I'm a former BlackBerry user who started out my days back in the Palm forums... ahh... those were the days.

Since my last BB Curve, I've been a long time Android user and I'm very familiar with Android.

I'm like many of you and don't care about visual flourishes and useless animation. It merely takes up valuable time I could be DOING something in...

Ok, if you really want to make your Priv noticeably faster, do the following:

1. Go to "Settings" (Gear sprocket up by the battery after swiping down twice from the top)
    2. Go to "About Phone"
    3. Activate "Developer options": Scroll down to the bottom and tap ten (10) times on the Build number (I forget the actual number as it varies by phone & version of Android)
    4. You'll get a notification indicating "You're a Developer now!"
    5. Press the back button.
    6. You'll see a new option just above "About Phone" that says "Developer options". Tap it to go into the new menu.
    7. Scroll down until you see the following options: Window animation scale, Transition animation scale & Animator Duration Scale. Set all three to OFF (you could do 0.5x if you REALLY like animations. I prefer OFF)
    8. Exit settings and enjoy your speedy new Priv!

I don't recommend changing anything else unless you know what you're doing. I personally check the Force GPU rendering checkbox, but YMMV.

Let me know if you have any questions about Android and enjoy your Priv's! I sure am. I also have a Nexus 6P, if anyone is interested in a real world comparison too.

akula34
    12-01-15 03:39 PM
    Very useful! It really makes a difference.

Thanks far the tip.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    12-01-15 03:48 PM
    I don't have the phone in front of me. Can you tell me what animations get turned off? Maybe a couple of examples.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-15 03:51 PM
    If you turn all three to off, you essentially remove *all* animations. No more window transitions, notification swiping down is instantaneous, etc. Actions feel nearly instant, unless you're loading an app or message that might require processing.
    sparkaction likes this.
    12-01-15 03:54 PM
    Thanks for the tip, does seem quicker.
    12-01-15 03:55 PM
    12-01-15 03:58 PM
    Thanks changed to 0.5x and it feels a little smoother and faster as well
    12-01-15 04:32 PM
    Wow. Much faster. Very noticeable. Thanks to the op.

12-01-15 04:32 PM
    First thing I always do when I get a new android, I forgot that ppl here are used to bb phones
    12-01-15 04:36 PM
    i have always turned them down to .25 or .5 on mine for years. It does make the phone feel "snappier" lol
    12-01-15 04:38 PM
    Thanks for the info. Once the changes have been done, one should turn off Developer mode?
    lang007 likes this.
    12-01-15 04:53 PM
    Can we undo this if i wanted to try it for a bit? thanks
    12-01-15 05:02 PM
    Thanks for the info. Once the changes have been done, one should turn off Developer mode?
    I guess you can turn it back off if you want although i never have done so.

Can we undo this if i wanted to try it for a bit? thanks
    you can always go into the settings and turn it back to default.
    anon(153966) likes this.
    12-01-15 05:08 PM
    Thanks. Once the animation settings are turned off, should we/can we go back to not seeing the developer options menu item?

12-01-15 05:34 PM
    Thank you for sharing.

12-01-15 06:30 PM
    Very speedy. Thanks.
    12-01-15 07:19 PM
    It will also save battery life as well whenever you turn off the animations

12-01-15 08:03 PM
    It will also save battery life as well whenever you turn off the animations

what animations exactly you guys talk about? sorry I'm a newbe to android lol
    12-01-15 08:09 PM
    what animations exactly you guys talk about? sorry I'm a newbe to android lol
    The animations is when you open an app or folder you see that pretty animation that happens that is what It means .....to better explain do what the OP is saying and browse the phone opening apps and so on and you will see

12-01-15 08:11 PM
    This is awesome. My priv sorta almost is as speedy in moving around the OS as my Z10 lol. If it did save battery life then double awesome. Also works well with the Swipeup utility app. Makes the swipe up to home almost feel as instantaneous as BB10.

12-01-15 10:42 PM
    Oh, that trick. lol
    12-02-15 12:37 AM
    Fantastic tip! I set mine on 0.5 still makes a significant difference

12-02-15 12:56 AM
    Do you have to save it or something ? I found I changed them, then turned off dev settings but it shows them as the default animation (1.0) - weird?
    12-02-15 07:42 AM
    It turns off splash screens that is displayed while app loads? If you start an app, usually that app would display a full screen splash screen (it's logo or something) meanwhile the app loads in the background. Is that splash screen timeout controlled by this setting?

Posted via CB10
    12-02-15 08:06 AM
    It turns off splash screens that is displayed while app loads? If you start an app, usually that app would display a full screen splash screen (it's logo or something) meanwhile the app loads in the background. Is that splash screen timeout controlled by this setting?

Posted via CB10
    Nope still got the splash screen while the apps load
    12-02-15 08:15 AM
86 123 ...