Hi all,

I own a Z10 (EU model - STL100-2) with unlimited 3G/4G internet.
    The device is just over a year old, and therefore isn't covered under ShopBlackBerry's warranty. It was a replacement Z10 issued by ShopBlackBerry for another Z10 with an unrelated fault.

It seems after updating my BlackBerry 10.3.1 the device gets extremely hot during light use, and the battery begins to drain extremely fast.

I held off posting a topic until now that it's running 10.3.2 but this hasn't improved the issue.

Here's some screenshots from Device Monitor:

Am I getting extreme for my poor Z10? Overheating + battery drain-img_20151010_005401.jpg Am I getting extreme for my poor Z10? Overheating + battery drain-img_20151010_005713.png

As you can see, after just 22 minutes of usage, the battery is at 85% which was previously fully charged. The back is moderately warm, and the only other app that's running is the music player. Sometimes if the device continues to heat up, music starts skipping, and in severe cases, the current song may 'end' prematurely.

Am I getting extreme for my poor Z10? Overheating + battery drain-img_20151010_005725.png Am I getting extreme for my poor Z10? Overheating + battery drain-img_20151010_005811.png

What on earth is "PIM services", and why is it consuming a good 40% of CPU time?
    And isn't Music meant to have a separate hardware processor which means it should be using no CPU time?
    All my internet usage is done over Mobile Data, with absolutely no Wi-Fi usage, is this likely the cause of the problems?

Am I getting extreme for my poor Z10? Overheating + battery drain-img_20151010_005826.png

I do enjoy surfing on my Z10, but I don't think it enjoys it as much as I do, because it will get hot to touch, and the battery drains from 100% to 0% in as little as 4 hours. The browser may also freeze for extended periods of time, but this doesn't lock up the entire phone.
    Playing "Candy Crush (Soda) Saga" also causes the same overheat effect, but the game will start running at crappy FPS as the back becomes baking hot, and eventually the game will forced close and return to the home screen without an error message.

I've tried reloading the OS as a fresh one from BlackBerry Link, which fixed the issue for a couple of days before it returned. Either coincidental, or I didn't use my phone heavily over the first few days.
    So I am wondering if this is normal? Will this be likely to damage my Z10's CPU? It does feel uncomfortably hot.
    Should I try lining the mid-frame and the inside of the back cover with aluminum foil to aid heat dissipation?

Never had this problem in 10.2.1 and below.
    Is my device faulty or is this expected behavior from me as a power user?
    10-11-15 02:24 PM
    Nothing wrong with Phone. Your PIM usage is very high and seems the only culprit here. I will say that you do take a backup of your contacts and other files and install fresh and latest OS via autoloader. Do not installs apps from backups and download fresh apps. Configure the settings again. PIM also manage your emails and the other stuff you find in the HUB.
    Personal information management - BlackBerry Native
    10-11-15 04:41 PM
    Nothing wrong with Phone. Your PIM usage is very high and seems the only culprit here. I will say that you do take a backup of your contacts and other files and install fresh and latest OS via autoloader. Do not installs apps from backups and download fresh apps. Configure the settings again. PIM also manage your emails and the other stuff you find in the HUB.
    Thanks, I always wondered what PIM service meant. I've already tried an OS restore via BlackBerry Link, but the problem didn't go away. I think it might have been because I restored the complete backup. Can't use Autoloaders, Sanchesi or Blitz OS (here's why) but will try a fresh BlackBerry Link reload without backing anything up, and set the device up as a new one and see what happens.
    10-11-15 04:57 PM
    I get you. Link backup restore are most quoted source of corrupt settings. Gremlins are either introduced when restoring or they spew in newer ones. Fresh install autoload/or via Link are surest way to kill them all. Setting up fresh apps and contacts are pain but worth the effort. Good Luck
    10-11-15 05:42 PM
    I read before some owners said to do a soft reset by holding the up+down volume button if the PIM is too high. Does this really work? Whats the diff between doing this and if u just Reboot the phone. Anyone?

