I knew that I was undoubtedly going to be charged the $15.00 upgrade fee when I purchased my Priv last month and yes, it appeared on my current bill. I have never paid an upgrade fee in all the years I've been with AT&T when I've purchased a device from them. It wasn't an issue with my previous BlackBerrys as I purchased them from ShopBlackBerry.

I called customer service yesterday and discussed this with them telling them I haven't paid an upgrade fee in all the years I've been with them. Since 1991. The customer service rep dropped the $15.00 upgrade fee without a problem.

Now I don't know if this is possible for everyone because as I said I've been a long standing customer...but it's worth a try!!!

Bob

Posted via the CrackBerry App with my BlackBerry Priv on AT&T
    12-23-15 09:48 AM
    An upgrade fee sounds like a scam. If you were eligible for a phone upgrade and did, there should not be an extra cost associated with that.
    kbz1960 and 00stryder like this.
    12-23-15 10:18 AM
    That's great to hear that they waived it. I think that all companies are charging this "upgrade fee" now when you use your eligible upgrade to get a phone. It's lame, since you stuck around with them for the term of the contract and you deserve it, but then they still charge you to use it.

This is why I just buy my phones unlocked and not worried about a contract or anything like that.
    12-23-15 11:19 AM
    Agreed...as I mentioned my previous devices, Q10 and Z10, we're purchased through ShopBlackBerry so it wasn't an issue. I opted to get my Priv from AT&T because I was impetuous...😁

Bob

12-23-15 04:50 PM
    Sounds like the $20 activation fee Rogers charges. Bunch of rubbish, I pop in my Sim and I'm good to go. Don't need anything done on your end.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-15 04:58 PM
    Yep, I think all carriers whether they be in the states, Canada, or elsewhere, all try and feather their beds by attempting to charge these additional fees. In this case I wasn't willing to pay an upgrade fee even though it wasn't a large amount of money, $15.00, so that's why I called and challenged AT&T over it and ultimately got it waived very quickly.

Bob

Mr4aces likes this.
    12-23-15 05:29 PM
    I shouldn't have to work to buy clean water so I don't DIE OF THIRST, but I still have to.

The more you do this, the less valuable you will appear to be in the future.
    12-28-15 02:37 PM
    Good to hear that.

I periodically call and see if there is a special deal that I qualify for.
    Just went from 1g to 2g for the same price.
    Love ATT
    12-28-15 03:11 PM
    I shouldn't have to work to buy clean water so I don't DIE OF THIRST, but I still have to.
    Actually, I'd argue that in most places... you don't have to . But I do live in Canada with easy access to forests and mountain streams.

In fact in a gathering and hunting lifestyle, we typically worked far less than we do (because we didn't waste a lot of timing gathering stuff we don't need...)

Posted to CB via my Passport | Lloyd Summers | FileArchiveHaven
    12-28-15 03:24 PM

The more you do this, the less valuable you will appear to be in the future.
    This would be only the 2nd time I have ever asked of something from AT&T in all the years I have remained a loyal customer...since 1991 when they bought Cellular One my original carrier. First request was to get my Q10 unlocked and then this request to have the upgrade fee waived which I never paid before...Why? Because as a loyal long time customer AT&T didn't charge one.

I highly doubt my asking for a couple of perks over my 24 years of being a customer would have a negative effect in any way...😁

In that people bounce from one carrier to another these days it's the right thing for a cellular carrier to do for being a long standing customer. In this case AT&T recognized this...👍

Bob

12-28-15 07:13 PM
    This would be only the 2nd time I have ever asked of something from AT&T in all the years I have remained a loyal customer...since 1991 when they bought Cellular One my original carrier. First request was to get my Q10 unlocked and then this request to have the upgrade fee waived which I never paid before...Why? Because as a loyal long time customer AT&T didn't charge one.

I highly doubt my asking for a couple of perks over my 24 years of being a customer would have a negative effect in any way...😁

In that people bounce from one carrier to another these days it's the right thing for a cellular carrier to do for being a long standing customer. In this case AT&T recognized this...👍

Bob

2 thumbs up for your loyalty. I also don't believe in switching
    12-28-15 11:53 PM
    It helps that you've been with them but I could be a new customer and be an angry or stubborn person over the phone just to get it waived. I wouldn't want to pay that fee either.

Posted via my Expired Passport
    01-09-16 01:12 AM