Did anyone see if the Priv will support CDMA networks like Verizon? My Passport doesn't so I'm hoping this will. Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-15 07:41 AM
    Nope.

Eventually this will disappear as Verizon is transitioning.

Note that the Passport will pick up Verizon LTE signals, but until VoLTE is working across their LTE infrastructure even if you stick a Verizon SIM in the phone it won't work for calls. This situation will improve with time and frankly to make a CDMA-capable device for one carrier, even though it's a big one, would be something I'd do only if there was a hard (non-rescindable) order for enough devices on the table to make the custom production run profitable.
    10-22-15 07:44 AM
    Thanks for the update.

How disappointing. No Priv for me then. Only the Z30. And an unusable Passport.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-15 07:46 AM
    Haven't seen one with CDMA yet....

There have been rumors that all the US Carriers would have it.

Someone posted yesterday that they talked with someone at Verizon that said it was coming.
    10-22-15 07:46 AM
    No, but BlackBerry never sells Verizon / CDMA devices directly to the consumer, so the specifications on the Shop BlackBerry page that was up earlier shouldn't be taken to mean there isn't a CDMA version.
    10-22-15 07:50 AM
    Nope.

Eventually this will disappear as Verizon is transitioning.

Note that the Passport will pick up Verizon LTE signals, but until VoLTE is working across their LTE infrastructure even if you stick a Verizon SIM in the phone it won't work for calls. This situation will improve with time and frankly to make a CDMA-capable device for one carrier, even though it's a big one, would be something I'd do only if there was a hard (non-rescindable) order for enough devices on the table to make the custom production run profitable.
    Taught I read one that the Passport didn't have the right LTE Bands for full coverage on Verizon's coming VoLTE network....
    Not sure about the PRIV and the GSM version..... still hoping there will be a Verizon phone and it won't matter for it.

But VoLTE does not mean that Verizon has to allow any phone on their network..... just the ones that are compatible with the VoLTE network that they are using.
    10-22-15 08:02 AM
    No, but BlackBerry never sells Verizon / CDMA devices directly to the consumer, so the specifications on the Shop BlackBerry page that was up earlier shouldn't be taken to mean there isn't a CDMA version.
    Yes, considering we had reports all carriers will have it a while ago.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-15 08:14 AM
    So... as my IT dept at work only provide an iPhone 5 on Verizon, which I have switched the sim into a Z30, there is no way of doing the same with the Priv as it won't be available for direct buy with CDMA, only via contract with Verizon?

Posted via CB10
    10-22-15 08:16 AM
    So... as my IT dept at work only provide an iPhone 5 on Verizon, which I have switched the sim into a Z30, there is no way of doing the same with the Priv as it won't be available for direct buy with CDMA, only via contract with Verizon?

Posted via CB10
    The situation is the same as the z30. It's not like you bought the z30 from BlackBerry if you're using it on vzw
    10-22-15 09:10 AM
    Taught I read one that the Passport didn't have the right LTE Bands for full coverage on Verizon's coming VoLTE network....
    I have come up "emergency calls only" on Verizon's LTE network several times when out in the middle of BF Nowhere (think the middle of the Appalachian Trail!) and if I search manually I can "see" Verizon. I do not, however, have an activated Verizon SIM I can put in the phone to see if I can actually make a call, but the fact that it comes up for 911 when that's all that the phone can find strongly implies it will work.
    10-22-15 09:15 AM
    I'm starting to think that BB doesn't have all the details sorted out with its carriers. How can we be days away from an actual product release but there has been no mention from any of its "partners". Chen said all 4 major carriers would have it but we've here nothing official from either BB or the carriers. I use Sprint, and unfortunately get too good of a deal to move to another carrier.