STL100-2 \ SR 10.3.2.2474 \ OS 10.3.2.2639
    Y. Z. likes this.
    10-11-15 09:43 PM
    I read before some owners said to do a soft reset by holding the up+down volume button if the PIM is too high. Does this really work? Whats the diff between doing this and if u just Reboot the phone. Anyone?
    Nope, course it doesn't. As I use multiple batteries, a hard reset is done every time I swap batteries... so myth... BUSTED! Technically there shouldn't really be any difference between a hard reset, pulling the battery out and rebooting the phone.
    Although pulling the battery out on a BlackBerry 10 device may not be a very good idea, because I've heard it doesn't work like BlackBerry OS 7 and below.
    I get you. Link backup restore are most quoted source of corrupt settings. Gremlins are either introduced when restoring or they spew in newer ones. Fresh install autoload/or via Link are surest way to kill them all. Setting up fresh apps and contacts are pain but worth the effort. Good Luck
    I just don't get it. Following a full OS reload via BlackBerry Link (I used "Repair my device" which should be the same as an Autoloader - green LED) the PIM usage has settled to IDLE most of the time. But now, SYSTEM is eating up between 5%-30% CPU time! I still have to carry two batteries around with me because I still can't make it through half a day.
    WanShark69 likes this.
    10-13-15 06:07 PM
    Nope, course it doesn't. As I use multiple batteries, a hard reset is done every time I swap batteries... so myth... BUSTED! Technically there shouldn't really be any difference between a hard reset, pulling the battery out and rebooting the phone.
    Although pulling the battery out on a BlackBerry 10 device may not be a very good idea, because I've heard it doesn't work like BlackBerry OS 7 and below.

I just don't get it. Following a full OS reload via BlackBerry Link (I used "Repair my device" which should be the same as an Autoloader - green LED) the PIM usage has settled to IDLE most of the time. But now, SYSTEM is eating up between 5%-30% CPU time! I still have to carry two batteries around with me because I still can't make it through half a day.
    The z10 has always had awful battery. Exponentially so if you have your brightness anything above minimum, if you're in an area with strong sunlight, if you're browsing on intensive webpages or using android apps. Downloading will also drain the battery (streaming music or video).

Looking at your battery usage it's obvious your browser is a huge culprit here. You should close it when not in use. Maybe your batteries are also worn out?
    10-13-15 06:31 PM
    The z10 has always had awful battery. Exponentially so if you have your brightness anything above minimum, if you're in an area with strong sunlight, if you're browsing on intensive webpages or using android apps. Downloading will also drain the battery (streaming music or video).

Looking at your battery usage it's obvious your browser is a huge culprit here. You should close it when not in use. Maybe your batteries are also worn out?
    I do close it when not in use. But I'll be damned if my batteries are already worn out, two of my batteries are about a year old, and another is about 7 months old. They all seem to have the same capacity.

The times I download or stream music or video are rare, because all my music is stored locally on the SD card. I might jump on YouTube once in a while to check out a new banger before buying it on iTunes though.

I fear that this topic is leaning more and more to "this is normal expected behavior", so what can I do to help battery life apart from change my habits?
    It's not so much the battery that's concerning me, it's the heat the device gives off Soon I'll be cooking mini-steaks on the back
    10-13-15 06:36 PM
    I do close it when not in use. But I'll be damned if my batteries are already worn out, two of my batteries are about a year old, and another is about 7 months old. They all seem to have the same capacity.
    I fear that this topic is leaning more and more to "this is normal expected behavior", so what can I do to help battery life apart from change my habits?
    It's not so much the battery that's concerning me, it's the heat the device gives off Soon I'll be cooking mini-steaks on the back
    I was like you once upon a time ago. On the 2nd year of the z10 I actually purchased the extended battery. Has been using it since as it could last me a full 18 hours and no hassle of carrying spare batteries or charger.

