OK, I just bought a bold on AT&T and I am very disappointed. I have three very basic requirements for a phone, access to my IMAP mail servers (I don't have BES and won't have BES, BIS downloading from mail server is not a good solution), SSH Client and a decent browser, that's it. I have been using the Nokia E70 for the last 2 years, which i love (the hardware that is, the software has too many bugs to list making the phone virtually unusable).

So, after struggling to find a phone to replace my E70, reading this site every day and others, I got the bold. I was shocked to find that there is no IMAP support, come on it's 2008. I donwloaded logicmail and it is far from being usable as a primary mail application (Tiggit wouldn't install). I downloaded MidPSSH and again, far from bein a usuable application. The browser on the bold is fine.

So, someone please set me straight as to why I should keep this thing. The hardware is great, but so is my E70, but the software, at least for me is from 1995.

I'm really stuck, need a new phone but can't find a good solution to meet my very basic needs.
    11-28-08 11:07 PM
    A forum search for IMAP turned up this thread, among many others: http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/sol...-email-101650/

Perhaps it will help. I've never used IMAP.
    11-28-08 11:24 PM
    Unfortunately that just enables the BIS server to access your mail via IMAP, but doesn't give you access to your IMAP server.

I got tiggit working, it's better than logicmail , but I am seeing lots of bugs.
    11-28-08 11:46 PM
    I Googled "BlackBerry IMAP" and found at least a dozen articles that state you can indeed set up your BB for IMAP access.

Beyond the Bleeding Edge: Blackberry: How to get Push IMAP Gmail if you are on BIS.

For example.
    Hope it works for you.
    If not, there's several other devices that might meet your requirements on the market. Don't stick with something if it annoys you - many choices out there. If you're already on AT&T, I believe the iPhone has IMAP compatability - though whether it's a "true" IMAP hookup that seems important to you - don't know.
    Might have to ask a sales rep.

Anhoo, good luck.
    Last edited by Digital_Cataclysm; 11-29-08 at 02:01 AM.
    11-29-08 01:56 AM
    Maybe check before buying? I don't get upset that my bold doesn't do certain things that I'd like it to - maybe look for something out there that can do it? Loads of people moan about the bold browser then go on to say they only really browse - why get a bold then? May as well buy a ferrarri and moan about fuel economy and servicing costs

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-29-08 02:25 AM
    The issue is, at least from my standpoint is the documentation isn't exactly clear. There is a lot of discussion our there and the docs from RIM, but no where did I see that you can not connect to an IMAP mail server with the built in mail client as you can with every mail client on every other smart phone that exists.

Anyhow, my list of disappointments continues to grow (No VPN client unless you have a BES and even then only over wifi), so time to return the bold and get something else.

I was a big fan of RIM from afar over the years, and the bold hardware is fantastic, but their closed environment which is great for the fortune 1000, just does not work for me.
    11-29-08 02:34 AM
    Given your "problems," you're going to be hard-pressed finding a better phone for email. The BlackBerry isn't widely regarded as the best phone for email for no reason. It seems all your problems would be solved with BES, and it sounds like the specific issues you're dealing with go beyond your average email user. Does your company not have an Exchange server? Or are you opting out of paying the extra $15 to have BES over BIS?
    11-29-08 02:45 AM
    I have to be able to manage several disparate networks and run my own Unix mail servers. BES is not an option.
    11-29-08 02:52 AM
    Well, you can't blame it on the Bold or BlackBerry, to be frank. For many users, the Bold's capabilities go beyond what anyone here really needs. I'm on BES and BIS, anything past that and I can't give too many answers. Good luck finding your solution on these forums. The wallpaper you use, the color of your phone's skin, and whether you use a holster or not is about as technical as it gets here, sadly.
    11-29-08 03:49 AM
    Good luck. Definitely do some research before you make a decision on which device is right for you.
    11-29-08 08:16 AM
    I have to be able to manage several disparate networks and run my own Unix mail servers. BES is not an option.
    You are right, BES is not an option. This product is mainly used by corporations to manage their email in a secure manner to their corporate flock of BlackBerrys.

The rest of use use BIS which is also highly secure and works very relaibly. If you need to learn a bit more about the differences between these two products here;s a link http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101...ats-difference.

BIS is quite simply THE BEST email solutuion that I have ever used. It is so 2008. Fast, secure, cheap, relaible. What else do you want? BIS is WHY I got the Blackberry.

