Obviously this must be answered two ways.
    First, officially support via BlackBerry world and Amazon, I would say maybe 30-40% of relevant apps are available.
    Unofficially via snap and Google play, I would say 90% or more are available.

For me, every app I need works with one exception, the MLB at bat app doesn't play live video.

What is your experience?

Posted via CB10
    10-01-15 09:26 PM
    It's not that bad for me. The apps that won't work are the apps I can do without. All of the apps I need like Netflix, Skype, and a couple games work so I'm good.

Posted via CB10
    pat-wallace and nt300 like this.
    10-01-15 09:52 PM
    There isn't one.

Priv

To add though its only as big as what you compromise. If the services, features that you need are available...

There isn't one.

!
    10-01-15 09:55 PM
    I personally have no app gap with my Passport (yet, anyway). I only use about 12 android apps and of those only 3-4 regularly. All but 2 are from Amazon. I know that Amazon apps are usually older and may be missing perceived "improvements" as those from Google Play Store, but on 2 occasions, I tried the google apps and ended up deleting them. IMHO newer does NOT always mean better, at least for me. I will stick with my Passport for the foreseeable future.
    HabsFan9860 likes this.
    10-01-15 10:00 PM
    BbW has all the apps I need.

BlackBerry Passport SE on Rogers in Victoria BC Canada to CB 10
    bigjman, tjseaman and nt300 like this.
    10-01-15 10:26 PM
    With Cobalt's modified Google Play Services setup, I can manage OK on that end (although this is hardly a mainstream solution).

Being stuck on Jellybean is becoming a problem, however. The new Microsoft Office Suite is one example.

If the world froze in time today, I'd be fine. Looking forward a few months, things will get ugly fast. We are three major iterations behind with Android - Kit Kat, Lollipop, and now Marshmallow. It also seems that Google is pulling more and more major developers into the Google Play Services fold.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2639
    Xaiux, LuvULongTime and TommyBB like this.
    10-01-15 10:34 PM
    I'm hoping the new priv will provide some sort of support for a new Android runtime with full Google support on BB10 devices.

Really, that is all we need to fill in the last "gap" in apps we need filled.

Otherwise I have everything I need. Clash of clans works fine ha ha.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-15 10:41 PM
    I'm hoping the new priv will provide some sort of support for a new Android runtime with full Google support on BB10 devices.

Really, that is all we need to fill in the last "gap" in apps we need filled.

Otherwise I have everything I need. Clash of clans works fine ha ha.

Posted via CB10
    The Priv is exclusively Android in no uncertain terms.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2639
    10-01-15 10:43 PM
    Every app I used on my previous Android devices work perfectly on the Passport after installing Cobalt's services.

I could get a few of them from Amazon, but I just decided to consolidate and get them all from the Play Store.

I don't game or do any social media, the apps I use are:

OneNote, PocketCasts, Pandora, YouTube, Play Music, Google Maps, Quizlet, Pirate Bay Browser, URL Shortener, Uber, Charles Schwab, and tTorrent Pro.

It would be nice to get an updated runtime, but I'm doing just fine with it as it is.

Posted via CB10 // Passport SQW100-1 // 10.3.2.2339 // Cricket Wireless
    10-01-15 10:51 PM
    It's so wide nearly 99% of the market doesn't want to use a BlackBerry 10 device.

They laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at them because they're all the same. 
    10-01-15 11:22 PM
    Question: "How big is the app gap really?"

Answer: "Big enough for BlackBerry to produce Android handset in spite of the fact the BB10 OS is way more better than Android."

Posted via CB10
    10-02-15 01:21 AM
    The app gap is in the eye of the beholder. I don't really NEED any Android apps. I got a couple on the phone courtesy of Snap, but if I was not able to have them...no big deal.

Those who absolutely need the apps will see the app gap has gigantic, those without that need won't see a thing.

I'm a hardware guy. Give me high voltage inverters and power supply boards or LCD panels to troubleshoot and install, I got that. Software, not so much. I understand that BB10 natively will not support Google Play Services unless the elaborate procedures posted on here are done to enable them. But for those who like BB10 and need their Android apps...is it not possible to at least update the Android runtime to a newer version so that more apps that do not need GPS will work?

I am seeing people complain that various apps are no longer working due to the aged runtime currently active in BB10. Understandable.

We should also recognize that BlackBerry is in a precarious position sales wise and they need people to buy new handsets. None of us BB10 users should expect that ability to install Android on our handsets. BlackBerry's gotta keep its head in the game by moving Privs.

But...an upgrade to the runtime may provide some kind of a cushion and allow those with (are we now calling them) legacy devices to keep some if limited Android app functionality.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport Red Edition
    needqwerty likes this.
    10-02-15 02:08 AM
    Only app-zombies who see there's an app gap. Average user would say he is missing an app or two as there's always alternatives either apk or older working version apk or mobile site.

Personally, I find BBW covering all my essential needs. Snap compliments my needs with couple of games and one banking app, beside Facebook apk until BlackBerry fixes their Facebook app
    10-02-15 02:17 AM
    Answer: "Big enough for BlackBerry to produce Android handset in spite of the fact the BB10 OS is way more better than Android."