STL100-2 \ SR 10.3.2.2474 \ OS 10.3.2.2639
    10-13-15 10:03 PM
    Since PIM is settled So i am assuming it is business as usual. Give it couple of days, BBVE readings are approximations at best. If you are able to get baseline performance, that should be all.
    heat and stress go hand in hand, keep an eye on rough apps. sometime BBM eats up data and battery like a silent killer. Go through your general settings and watch for anything that might call for data and activate any process on regular intervals. Also look in app permissions and turn off "run when minimised" for apps you don't consider very important.
    10-14-15 04:47 AM
    I was like you once upon a time ago. On the 2nd year of the z10 I actually purchased the extended battery. Has been using it since as it could last me a full 18 hours and no hassle of carrying spare batteries or charger.
    Not sure I can bring myself to buy an "extended" battery. I heard that "extended" batteries (especially the "gold" ones) which are the same dimensions as the genuine LS1 battery are a scam because if you peel off the label, you'll just find a used (and poorly performing) LS1 battery underneath.

Can you tell me what type of extended battery you bought? Did it require a larger back panel? If so, I expect you lost NFC functionality?

Since PIM is settled So i am assuming it is business as usual. Give it couple of days, BBVE readings are approximations at best. If you are able to get baseline performance, that should be all.
    heat and stress go hand in hand, keep an eye on rough apps. sometime BBM eats up data and battery like a silent killer. Go through your general settings and watch for anything that might call for data and activate any process on regular intervals. Also look in app permissions and turn off "run when minimised" for apps you don't consider very important.
    It hasn't been too bad today, but I've been working pretty much all day, and haven't been on my phone much. Anyways, a full battery went in at 13:30 yesterday, and it's now 00:44 (today) with 4% left. According to Device Monitor's battery usage page, System ate through 48%, Browser consumed 37%, PIM Services stole 28% and Display vaporized 22%. The rest are less than 15%. Data wise, in the last 3 days, I consumed just under 2GB of mobile data.

The device didn't get particularly hot today, however again, this is probably attributed from my reduced usage.

Hows this, looking more like normal Z10 usage?
    10-14-15 06:49 PM
    I'm going to give you the cold truth, OP.

The Z10 battery is crap. Just terrible. No tweaking, no practices, nothing will help. Your best bet is to buy 3 extra batteries like everyone else did when we had it. Extended batteries are sketchy, and if they do exist, the good ones will run you a bit. It's just better to buy a couple LS1s now that that they're on the cheap!
    10-14-15 07:25 PM

Yes its with the back panel. A liltle flimsy & no NFC but works great & costs US$20.

On a usual day - I got twitter, igrann, facebook, 4 email accounts, BBM, WhatsApp & WeChat on social media. I also got Clash of Clans & Boom Beach that i play quite a bit. 4G/LTE continuously on my network. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone via TapaTalk
    10-14-15 07:52 PM
    I'm going to give you the cold truth, OP.
    Oh boy... am I about to get flamed again? I seem to be good at that round CrackBerry forums!

The Z10 battery is crap. Just terrible. No tweaking, no practices, nothing will help. Your best bet is to buy 3 extra batteries like everyone else did when we had it. Extended batteries are sketchy, and if they do exist, the good ones will run you a bit. It's just better to buy a couple LS1s now that that they're on the cheap!
    Yeah, I think I've found that out the hard way. I had two LS1's straight off the bat, the one that came with my original Z10, and then ShopBlackBerry accidentally sent me one when I got my replacement device back from them. I then purchased another LS1 recently when 10.3.1 came out, which drastically reduced battery life and cause the phone to generate huge amounts of heat. But I guess this is as good as it gets, I'll continue carrying my 3 LS1 batteries around with me, and get laughed at by iPhone users who are tethered to the wall outlets with 1% of battery Somehow, they think having a non removable battery is better!

