So I'm confused reading on here... some say the double type thing is the keyboard itself failing and some say it was caused by the 10.3 upgrade... I never had an issue myself until I upgraded so I don't know if it was the 10.3 upgrade or coincidentally my keyboard failing soon after the upgrade... if it's hardware, I have no issue having my company replacing my Q10 with another Q10... if it's the software, then I'm going to be very disappointed...

Posted via CB10
    08-22-15 11:49 AM
    I had a Q10 that progressively started double-typing after about 6 months' use until it was impossible to manage. I purchased a replacement keyboard on eBay, and the issue stopped and reappeared after about 3 months' use. This single experience would lead me to think that it's a hardware issue.
    I upgraded to a Passport and have encountered some double typing that may be due to pressing too hard.
    I've pulled out my Bold 9900 from retirement and am profiting once again from a precise and signficantly rapid typing experience.
    Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    08-22-15 01:17 PM
    It has to be hardware, there's too much anecdotal evidence to suggest otherwise (just search these CB Q10 forums).

The DT's have arisen on different Q10s regardless of the BB10 version being used, e.g. 10.2-10.3.x.
    If it was a software problem the occurrence of DT would likely be much more consistent across multiple users Q10s; it hasn't been. Some (like myself) have had the problem arise after differing lengths of time. Others have experienced trouble-free, accurate typing with their Q10s since day 1 of ownership.

- Changes in hardware can rectify the fault -
    Some people experiencing DTs have rectified the problem by swapping in a new Q10 keyboard, at least until that new one also starts playing up.
    Some have dismantled their dysfunctional keyboard and found misaligned pressure pads - and there are reports that realigning these can also resolve the problem.

In my opinion, and considering the above, it's the result of poor build quality & QC with Q10 keyboards i.e. hardware fault(s)

--
    Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mushroom_daddy; 08-23-15 at 12:41 PM.
    08-23-15 05:21 AM
    Hardware probably

Posted via CB10
    08-23-15 07:07 AM
    Considering that the fix is either to replace the keyboard, or take the keyboard apart and align the switches, I think it's safe to say that it's a hardware issue.

That said, I've been considering whether this could be a user issue or not. I've experienced dt a grand total of once. I happened to type a bit differently on the keyboard, and I believe that that was the culprit, not the keyboard.

Now, I'm not negating the fact that many experience double typing... I'm just saying that sometimes the user may be the issue.
    bbnrs likes this.
    08-23-15 07:34 AM
    For me, it was definitely hardware. I noticed that I just have to slide my thumb over the letter O and it starts typing. The rest of the keys I have to press before they type. Seems the letter O had become very sensitive. A replacement from Amazon fixed it... so far has lasted two months with no issues. I noticed that I do use the letter O more than the others.
    08-23-15 07:43 AM
    I've used 2 Sprint Q10's same problem after about 3 to 6 months.

But I do have a theory:

When I use my first one, I worked for UPS. It's a dusty environment and after a few months that's when the problem occurred.

Now that I have my new one the problem has started again. But I think that might have something to do with my new dusty environment. Driving a school bus on country roads that are mostly gravel.

The amount of dust that is stirred up is truly amazing. I think it gets in the keys and messes it up. That's where I think my double typing problem started.

Posted via a touchscreen, excuse the typoos.
    08-24-15 09:51 AM
    OP, here's the best way to explain it.

Software can fix the outcome, hardware change WILL fix the symptom.

OS upgrades can make the double typing better, but changing the keyboard will definitely get rid of it.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-15 11:05 AM
    I have the double typing issue and from my experience I definitely think it's a hardware issue...

Posted via CB10
    axllebeer and bbnrs like this.
    08-24-15 12:36 PM
    Hardware on Q10's, had three different Q10's

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.2339
    08-24-15 01:01 PM
    Currently with the latest OS upgrade I am not experiencing a double typing issue with my Q10.

I did have the double typing issue with earlier OS releases in particular with the letter "i."

In my case it appears to be a software issue as I have not replaced my keyboard.

Bob

Posted via CB 10>Q10-SQN100-5/10.3.2.2339>Z10-STL100-3/10.3.2.2339 On AT&T
    08-25-15 09:46 AM
    Is your double typing issue gone after the latest OS?

Posted via Classic
    08-29-15 08:27 PM
    Having pulled apart a double-typing Q10 keyboard and reassembled it with discs (one part of the key switches) from a Bold 9900, I can tell you that in my case, the discs were visibly misaligned, and the rebuild fixed the problem. I took some pics for this thread, as did others: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ly-too-954608/

I have no doubt, however, that software can both impact and address the problem. Someone in one of these threads explained how you can "debounce" a switch through software. Google it. It makes complete sense that you can overcome the mechanical error through software filtering of multiple inputs.
    08-29-15 08:53 PM
    Is your double typing issue gone after the latest OS?

Posted via Classic
    If this question is directed to me my answer is...Yes.

I was experiencing double typing with previous releases of the OS but I haven't had any double typing issues with the latest one.

In addition, I'm not experiencing the random re-boots either. My Q10 would randomly re-boot while simply sitting on my desk. I know some have attributed the re-boots to a loose battery connection but random re-boots while simply sitting on my desk would not indicate a loose battery in my opinion.

The latest update appears in my case to have corrected both issues.

