Hey guys my pp is heating up when I used android apps like pinterest and all..what can be the problem?

Blackberry Passport 10.3.2.2339
    08-02-15 02:54 AM
    I received a new passport 3 days ago and it heats up in the top right corner. You have to remember the frame is metal so conducts heat so you will feel it more than on other devices. I wouldn't worry

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    08-02-15 06:20 AM
    Agree with Paul, I still feel hot evening with running BB native app. However, I believe it helps the internal components to release the heat better than other devices.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-15 06:23 AM
    I don't think that is acceptable for BB. Did they even test this device??

Posted via CB10
    08-02-15 08:04 AM
    To be straight and honest, try and get rid of all android apps and find BlackBerry alternatives. It takes time but can be done. It will increase the battery life and keep RAM free. I am down to just two apps left, Google Maps and Waze. I think I will keep Waze though.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-15 08:53 AM

Posted via CB10
    Unacceptable?

Every phone made heats up to an extent. And the degree of processing use determines the amount of heat.

Passport really isn't bad at all. And actually very acceptable with phone experiences from other makers.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" from Adam Savage
    08-02-15 10:20 AM
    My old Galaxy S4 heated up so much it shrunk the screen protector I had on it lol. How's that for heat?

Posted via CB10
    08-02-15 02:09 PM

Posted via CB10
    Physics! Unacceptable!

Posted via CB10 // Passport SQW100-1 // 10.3.2.2339 // Cricket Wireless
    08-02-15 02:52 PM
    Unacceptable?

Every phone made heats up to an extent. And the degree of processing use determines the amount of heat.

Passport really isn't bad at all. And actually very acceptable with phone experiences from other makers.

Not that bad? You can get burned if holding your hand for too long

Posted via CB10
    08-02-15 03:31 PM

Posted via CB10
    Well then you must have a defective unit. No amount of android apps do that to mine.
    08-02-15 04:26 PM

Posted via CB10
    Then you have a serious issue with your device. As there are shut down precautions if it gets that hot.

08-02-15 04:57 PM
    Not that bad? You can get burned if holding your hand for too long.
    Do you also say "I'M STAAAARVING" after not eating for 5 hours? Stop overreacting.

I have a feeling the bit of excessive heat generation on the Passport has to do with Android apps: the ported ones in BBW or other ones installed. Running Android-x86 builds on Intel core processors causes the same issue, locking the CPU either at minimum or maximum. This, in turn, causes more heat to be generated. All my devices running Android-x86 tend to run hotter than they do in Windows.

I believe this comes down to the tuning of the CPU/SoC for the OS it was intended to run. I have no proof of this, but I think thermal management gets a little wonky.
    08-02-15 05:05 PM
    Running AT&T Passport since March. I have over 20 android apps and double that in native apps with a third as browser app/shortcuts (mobile banking). My phone is significantly hotter while running Android apps. Imagine touching a piece of metal baking in a car while it's 80 degrees outside, that's how it feels sometimes in the top right corner. I usually 'taskmanager' the android apps and shut them down. When I leave it alone for a bit, it cools down. Annoying nonetheless. I have read in reviews the phone stays cool throughout the day but I think that's b/c the phone was used with preloaded stock apps.
    08-02-15 05:24 PM
    Yeah that's a little too hot or a little too exaggerated lol.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-15 07:03 PM
    Mine get warm has well. But I had in mind that it appends when the antenna (most likelely wifi) get overused.

In don't use much similar demanding Android apps.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-15 07:10 PM
    Every phone I own heats up! BlackBerry PP, iphone 6, iphone 6 plus and galaxy s6 edge.....so yea.......

Posted via CB10
    08-02-15 08:38 PM
    To be straight and honest, try and get rid of all android apps and find BlackBerry alternatives. It takes time but can be done. It will increase the battery life and keep RAM free. I am down to just two apps left, Google Maps and Waze. I think I will keep Waze though.

Posted via CB10
    This is really good opinion. Because the Native apps run faster and smoother than Android apps. In case you have to use Android app, there's no choice.
    08-02-15 09:27 PM
    Thanks guys for all your opinions.. I think I'll get rid of my android apps and find alternatives..

Blackberry Passport 10.3.2.2339
    08-03-15 12:01 AM
    I think the OS could be the problem. The newer the leak the hotter it gets.
    I would stick with 10.3.2.800 or as low as 500.

The exception is playing android games, and if your running several android apps. It will get hot no matter what.

Posted via CB10
    08-03-15 08:37 AM
    Be careful not to let it heat up too much... ex. Hot weather and hot device... the glue adhesive gets weakened.

It will cause the screen to lift on the right side of the screen.

Posted via CB10
    SuperionMaximus and andre3030 like this.
    08-03-15 08:42 AM
    Be careful not to let it heat up too much... ex. Hot weather and hot device... the glue adhesive gets weakened.

It will cause the screen to lift on the right side of the screen.

Posted via CB10
    I can vouch for that. Mine started heating up, upper right corner. I won't say enough to get burnt, but definitely uncomfortable using volume or power buttons. I've done a wipe and OS re-install. The problem is still there. And it gets hot enough to melt the glue that holds the screen in place. So, I now have a lifted screen, too.

Unfortunately, I bought the phone as open box from the Amazon Warehouse. But Blackberry says the IMEI isn't Amazon, so I get to argue with both. It didn't start uverheating until 10.3.2.2226/2339. So, I'll wait till another OS update comes out and see if that fixes it. If so, it shouldn't cost that much to get the screen reglued.
    08-03-15 03:27 PM
    I can vouch for that. Mine started heating up, upper right corner. I won't say enough to get burnt, but definitely uncomfortable using volume or power buttons. I've done a wipe and OS re-install. The problem is still there. And it gets hot enough to melt the glue that holds the screen in place. So, I now have a lifted screen, too.

Unfortunately, I bought the phone as open box from the Amazon Warehouse. But Blackberry says the IMEI isn't Amazon, so I get to argue with both. It didn't start uverheating until 10.3.2.2226/2339. So, I'll wait till another OS update comes out and see if that fixes it. If so, it shouldn't cost that much to get the screen reglued.
    I can relate. We will probably see updates soon.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-15 12:31 PM
    I can relate. We will probably see updates soon.

Posted via CB10
    In the meantime, I'm having fun with an Alcatel OneTouch Idol 3. No, it's not a flagship killer. But, for $250, it's fast enough and everything works really well. Having done about every version of Windows, a few of Linux, and several of Android, using Android isn't as daunting or painful as it seems to be for some here.
    08-05-15 09:18 PM