New York Times story may be interesting to some, at least those that value privacy.

What's interesting is that while other carriers fought the NSA demands and warrants for cellular and Internet private records , AT&T did so voluntarily within days of the requests.

Curious as to others' opinion on this.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/08/16...ffic.html?_r=0

Posted via CB10
    lift and BCITMike like this.
    08-15-15 02:21 PM
    Worse than Verizon on this. General consensus is Verizon being the worst, not anymore.
    08-15-15 02:29 PM
    There's perks to being NSA's best friend.

Posted via CB10
    rotorwrench and anon(9188202) like this.
    08-15-15 03:06 PM
    There's perks to being NSA's best friend.

Posted via CB10
    So true! Lol

Posted via CB10
    08-15-15 03:07 PM
    Hard to believe that the Electronic Frontier Foundation first filed their class action suit against AT&T for this very thing almost 10 years ago. Harder still to believe that so many Americans are still using AT&T.
    08-16-15 08:57 AM
    Hard to believe that the Electronic Frontier Foundation first filed their class action suit against AT&T for this very thing almost 10 years ago. Harder still to believe that so many Americans are still using AT&T.
    Honestly, all the reports show is that Verizon is much slower than AT&T to implement new technology. I doubt they dragged their feet because of any moral reasons.

I'm not saying AT&T is not the most cooperative, but to think that you can find safe harbor in the other carriers is probably more dangerous than signing up for AT&T.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-15 10:09 AM
    Ignorant consumers distracted by pretty toys and status = "who gives a crap"

And Google should be renamed "the US Department of Google"

Posted via CB10
    rotorwrench, Mr4aces, lift and 2 others like this.
    08-16-15 10:26 AM
    The lack of comments on this post proves my point above.

Posted via CB10
    rotorwrench and lift like this.
    08-17-15 07:50 AM
    This was on the news last night - will be interesting to see if/how anything further (like investigations) develop.

Z10 /3 - 10.3.2.2239/841 - AT&T (posted via CB10)
    08-17-15 10:09 AM
    All major carriers are attached to NSA data centers. You'd have to be terribly naive to think otherwise. It's easier than turning over millions of drives every time a secret indictment is handed out. If you have something you don't want other people to know, or use against you in the future, stick to face-to-face communication, or something less obvious. Just remember, there's little more suspicious than a door that is unexpectedly locked.

Just wait; it's probably going to get funnier soon.
    09-03-15 12:00 PM
    They are all in on it! I'm sick of it. Molon Labe!!

Posted via CB10
    medic22003 likes this.
    09-03-15 11:15 PM
    Surfing Reddit yesterday and came across a link to 'Citizen Four', so I clicked the link and watched it on the new Leap I ordered and am sending back (build quality issue-a gap between the screen and casing). It cast light on some of the points discussed here.

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    09-03-15 11:41 PM
    I was just mentioning this in another thread. Watched Citizen Four and the documentary pretty well damned AT&T and Verizon for almost enjoying screwing their customers.

The only way business's would learn is if people were outraged and left AT&T in a mass exodus. But people don't care or pay attention. Anyone born in the mid 90's or after have just grown up in a country like this. We used to fight countries that had governments like ours.

Wish there was a new land to colonize and try again. Because this country has blown it. Or maybe China or Russia will have a revolution and start from scratch and be the new home of the free.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2339 / T-Mobile USA
    lift likes this.
    09-04-15 01:12 AM
    Yes, Citizenfour is a great eye opener. Everyone should definitely watch it.

The issue is that when the federal government approaches your business and tells you that it needs you to spy on your customers on its behalf, you have two choices : cooperate or close shop. By law you must comply. That's what happens to smaller service providers like Tracphone, Cricket, Boost, Virgin, Metro, Nextel, and others. They're trapped between a rock and a hard place. By law they must accommodate police, NSA, and other government agencies with customer data.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-15 02:47 AM
    There will never be a government, no matter how benevolent, that won't have the citizens under some kind of surveillance. 9/11 was just what the U.S. Government have been looking for to promote a stepped up civilian surveillance under the "for your protection and security " diversion.
    Just days after 9/11 everyone I saw interviewed were willing to give up some privacy and freedoms for additional security.
    Be careful with what you ask for.
    "Homeland Security" sounds like a department a totalitarian government would come up with.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport.
    09-04-15 02:53 AM
    ^ Agree!

