So I have a Razr 2 right now that I hate. I want a blackberry curve. I have Verizon. I want this as a christmas present but my father says that paying an additional $30 a month is absoloutly stuipd and he will not do it. I have offered to pay half of the data fee ( I have more than enough money to pay for the phone and data package but in my house things like this must be approved. I still cant just go out and buy what I please ) Help me convince my dad that I need a BB. What can I tell him to help me out? How can I explian why the its an additional 30 a month. Help me compare my reg. phone to a BB to help him understand the additional charges. Thanks.
    11-29-08 10:08 AM
    One more thing. If i get a bb with the 30 a month. I can just get online any time I want and wherever I want correct? I can be far away from home and google something and it will work right? Thanks.
    11-29-08 10:47 AM
    Maybe you should ask YOURSELF if you need a BlackBerry before you try to convince your dad to help you pay for it. Yes you can access the internet from almost anywhere because of Verizon's coverage.
    11-29-08 11:50 AM
    One more thing. If i get a bb with the 30 a month. I can just get online any time I want and wherever I want correct? I can be far away from home and google something and it will work right? Thanks.
    You didn't say how old you are, but BB's are *generally* wasted on the young. Do you NEED to receive emails immediately? Do you NEED to go online for some reason? Seems to me if you parlay these functions into something productive you do - if you're a budding journalist or some other future professional - maybe you would be a good candidate. Otherwise, maybe talk him into a nicer phone (non-SmartPhone) that has features you'll use -- MP3, camera, non-push e-mail, and go with that until you're old enough to justify a BB.

Also, you need to know that unlimited data plans are $45 a month on Verizon. Not $30. $30 will get you limited access, which may or may not be enough for you.
    11-29-08 11:54 AM
    You didn't say how old you are, but BB's are *generally* wasted on the young. Do you NEED to receive emails immediately? Do you NEED to go online for some reason? Seems to me if you parlay these functions into something productive you do - if you're a budding journalist or some other future professional - maybe you would be a good candidate. Otherwise, maybe talk him into a nicer phone (non-SmartPhone) that has features you'll use -- MP3, camera, non-push e-mail, and go with that until you're old enough to justify a BB.

Also, you need to know that unlimited data plans are $45 a month on Verizon. Not $30. $30 will get you limited access, which may or may not be enough for you.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

11-29-08 11:57 AM
    No, I do not NEED a blackberry. Do i want one? Yes. The 30 a moth is UNLIMITED from what I understand. The 45 is for Buisness. I believe. I will not settle for a regular phone. I cannot stand any of them. They ALL have the same basic setup. They all are torture for me to use. Verizon puts there set-up and ruins all of there regular phones. I would like something with a chat log and more features than a regular phone. I am 18 years old. I am fed up with regular phones.

11-29-08 12:01 PM
    we've all answered these "help me convince my parents that i need a BB to get online and take pictures and blah blah blah" threads before.

and my answer still stays the same...if YOU are mature enough to pay for your own sh!t, and your life would truly benefit from all/most of the functions of a berry, then you should work on getting your berry on your own, and not need to worry about your parents giving you permission.
    11-29-08 12:04 PM
    This is not correct. $30 is for unlimited data for personal use. (BIS) The limited plan for 10MB of data a month is $25. The $45/month plan is for business. (BES)

That being said, if you have, "more than enough money to pay for the phone and data package" than why not offer to pay for the entire data charge not just half of it?
    11-29-08 12:42 PM
    thank you!
    11-29-08 01:28 PM
    but we talked about this on aim parker, you might get a BB and not need it! I mean look, there are adults that technically dont need it either! I mean, do we really need pocket express, viigo, maps, myspace, aim, BBM, internet, stready flow of email, etc etc.... maybe not! But the difference is that we pay our own service to have these luxuries!