Yes its with the back panel. A liltle flimsy & no NFC but works great & costs US$20.
    Wow, that looks pretty amazing, guess that battery does live up to its high mah capacity claims. However, no NFC is a dealbreaker for me because I use it at work. However, I found this extended "Mugen Power" battery, and the back panel that comes with it does appear to have some NFC contacts. However at $89.50, it seems a bit steep, and it doesn't seem to be available in the UK anyway! I'd spend that money better on a 128GB SD XC card for my Z10!
    WanShark69 likes this.
    10-14-15 10:19 PM
    OP not that we can't try improving more, but with Z10; for what it is, am afraid I don't have much to add as I am a Passport user and not too familiar with quirks of z10.
    But I guess this is as good as it gets, I'll continue carrying my 3 LS1 batteries around with me
    But that's how z10 users seem to have their jollies off bb10 on z10...... better than hugging walls!
    10-15-15 05:24 AM
    Hi all,

I own a Z10 (EU model - STL100-2) with unlimited 3G/4G internet.
    The device is just over a year old, and therefore isn't covered under ShopBlackBerry's warranty. It was a replacement Z10 issued by ShopBlackBerry for another Z10 with an unrelated fault.

It seems after updating my BlackBerry 10.3.1 the device gets extremely hot during light use, and the battery begins to drain extremely fast.

I held off posting a topic until now that it's running 10.3.2 but this hasn't improved the issue.

Here's some screenshots from Device Monitor:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151010_005401.jpg 
Views:	654 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	375456 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151010_005713.png 
Views:	651 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	375457

As you can see, after just 22 minutes of usage, the battery is at 85% which was previously fully charged. The back is moderately warm, and the only other app that's running is the music player. Sometimes if the device continues to heat up, music starts skipping, and in severe cases, the current song may 'end' prematurely.

Name:	IMG_20151010_005725.png 
Views:	650 
Size:	127.9 KB 
ID:	375458 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151010_005811.png 
Views:	651 
Size:	135.6 KB 
ID:	375460

What on earth is "PIM services", and why is it consuming a good 40% of CPU time?
    And isn't Music meant to have a separate hardware processor which means it should be using no CPU time?
    All my internet usage is done over Mobile Data, with absolutely no Wi-Fi usage, is this likely the cause of the problems?

Name:	IMG_20151010_005826.png 
Views:	650 
Size:	144.0 KB 
ID:	375461

I do enjoy surfing on my Z10, but I don't think it enjoys it as much as I do, because it will get hot to touch, and the battery drains from 100% to 0% in as little as 4 hours. The browser may also freeze for extended periods of time, but this doesn't lock up the entire phone.
    Playing "Candy Crush (Soda) Saga" also causes the same overheat effect, but the game will start running at crappy FPS as the back becomes baking hot, and eventually the game will forced close and return to the home screen without an error message.

I've tried reloading the OS as a fresh one from BlackBerry Link, which fixed the issue for a couple of days before it returned. Either coincidental, or I didn't use my phone heavily over the first few days.
    So I am wondering if this is normal? Will this be likely to damage my Z10's CPU? It does feel uncomfortably hot.
    Should I try lining the mid-frame and the inside of the back cover with aluminum foil to aid heat dissipation?

Never had this problem in 10.2.1 and below.
    Is my device faulty or is this expected behavior from me as a power user?
    Reload OS 10.3.2.2514 by autoloader and do not restore back up files. This will help battery drainage issues.
    Z10/STL100-2 /OS 2514.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by yeo123; 10-15-15 at 09:00 AM.
    10-15-15 07:01 AM
    Reload OS 10.3.2.2514 by autoloader and do not restore back up files. This will help battery drainage issues.
    Z10/STL100-2 /OS 2514.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think it will help much. I've gone thru dozens of autoload and ended up settling for the extended battery

STL100-2 | SR10.3.2.2514 | OS10.3.2.2789
    10-16-15 06:19 AM
    Z10/STL100-2 /OS 2514.
    Can't use Autoloaders or Sanchesi unfortunately...
    Attachment 370785
    I know the screenshot shows Sanchesi, but I also get the same kind of message when trying to run Autoloaders. BlackBerry Link and other installed programs work fine though.