You really should have researched better since BlackBerrys are way past what you have been used to.
    Last edited by Pete6; 11-29-08 at 09:34 AM.
    11-29-08 09:31 AM
    Well, you can't blame it on the Bold or BlackBerry, to be frank. For many users, the Bold's capabilities go beyond what anyone here really needs. I'm on BES and BIS, anything past that and I can't give too many answers. Good luck finding your solution on these forums. The wallpaper you use, the color of your phone's skin, and whether you use a holster or not is about as technical as it gets here, sadly.
    Have to disagree with you here. Sorry. This sight is better for technical than the help you get over the phone with most servers. I've always found the info I need here or am redirected to where I need to go. I do agree that the BB is not to blame in this issue.
    11-29-08 09:44 AM
    So does the Bold not support IMAP email over BIS the same way that the Curve does?

I use IMAP on my Curve just fine, and frankly, I would have assumed the Bold does it the same or better.

But you know what they say when you assume...

So really, the Bold doesn't support IMAP or am I reading this thread wrong?
    11-29-08 09:52 AM

BIS is quite simply THE BEST email solutuion that I have ever used. It is so 2008. Fast, secure, cheap, relaible. What else do you want? BIS is WHY I got the Blackberry.

You really should have researched better since BlackBerrys are way past what you have been used to.
    Actually, IMAP is a much more sophisticated and robust protocol than POP3. It gives you direct access to your mail servers, rather than forcing you to receive a duplicate copy of what's on your server as BES/BIS do. If the original poster is managing his own network and mail server then it is understandable that he needs IMAP. To say that Blackberries (essentially BES/BIS) are way past what he has been used to only shows your ignorance on the subject. Just because it's different, doesn't make it outdated.

Pete, I would suggest you take your own advice and research better before condemning others for having needs that you don't yet understand.
    11-29-08 10:05 AM
    I think the problem here is that the OP misinterpreted the claim of "IMAP support" as "full IMAP functionality". IMAP w/ BIS may be an improvement over POP3 w/ BIS, but it is in no way comparable to a real IMAP client, which would give you access to your IMAP folders, and probably more features that I'm not aware of.
    11-29-08 12:05 PM
    After 12 hours straight of trying to get the device setup and working for what I need here is what I have found (I am posting this for all others who are considering RIM devices and have similar needs to me and are having trouble finding answers).

If you DO NOT have a BES server and can not or do not plan on purchasing a BES server than:

1. Access to email from your own mail server via IMAP is almost impossible. The BIS setup is not a functional replacement for having direct access to your IMAP servers. Tiggit is better than logic mail but is still far from being usable as your primary email application. If you have outsourced your email to Google, either via Gmail directly or their business offerings, then you are in luck, the Google email application and Google sync application for contacts and calender work quite well (however lack in the notifications department). I read the Yahoo solution is pretty good as well, but don't use Yahoo for anything so can't confirm.

2. If you need to access a network via a VPN you are out of luck. Even those that have a BES server can only access the VPN over WIFI not over 3G, which is rediculous. There are NO VPN clients for the blackberry except the IPSEC client that is built in from RIM

3. If you need a SSH client, you are almost out of luck. MidPSSH hasn't had any formal development in well over a year, and the guy (can't find the link now) who did some development based of the old MidPSSH did an ok job, but again, if this is a critical app for you, you will be disappointed.

I would gladly pay for all these applications, tiggit charges $30, I would pay $100 easily if the app was great. Maybe someday it will get there, but not today.

Having said all this, the unfortunate thing for me is I love the hardware. The device itself is great in almost every respect, size, keyboard, screen, etc. Much better than anything else I see out there. IF only I could load another operating system onto it or the apps I need were available.
    11-29-08 12:52 PM
    Actually, IMAP is a much more sophisticated and robust protocol than POP3. It gives you direct access to your mail servers, rather than forcing you to receive a duplicate copy of what's on your server as BES/BIS do. If the original poster is managing his own network and mail server then it is understandable that he needs IMAP. To say that Blackberries (essentially BES/BIS) are way past what he has been used to only shows your ignorance on the subject. Just because it's different, doesn't make it outdated.

Pete, I would suggest you take your own advice and research better before condemning others for having needs that you don't yet understand.
    You missed my point. I was not comparing or condemming POP3 and/or IMAP. Rather I was pointing out that BIS, once it gets hold of whatever feeder system it is given is more secure and usually more reliable than anything else that I have yet seen.

I understand that the OP runs his own email servers. I read that. This was one reason I said that he should have researched better.

I also fail to see why you say that the BIS/BES system is outdated. From BES, you can manage the total device. You can implement security systems, interrogate the device, use the GPS (if available) to locate the phone, reload a phone, shut it down if lost. How come this is inferior?

As to BIS, this uses the same level of encrypyion that BES does, and, since it is a post mail server program, it is limited by what is fed to it but, once it has got hold of the message, then it's trasnport mechanism is far superior to POP3 or IMAP. I understand that the OP wishes to access his IMAP server but this is not the way that the BlackBerry works. Again, better research is needed before purchasing. I gave a link in my prvious post that explains the differences betwen BES and BIS. This was from the Newbies section where people should logically start their CrackBerry lives.