Posted via CB10
    Because the market is stupid imo
    10-02-15 02:18 AM
    The uber app doesn't work for me, I don't have any issues with the rest but I would have preferred if viber for example was a BB app so that it would integrate with the hub

Posted via CB10
    10-02-15 04:53 AM
    I have been dual wielding a BB and Android phone for the last 4 years (9900 & Galaxy S2, Z10 & Nexus 4, Z30 & Nexus 5, Z30 & OnePlus One) mainly because of the app gap (though admittedly, it comes in handy having a spare phone).

I'd say about 80% of the apps I had on my Android phone were covered on my BB and my BB would be my daily device. Notable exceptions were a fully functioning Google Maps, Hangouts (for the free phone calls, not for IM), and maybe a few apps here and there.

With the Passport SE I finally decided to try the modified Google Play apps using Cobalt's method (before I would use Snap and Amazon), and that allowed me pretty much all the apps I would use on my Android device. I think the only ones I can't still use are Hangouts (again, just for the free phone calls) and maybe Canon's photo app that allows you to use your phone for GPS data to sync to your camera (could never get that to work on my BB).

So that means, for me at least, I'm about 95% covered with my Passport. It's for that reason I haven't had an Android phone for the last two months since I can make do with what I am missing.

I may still pick up a cheap Android phone as a backup which I could use for those times I need an app but even that is tough since it would need to use a nano-SIM and I can't find any so far (Moto G uses micro-SIM).

Still, if BB can bring all or most of the strengths of BB hardware (which should be a given) and BB10 software (and a lot of it should be able to) over to Android then I'd consider the Priv and be permanently back to one phone for good.
    CSV11 likes this.
    10-02-15 06:39 AM
    Depends on if you just die without snapchat or not. I have maybe 4 android apps on m phone and I rarely use those.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-15 06:57 AM
    There is a huge app gap and I'm not even a big user of apps.
    A few apps that I used previously won't work on my BlackBerry because it relies on Google Play Services.
    Sure, one of the apps I can use the browser version, but it's much harder to use than using the app.
    10-02-15 07:24 AM
    There is a huge app gap and I'm not even a big user of apps.
    A few apps that I used previously won't work on my BlackBerry because it relies on Google Play Services.
    Sure, one of the apps I can use the browser version, but it's much harder to use than using the app.
    I would also add that some of the BBW client Android apps do not work as well as the real thing. Most of my Android apps work well but in some cases the mobile website is better.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-15 07:29 AM
    Depends on if you're a crackberrian or any other person on the planet. For any other person on the planet it is so big they laugh at BlackBerry. Also the apps that are here are laughable to them also as they lack when compared to others. How many CB'ers also complain about how the BB apps lack and don't do this or that? How many threads?

Sure you can workaround this and that, install the play store that some apps work, some don't, some you can do more workarounds but for every other person on the planet that isn't what they want to do. They want to have it install and use it without all of that.

So the answer is perhaps..............depends on who you are and if you're in the there is no gap you're in the minority as seen in BB sales.
    DINGSTER1, Uzi, JRF_1986 and 4 others like this.
    10-02-15 07:35 AM
    Honestly, I've know a lot of professionals that are not really into 'apps' but still don't use BlackBerry devices...

Posted via CB10
    10-02-15 08:24 AM
    I care more about security than apps.

To me, there is no gap.

Via my Z30 on the Telus network
    10-02-15 08:27 AM
    Having everything I NEED isn't really a problem although when hanging out with friends with Androids or iPhones it becomes really obvious all the apps they have access too (and that work flawlessly) compared to what I have available to me on my Passport. Doesn't really bother me, it's not typically what I use my phone for but sometimes it does make me look at it and wish that it did more...

Posted via CB10
    andy957 likes this.
    10-02-15 08:28 AM
    Depends on if you're a crackberrian or any other person on the planet. For any other person on the planet it is so big they laugh at BlackBerry. Also the apps that are here are laughable to them also as they lack when compared to others. How many CB'ers also complain about how the BB apps lack and don't do this or that? How many threads?

Sure you can workaround this and that, install the play store that some apps work, some don't, some you can do more workarounds but for every other person on the planet that isn't what they want to do. They want to have it install and use it without all of that.

So the answer is perhaps..............depends on who you are and if you're in the there is no gap you're in the minority as seen in BB sales.
    I vote for best answer!
    kbz1960 and Techno-guy like this.
    10-02-15 08:33 AM
    Honestly, I've know a lot of professionals that are not really into 'apps' but still don't use BlackBerry devices...
    Ya, but we all know by now that apps are one of the many reasons BlackBerry has suffered over the years, another being the constant backlash and putdown from tech media. You can have all the apps in the world, but when many of the tech sights say that BlackBerry is stuck in the past, the OS sucks, etc, etc, etc, what do you think's going to happen?

Doesn't really bother me, it's not typically what I use my phone for but sometimes it does make me look at it and wish that it did more...
    Like what, exactly?
    10-02-15 08:34 AM
213 123 ...