I've been pretty clear that I think BBRY will be out of handsets shortly and that BB10 is already dead either way but if BBRY really want a chance with Android then they need to either give Chen some media training or stop him speaking in public... (he also said that if mobile isn't profitable next year, he'll pull the plug)

10-08-15 11:37 AM
    Budget is too tight to hire a media trainer but Chen loves talking in public. BlackBerry simply hopes for the best with Priv, nothing more. If by some miracle, Priv turns out to be a mega-hit, awesome, if not, oh well.
    10-08-15 11:43 AM
    Budget is too tight to hire a media trainer but Chen loves talking in public. BlackBerry simply hopes for the best with Priv, nothing more. If by some miracle, Priv turns out to be a mega-hit, awesome, if not, oh well.

Yes he loves saying things like (also from Codemobile) this when asked about how secure the Priv is going to be:

Chen: We work with Google, but I can't guarantee anything, maybe that's a dumb thing for me to say, but we think we'll be more resilient than anyone else.
    Jakob Greve and sammyg423 like this.
    10-08-15 11:45 AM
    Yeah not a good message..
    10-08-15 11:45 AM
    god it gets worse:

Chen: We're probably the same level as Samsung's Knox. The only other commercial phone that can say they have the same or better than us is maybe the BlackPhone.

My god.

So to summarize - outside of hardcore keyboard fans, the slim competitive advantage this phone might have is security and before launch you have the CEO saying:

* it might be as good as a samsung
    * Here's hoping its secure but who can say
    * Man that Blackphone looks like a good option if you want to be REALLY secure.
    10-08-15 11:47 AM
    https://live.theverge.com/live-code-...015-john-chen/

For the full interview
    10-08-15 11:50 AM
    god it gets worse:

Chen: We're probably the same level as Samsung's Knox. The only other commercial phone that can say they have the same or better than us is maybe the BlackPhone.

My god.

So to summarize - outside of hardcore keyboard fans, the slim competitive advantage this phone might have is security and before launch you have the CEO saying:

* it might be as good as a samsung
    * Here's hoping its secure but who can say
    * Man that Blackphone looks like a good option if you want to be REALLY secure.
    LOL, BB can certainly pick 'em can't they?

Thor used to speak random techno-babble which was rapidly "clarified" by his PR minders after a universal "say whut???!" from listeners. While Chen, who really doesn't understand his company's products - "it runs Google" - is honest to (beyond?) the point of fault.

PR 101 - Never mention a competitor's product; and never make comparisons between your and their offerings! Beyond dumb!

Chen certainly makes for a refreshing change from Thor... but equally damaging to BlackBerry.
    FF22, mas_quemex and cgk like this.
    10-08-15 12:01 PM
    Epic dropping of the ball. Advertising everyone on this playing field but BlackBerry; the company he represents. Smdh.

 Posted via CB10 on my Q10 
    Ealaionta likes this.
    10-08-15 12:05 PM
    I'm hoping what I just read was in fact a bad dream, and I'll forget about it tomorrow.

*Takes a forget-me-now*

Posted via CB10
    10-08-15 12:07 PM
    like... WTH JC ?
    10-08-15 12:14 PM
    My only hope priv sell well..
    10-08-15 12:19 PM
    LOL, BB can certainly pick 'em can't they?

Thor used to speak random techno-babble which was rapidly "clarified" by his PR minders after a universal "say whut???!" from listeners. While Chen, who really doesn't understand his company's products - "it runs Google" - is honest to (beyond?) the point of fault.

PR 101 - Never mention a competitor's product; and never make comparisons between your and their offerings! Beyond dumb!

Chen certainly makes for a refreshing change from Thor... but equally damaging to BlackBerry.
    I suspect that Chen never liked the hardware side of the business and his plan has been all along to do whatever he can to kill any last chance for the hardware side of the business.
    10-08-15 01:05 PM
    I suspect that Chen never liked the hardware side of the business and his plan has been all along to do whatever he can to kill any last chance for the hardware side of the business.
    He does indeed also give away the endgame:

We think we can be a standout by providing security to handsets even if we don't make them.
    Priv is either blockbuster sales or that's it.
    10-08-15 01:11 PM
    And he even takes that back by his comments that fail to assert that BlackBerry is a standout in security on other platforms.
    10-08-15 01:16 PM
    My only hope priv sell well..
    I'm right there with you on that.