I'm guessing something is not going as planned behind the scenes.
    10-22-15 09:21 AM
    I have come up "emergency calls only" on Verizon's LTE network several times when out in the middle of BF Nowhere (think the middle of the Appalachian Trail!) and if I search manually I can "see" Verizon. I do not, however, have an activated Verizon SIM I can put in the phone to see if I can actually make a call, but the fact that it comes up for 911 when that's all that the phone can find strongly implies it will work.
    Band 13 in what Verizon seems to be using for the VoLTE Servcies..... As long as you don't have an AT&T Passport you might be able to connect once they implement it. (if they don't play around with the software like it seems they maybe). Kinda strange the AT&T Passport dropped that the one Band that would have made it more compatible in the US - almost like they did it on purpose.
    10-22-15 09:54 AM
    Yeah mine is an original, unlocked, bought-direct Passport.
    10-22-15 10:10 AM
    I'm cautiously optimistic it'll be available on VZW, and really wish the Passport had been. AT&T's coverage in my area simply doesn't cut it.
    10-22-15 10:25 AM
    I'm not sure how verizons lte network works... but I know that for example Priv is VoLte ready. So maybe big red doesn't need a true cdma "world phone"

In Squircle I Trust
    10-22-15 02:21 PM
    Well the Passport can do VoLTE too, as can other BB10 handsets - but the carrier has to support it, and few do (especially inter-carrier!)

However, the problem comes in that Verizon has LTE only in certain places and CDMA in others, and thus you would only have ANY service in those LTE areas with no fallback. That kinda bites, which is why I couldn't recommend using a non-CDMA phone on their network even if they DO/DID support VoLTE (I don't know the status of their rollout and can't attach without a Verizon SIM to find out.)

With that said it appears there are multiple versions of the Priv, with what appear to be the expected two (one for Verizon and one for Sprint) in CDMA trim. You just won't be able to buy them unlocked.
    jhimmel likes this.
    10-22-15 02:24 PM
    Well the Passport can do VoLTE too, as can other BB10 handsets - but the carrier has to support it, and few do (especially inter-carrier!)

However, the problem comes in that Verizon has LTE only in certain places and CDMA in others, and thus you would only have ANY service in those LTE areas with no fallback. That kinda bites, which is why I couldn't recommend using a non-CDMA phone on their network even if they DO/DID support VoLTE (I don't know the status of their rollout and can't attach without a Verizon SIM to find out.)

With that said it appears there are multiple versions of the Priv, with what appear to be the expected two (one for Verizon and one for Sprint) in CDMA trim. You just won't be able to buy them unlocked.
    Approving a device with no CDMA fallback would be huge liability for Verizon for emergency service calls so until VoLTE is ubiquitous a non-cdma device won't work and won't be approved.
    10-22-15 02:29 PM
    I'm starting to think that BB doesn't have all the details sorted out with its carriers. How can we be days away from an actual product release but there has been no mention from any of its "partners". Chen said all 4 major carriers would have it but we've here nothing official from either BB or the carriers. I use Sprint, and unfortunately get too good of a deal to move to another carrier.

I'm guessing something is not going as planned behind the scenes.
    Chen didn't say 4 carriers, @evleaks did.

Chen just said in Recode they are working with the carriers, no number specified.
    10-22-15 06:49 PM
    STV100-4 is the Sprint model, Band 41 LTE and band 25 and also 1900 PCS is another way of say CDMA.

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repor...id=L6ARHM180LW
    10-22-15 11:20 PM
    STV100-4 is the Sprint model, Band 41 LTE and band 25 and also 1900 PCS is another way of say CDMA.

Thanks, how about Verizon?
    10-23-15 03:58 AM

That's incorrect. PCS 1900 doesn't mean CDMA.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-15 05:30 AM
    The unlock version doesn't support Verizon and Sprint. But BlackBerry will publish ones support those models later.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-15 05:39 AM
    Well I sure hope Sprint gets on board. I'm in bad need of an Android phone for work since I broke my Note 4. This phone is by far the best offering in the field for a business user. I would be disapointed if I had to settle for something else.
    10-23-15 11:49 AM