/grumble

Verizon increases the price of unlimited data plans by $20 a month

So us "1%'ers" that still have unlimited data plans are costing Verizon sooooo much that they need to raise the price to be on par with the 99% who pay-by-data-allotment.
    10-09-15 07:03 AM
    unfortunately, no way around that. I gave up my unlimited data plan a long time ago when my son wanted to upgrade to the iphone 6plus....i still have 12 GB of data a month. costs a little more tho
    00stryder and DaFoxGrey like this.
    10-09-15 10:16 AM
    It's still a good deal in my opinion. I wish I never gave up my unlimited data. I wanted a Z30 so badly and I couldn't buy one at full price at the time. So I sold out my unlimited data to get a Z30 in my hands. Haha. We don't have home internet... that is the only reason we use do much data. I'm still mad because I was promised in 2012 that they would "never take the unlimited data" from me "no matter what" since I had been a customer for so many years. That I was "grandfathered in". I wish they just kept their word on that.

Posted via CB10
    DaFoxGrey likes this.
    10-09-15 01:19 PM
    It's still a good deal in my opinion. I wish I never gave up my unlimited data. I wanted a Z30 so badly and I couldn't buy one at full price at the time. So I sold out my unlimited data to get a Z30 in my hands. Haha. We don't have home internet... that is the only reason we use do much data. I'm still mad because I was promised in 2012 that they would "never take the unlimited data" from me "no matter what" since I had been a customer for so many years. That I was "grandfathered in". I wish they just kept their word on that.

Posted via CB10
    I have to agree.
    Currently I'm at $29.99/monthUS for unlimited on my Z30 LTE, so with increase it will be $49.99 and still unlimited.
    But, I still think it is a steep increase and for really no reason.
    RJanney likes this.
    10-09-15 01:32 PM
    I agree with you. And some of us barely get any minutes of talk time! I only get 450 minutes which is practically nothing for a month
    10-09-15 06:29 PM
    I agree with you. And some of us barely get any minutes of talk time! I only get 450 minutes which is practically nothing for a month
    I guess it depends on your priorities. If you don't talk or text much and do all of your Internet business and / or pleasure on your phone, unlimited data makes sense. Personally, my wife and I are still old school. We talk on the phone a lot and do a lot of texting. Average Internet use because we also have broadband Internet at home, so unlimited talk and text with 10gb data for $80.00 is reasonable for us.

Posted from my Verizon Z10 10.3.2.858
    10-10-15 09:06 PM
    Fair increase. The price has been $30 for over 6 years now. Increasing to $50 while adding device finance option is fair.

And yes, now that unlimited data users are 1% of subscribers, most unlimited users will be high GB usage.

As a subscriber with 2 unlimited Verizon lines, I don't have an issue with this increase. My plan is the only truly unlimited wireless plan in the US. No throttling and full hotspot support.

Posted via CB10
    BerryRipe likes this.
    10-10-15 10:52 PM
    Just to confirm: Verizon was not allowing you guys (the 1%) to renew contracts at all? I understand that you guys wouldn't get subsidized phones, but you don't necessarily need to get a phone to renew. Regardless, there's no way to renew now and lock in the current rate for two years?
    10-11-15 09:25 PM
    Just to confirm: Verizon was not allowing you guys (the 1%) to renew contracts at all? I understand that you guys wouldn't get subsidized phones, but you don't necessarily need to get a phone to renew. Regardless, there's no way to renew now and lock in the current rate for two years?
    Pretty much when Verizon discontinued the unlimited plan, like 4 years ago??, the only way you could lock it back in to a contact was via a subsidized upgrade.
    However, they removed the subsidized upgrade, so there really isn't a legit way of rolling an unlimited plan into a new contract.
    There was/are other ways for tricking the unlimited plan into a contract, via finagling third part websites or VAR (Verizon Authorized Retailers) by doing a new device "upgrade" and having your existing plan rolled in, but without anyone checking to make sure the plan is currently a valid offer. I'm not sure if any of those tricks work now, plus if you goof up or get caught, you risk loosing the unlimited service you currently have.
    Write up about that here:
    http://slickdeals.net/f/7743625-veri...ide-basic-line

I got into the unlimited plan, originally, via the Verizon BlackBerry Storm two year contract, less than a year after they started with that offer. I kept that for over three years, then did a subsidized upgrade to a Verizon Torch and had my unlimited plan rolled into the two year contract. After a few more years, I decided to go to a Z30.
    But by then there was no way to roll an unlimited plan back into a contract, so I bought the phone outright and switched devices on my existing unlimited plan. I lost the BIS perks, but gained LTE unlimited which was nice coming from the 3G service I had. I have been off contract sense then.
    Last edited by DaFoxGrey; 11-29-15 at 07:41 AM.
    RJanney and raino like this.
    10-12-15 06:38 AM
    With the price increase, Verizon is also letting customers do device payment upgrades. Yay.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-15 02:19 AM
    With the price increase, Verizon is also letting customers do device payment upgrades. Yay.

Posted via CB10
    Do you have a link to this? I read this same thing on some news articles, but nothing in my Verizon statement with the new charge notice.
    11-08-15 12:42 PM
    We switched from a 2 year contract to one of the new plans. We got almost double the data, but our monthly bill is going to go down by about $40. And yes, we will have to buy new phones at full price. But we aren't ones to be constantly upgrading to the latest and greatest. And even if one of us does get a new phone, the price divided by 24 months is still less than $40.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 01:57 PM
    Luckily for me BBM is cross platform and almost everyone I chat with regularly uses it now, so I was able to save $10 by switching from unlimited texts. I get 1000 now, and I only seem to use 700 average

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 04:53 PM
    Just to be clear, your billing cycle with the old pricing has to end before you can do the upgrade and keep the higher priced unlimited data.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-15 11:53 PM
    I switched from the unlimited data plan in June when I upgraded a phone on my line. Both lines on my plan use less than a total of 1 GB of data a month. We have Internet service at home and work, so it didn't make sense to continue to pay the $30 per month for unlimited data. It also saves a few $ per month off the bill.

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Z30
    11-20-15 12:12 PM
    I bought my Z30 from Amazon to avoid giving up my unlimited data plan. They did raise the price, but as long as I can keep my unlimited plan, I will pay full cost to get my smartphone elsewhere and get my SIM card from Verizon.

Posted via CB10
    jeanholton1 likes this.
    03-29-16 01:10 PM