Bob

Posted via CB 10>Q10-SQN100-5/10.3.2.2339>Z10-STL100-3/10.3.2.2339 On AT&T
    08-30-15 10:58 AM
    In my experience, definitely hardware.

As soon as I replace the keyboard on the Q in question, problem is fixed until another occurrence months down the road. As I do not have the time to take apart and realign the switches, I simply purchase some spare keyboards to keep on hand. One day, perhaps this winter, I will take the time as a project to realign the switches.
    08-30-15 07:21 PM
    In my experience, definitely hardware.

As soon as I replace the keyboard on the Q in question, problem is fixed until another occurrence months down the road. As I do not have the time to take apart and realign the switches, I simply purchase some spare keyboards to keep on hand. One day, perhaps this winter, I will take the time as a project to realign the switches.
    Man, to regularly replace your keyboard that's a lot of dedication to the Q10. I'm really amazed.

Posted from my Q10 via the power of "Q"
    08-30-15 08:11 PM
    Man, to regularly replace your keyboard that's a lot of dedication to the Q10. I'm really amazed.

Posted from my Q10 via the power of "Q"
    Well, it is neither difficult nor time consuming.

And the Q is just simply the best tool for me: great combination of tech and size. Love the 10.2 OS.
    axllebeer likes this.
    08-30-15 09:11 PM
    It is both hardware and software. The software interacts with the hardware. Software can probably be tweaked to reduce the occurrence but sometimes the keyboard is too off the tolerances required. Think of Dancing of the stars. Both dancers have to be in sync.

Posted via CB10
    IFCArea51 likes this.
    08-30-15 09:31 PM
    It is both hardware and software. The software interacts with the hardware. Software can probably be tweaked to reduce the occurrence but sometimes the keyboard is too off the tolerances required. Think of Dancing of the stars. Both dancers have to be in sync.

Posted via CB10
    The only reason to tweak the software that I see to fix the double typing issue is the fix the hard wear problem.

To fix a hard wear problem with software never ends up well on the user end.

08-30-15 09:34 PM
    It is a hardware problem. The physical keys get stuck, dusty, lose, over-reacting...
    But a software solution can fix it: a line in a procedure/sub-command in the OS can be programmed as this:

(algorythm)
    If the second character is typed, and if the time interval between both is less than 0,001 second, the delete the second character.

This assumes, that the user typing deliberately is slower than that (1000 char in a second is hard to make) :-P

Now, find a programmer/developer, who can integrate this line in the hardware sub routine part of the keyboard driver in the main OS!

Difficult? But sure, not impossible!
    (edited)

Workhorse: BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.2.2.1531; Power Workhorse: BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.1.2480; Germany.
    08-30-15 11:26 PM
    It is a hardware problem. The physical keys get stuck, dusty, lose, over-reacting...
    But a software solution can fix it: a line in a procedure/sub-command in the OS can be programmed as this:

(algorythm)
    If the second character is typed, and if the time interval between both is less than 0,001 second, the delete the second character.

This assumes, that the user typing deliberately is slower than that (1000 char in a second is hard to make) :-P

Now, find a programmer/developer, who can integrate this line in the hardware sub routine part of the keyboard driver in the main OS!

Difficult? But sure, not impossible!
    (edited)

Workhorse: BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.2.2.1531; Power Workhorse: BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.1.2480; Germany.
    All keyboards do this, look up debounce, it doesn't just affect bb's keyboards

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 08:19 AM
    What si double type like? Would you mind explain and screenshot?

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 08:30 AM
    Love the 10.2 OS.
    Then you would love 10.3 even more and should load it up. 👍

08-31-15 09:07 AM
    Then you would love 10.3 even more and should load it up. ��

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately, as I wrote elsewhere, it just didn't work for me. In addition to all the early issues, and the calendar, there is also the UI not suited for the smaller screen of the Q. Also, the washed out colours, use of reduced fonts on certain backgrounds just make it hard to read for those of us on the cusp of needing reading glasses. When 10.3 was installed, needed glasses. When 10.2 installed, not so much.

It is similar to Yosemite on the Mac: Had Apple downgrade the laptops to 10.9, Mavericks. Interesting, old and young all commented on the change for the better. According to the Genius team that assisted, Apple has had many complaints and is tweaking and introducing a new font to make more legible. I can only hope BB does the same . . . Then happy to upgrade.
    08-31-15 07:10 PM
    Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately, as I wrote elsewhere, it just didn't work for me. In addition to all the early issues, and the calendar, there is also the UI not suited for the smaller screen of the Q. Also, the washed out colours, use of reduced fonts on certain backgrounds just make it hard to read for those of us on the cusp of needing reading glasses. When 10.3 was installed, needed glasses. When 10.2 installed, not so much.

It is similar to Yosemite on the Mac: Had Apple downgrade the laptops to 10.9, Mavericks. Interesting, old and young all commented on the change for the better. According to the Genius team that assisted, Apple has had many complaints and is tweaking and introducing a new font to make more legible. I can only hope BB does the same . . . Then happy to upgrade.
    Look, friend, I have the Passport and experienced the 10.3.1 OS... Believe me, I am convinced to keep my Q10 on 10.2. by all means, even if the community updates... I won't mess the things up! I am ready to buy a classic to experiment with OS and leaks, however not on my Q10... my faithfullest phone!!

BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.2.2.1531; BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.1.2480
    09-01-15 02:33 AM
27 12