not sure who 'Rapid John' is, but this is the article that he posted (and who was quoted by Dhabkirk on his BBM channel)
    BlackBerry Android Phone will let you choose your OS of choice | Rapid Mobile
    interesting and a game changer if true.
    Last edited by TX Jedi; 08-28-15 at 12:05 PM.
    08-28-15 11:55 AM
    To avoid confusion, this is not the same as the dual OS speculated about in another thread.
    From the article:

"When you buy the new Android smartphone, you will get the choice of which operating system (OS) that you wish to install on the device, BlackBerry 10 or Android Lollipop"...

"There is no OS pre-installed! What is installed is a simple loader which allows you to select your OS of choice and installs that OS from (presumably) BlackBerry’s servers. I use the word simple because at the point in time where the OS starts installing on the smartphone, it’s really no different from doing a complete OS upgrade or installation that we are all used to.

There is no switching OS’s and no dual booting – it’s simple BlackBerry 10 or Android installed on the smartphone. One or the other!

However, if you wish to try another OS, you can do so by simply resetting your device in the normal fashion and you will once again have the option of which OS to install."
    08-28-15 12:03 PM
    Oh well. Keep 'em coming.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-15 12:12 PM
    I actually like this option over the others that I have been hearing about. I want to keep working with BB10, I like having the Android Runtime on my BB10 device. I think it is an awesome idea from BB. Thank you for sharing OP!
    08-28-15 12:21 PM
    Due to the fact that there is only one OS installed on the phone at any one time, BlackBerry are still free to include the Android runtime with the BlackBerry 10 OS but with the same restrictions like no Google Services, etc.
    say what now?

Who comes up with this stuff?
    08-28-15 12:22 PM
    One question tho,
    1. Would the Android device have the BB Email Hub?
    08-28-15 12:22 PM
    I am willing to bet that if this is the option that BB goes for, carrier demo versions will ALL be with Android on display.
    user5240 likes this.
    08-28-15 12:30 PM
    I am willing to bet that if this is the option that BB goes for, carrier demo versions will ALL be with Android on display.
    No doubt lol

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    08-28-15 12:36 PM
    So what will be the biggest difference between both OS? Will we still be able to run android apps on BB10? Hopefully the BB10 version comes with 10.3.3.xxxx
    08-28-15 12:42 PM
    I hope this is true.

The slider looks cool but I don't want Android, even if it has the Hub.

I want BlackBerry 10 and everything I've come to love over the last two years.

No amount of pretty hardware can get me to want an Android device.
    08-28-15 12:43 PM
    I find it doubtful that carriers would go along with this. Users getting a choice at initial boot might not know what to do, being presented a semi-permanent choice without any idea what either would entail. Plus, they'd need to wait for the download to happen (which could be multiple GBs of data) and then have it install. Not user friendly at all.
    08-28-15 12:45 PM
    You mean carrier versions [period].

In any case this sounds like a ridiculous solution. To expect a user to download an OS when they first turn it on, requiring both time and substantial data expense? And which carrier would ever agree to support an unknown mix of either BlackBerry Android or BB10?

Sounds like a pipe dream logistical nightmare.

Posted via CB10
    I find it doubtful that carriers would go along with this. Users getting a choice at initial boot might not know what to do, being presented a semi-permanent choice without any idea what either would entail. Plus, they'd need to wait for the download to happen (which could be multiple GBs of data) and then have it install. Not user friendly at all.
    Exactly... Beat me to it...

Posted via CB10
    Did anyone really think that Venice would dual boot?
    08-28-15 12:49 PM
    this sounds like the worst idea ever....do they have anyone left at BB with half a brain? I know this is purely a rumor but sounds ridiculous.
    08-28-15 12:50 PM
    Exactly... Beat me to it...

Posted via CB10
    Absolutely no carrier would touch it (leaving aside google would never allow it - partly because we know much of the google play revenues are spending on co-funded advertising) for those reasons.
    08-28-15 12:53 PM
    So, if you have no wireless available at the moment when you setup your phone, you are screwed? My hunch is that carrier versions will have an OS preinstalled (most likely Android), but unlocked versions will come with no os preinstalled.
    08-28-15 01:02 PM
    If the they go with this, and that's a big IF, it wouldn't be a big of a problem for non techie users, the reason being ( my own speculation here) that carriers might chose to ask BlackBerry to sell android only version via carrier channels and you get the choose your OS option in devices sold trough ShopBlackBerry for the more techie folks like us.

Think about it, is not like if BlackBerry could say NO to any carrier condition at this point in time.

But then again anything is possible with BlackBerry lol.
    08-28-15 01:02 PM
    If true, this is really the best option. I was actually hoping for something like this - being able to load either OS through Link or software reload options. I'm pretty sure I'm sticking with BB10 but I would definitely take a look at an Android BlackBerry if that didn't mean giving up BB10.
    08-28-15 01:06 PM
    All these fantasy scenarios all have the same weird premise underpinning them - Google changes its highly successful business model to accommodate a company who sell less than 800,000 devices a quarter and falling...
    08-28-15 01:16 PM
    this sounds like the worst idea ever....do they have anyone left at BB with half a brain? I know this is purely a rumor but sounds ridiculous.
    Respectfully disagree--IMHO this is the most elegant solution to the problem of keeping BB10 (in some form) and trying to move product to the masses using the most widely used OS that is Android. It may very well be that the devices will SHIP with android BUT immediately upon first power-up the end user is offered the choice to download and install BB10 with a warning to do so thru a wifi connection. Either way, pre-loaded with android, or the offer of either OS at first boot-up is much more cost effective than offering 2 separate platforms on 4 devices (black and white). I like it.
    08-28-15 01:18 PM
    I think this way is not a bad idea. Just let the OSs sit in the server and let consumer chose their own. I think it is smart to me.
    08-28-15 01:26 PM
    Well BlackBerry hasn't been known for user friendly in recent years. Take the whole android apps business, patching, sideloading etc.
    Can't imagine too many (dumb) iPhone users were able to handle that.

Q10 on 10.3.2.2204
    extisis likes this.
    08-28-15 01:31 PM
    Well BlackBerry hasn't been known for user friendly in recent years. Take the whole android apps business, patching, sideloading etc.
    Can't imagine too many (dumb) iPhone users were able to handle that.

Q10 on 10.3.2.2204
    I haven't been needing to side load since 10.2.1... and BlackBerry never advocated for us to go out and install Google Play store. It just so happens that a guy named Cobalt did us a favor...

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    light_barer and DarkJoker33 like this.
    08-28-15 01:37 PM
    I can't see this being true. Biggest reason is that a lot people go into their carrier store to get a new device and expect it to be set up (ie: Sim put in etc) before they leave. Pretty sure carriers won't want people standing in line to pick an OS and then wait for it to download and install before activating their device. There is no way this would fly. Just more rumor mongering.

Posted via CB10
    howarmat and jelp2 like this.
    08-28-15 01:45 PM
176 123 ...