No, it is not me that does not know how these systems work, I think..

Lastly, my point about reserachng better is borne out by your own comment that the OP runs his own Unix servers and shoul know their capabilities and limitatons. Either way, he still has a carriwr and whatever phone he choses, must still use their transport sytems between his/any mail server and the phone. Therefore BIS is still a viable option.

Nuff said here.
    Last edited by Pete6; 11-29-08 at 01:22 PM.
    11-29-08 01:17 PM
    After 12 hours straight of trying to get the device setup and working for what I need here is what I have found (I am posting this for all others who are considering RIM devices and have similar needs to me and are having trouble finding answers).

If you DO NOT have a BES server and can not or do not plan on purchasing a BES server than:

1. Access to email from your own mail server via IMAP is almost impossible. The BIS setup is not a functional replacement for having direct access to your IMAP servers. Tiggit is better than logic mail but is still far from being usable as your primary email application. If you have outsourced your email to Google, either via Gmail directly or their business offerings, then you are in luck, the Google email application and Google sync application for contacts and calender work quite well (however lack in the notifications department). I read the Yahoo solution is pretty good as well, but don't use Yahoo for anything so can't confirm.

2. If you need to access a network via a VPN you are out of luck. Even those that have a BES server can only access the VPN over WIFI not over 3G, which is rediculous. There are NO VPN clients for the blackberry except the IPSEC client that is built in from RIM

3. If you need a SSH client, you are almost out of luck. MidPSSH hasn't had any formal development in well over a year, and the guy (can't find the link now) who did some development based of the old MidPSSH did an ok job, but again, if this is a critical app for you, you will be disappointed.

I would gladly pay for all these applications, tiggit charges $30, I would pay $100 easily if the app was great. Maybe someday it will get there, but not today.

Having said all this, the unfortunate thing for me is I love the hardware. The device itself is great in almost every respect, size, keyboard, screen, etc. Much better than anything else I see out there. IF only I could load another operating system onto it or the apps I need were available.
    This is what I recommend and this is me personally.

You know the "problems" you are having, is there any device in the open market that fixes these problems? One of the GREAT features of the iPhone is the number of developers associated with them. The amount of programs offered by the iPhone surpasses the Blackberry by far. If these features are the main features you are looking for I would head over to modmyifone dot com and see if they offer any of these features.

Good luck with the search
    11-29-08 03:18 PM
    If you extensively researched this phone, how can you be disappointed? Blackberry's don't have true IMAP clients, but you should have known that, right? Ditto VPN.
    11-29-08 07:49 PM
    stuegreen, can you elaborate a bit about just how BB interacts with IMAP over BIS? Is there push e-mail but just no folder access? I.e., if it's not in a subfolder, you can still see it, respond to it, etc., but just not move it to subfolders?

For BB not to have proper IMAP access over BIS is ridiculous. Wake up, RIM, and get with the program!!!
    12-01-08 04:11 PM
    I am just wondering with OP's statement of "this is 2008" why he is trying to manage server side apps with what is basically a phone with email and browser functions instead of using a laptop with wireless or wifi instead. Seems to me that if you want to do what is a job for a computer then you would use a computer. NONE of our people at my work that work with email or servers use a BB or any mobile phone to work on them. Now it may just be me but my G/F is Senior Engineering Systems Manager for our company and takes care of UNIX based servers and user based machines around the world and she would no sooner do the work off of her BB than I would. If you really need something to access your server side apps then why not buy a mini laptop to do it? Just a suggestion.
    12-01-08 07:26 PM
    Is it really "managing server side apps" to use IMAP? Forgive me if I misunderstand your comment, but if I am reading you correctly, with respect to using IMAP all that means is "e-mail."

IMAP is the proper solution to non-Gmail e-mail for those who access e-mail from multiple locations and/or who have a large enough volume of e-mail to benefit from multiple folders.

In my case, I need e-mail access from my business, home, and on-the-go. I don't use Gmail, and POP is outdated and inappropriate for that use. I don't care to run an Exchange server (or BES). All I need is for my smartphone to properly interface with my IMAP e-mail.

iPhone and Windows Mobile do this no problem. Why can't Blackberry??
    12-01-08 07:58 PM
    I've tried to find similar software for every smartphone I've owned. Trust me, you will NOT find a respectable SSH app out there. For sys administration, I picked up a netbook, i.e. Asus EEE. Everything I need there.

Phones still have not quite caught up to actual PC usage, so you'll have a tough time finding a phone that will function like one.
    12-01-08 08:52 PM
    ^ Based on this post, it seems like keswan's post went over my head. Please ignore what I wrote, kwswan!
    12-02-08 02:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD