I have a Curve user (OS 4.5.0.81) who has complained that his device has been spontaneously shutting off while he is on the phone. Has anyone else had this happen? If so, how did you solve the problem? Is it battery related? Software?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
    11-26-08 02:57 PM
    The short answer is that nobody has any $%*!@# idea why this happens.

I am on my 4th curve looking for one that does not do this.

#4 rebooted during a call last week, which is the only time it has done this (3 weeks old). Curve number 3 does it more often, but sporadically. It might run flawlessly for a week or better and then reboot three times in one day.

I have tried every software and hardware suggestion that I can find and nothing helps.

After last friday, when #4 booted while I was talking to my wife, I call T-mobile and demanded to speak to someone at RIM. They transferred me and a very nice, albeit hard to understand, agent discussed it with me. He was unable to suggest anything that I had not already tried. So, he asked me to put my event log in debug mode and to download and email the log to him next time it happens. I did this for both phones. #3 crashed a couple days later and I sent the log as directed. I got an acknowledgement, but, so far, nothing else. That was earlier this week.
    11-26-08 03:29 PM
    This would happen to me the very first days I got it. I thought it was me using the phone too much. Now, it doesn't do that often. It does here&there when I'm on the web.
    I've searched but no answer
    Maybe someone else can help!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-26-08 04:05 PM
    I don't know if it's related but mine shuts off the radio randomly.
    11-26-08 04:46 PM
    I have T-Mobile and after I upgraded my OS to 4.5...my phone would only stay on if it was connected to the computer via usb
    I downloaded my OS upgrade directly from the t-Mobile site so I don't know whats going on with it
    I thought I was the only one having this issue because T-Mobile didn't seem to know what I was talking about
    11-26-08 05:55 PM
    Mine's done it about three times in two months with 4.3 and 4.5. It's not the software unless they copied some of the code when they wrote 4.5.

Its really irritating as mine is supplied by work and I work in a feild where a dropped call is just not really acceptable.
    11-26-08 06:11 PM
    The maddening thing about it, and the reason that I stopped talking to T-Mobile, is that with the 2 dozen odd times I called them, I would speak with someone who swore that I was the only one in the history of the world who had ever had this problem and that there was absolutely nothing in the database of complaints remotely like this. Then, I would call again and the rep would tell me it was a known problem that they were working on. Then back to the first answer on the next call.

I have covered this in other postings, but I have tried literally every software and hardware tweak imaginable. My only hope is that the RIM people come up with a new course of action.
    11-26-08 08:32 PM
    I'm really beginning to hate my curve! You guys got it easy. Mine shuts off in seconds if its not plugged in. If its not plugged in it wont even reboot fully then shuts off. Battery meters reads fine. I am so screwed!
    11-30-08 06:48 PM
    Go to a tmobile store and see if you can change the battery that could be the problem.

11-30-08 07:21 PM
    Got my new battery and BOOM fixed. Three weeks running strong. So far so good!

01-10-09 04:47 PM
    Got my new battery and BOOM fixed. Three weeks running strong. So far so good!

hey guys and girls

I seem to be having the same problem.. I have used countless GSM blackberry Curves. Never encountered any problems before..

Can anyone vouch and confirm that its just the battery that needs to be changed? My curve seems to shut off when in use (ie. in a call or text message)
    01-24-09 05:19 PM
    hey guys and girls

I seem to be having the same problem.. I have used countless GSM blackberry Curves. Never encountered any problems before..

Can anyone vouch and confirm that its just the battery that needs to be changed? My curve seems to shut off when in use (ie. in a call or text message)
    I can confirm that it worked for me. I never would have thought it was the problem but it was. My battery meter and percentage in the status menu were reading fine. So there was no real warning or explanation. I guess it was just starting to get weak. Its funny because the one year warranty just had run out too. How IRONIC!! All is good now though. Battery under $10 on ebay.
    02-07-09 10:00 PM
    BATTERY CHANGE

This happened to me exactly at the begining of January. I freaked and tried everything, wiped it clean, rebooted different OS's and then gave up, switched to an old pearl which i hated, finailly I called BB to have it serviced when a guy told me to just try and switch the battery. Went to ebay and found the cheapest OEM battery I could fine ($6.95). got it a week later, it says it's OEM but wasn't exactly the same, but anyway, that was about 2 weeks ago. My phone has worked perfect since and for only $6.95

so change out your battery...
    02-08-09 02:09 PM
    If changing the battery doesn't fix it, try a new SIM card...they go bad too.

Hth,

e.n.
    02-08-09 03:44 PM
    I thought I was to only one with this problem, mine does the same thing. I bought a new battery and still it's rebooting.
    02-09-09 05:46 PM
    I thought I was to only one with this problem, mine does the same thing. I bought a new battery and still it's rebooting.
    Sorry to hear that, it worked for me, good luck

02-09-09 06:31 PM
    i was having the same problem.. shutting off when the battery is full. i took out my memory card, but it was still shutting down. it would only turn on if i plug it the charger.

i received a replacement phone thinking it might be the phone itself, but it's not. when i took the sim card out of my original phone, place the battery back in (without the sim card), the phone would stay on without the charger plugged in. i did the same thing with the replacement phone (put in battery without sim card) & it stayed on. so it has to be the darn sim card which tmobile is going to replace for me.

oh yeah by the way, the battery i used were new and old & both worked fine on both phones when the sim card wasn't in place.
    04-22-09 08:11 PM
    I haven't had any problems like this yet (but it does like to drop calls on me) *knock on wood* but my first thought would be its the battery.

04-23-09 05:32 AM
    i was having the same problem.. shutting off when the battery is full. i took out my memory card, but it was still shutting down. it would only turn on if i plug it the charger.

i received a replacement phone thinking it might be the phone itself, but it's not. when i took the sim card out of my original phone, place the battery back in (without the sim card), the phone would stay on without the charger plugged in. i did the same thing with the replacement phone (put in battery without sim card) & it stayed on. so it has to be the darn sim card which tmobile is going to replace for me.

oh yeah by the way, the battery i used were new and old & both worked fine on both phones when the sim card wasn't in place.
    I haven't had any problems like this yet (but it does like to drop calls on me) *knock on wood* but my first thought would be its the battery.

I think it's the battery as well. The reason why it doesn't have problems without the SIM card installed is the phone can't use the radio transmitter/receiver without the SIM card, which places the drain on the battery and causes the phone to shutdown.
    04-23-09 06:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD