couple of days away so will charge it up next morning and see how it fares!
    One thing for sure, having qwerty makes me want to pick up this phone and just do stuff with it, it feels more like tool for productivity rather than only playing games and watching videos. That might partly explain why the battery drained so quickly !
    01-18-16 06:41 PM
    What's App might be the culprit. I don't use it but I recall reading that it is a battery hog?

Perhaps try without it to see if there is any difference. Just a suggestion.

Posted via CB10
    01-18-16 07:44 PM
    Following up on double_fault's suggestion to me twitter is also been a battery hog as well.

Posted via CB10
    01-18-16 08:38 PM
    What's App might be the culprit. I don't use it but I recall reading that it is a battery hog?

Perhaps try without it to see if there is any difference. Just a suggestion.

Posted via CB10
    Only if you're sending or receiving a lot of messages. But that's typical of anything you do on your phone.

Depending on your OS though don't know if you've done this already you can try going into the device monitor in the app manager and see if the re something draining your battery.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-16 10:40 AM
    Thanks for suggestions, but there isnt any particular app, Whatsapp ate very little of battery life.

System is the biggest battery eater with 24%, next is display with 17% and standby with 10%.

As I mentioned earlier, it was not used that much.

Anyway, installed the latest update in the meanwhile and now learning to type on its qwerty kb while charging it up.

Will enable battery saver for night with wifi disabled and turn battery saver off and wifi on during day time and try to take notes for how long Im using it to see how stacks up to my reference point L735.

New phone wil always see more play time for first week, thats why cant say whether this thing suits me or not !

Posted via CB10
    01-19-16 04:38 PM
    Red Q5 is hard to find and expensive when you do in Canada. I believe Virgin had exclusive access to that colour.
    You said the keyboard was slippery which seemed odd but I find the back is so. A very cheap silicon BlackBerry case fixes this easily for you. My wife has 1 in red and she loves her phone and won't let me upgrade it for her. Simple, light and tough little bit of kit and BB10 is brilliant.

Posted via CB10
    01-28-16 10:52 AM
    Q5 is also my daily and I got it for $99 plus unlocking so around the same @125. I have Z10 and Passport as well. When I first got my Z10, coming from an iPod and flip phone, I thought it was gargantuan so I still like a smaller device and appreciate that the Q is a little more smaller and rounded. Hope you enjoy it

Posted via CB10
    Great to see that you're still around After trying out an Android phone lately, I'll be getting the Q5 and Classic again tomorrow Looking forward to install RetroArch again
    Pcmx likes this.
    02-02-16 03:57 PM
    Great to see that you're still around After trying out an Android phone lately, I'll be getting the Q5 and Classic again tomorrow Looking forward to install RetroArch again
    That's something I thought of, if whenever it comes time to where I stop using the q5 daily, it's still got to be one of the smoother and smaller multi-console "Gameboys" I've had yet and I like the square screen and tactile keys for that

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    02-02-16 06:50 PM
    Hi, folks!
    Little update time - unfortunately I had to return it due to multiple reasons, main concerns being:
    -battery life was not convincing
    -lack of key apps for it, despite Android Player Android apps that I tried were laggy and stuttering(and I thought that WP is lacking apps lol)
    -native BB apps had no recent updates from the company itself and most of them were from 2013 so not convincing if the company doesnt stand behind their own apps
    -as well as the fact that BB 10OS is basically dropped in favour of Android
    -keyboard turned out to be slightly too small for my fingers+no native support for my language and "." and "," being under ALT made it inconvenient for me
    -too chubby for this day and age, would want to see something slimmer than what Q5 is - if all else wouldnt be present this wouldnt be issue at all, but those things summed up pretty well !

Time will show if Blackberry release decent midranger for good price, it would be nice to check that one out, but it seems that they purely believe that releasing overpriced phones is going to solve their financial issues in regards to mobile phone division of theirs, which is odd.
    It appears that they went the same route Nokia did(missed the train to smartphones) and Microsoft is now continuing with lack of decent midrangers for good price(at least MS are releasing budget phones in pretty large numbers-models, if not too large).
    02-06-16 07:29 AM