Think about it. Right now the BlackBerry brand is worthless in the consumer space (and some might say that it is not much better in the prosumer space). But with the Android powered PRIV about to come out, what if this actually helped push BB10 devices as well.

To be clear, I am not a fan of the Android OS. I am obviously in the minority. So what if bringing out an Android device actually helps Blackberry's brand. No more APP gap argument. Customers will have access to ALL of Android applications. The PRIV will be carried by the TOP 4 carriers in the States (no small feat). I still don't understand how I can't buy an unlocked SE Passport in a retail store. But how could this possibly help our beloved BB10 OS.

First, people might actually buy the PRIV. Like I said, top carriers will have the PRIV on the shelves. The PRIV seems to have high end specs. The salesforce will know that the PRIV will have access to all APPs. So let's say the PRIV sells a good amount.

NEXT, from what I understand, the PRIV will have a BB10 feel to it. Not sure which BB10 features will be on the PRIV, but if they have the HUB, that is already a major bonus. Just having people with a Blackberry product walking about is a start. There are not many of us out there. I know of quite a few, but my wife says that I seek BB users out. Kinda like a stalker...

When I ask people why they buy a certain device, answers vary. For iPhone, they are Apple fanatics. As for Android devices, NO ONE ever says that they are buying it because their device has the latest Android OS. Most of the people I know don't even know what Android OS is. Some buy their device because they like the camera. Many like the fact that they can get all of the APPs they need. Many buy their device based on the price. But no one (I know) says it's because it runs Android.

So what if the people who buy the PRIV love the BlackBerry 'skin' so much that they become Blackberry lovers like yours truly. As a BlackBerry lover, they now only buy BlackBerry devices. So when it's time for an upgrade, these new BB loyalists only look at the BlackBerry section (YES, there will be a section) at their local carriers. Since they have no idea about the OS, they are now only looking for a new BB device and not Android powered BB device. They now 'expect' a BB device to have all the APPs that they need, and many might already have that with the BB10 OS and not know it. These same customers have now become accustomed to the hard keyboard QWERTY that only BB can make. They love the HUB. So when looking for a new device, they are really looking for a new BlackBerry device. And what catches their eyes when they go device shopping, the amazingly unique Passport.

Someone posted that the Passport on Amazon was up to #17 best selling device a few days ago. Maybe people are stocking up in fear that the Passport will soon only be Android powered. Maybe the press about the PRIV having all the new APPs got people looking to ' come back ' to Blackberry.

So having bought the PRIV and enjoying the partial BB experience, they become BB loyalists. They talk up Blackberry to their friends and colleagues. BlackBerry becomes cool again (or at least, NOT uncool). Stranger things have happened. Apple was VERY uncool and ALMOST dead a dozen years ago. Who's to say that it can't happen to BlackBerry.

So BlackBerry becomes acceptable again, and this helps BB10 OS sales. Will this matter? Has Chen already decided to phase BB10 out? Can BlackBerry support two OS'? Do they even want to? Will the hopeful uptick in BB10 OS device sales push developers to consider making their APPs compatible to BB10 or does the Amazon Store / Android semi-compatible kill any chance of this happening?

OR am I just looking for any possibility that the BB10 OS is not dying???
    10-02-15 04:18 AM
    Not going to happen, sorry
    Mecca EL and kbz1960 like this.
    10-02-15 04:30 AM
    Not going to happen, sorry
    Because the PRIV won't sell? Or you actually think that people care if their phones have Android?
    10-02-15 04:46 AM
    Chen does not want to pay for OS development or the chip drivers to sustain BB10. BlackBerry phones are not as good as the competition and PKB'S have limited appeal. BlackBerry needs to go all Android on the Classic and Passport as well has make a great all touch to survive.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-15 05:17 AM
    BlackBerry 10 sales won't boost no matter with priv sales
    Mecca EL and kbz1960 like this.
    10-02-15 05:23 AM
    Chen does not want to pay for OS development or the chip drivers to sustain BB10. BlackBerry phones are not as good as the competition and PKB'S have limited appeal. BlackBerry needs to go all Android on the Classic and Passport as well has make a great all touch to survive.

Posted via CB10
    My questions was : Do you think the PRIV (if it sells well) can boost BB10 device sales? Regardless of what Chen wants to do.
    10-02-15 05:53 AM
    No. BB10 is soon to be an orphan. People want an ecosystem, good battery, good camera, well made, great screen and an aggressive price point. BB10 is an answer for a question that consumers are not asking.

Phone users are not particularly interested in phone operating systems.