Posted via CB10
    09-04-15 10:09 AM
    I was just mentioning this in another thread. Watched Citizen Four and the documentary pretty well damned AT&T and Verizon for almost enjoying screwing their customers.

The only way business's would learn is if people were outraged and left AT&T in a mass exodus. But people don't care or pay attention. Anyone born in the mid 90's or after have just grown up in a country like this. We used to fight countries that had governments like ours.
    Sure... everyone could leave AT&T, and go... where? No one is going to give up their phone - mobile and hardline both - en masse. Because that's what it would take. Every carrier and phone company is tied to the NSA in some way. And, they are all screwing the customers. Phone bills (and internet access, for that matter) could be 1/4 cheaper, and the companies would still make a profit.

Posted via CB10
    raino likes this.
    09-09-15 04:57 PM
    Sure... everyone could leave AT&T, and go... where? No one is going to give up their phone - mobile and hardline both - en masse. Because that's what it would take. Every carrier and phone company is tied to the NSA in some way. And, they are all screwing the customers. Phone bills (and internet access, for that matter) could be 1/4 cheaper, and the companies would still make a profit.

Posted via CB10
    I agree with everything you've said.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2339 / T-Mobile USA
    09-09-15 10:53 PM
    Remember, go too far off the grid, and they'll come and get you.
    09-10-15 12:38 PM
    Remember, go too far off the grid, and they'll come and get you.
    That comment Nearly gave me chills. Lol. I sometimes think too deeply when I hear and read things of this nature. Almost creates a paranoia in a sense.

My Z10 is better than yours!
    10-01-15 06:34 PM
    Thanks for suggesting this "Citizen Four". I will definitely check it out later tonight.

My Z10 is better than yours!
    10-01-15 06:36 PM
    New York Times story may be interesting to some, at least those that value privacy.

What's interesting is that while other carriers fought the NSA demands and warrants for cellular and Internet private records , AT&T did so voluntarily within days of the requests.

Curious as to others' opinion on this.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/08/16...ffic.html?_r=0

Posted via CB10
    Thanks OP for this thread. I just recently left AT&T for T-Mobile and I am now even happier that I did. I know what some of you are going to say: "T-Mobile spies on their customers too". Well until someone can prove that it is as bad as AT&T, then don't bother trying.
    Never going back to Verizon or AT&T again. Really sucks that these companies think that having the technology to spy on their customers gives them the right to just go ahead and do it. What ever happened to a right to some privacy and morals?
    10-17-15 11:45 AM
    Any telecommunications company in the United States must comply with existing legislation and edicts. Just wait and see what happens if (though, likely when) the Trans-Pacific Partnership goes into effect. You thought the DMCA and ACTA were bad?

Certain people would say "if you were moral, you wouldn't need privacy". Personally, I'd like it if people learned how to keep things private, so busybodies wouldn't be legislating against things that they personally find to be distasteful.
    10-21-15 01:01 AM
    I'm moral, the government that spies on its citizens is not. People are sheep, and that comment has nothing to do with in owners. Far too few are willing to wake up and become sheep dogs

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    10-21-15 01:27 AM
    First Verizon with the X-UIDH header (that you STILL need to OPT-OUT of) and now hearing this about AT&T just goes to show how almost the entire country does not know nor care about their privacy. One thing is certain, I will try to avoid ever being an AT&T or Verizon customer again. I'm sure T-Mobile is not perfect, but at least they are better than those 2 disgusting companies. I switched to T-mobile and could not be happier.
    10-21-15 07:56 AM