But that's how z10 users seem to have their jollies off bb10 on z10...... better than hugging walls!
    True that, all the iPhone and Android poor souls!

In other news, I started University yesterday, and the poor Z10 barely made it through a day. Started at 9AM with a full battery, finished University at 3PM with less than 10%, didn't use my phone much at this stage, finally had to swap the battery at around 5PM. "System" consumed a whopping 130%, "Browser" drank down 80%, "Display" ****ed 69% (see what I did there... ) and "PIM services" stole 59%. The rest were under 50%.

Although, the "Average Battery Life" as shown in Device Monitor has inexplicably shot up from 5 hours to 9 hours! I don't know how that's happened, because I don't remember my device lasting 9 hours! Unless that was when I barely used my phone all night last night because I went to the nightclub in full freshers style!
    Last edited by Someone7272; 10-16-15 at 06:57 PM.
    10-16-15 06:39 PM
    Yes. Your phone seems totally messed up.
    Open Autoloader as an administrator, that should let it run.
    At least Turn off NFC and 4g when you need battery.
    10-16-15 08:25 PM
    I think your Z10 is trying to put itself out of the misery of playing Little Mix...

Posted via CB10
    10-17-15 01:43 PM
    Yes. Your phone seems totally messed up.
    Open Autoloader as an administrator, that should let it run.
    At least Turn off NFC and 4g when you need battery.
    Yeah, I always disable NFC unless I'm at work where it's needed. Is there any need to turn off 4G? There aren't any 4G networks nearby. If so, how, I can't seem to find the setting.
    Unfortunately, the Autoloader was still denied, even as an administrator...
    Am I getting extreme for my poor Z10? Overheating + battery drain-test.fw.png
    I think your Z10 is trying to put itself out of the misery of playing Little Mix...
    Yeah, it was only going to be a matter of time before somebody calls me out about my music taste... do you even know who Little Mix are?!
    My Z10 should feel privileged for being able to play Little Mix to me!
    10-18-15 01:45 PM
    Unfortunately I do know all too well who Little Mix are...
    Not my thing, but hey, it takes all sorts to make the world go round!
    I am sure my music tastes would cause some comment too.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-15 05:32 PM
    hello guys I have also battery problem mine well last a bit longer nut when it is at about 30% it dies !!!!

I even found a website that they describe this problem : How To Fix BlackBerry Z10 Battery Dies At 30-15% – TechnoBezz

I dont know what to do since i heart from someone here it wont help anything thats z10 problems ... I could buy a new battery but who knows if it helps?
    10-19-15 02:39 AM
    hello guys I have also battery problem mine well last a bit longer nut when it is at about 30% it dies !!!!

I even found a website that they describe this problem : How To Fix BlackBerry Z10 Battery Dies At 30-15% �€“ TechnoBezz

I dont know what to do since i heart from someone here it wont help anything thats z10 problems ... I could buy a new battery but who knows if it helps?
    One of my three batteries does this. I don't know why. I think it's just faulty and a new battery will most likely sort you out, but probably won't fix the generally poor battery life.
    The battery I have that does this appears to be deformed, warped and bulging, I wonder if I really should continue using it...

Unfortunately I do know all too well who Little Mix are...
    Not my thing, but hey, it takes all sorts to make the world go round!
    I am sure my music tastes would cause some comment too.
    They're my guilty pleasure, we all have one!

Posted via my Dell Mobile Workstation - bring back signatures!
    Last edited by Someone7272; 10-27-15 at 07:47 PM.
    10-27-15 07:36 PM