The problem was just not BB10. PKB's are regarded as old technology. I do not see BlackBerry reversing that trend, even with the PRIV. Secondly, BlackBerry is synonymous with the Classic and that device has not sold well either.

I just got back from Europe and I did not see one BlackBerry device and I looked hard.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-15 06:23 AM
    My questions was : Do you think the PRIV (if it sells well) can boost BB10 device sales? Regardless of what Chen wants to do.
    No.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-02-15 06:23 AM
    BlackBerry will struggle to get this thing on shelves. Retailers and carriers have been burned by a lack of support and training from BlackBerry, lack of marketing and low sales.

What incentive is there for retailers and carriers to stock another BlackBerry product when they're in low demand and other manufacturers have provided training and marketing for their product?

It's all risk with very little reward from a carrier perspective.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-15 06:33 AM
    BlackBerry will struggle to get this thing on shelves. Retailers and carriers have been burned by a lack of support and training from BlackBerry, lack of marketing and low sales.

What incentive is there for retailers and carriers to stock another BlackBerry product when they're in low demand and other manufacturers have provided training and marketing for their product?

Posted via CB10
    Yes, great point. It seems to be the only decent slider in the market place and it runs Android. I think that the sales staff will not actively turn the public away like they do now.

I think it will sell better than the Classic and Passport but I can see BB10 sales dropping like a stone so that at the end of the day overall device sales might still be quite low.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-15 06:46 AM
    I posted about this about 8 months ago saying BlackBerry should release an android to get their brand back and that it may help sell BB10 devices.

The only way this happens is if they knock it out of the park with Priv.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-15 10:47 AM

Posted via CB10
    Chen said that the TOP 4 carriers in the states will be stocking the PRIV. That's a start. If they are stocking it, it's safe to assume that many other carriers will do the same.
    10-02-15 10:49 AM
    It can for those who do not need apps(very few). So very few people of a large install based is still very few relative to the who picture. Even if it boost some, it will be marginal. The PRIV gives them app as well. How many will lose apps to gain BB10 efficiency? Almost Nil. Especially if the PRIV is already getting those core BB10 features.
    10-02-15 11:32 AM
    Imo, even if Android is skinned to look like BB10, it will be hard to replicate the file handling, multi-tasking and deep mutual integration of all the components. Of course, the average consumer won't care about those things, but they are why I hope BlackBerry will keep BB10 around, even if it's just for enterprise users.

Posted via CB10 on Passport.
    10-02-15 12:30 PM
    Imo, even if Android is skinned to look like BB10, it will be hard to replicate the file handling, multi-tasking and deep mutual integration of all the components. Of course, the average consumer won't care about those things, but they are why I hope BlackBerry will keep BB10 around, even if it's just for enterprise users.

Posted via CB10 on Passport.
    Agree, by the way, i like your Avatar, what version?
    10-02-15 12:34 PM
    Chen said that the TOP 4 carriers in the states will be stocking the PRIV. That's a start. If they are stocking it, it's safe to assume that many other carriers will do the same.
    Actually, it was stated that the top 4 carriers in the US would be carrying the Priv. Carrying isn't the same as stocking (tons of AT&T stores don't stock the Passport, even though AT&T carries it and it can be ordered through their systems) - though I expect that at least corporate stores will probably stock them in small numbers. If sales are better than expected, then more will be stocked.

It's definitely true that sales reps will be more likely to support the Priv, given that they are already used to the Android OS and will understand how to use the phone and its major features (unlike BB10, for which many reps never received any training). But it's also true that carriers have been burned by BB many times before, and will be cautious in ordering stock and in which stores they stock the phones, etc. Hopefully interest is high enough that this helps to start turning around that bad reputation BB has with the carriers.
    10-02-15 01:28 PM
    Imo, even if Android is skinned to look like BB10
    It won't be, at least, not on the Priv. The interface is stock Nexus-type Android, with the addition of a gesture to access the Hub, and of course with the BB Experience Suite of apps installed. Don't expect a BB10-type skin, because it isn't coming (at least, not with the Priv, but likely not ever). BB needs people to know that this is Android, and needs Android people to be instantly familiar with it so that they will buy and use it and not return it. A BB10 skin (at least, a non-optional BB10 skin) would have killed the device before it launched, given BB's precarious position currently.
    10-02-15 01:32 PM
    Actually, it was stated that the top 4 carriers in the US would be carrying the Priv. Carrying isn't the same as stocking (tons of AT&T stores don't stock the Passport, even though AT&T carries it and it can be ordered through their systems) - though I expect that at least corporate stores will probably stock them in small numbers. If sales are better than expected, then more will be stocked.

