AT&T turned on 700 MHz interoperability feature in network, is selling Band 12-capable devices - FierceWireless

I think this just about guarantees that the Priv will come with band 12.
    00stryder, Uzi and modifier like this.
    10-05-15 04:46 PM
    It's looking that way!
    10-05-15 06:52 PM
    Not sure how this directly correlates with the Priv, and I don't care! Woop woop!

Posted via CB10
    10-05-15 06:58 PM
    What am I missing here? I mean, we could just roam on AT$T band 17 if there was a contract.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-15 09:42 PM
    Are you getting the Priv, Raino?
    Come on you need to upgrade from Q10
    10-05-15 09:51 PM
    What am I missing here? I mean, we could just roam on AT$T band 17 if there was a contract.
    With a band 17 phone on their band 17 network--sure. But not with a band 12 phone on their band 17 network. Now you can, once these modifications are made (with a roaming agreement in place, of course.)

Are you getting the Priv, Raino?
    Come on you need to upgrade from Q10
    Ooh I wish you hadn't asked me that

I'll wait and see. Not a big fan of Android.
    lift likes this.
    10-05-15 09:57 PM
    With a band 17 phone on their band 17 network--sure. But not with a band 12 phone on their band 17 network. Now you can, once these modifications are made (with a roaming agreement in place, of course.)

Ooh I wish you hadn't asked me that

I'll wait and see. Not a big fan of Android.
    But who makes a phone with band 12 but not band 17? Basically the North American phones have all ATT and Tmo bands.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-15 10:27 AM
    But who makes a phone with band 12 but not band 17? Basically the North American phones have all ATT and Tmo bands.
    LG, for example. Their TMO variant of the G4 doesn't have band 17. I wouldn't be surprised if some recent TMO variants of Samsung phones don't have b17 either.

But the bigger news is that the technological hurdle for a b12/no b17 phone roaming on b17 is now gone. That being said, I don't think TMO's in any hurry to sign LTE roaming agreements unless it helps them with voice coverage (or put another way, doesn't rehash the b12 voLTE situation.)

Plus if band 12 is sufficient for coverage on both bands 12 and 17, that's one less filter a manufacturer has to worry about, at least for the US. BB still might have both bands though if Canadian carriers don't have MFBI up yet.
    10-06-15 12:00 PM
    LG, for example. Their TMO variant of the G4 doesn't have band 17. I wouldn't be surprised if some recent TMO variants of Samsung phones don't have b17 either.

But the bigger news is that the technological hurdle for a b12/no b17 phone roaming on b17 is now gone. That being said, I don't think TMO's in any hurry to sign LTE roaming agreements unless it helps them with voice coverage (or put another way, doesn't rehash the b12 voLTE situation.)

Plus if band 12 is sufficient for coverage on both bands 12 and 17, that's one less filter a manufacturer has to worry about, at least for the US. BB still might have both bands though if Canadian carriers don't have MFBI up yet.
    Gotcha. Seems like a bad idea not to make a phone that is Tmo and ATT ready. I'd be reluctant to buy one.

I used to run into an engineer at Avago, one of the manufacturers for these cellular filters. He told me the one that was lacking in the early Verizon iphones about $5 a filter, but that could be BS. It is tough to get pricing on electronic components in volume. You may recall the early iphones couldn't do voice and data simultaneously on Verizon.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-15 01:41 AM
    You may recall the early iphones couldn't do voice and data simultaneously on Verizon.
    Apple has never made an iPhone that can do simultaneous voice/data on Verizon, or any other CDMA carrier for that matter, unless they support VoLTE. They didn't want to support dual active radios (required for such a scenario unless the carrier used EVDO-RevC, which I don't think anyone ever deployed) because of the battery/power requirements. And probably also because when you look at the number of potential customers served by the increasingly shrinking CDMA carrier footprint, the lack of such a feature compared to where they could better deploy resources to serve the much larger GSM footprint probably just didn't appeal to them.
    lift likes this.
    10-12-15 04:35 AM