After this interview, I'm of the opinion that it is better to release the Priv sooner rather than later. At least in doing so, it will have a chance to sell itself based on its own merits.

It is unfortunate that Chen isn't giving it an effective boost so it has the best possible chance to stand alone in the wild against the Knox and Blackphone wolves.

 Posted via CB10 on my Q10 
    10-08-15 01:16 PM
    I give it nine months....

We'll have an installment plan so you can afford to buy one....

How good are we... well were not as good a BlackPhone but we aren't any worse the KNOX.....

If they don't do a lot of real marketing.... then you'll know that Chen never really expected any more than a proof of concept for the BlackBerry Experience Apps.
    10-08-15 01:17 PM
    Hello,

Incompetent. Another unforced error.

But don't worry everyone--it's an ANDROID phone, so that will fix everything.

Is he TRYING to kill hardware? Kind of hard to deny. He stated he wants a Software company, and he's chosen a path to get that.

It is either that, or his incompetence is much deeper than I thought possible.

KAM
    10-08-15 01:22 PM
    I love how he pretty much said that anyone looking at a Priv for security should definitely check out Samsung Knox and BlackPhone first. LOL.
    10-08-15 01:22 PM

They will price it so they won't sell. I think the Priv will be one of maybe two Android devices that they will price high and not market. This is his chance to say. OH well, we tried and let's stop making phones. He never understood anything by the software market.
    10-08-15 01:25 PM
    Hello,

Incompetent. Another unforced error.

But don't worry everyone--it's an ANDROID phone, so that will fix everything.

Is he TRYING to kill hardware? Kind of hard to deny. He stated he wants a Software company, and he's chosen a path to get that.

It is either that, or his incompetence is much deeper than I thought possible.

KAM
    Yes. He is TRYING to KILL the hardware division. It is something he doesn't understand and doesn't like so he is trying as hard as he can to kill the hardware without saying he wants to kill the hardware. He never wanted BB10 to succeed in the first place. He wasn't the person that BlackBerry needed.
    10-08-15 01:27 PM
    After this, maybe Chen can be Honda's new CMO?

"The New Honda Accord. Almost as reliable as a Toyota. Well, that's what we hope, er, I mean think."
    10-08-15 01:32 PM
    He never wanted BB10 to succeed in the first place. He wasn't the person that BlackBerry needed.
    You can say that again.

KAM
    10-08-15 01:35 PM
    $799 is how much the BlackPhone 2 is suppose to cost.... So IF security is your first concern, why would you choose the PRIV? Even if the PRIV is a bargain at $599 (which isn't what it sounded like it would be) is that enough of a savings to make IT pick the PRIV?

Chen just handed the BlackPhone guys the best endorsement they could get....
    Batibreaker likes this.
    10-08-15 01:36 PM

Anyone who is hoping for "blockbuster" sales is insane. I'm not gonna mince words anymore.

So, let's see

1) Refuse to maintain development of BB10 in a reasonable way (we've gotten bare minimum, and will be less moving forward)
    2) Insist that Android is the only POSSIBLE route (self-fulfilling plan--see #1).
    3) Continue pattern of non-existent or totally incompetent marketing.
    4) Fire or drive away any competent staff.
    5) Name it the "Priv"
    6) Botch "announcement" of PRIV.
    7) All along this path let idiocy spill out of your mouth.
    8) Compare your ONLY hardware device left to be "PROBABLY" as good as something else.
    9) Set INSANE expectations for "success" given that you've sabotaged any possibility of such in steps 1-8
    10) Future coming soon: Make excuses, pretending that they tried everything they could.

Fire this ***** today. Fire Him, Fire him, Fire him. Then the board should fire themselves for hiring this half-wit.

KAM
    Ealaionta, FF22, Q10Bold and 5 others like this.
    10-08-15 01:44 PM
    This is the slowest train wreck ever. So many feet with holes in them. .
    JeepBB, pat-wallace and Doggerz like this.
    10-08-15 03:18 PM
165 123 ...