So I decided a week ago to go back to my Passport after using it every day since launch (love the thing but sometimes I get bored).

Aaand so I got an adapter which worked when I first put it in the z30 however yesterday I switched it back to passport for a minute then back to the z30 and now it won't recognize it!

I'm thinking the Sim card slot is busted. Has anyone had this issue? I know BlackBerry is notorious for it but was surprised to not find any threads when I searched.

Has anyone fixed this issue themselves or sent it to be fixed??

Posted via CB10
    08-02-15 11:57 AM
    I think if you have the sim card in the adapter is is less likely or won't mess it up. I think from what I've read it is inserting/removing the adapter without a sim in it that causes the issue.

Have you tried rebooting or restarting the phone.

There are definitely sim card slot threads and some folks have found cell repair shops can fix them.
    08-02-15 01:27 PM
    Damn man, wish I could have warned you sooner. I try to tell everyone on here that Z30 + SIM adapter = very bad idea.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-15 09:30 PM
    Damn man, wish I could have warned you sooner. I try to tell everyone on here that Z30 + SIM adapter = very bad idea.

Posted via CB10
    I know, I should've been more patient.. think I tried to force it out. That tray is just so fragile. Thanks though for the heads up!

My Tech, Finance Musings + Photography: C0020708C
    08-03-15 07:58 AM
    I think if you have the sim card in the adapter is is less likely or won't mess it up. I think from what I've read it is inserting/removing the adapter without a sim in it that causes the issue.

Have you tried rebooting or restarting the phone.

There are definitely sim card slot threads and some folks have found cell repair shops can fix them.
    I've tried a hard reboot and soft.. then putting the sim card/adapter back in. Still no go.

I never put the adapter in without a Sim card but did sort of force it out once because the sim card wasn't cut well enough to fit perfectly. So I took it out, shaved off a corner then put it back in and it worked better. Tmobile instead of giving me a new nano sim when I got my Passport just cut my micro sim..lazy buggers

08-03-15 08:01 AM
    At this point, either borrow a "regular" sim card from someone for a test in the phone or get another one from your carrier to test.

Good luck.
    08-03-15 09:25 AM
    I've tried a hard reboot and soft.. then putting the sim card/adapter back in. Still no go.

I never put the adapter in without a Sim card but did sort of force it out once because the sim card wasn't cut well enough to fit perfectly. So I took it out, shaved off a corner then put it back in and it worked better. Tmobile instead of giving me a new nano sim when I got my Passport just cut my micro sim..lazy buggers

The way the SIM slot contact pins are arranged in the tray, they can get stuck between an adapter and SIM if there is enough gap and that gap can be very very tiny.
    Think of the contacts as angled directional pins, as long as whatever is being inserted and removed is uniform across it's surface, the pins just slide across the surface.
    But, if there is an edge or gap, the pins will grab and drop into that gap and will get damaged or destroyed if forced out.

Another issue is the "thickness" of the SIM. If the source SIM was ever so slightly thicker when it was trimmed down for a smaller sized tray, but not filed down in thickness, it can damage the pins and tray by "pushing" the pins to far into the retracted position, bending them, so that if a normal thin SIM is then put in, the pins won't make contact.
    austriker likes this.
    08-03-15 10:44 AM
    Yeah, probably zonked. I broke an LG G3 that way and had to send it to the UK to be fixed and even when it came back something else was wrong with it.

These sim adapters can be no good. I had good luck with one but bad luck with most others.

Posted via CB10
    08-03-15 03:45 PM
    Yeah, probably zonked. I broke an LG G3 that way and had to send it to the UK to be fixed and even when it came back something else was wrong with it.

These sim adapters can be no good. I had good luck with one but bad luck with most others.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah. So sad. It's silly that micro sim cards were a thing when they are just a nano Sim with extra plastic around them.

Posted via CB10
    08-03-15 04:13 PM
    Dang. It's officially the dead tray. Tested with my friends Sim card and didn't work even after a reboot.

Super sad, guess it's time to sell it and acquire another one

Posted via CB10
    08-03-15 08:19 PM
    You might wana have a go and fix it, seems doable with tweezers and only a screwdriver. If you remove all the screws on the back it will release the screen and under its full access to the sim tray. Then with tweezers bend the pins back in position.
    youtube.com/watch?v=5OJRLVEwtU8
    08-06-15 09:43 AM
    You might wana have a go and fix it, seems doable with tweezers and only a screwdriver. If you remove all the screws on the back it will release the screen and under its full access to the sim tray. Then with tweezers bend the pins back in position.
    youtube.com/watch?v=5OJRLVEwtU8
    crackberry.com/blackberry-z30-tear-down
    austriker likes this.
    08-06-15 09:44 AM