It's definitely true that sales reps will be more likely to support the Priv, given that they are already used to the Android OS and will understand how to use the phone and its major features (unlike BB10, for which many reps never received any training). But it's also true that carriers have been burned by BB many times before, and will be cautious in ordering stock and in which stores they stock the phones, etc. Hopefully interest is high enough that this helps to start turning around that bad reputation BB has with the carriers.
    I don't see how the carriers can get burned by stocking the PRIV. They are only buying the devices once they are sold. If they don't sell any, they send them back to Blackberry.

I understand that the devices still take up space in the retail locations, and that there are costs related to logistics and such, but the hardware cost is nil unless they sell the device.
    10-03-15 01:56 AM
    I posted about this about 8 months ago saying BlackBerry should release an android to get their brand back and that it may help sell BB10 devices.

The only way this happens is if they knock it out of the park with Priv.

Posted via CB10
    But if they knock it out of the park with the PRIV, then even if they do see an uptick with BB10 devices, CHEN will have more incentive to switch everything over to Android. SO, the future of hardware, no matter what happens, will either be 1) all future devices running Android OS or 2) no more devices.
    10-03-15 02:02 AM
    Hopefully we can keep the BlackBerry Hub, the BlackBerry 10 virtual keyboard, and the option to mount the micro-SD card as an external drive on the PC.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-15 03:26 AM
    I don't see how the carriers can get burned by stocking the PRIV. They are only buying the devices once they are sold. If they don't sell any, they send them back to Blackberry.
    It doesn't work that way, at least not at the volumes BB is dealing with. Carriers have a minimum order they have to place, and there is no returning those. Generally the carriers have to pay cash for the phones (from distributors, who buy them from BB), and so not only is there no returning them, but having phones in stock for a long time that don't sell ties up a lot of the carrier's cash, which keeps them from doing other things with it, such as adding new towers, buying other products to sell, or whatever. Ideally, any retailer wants to move product as fast as they buy it, rather than have to have their money tied up in a bunch of stock for a long time.

And the carriers, who ordered large volumes of Z10s and Q10s, ended up getting stuck with them, and lost money from them when they didn't sell and the carriers were forced to fire-sale the ones they had in stock. Same with the Storm previously.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    10-03-15 04:08 PM
    BlackBerry needs to go all Android on the Classic and Passport as well has make a great all touch to survive.
    Then it's not a BlackBerry and there are far more appealing choices out there to Android or Android on RIM hardware.

The big problem with BB10 is that it can't be found on any desirable mainstream hardware. The slider with BB10 might have helped it along, but relying on the Classic and Leap is silly.
    10-04-15 03:03 AM
    Then it's not a BlackBerry and there are far more appealing choices out there to Android or Android on RIM hardware.

The big problem with BB10 is that it can't be found on any desirable mainstream hardware. The slider with BB10 might have helped it along, but relying on the Classic and Leap is silly.
    The 9900 and Classic are both iconic style BlackBerry phones. A Classic style and Passport and the PRIV would still be BlackBerry phones because of the PKB. These same phones would sell better as an Android device. If BlackBerry made a good Android all touch, this device would sell more units than their PKB devices.

I agree that BlackBerry should have made a fantastic all touch BB10 device rather than the Passport but the ship has sailed on BB10 and the fire sale will start as soon as the PRIV is released. BlackBerry has to go all in on Android and not just rely on the small PKB niche.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-15 06:55 AM
    That saying "if we build it, they will come" is about to have its prophecy fulfilled.
    OAMMmmm......

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL and sirius27 like this.
    10-04-15 01:48 PM
    It doesn't work that way, at least not at the volumes BB is dealing with. Carriers have a minimum order they have to place, and there is no returning those. Generally the carriers have to pay cash for the phones (from distributors, who buy them from BB), and so not only is there no returning them, but having phones in stock for a long time that don't sell ties up a lot of the carrier's cash, which keeps them from doing other things with it, such as adding new towers, buying other products to sell, or whatever. Ideally, any retailer wants to move product as fast as they buy it, rather than have to have their money tied up in a bunch of stock for a long time.

And the carriers, who ordered large volumes of Z10s and Q10s, ended up getting stuck with them, and lost money from them when they didn't sell and the carriers were forced to fire-sale the ones they had in stock. Same with the Storm previously.
    I am not 100% sure but I am almost positive that carriers don't pay for BB devices in advance nor do they have a minimum. Blackberry doesn't have this type of bargaining power (anymore). BECAUSE of the Z10 (and Q10 and Q5), Blackberry had to change their selling practices and now they sell (or carriers buy) only what is sold to the end user. There is no upfront cost. There is no minimum (except maybe the AT&T exclusive).
    10-05-15 09:16 AM
50 12