Hi all,

I checked my Gmail and to my surprise there were about 50 email thread in the garbage. I realized my BlackBerry was actually deleting on "delete" instead of archiving like it has done since day one.

Has something changed? I didn't change any settings, let's put it that way.

Thanks.

-STV on Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    08-18-15 10:12 AM
    Did you select always delete on hub and server instead of delete in hub only?
    08-18-15 06:06 PM
    Been that way since the start.

Also, I'm hearing someone else experiencing this glitch that has tried experimenting with disabling auto-expunge to no avail.

At this point it sounds like a BlackBerry bug and with the silence of Clewely lately, I fear I'm screwed. Looks like I might be popping my SIM back in my Nexus 5 sooner than I originally anticipated.

-STV on Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    08-18-15 08:46 PM
    I think I've actually been experiencing this problem, as well. I have a couple of Gmail email accounts on my phone. One of them archives when I delete, and the other seems to put in trash. Gonna put some time tomorrow trying to figure this out...

Posted via CB10
    08-18-15 11:25 PM
    Let me know what you find.

Once again for me toggling auto-expunge didn't help, so I'm going to revert back to how it's been since day one when it worked - on.

-STV on Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    08-20-15 01:39 AM
    How are more people not complaining of this terrible bug that could lead to data loss essentially??

Seriously, public service announcement: if you use Gmail, check your trash!

--STV falling from grace with his Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    pharmajay#CB likes this.
    08-20-15 02:14 AM
    I can't seem to find a solution - anyone know something that I don't?

My settings are:

- IMAP enabled
    - Auto-Expunge on
    - Archive the message
    09-01-15 03:38 PM
    I can't seem to find a solution - anyone know something that I don't?

My settings are:

- IMAP enabled
    - Auto-Expunge on
    - Archive the message
    I filed a case w/ BB tech support. So far no response.

--STV posting from his now-legacy, relic BlackBerry Z30
    09-01-15 09:17 PM
    The reason you don't see more complaints is because I actually like it to be deleted. Select and move to folder All Mail if you need it archived.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-15 07:44 AM
    The reason you don't see more complaints is because I actually like it to be deleted. Select and move to folder All Mail if you need it archived.

Posted via CB10
    I don't see that as a viable solution.

Actually, what would be good is if All Mail was an option in the account settings they added to customize where trash goes, where sent goes, etc. Unfortunately, it isn't listed there.

09-02-15 07:47 PM
    Actually, All Mail isn't made available to the Hub for whatever reason.

Therefore the real reason there aren't many complaints is because people haven't looked in their Gmail webmail trash and gasped yet, or tried to search for an email you know was archived...so you thought.

09-02-15 07:49 PM
    Somehow, I doubt that no one else is complaining about it because your preference is to have them be deleted haha. It used to work, and now it doesn't - that's a problem.

I filed a case w/ BB tech support. So far no response.

Thanks - I look forward to finding out how to fix this. Keep us posted!
    09-03-15 06:25 PM
    See my new thread. It's bad news.

09-03-15 06:47 PM
    Actually, All Mail isn't made available to the Hub for whatever reason.

Therefore the real reason there aren't many complaints is because people haven't looked in their Gmail webmail trash and gasped yet, or tried to search for an email you know was archived...so you thought.

Actually there is a very good reason. The Hub uses the folder metaphor, Google uses labels as you know. IMAP or AS access to GMAIL maps labels to folders. Since all mail isn't a label (breaking the metaphor) it doesn't map to a folder. If you want to use Google's label metaphor you should really be using Google tools.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.2.2252 SR 10.3.2.2168
    09-03-15 10:36 PM
    Hub deleting Gmails instead of archiving per usual-img_20150904_020044.png

Golly!

Posted via CB10
    09-04-15 01:01 AM
    Actually there is a very good reason. The Hub uses the folder metaphor, Google uses labels as you know. IMAP or AS access to GMAIL maps labels to folders. Since all mail isn't a label (breaking the metaphor) it doesn't map to a folder. If you want to use Google's label metaphor you should really be using Google tools.

BlackBerry has two choices:

Take the blue pill and incorrectly and stupidly assume all are happy with this silent change (again most don't even know and will be shocked to see emails gone in Gmail since it was archiving since BlackBerry 10 was released).

Take the red pill and support the most popular webmail service fully, especially since they seem to be fully embracing Android.

One of those two choices has a future, and one of them does not.

Continue to make excuses, or code around it. I don't like excuses. I like progress.

09-04-15 02:32 AM
    So which thread is your blue pill and which one the red?

Do we really need two threads started by the same person to debate this?

09-04-15 08:50 AM
    This is so stupid.
    What's the point of 'archiving' your mail? Leave it in the inbox or move it to a folder named 'archive' of your own making.
    Use the delete to delete, or just switch to delete from hub only.

For the time being no one cares because most people delete to delete. I didn't even know there was such a thing as 'archiving' my mail. If anything I wish there were a way to mark as spam, that's more of a priority since it has no workaround.

Unless BlackBerry replaces delete with archive, or adds a new archive button in a new software release, you're screwed. Try to contact BlackBerry's developers, NOT tech support obviously.
    STV0726 likes this.
    09-04-15 12:25 PM
    This is so stupid.
    What's the point of 'archiving' your mail? Leave it in the inbox or move it to a folder named 'archive' of your own making.
    Use the delete to delete, or just switch to delete from hub only.

For the time being no one cares because most people delete to delete. I didn't even know there was such a thing as 'archiving' my mail. If anything I wish there were a way to mark as spam, that's more of a priority since it has no workaround.

Unless BlackBerry replaces delete with archive, or adds a new archive button in a new software release, you're screwed. Try to contact BlackBerry's developers, NOT tech support obviously.
    Glad you suggested that. Even Clewely, the once very responsive lead dev on Twitter, is now silent and not talking about BlackBerry 10 or responding to issues. Why? BlackBerry 10 is end of life and on support patches only. Windows Vista, if you will. Except it's only like a few years old so BlackBerry screwed us all over again.

09-04-15 06:24 PM