If you want one and your asking your dad for it, then your dad would be justified not giving it to you if he thinks its going to be a waist of money on his budget

Then again, if your family is rich, then all bets are off and u can endulge! lol

But I believe you said u were 18 and you had a job. At that point your dad could tell u to buy whatever u want to as its your money, but at the same time he can restrict u the same way as it is his household and even at 18, he may have special reasons for not wanting u to have 1 even though u pay for it urself. Sucks but I remember what they told me when I was a kid... "if u dont like it, MOVE OUT!" tough love I guess, lol
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 11-29-08 at 01:36 PM.
    11-29-08 01:31 PM
    I guess if I decide to buy one I will pay for the data myself. I have paid for my unlimited texting for a few years now (obviously he is not to big of a fan of technology) but alright thanks.
    11-29-08 01:54 PM
    With all due respect Parker, If your 18 why cant you spend your money as you see fit?
    11-29-08 02:20 PM
    With all due respect Parker, If your 18 why cant you spend your money as you see fit?
    I live under my fathers roof. He pays the bills. He will be pays for college. I pay for the extras I guess.. I guess a BB would be a extra. I can spend my money on what I plese but if he thinks it is not reasonalbe he gets pissed and I like to respect him since he is paying all of my bills and for everything I need.
    11-29-08 02:48 PM
    lol, I didn't wanna open that can of worms but kids sometimes have obligations they need to meet in the home financially. And to be honest, dont even open that can and influence Mr Parker here to have a fight with his family about how he spends his money! If it was me, I may not care so much as long as hes meeting his responsibility to the home, financially and physically. But thats just me. In the end as a father, I would have "the right" to restrict whatever I please regardless of whos money it is. Unless its my wife of course! she secretly rules ... lol sucks
    11-29-08 03:10 PM
    but dude, u should pay fo ur own phone voice and data! ur 18 and u work! SO F THAT! lol

sorry...
    11-29-08 03:11 PM
    If I had to pay for voice and data I would not be wanting a BB lol.
    11-29-08 03:27 PM
    LOL! at least its honest!
    11-29-08 03:49 PM
    This is not correct. $30 is for unlimited data for personal use. (BIS) The limited plan for 10MB of data a month is $25. The $45/month plan is for business. (BES)

That being said, if you have, "more than enough money to pay for the phone and data package" than why not offer to pay for the entire data charge not just half of it?
    That's news to me. I don't have a business, but I pay $44.99 a month for unlimited data.
    11-29-08 03:57 PM
    ur overpaying!!! Its $29.99 for unlimited data on BIS my friend!
    11-29-08 04:38 PM
    Honestly don't even bother asking this question on these forums...I tried it once and it turned into such a mess...just look for yourself at the 400+ posts.

Say how it will make you more organized and explain how it will help you with your schoolwork. Also if you are able/willing to pay for it all yourself, try to make the argument that you should be able to spend YOUR money on whatever you want...I sometimes have trouble explaining this to my parents too.

Mom - "Oh you don't need another video game"
    11-30-08 12:50 AM
    Okay problem solved. I talked to my dad and mother and they said that they dont want me to buy it myself becase they wanted to get it for me for christmas. Father still thinks its dumb but they never know what to get me anymore so problem solved. Now I gotta wait... great. lol.
    11-30-08 09:04 AM
    Okay problem solved. I talked to my dad and mother and they said that they dont want me to buy it myself becase they wanted to get it for me for christmas. Father still thinks its dumb but they never know what to get me anymore so problem solved. Now I gotta wait... great. lol.
    Three weeks, and you can't wait. Criminy. Kids these days. If you were mine, you'd get clothes.
    11-30-08 09:11 AM
    ur overpaying!!! Its $29.99 for unlimited data on BIS my friend!
    I will be calling Verizon and possibly demanding a refund for the year or so that I've overpaid. I have no idea why they would have put me on that plan. I don't think the customer service rep had an Indian accent, either. Heh.
    11-30-08 09:13 AM
    I read somewhere on here that if you don't ask and just get a general BB data plan that its automatically added as a BES $44.99 option. A bit sneaky if you ask me but hey, this is the best network and the best nickle n dime company out there right? lol

just playing ... no debate here plz!
    11-30-08 09:20 AM
    Three weeks, and you can't wait. Criminy. Kids these days. If you were mine, you'd get clothes.
    Well Im not yours so I dont need your 2cents.
    11-30-08 09:38 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD