I was experiencing high CPU usage for the past week and was unsure what was causing it.

A series of keeping the device powered off for some time before turning back on, soft resets, and hard resets wasn't solving the issue until I performed and OS reload and that only fixed the problem temporarily.

I have found that for my device, high CPU usage (constantly 20-30%) without any apps open is due to encryption of the device. I have done trial and error about 4-5 times by encrypting, then decrypting the device and every time I encrypt the device, I experience the high CPU usage afterwards.

I also tried encrypting and decrypting the microSD card a couple times but it made no difference.

I'm not sure if it's something within the OS or an app that isn't playing nicely, but if you're using the device encryption and have high CPU usage, I suggest you try decrypting the device first and see if the issue still persists.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by yyz321; 10-25-15 at 01:42 PM.
    Thom Bergstrom likes this.
    10-25-15 01:12 PM
    Good findings, thanks for sharing

Posted to CB via my Passport | Lloyd Summers | FileArchiveHaven
    10-25-15 01:25 PM
    Thanks. That was useful info!
    10-26-15 11:26 AM
    I had a similar issue and it turned out to be the built in Amazon Apps. For some reason they stopped responding, but the OS keeps trying to reload them. Took me a lot of attempts at removing/clearing/reinstalling them before they started responding again.

Still not sure how or what I did, but I definitely saw the same symptoms as OP without any encryption activate. For me toggling Encryption on/off did not make a noticeable difference.

BlackBerry 10, Passport signed.
    10-26-15 11:39 AM
    Originally, I uninstalled a couple android apps thinking that they may be poorly written apps causing the issue so I uninstalled them and restarted the device but that only worked temporarily and the issue came back.

I just leave my device unencrypted now which is unfortunate because I prefer to leave it encrypted.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-15 05:48 PM
    It's been about 4-5 days, the issue hasn't come back after running my device unencrypted.

I'll try turning encryption on after my business trip.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-15 07:37 AM
    Yesterday, I tried encrypting the device again.
    System usage shot up and would stay at 20-35%.
    Decrypted my device and the system usage went back to normal.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-15 11:41 PM
    Yesterday, I tried encrypting the device again.
    System usage shot up and would stay at 20-35%.
    Decrypted my device and the system usage went back to normal.

Posted via CB10
    I have no such issue. My Passport has been encrypted (SD card and device) since October 2014. No power consumption issues due to encryption.
    10-30-15 01:08 AM
    I found upgrading to 2789 and I did a 'delete storage' for amazon app store really helped..

Posted via CB10
    10-31-15 12:33 AM
    I found upgrading to 2789 and I did a 'delete storage' for amazon app store really helped..

Posted via CB10
    I deny the Amazon store any access to my phone. It just datamines. Just like google.
    10-31-15 12:34 PM

Posted via CB10
    Where did you go to delete storage? I can't find it.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-15 08:53 PM
    I was experiencing high CPU usage for the past week and was unsure what was causing it.

A series of keeping the device powered off for some time before turning back on, soft resets, and hard resets wasn't solving the issue until I performed and OS reload and that only fixed the problem temporarily.

I have found that for my device, high CPU usage (constantly 20-30%) without any apps open is due to encryption of the device. I have done trial and error about 4-5 times by encrypting, then decrypting the device and every time I encrypt the device, I experience the high CPU usage afterwards.

I also tried encrypting and decrypting the microSD card a couple times but it made no difference.

I'm not sure if it's something within the OS or an app that isn't playing nicely, but if you're using the device encryption and have high CPU usage, I suggest you try decrypting the device first and see if the issue still persists.

Posted via CB10
    I had the same experience on my PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2789. It disappeared after I disabled device encryption.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-15 09:17 PM
    Does anybody know if the high System usage is caused by the OS or an app?
    I haven't been able to find the root cause yet. If it's caused by an app, I'd probably choose to remove the app and keep the encryption.
    11-03-15 12:51 AM
    Does anybody know if the high System usage is caused by the OS or an app?
    I haven't been able to find the root cause yet. If it's caused by an app, I'd probably choose to remove the app and keep the encryption.
    For those that were using data encryption and had high System usage, did you have Android Kindle App?

I removed my Android Kindle App only and added encryption but the System usage seems to be normal (less than 10%). I think this was a problematic app that was causing issues with the data encryption.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-15 01:24 AM
    Yes. I had removed the kindle app and anything amazon a long time ago. Amazon data mines your phone.
    11-03-15 02:57 AM
    I have the same set of issue. Doing a security wipe and install 2789 fixes it until with encryption on, I do anything Amazon. It appears Amazon app store is not removable.

The first time this happened was when I was updating the Amazon appstore.

Also Google may be involved with increased security. I use the Cobalt Googleplay.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-15 06:39 AM
    I mentioned the Amazon apps before. Encryption is on, since removing Kindle I can freely use Amazon Appstore/Shopping without any issues. No idea why Kindle was being such a PITA, but apparently it was.

BlackBerry 10, Passport signed.
    11-03-15 07:00 AM
    For those that were using data encryption and had high System usage, did you have Android Kindle App?

I removed my Android Kindle App only and added encryption but the System usage seems to be normal (less than 10%). I think this was a problematic app that was causing issues with the data encryption.

Posted via CB10
    Yes I had Kindle installed, I will delete Kindle and try the encryption and report back.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-15 09:19 AM
    To delete storage.. goto...
    - app manager
    - device monitor
    - tap storage
    - tap amazon app store
    - tap delete storage

Edmund

Posted via CB10
    yyz321 likes this.
    11-03-15 06:23 PM