There seems to be so many rumors floating around about the slider. They seem to point in different directions:

Rumors:

1. BlackBerry Slider is going all Android. People who saw it, say it runs full Android, but looks the same as BlackBerry 10

2. Slider is running BlackBerry 10. People who use it claim it was BlackBerry 10 with improved Android run time

Facts:

1. BlackBerry is for sure doing something with Android. Androidsecured.com has been registered

2. Blackphone, and other Android phones that claimed to be secure, were not... Android simply is not securable. If it was Google with it's resources and time would have figured it out by now.

3. Chen said the will lunch android device, only if they can make it secure

Conclusion
    BlackBerry is working with Android. Since BlackBerry has a fraction of resources of Google, and most likely a lot less time, they could not have fixed Android's millions of lines of code, in the time period. Therefore it must be a much more sophisticated approach they took.

What if both people that saw the slider were right. If the slider looks and feels like BlackBerry, but runs android (presumable applications such as chrome, and drive), it could mean BlackBerry has made a much improved Android run time. In fact so good, people using it have not figured out that it was BlackBerry 10

In this situation BlackBerry 10 is running as the core, with all of it's security, certificates, compatibility, and features, as the launcher.
    Android is what fills the launcher, with maybe Google services. Since Android is send-boxed, and dose not have direct access to Hardware, would create a secure Android.

It is most logical option as well, as they still develop BlackBerry 10, while securing Android (where so many others have failed)

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by maciek226; 07-25-15 at 09:56 PM. Reason: adding extra facts
    07-25-15 04:50 PM
    It's possible

Posted via CB10
    07-25-15 05:14 PM
    What if Google were to keep running Android but have a BB10 runtime for secure communication? Is that even possible to do on a device?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-25-15 06:45 PM
    What if Google were to keep running Android but have a BB10 runtime for secure communication? Is that even possible to do on a device?

Lol, the Android OS is insecure. Doesn't matter what you put on top.

The inverse keeps the core functions locked down and allows Android apps to run in a closed environment that doesn't have access to the hardware or core OS.
    07-25-15 06:52 PM
    I'm thinking the same thing. BlackBerry has somehow managed to get full Google Play Store access with an updated runtime. This is much more likely than them switching to full Android.

Posted via CB10
    GRojasHruska and undone like this.
    07-25-15 09:25 PM
    I believe they don't have anything to show off... why would he keep saying the past few days how he is ready to just shut the whole smartphone division down

Posted via CB10
    07-25-15 09:36 PM
    They must have something. Why would they register androidsecured domain + Chen has a plan, always.
    07-25-15 09:43 PM
    Your hypothesis violates the Occam's Razor principle that the simplest answer is usually the correct one. Your "more sophisticated approach" would be more expensive, take longer to develop, be less power efficient, and probably do nothing to enhance security as it would mean launching an OS combination with little real-world testing. And to what end? Who is really looking for Blackberry 10 outside of these forums?

The most logical answer is stock Android preloaded with the same BlackBerry experience apps that are available for any Android device. That allows outsourcing of almost all of the hardware operations, full Google Play compatibility, BES integration, shorter development timeline, and enhanced focus on Android apps with the BlackBerry experience targeting a much broader install base.

Why try to shoe-horn Android into BlackBerry 10 when you can focus on what BlackBerry can do for all of their Android-using customers?
    jmr1015 and ccbs like this.
    07-25-15 09:45 PM
    The problem with your simple-at-first solution, is that the smartphone they lunch must be secure. Chen said the would not go with Android, unless they can secure it.

As mentioned before securing android is an impossible job, (look at first post). Therefore, my theory seems the simplest, fulfilling AL requirements solution. Yours might be simpler but again doesn't go well with the facts.

Did I miss something?
    07-25-15 09:50 PM
    Blackberry 10 as the core, android on top, still secure same as now only more android. Or maybe even a BlackBerry/Google mix but still bb10 core for security. Guess we will find out

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.2339
    Last edited by rebroker2009; 08-13-15 at 11:06 PM.
    07-25-15 09:52 PM
    Pretty sure the androidsecured domain was registered for a partnership with Google for enterprise mobile security.

Posted via CB10
    Allanon89 likes this.
    07-25-15 10:33 PM
    I think this is a very good possibility and the one that would satisfy current BlackBerry supporters the most... I would love for this to be the case as I really like BB10, sadly BlackBerry has disappointed me so much over the year that I no longer have faith...

Well have to wait and see...

Posted via CB10
    07-25-15 10:44 PM
    Why would BlackBerry make a site for Android for Work. They are a partner of Google, and partners are usually behind the scenes, and not running the show. They made a similar deal with Samsung last year, and no site for them.
    whitland likes this.
    07-25-15 10:52 PM
    Can Android be secured? I did some casual research and found this site: AndroidSecured.com A company called BlackBerry has teamed up with Google to secure Android for use with BES. I think they would disagree with the notion that Android can't be secured.

