Ok i posted yesterday, letting people know that there call logs and sms logs were readable by their bosses if they use corporate email. what i didnt realize at the time is that all web browsing actually goes through the company servers and inet connection! basically it uses your work as a proxy.

but the reason i am posting this is i want to know if i can turn that off? i assume if i am the bes admin, i can do it, i just dont now how. i have massive number of sites blocked at work, but dont want them blocked on my phone...

any bes admin (or user who knows how to do it from the handset) let me know? thanks!
    11-26-08 01:32 PM
    I actually think it's something that can not be turned off -- it's a "security feature" AFAIK.
    11-26-08 01:43 PM
    if you go to options, advanced options, browser.

change the option from BlackBerry Browser to Internet Browser.

this should use internet from the carrier.
    11-26-08 01:44 PM
    this would be awesome, if that works. i will try.

unfortunately, if this can not be turned off (even though i am the bes admin), it would be a deal breaker for the entire blackberry platform for me. i must have corporate email and i must have unrestricted internet. plus its slow as **** going through my companies internet connection, their connection is heavily used.
    11-26-08 07:33 PM

FYI, BES admins can turn off the ability to use the Internet Browser, so just be sure that you can use that feature.
    11-26-08 07:41 PM
    this would be awesome, if that works. i will try.

unfortunately, if this can not be turned off (even though i am the bes admin), it would be a deal breaker for the entire blackberry platform for me. i must have corporate email and i must have unrestricted internet. plus its slow as **** going through my companies internet connection, their connection is heavily used.
    The above frustration is exactly why I did NOT got thru BES, and pay the $45. I got the $30 data plan and use Redirector on my Outlook desktop. It seems to work great. I get work email almost instantly and when I respond from BB, it says "Sent from Storm" (you control this message on RIM website). When I get to work and plug USB cable in; it recharges battery and syncs. This keeps both Outlook and my device updated. Now I can surf and do anything/everything without any company involvement. I feel much better this way.

HTH, Tom
    11-26-08 07:45 PM
    Awesome Prietocwb. That worked. I am the network admin and we block facebook at work. I was debating how to do a workaround but that worked perfectly. it now allowed me right in.
    11-26-08 08:26 PM
    Being a BES admin why the **** would you be surfing questionable material with your work blackberry? Joining the BES makes your life so much easier. And it doesn't sound like your admin is a ***** otherwise you would be complaining about a lot worse
    11-26-08 09:29 PM
    random thought from an admitted newbie...i didn't know about this until reading this forum. just switched to "internet browser," and the web seems markedly faster!
    11-26-08 09:37 PM
    You can test this by going to network dash tools dot com (I can't post a URL because I don't have enough posts yet). The default tool selected is "Trace". Hit the submit button and it will do a traceroute from you to them.

An IP address in my employer's address range shows up in that trace.

Also, even though I went to Options->General Properties and changed my default browser to "Internet Browser", saved, then went to Options->Browser Configuration and changed browser to "Internet Browser", and saved, once I loaded a page it changed itself back to "BlackBerry Browser" !

I tried Opera Mini, but Opera Mini uses some kind of reprocessing server of their own, so I just get a trace from there. I suspect it's still going through my employer to get to Opera Mini's server.

Looks like Big Brother is watching...
    11-26-08 10:27 PM
    Actualy i've just tried my browser set on both Internet Brower and BlackBerry and neither trace goes through my work IP.

So it must be a BES setting.
    11-26-08 10:37 PM

This worked perfectly! thanks so much, it would have sucked if i had to go back to window mobile because of this!
    11-27-08 01:24 AM
    Being a BES admin why the **** would you be surfing questionable material with your work blackberry? Joining the BES makes your life so much easier. And it doesn't sound like your admin is a ***** otherwise you would be complaining about a lot worse
    umm first of all, i am the admin. second of all, its not my work blackberry, its mine. 3rd of all, facebook, myspace and youtube are hardly questionable material, but all blocked at my work.
    11-27-08 01:34 AM
    The above frustration is exactly why I did NOT got thru BES, and pay the $45. I got the $30 data plan and use Redirector on my Outlook desktop. It seems to work great. I get work email almost instantly and when I respond from BB, it says "Sent from Storm" (you control this message on RIM website). When I get to work and plug USB cable in; it recharges battery and syncs. This keeps both Outlook and my device updated. Now I can surf and do anything/everything without any company involvement. I feel much better this way.

HTH, Tom
    i pay the same as everyone else to use BES. is bes supposed to cost more?
    11-27-08 01:36 AM
    I tried Opera Mini, but Opera Mini uses some kind of reprocessing server of their own, so I just get a trace from there. I suspect it's still going through my employer to get to Opera Mini's server.

Actually Opera has the ability to use SOCKS, which is actually the TCP connection from the phone to the carrier and then out to Opera's Proxy servers. That bypasses BES and BIS completely. This is why when RIM has a Blackberry outage you can still use Opera to browse the web.
    11-27-08 01:36 AM
    You can test this by going to network dash tools dot com (I can't post a URL because I don't have enough posts yet). The default tool selected is "Trace". Hit the submit button and it will do a traceroute from you to them.

An IP address in my employer's address range shows up in that trace.

Also, even though I went to Options->General Properties and changed my default browser to "Internet Browser", saved, then went to Options->Browser Configuration and changed browser to "Internet Browser", and saved, once I loaded a page it changed itself back to "BlackBerry Browser" !

if you are not the bes admin at your work, its possible they disabled you the ability to go around their server. they may have forced you to through their server using it policies.

i changed it and it appears to work fine now. before mysapce and facebook were blocked, and now they arent.

opera mini should allow you to get around it completely since you are using opera mini as a proxy, unless your work decided to block opera mini's servers.
    11-27-08 01:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD