Well, this sucks. As reported in today's Allpar:

...The critically acclaimed system stumbled somewhat in its last iteration, but those looking for signs of change need look no further than Alfa Romeo, which will use a Linux-based setup with slightly larger screens. The larger screens are likely to stick with the more expensive brand, but the change of operating systems from QNX (a form of BSD UNIX) to Linux will likely run across the parts of Fiat Chrysler that are not sticking with Microsoft.

Switching from QNX to Linux would allow FCA to stop paying royalties to Blackberry, in Canada, which owns the hardened operating system. There are hardened forms of Linux to meet the needs of electronic commerce Web sites, and the operating system has matured considerably since QNX was first chosen....
    See: News | Is a new Uconnect on the way?
    Q10Bold likes this.
    10-29-15 04:54 PM
    you win some and you lose some.
    10-29-15 04:58 PM
    What he said.

"I don't think that word means what you think it means."
    10-29-15 05:42 PM
    Chrysler is part of the Open Automotive Alliance , Google's auto version of the Open Handset Alliance, to replace existing auto control/infotainment systems which affects QNX the most.

QNX is rapidly going to have competition with 'free' options
    HereinHalifax likes this.
    10-29-15 05:55 PM
    Chrysler is part of the Open Automotive Alliance , Google's auto version of the Open Handset Alliance, to replace existing auto control/infotainment systems which affects QNX the most.

Yep. Revenue source for automakers to sell user info.

10-29-15 06:09 PM
    Yep. Revenue source for automakers to sell user info.

Hey if mobile carriers can do it why not auto makers.
    10-29-15 06:12 PM
    Who cares, it Chrysler.

Posted via CB10
    anon(5990673) likes this.
    10-29-15 06:17 PM
    Chryslers are amazing cars.

Suffer Now & Live The Rest Of Your Life As A Champion
    HereinHalifax likes this.
    10-29-15 06:37 PM
    Almost sounds like cell phone companies when they wanted to stop paying for BIS and drop it.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-15 06:47 PM
    Chryslers are amazing cars.

Suffer Now & Live The Rest Of Your Life As A Champion
    Not really. Mostly trash. I've been in the auto tech for 16 in my last location alone, and I can definitely say...trash. Like I over heard one service tech at a dealership over the phone with another service tech from another dealership about a Chrysler Sebring...."what year was that garbage can again?" If service reps are calling the cars they represent garbage cans...There's an issue.

Posted via CB10
    DarkJoker33 and ADGrant like this.
    10-29-15 07:11 PM
    FWIW, I've had excellent luck with Chrysler products, whereas the only non-Chrysler I've owned (a SAAB 900 Turbo SPG) was a total, unmitigated disaster.
    10-29-15 07:31 PM
    Who cares, it Chrysler.

Posted via CB10
    Fiat right? Big global auto company. Serious market share.

10-29-15 07:48 PM
    Indeed. FCA/Chrysler is the number one brand in Canada, outselling both Ford and GM. The key question, in any event, is how this could impact QNX's standing within the auto industry and, by extension, BlackBerry's revenues.
    10-29-15 07:58 PM
    I wouldn't sweat that. For some it's simply revenue driven .

10-29-15 08:02 PM
    Off topic but man does chrysler/dodge/jeep ever build garbage vehicles.

Posted via CB10
    ADGrant likes this.
    10-29-15 10:38 PM
    Off topic but man does chrysler/dodge/jeep ever build garbage vehicles.

Posted via CB10
    I've driven a few rental Jeeps. I can't say they handle well or seem well built. A Japanese of Korean car of the same price offers a lot more.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-15 09:43 AM
    Probably better to not be associated with chrysler, considering all their vehicles are garbage, seriously, this is coming from someone closely involved with a company operating over 100 vehicles. Other than Caravans, every single other vehicle they produce is total garbage.

BB for Life
    10-30-15 09:44 AM
    Wow! Chrysler is going to lose control of their cars, literally!

Z10
    10-30-15 10:25 AM

https://www.automotivelinux.org/

I think that BlackBerry's meddling with QNX has opened the door for others. Have to wonder how many of QNX's customers started out using their open source code, and move up a licensed and supported version for very little. Only to have BlackBerry come in and remove everything open source, and try to apply a different model to a business that was working.
    10-30-15 01:17 PM
    I am not comfortable driving a two ton vehicle that uses open software to facilitate operation of this block of metal, plastic and people.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    10-30-15 01:50 PM
    https://www.automotivelinux.org/

I think that BlackBerry's meddling with QNX has opened the door for others. Have to wonder how many of QNX's customers started out using their open source code, and move up a licensed and supported version for very little. Only to have BlackBerry come in and remove everything open source, and try to apply a different model to a business that was working.
    Well well well... you have something concerning to say for a change. So the business was working before, and now it is no longer? If it was an article about BlackBerry winning Chrysler as a customer, you'd be here claiming QNX does not make any money for BlackBerry. So is it a bad thing to raise prices to a fair level for an award-winning product?

Posted via CB10
    10-30-15 01:56 PM
    Hardened linux ain't without its costs.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-15 02:00 PM
    Not good, not good!
    10-30-15 02:00 PM
    I've driven a few rental Jeeps. I can't say they handle well or seem well built. A Japanese of Korean car of the same price offers a lot more.
    You're kidding right? You've got to be. Live in an area with a lot of snow, overall bad road conditions, or spend any time driving on anything other than paved roads, and you'd sing a different tune. Sure, Jeeps aren't going to handle like a sports or luxury car, but they're not supposed to. Notwithstanding, Jeep typically gets high marks on paved road driving as well. But then too, they're not trying to hug curves like a train on rails.

For the SUV/Crossover category, it's rare that Jeep falls short to anybody else.
    10-30-15 02:12 PM
    You're kidding right? You've got to be. Live in an area with a lot of snow, overall bad road conditions, or spend any time driving on anything other than paved roads, and you'd sing a different tune. Sure, Jeeps aren't going to handle like a sports or luxury car, but they're not supposed to. Notwithstanding, Jeep typically gets high marks on paved road driving as well. But then too, they're not trying to hug curves like a train on rails.

For the SUV/Crossover category, it's rare that Jeep falls short to anybody else.
    Haha except for quality and reliability. But in all seriousness, if you want something capable on rough roads or off road, get a truck, and not a Ram either. I imagine in terms of crossovers and Suv's (in similar price ranges) they are probably one of the better choices, but that's mainly because they are still trying to make SUVs while the rest of the companies are trying to make oversized AWD cars

BB for Life
    10-30-15 09:43 PM
77 123 ...