Q: To John Chen - "You said that you would build an Android phone if you could make it secure"

A: "Well, we simply found that it is impossible to secure Android. Now, let me tell you what we're doing with Google to secure Android for use with BES."
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    07-25-15 11:01 PM
    Well, if going that route, you can say BlackBerry has secured iOS, and Windows Phone as well.
    BlackBerry Enterprise Service 12 ? BES 12 ? Download BES 12 - Canada

I'm not a software engineer, so I cannot say a lot about this. If I understand correctly, BES works like a secured little can inside another operating system. Securing a little piece of software is much easier than securing everything, which sort of defines a secured phone, that we are (hopefully) using.

Correct me if I am wrong
    07-25-15 11:13 PM
    John Chen isn't going to claim to be securing the Slider using Snapchat, banking transactions, or Google Photos. BB10 or not, he can't do that. He can secure the BES12 communication. There's nothing wrong with that.

As you said, securing a little piece of software is much easier than securing everything. In this time frame of months and with scaling back the hardware program so much, this is the logical thing to do. He as much admitted that the Blackphone is really the secure phone.
    07-25-15 11:30 PM
    A runtime would mean no Google Play Services. Waste of time beyond what they already have.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    07-25-15 11:47 PM
    John Chen isn't going to claim to be securing the Slider using Snapchat, banking transactions, or Google Photos. BB10 or not, he can't do that. He can secure the BES12 communication. There's nothing wrong with that.

As you said, securing a little piece of software is much easier than securing everything. In this time frame of months and with scaling back the hardware program so much, this is the logical thing to do. He as much admitted that the Blackphone is really the secure phone.
    I believe he said the "black" phone as in boeing's phone not "blackphone" by silent circle.

The difference is one actually involves BlackBerry.

But I could be wrong.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-15 05:57 PM
    What I meant, is "secured" android smartphone.
    https://home.silentcircle.com/

It has been hacked on multiple occasions
    Online privacy ? 'secure' Blackphone hacked in 5 minutes

There is also secured and self destruction phone made by boeing... and BlackBerry
    The self-destructing Boeing Black Android smartphone will use BlackBerry's mobile security platform

The problem with the first is it is not secure, just privacy promoting (which is not the same thing as secure).
    The other is another partially secured phone, secured by BlackBerry, that will also self destruct. It is not really something I would call... regular customer friendly.

When it comes to securing only communications... I don't need that from my phone. I want a secure phone that will no leak my photos all over the Internet. BlackBerry must secure an entire device.
    07-26-15 09:16 PM
    I don't think it's a rumor.

I thi.k the new phone will be full Android that will be secured by BlackBerry.

Via my Z30 on the Telus network
    07-26-15 09:24 PM
    Somehow I find it hard to believe that BlackBerry, with its dwindling resources and having never developed an Android handset, is going to make a more secure version of Android - not just Android but Google's Android. That would mean that BlackBerry either has security wizardry that Google doesn't have or more resources than Google does. That's pretty farfetched.

The slider will probably be secured in the same way that all of the other BlackBerry handsets were secured - with BES. Without BES, as most people here know, BlackBerry handsets really aren't any more secured than any other devices except that BB10 isn't usually a target of malicious apps.
    jmr1015 likes this.
    07-26-15 10:18 PM

What about BB10 offers "secure communications" exactly? BB10 doesn't encrypt voice calls, SMS, or email, end to end.
    07-27-15 02:30 AM
    QNX Hypervisor. Your thinking is not a dream, it's real.

Posted via CB10
    trsbbs likes this.
    07-27-15 02:55 AM
    IMO the slider will definitely run BB10. It's what Chen said (less devices, maybe two or even one) that is the giveaway for me.
    undone likes this.
    07-27-15 02:56 AM
    Somehow I find it hard to believe that BlackBerry, with its dwindling resources and having never developed an Android handset, is going to make a more secure version of Android - not just Android but Google's Android. That would mean that BlackBerry either has security wizardry that Google doesn't have or more resources than Google does. That's pretty farfetched.

The slider will probably be secured in the same way that all of the other BlackBerry handsets were secured - with BES. Without BES, as most people here know, BlackBerry handsets really aren't any more secured than any other devices except that BB10 isn't usually a target of malicious apps.
    If blackphone by silent circle can do a "secure" android so can BlackBerry. In fact Boeing has asked BlackBerry to help them secure android in a way, although it's not clear how.

And for the umpteenth time BlackBerry 10 devices are more secure than IOS and android and it's not because of obscurity but because of blackberry's root of trust. BlackBerry weren't hacked when they had 30 percent market share either.

It is not in google's interest to secure android, it's as simple as that. They would rather spend their money on more profitable and groundbreaking things like Google glass, fiber, etc.

Do we really need to go around this bush again?

Posted via CB10
    07-27-15 07:05 AM
33 12