Without trying to be too vague, my friend (a former BB employee with strong ties to current employees), told me he has used an BlackBerry slider running ANDROID! I didn't get into spec details with him, but basically it was a BlackBerry slider >5" phone running Android OS with a BlackBerry "skin" UI.

He said it looked and operated like a current BB, with the hub, swipe, flow etc, but Android was the base OS. He said Google was planning on spending 10's of millions in marketing it as the most secure Android device out there.

He was told the plan was to phase out BB10 and run all new phones on Android with the BB UI skin. The first slider phone will be released before US Thanksgiving, with a Classic type model to follow by the end of the year.

I know, I know - a friend of a friend, and all that, but I believe him.
    bp2k7, bakron1, MO3iusONE and 4 others like this.
    06-29-15 07:38 PM
    Interesting. Let me go mark Thanksgiving on my calendar..

Posted via CB10
    06-29-15 07:51 PM
    Well, their current strategy isn't working. I can't see Chen dumping more money into hardware and phone that just isn't catching on. A secure Android device might be all that is left for BlackBerry from a hardware perspective.

RedBerry Passport / 10.3.2.2339 / Telus
    06-29-15 07:54 PM
    This makes the most sense of the rumors. Run Android as the os but use a bb10 skin instead of say touchwiz.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    06-29-15 07:56 PM
    This makes the most sense of the rumors. Run Android as the os but use a bb10 skin instead of say touchwiz.

but this does nothing to make it more secure. That part is what i find more interesting.
    06-29-15 08:03 PM
    but this does nothing to make it more secure. That part is what i find more interesting.
    I agree. That and Google marketing.

06-29-15 08:13 PM
    I'm not techy like most of you, but he mentioned something about apps still being sandboxed? I'm not on BES, so for me, if it looks like a BlackBerry, and feels like a Blackberry, I really don't care how it works. I love my Z30, and I don't need/use a ton of apps, I just like the interface. I've tried the kids iPad/iPod, and have no interest. I'm liking my Windows 8.1 Lenovo Yoga tablet, and have only had limited time with Android.
    djtim and kvndoom like this.
    06-29-15 08:20 PM
    Find it hard to believe as BB10 security is why BlackBerry sells most of its handsets.

I could see secure Android as an option though.

Maybe dual boot??

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    06-29-15 09:13 PM
    i truly hope it's dual boot or hypervisor-based. QNX is an amazing operating system and IMO a better foundation than the Linux kernel in Android for building a secure platform. Still, BlackBerry seems committed to fostering secure android development on their blogs.

It's a privilege to get the chance to use enterprise-level software such as QNX.
    Last edited by m3mb3rsh1p; 06-29-15 at 09:57 PM.
    Allanon89 and GRojasHruska like this.
    06-29-15 09:19 PM
    My understanding is that part of Blackberry's security is embedded in the hardware. The rest is through their servers. That is why they need to make the phones and why BES12 will never fully secure OS or Android phones. Maybe they can secure Android (more than it is now) with it running on BlackBerry phones.

Posted with BlackBerry Z30
    06-29-15 09:26 PM
    Find it hard to believe as BB10 security is why BlackBerry sells most of its handsets.
    You sure?
    GRojasHruska likes this.
    06-29-15 09:32 PM
    Yup I heard the same thing..sadly

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2339 | CB Mod
    06-29-15 09:39 PM
    Well so glad we wasted our time with the PlayBook and BB10. All the benefits of BB10 from a security and certification perspective will go away in an Android implementation. I know consumers don't care, but it is sad to see BlackBerry just throw and OS over the wall with no marketing or effort, a for sale 9 months after launch, and just chuck it away because it didn't sell itself.

I'd rather give Apple my money than throw another dime at BlackBerry to reward them for their pathetic efforts, and Google for the OHA garbage and Google Play services that make Android what it is today.

Posted via Z30
    06-29-15 09:46 PM
    Ah du.......

Posted via CB10
    06-29-15 10:00 PM
    I have waited over three years to upgrade my 9810 with a BB10 slider, If I wanted an Android phone I would done so already. If the slider is Android I guess I have two choices keep the 9810 or buy a Passport. I don't need no stinking Apps.
    GRojasHruska and gugomat like this.
    06-29-15 10:00 PM
    He said Google was planning on spending 10's of millions in marketing it as the most secure Android device out there.
    I realize that this is probably chump change for Google; but, wow, if this is true then Google would be doing BBRY a huge favor.
    southlander and MO3iusONE like this.
    06-29-15 10:11 PM
    I think it'll be QNX hypervisor core + android dalvik running on it at most, based on what my sources understand
    The question now is the balance between pre-existing BB10 and the new hypervisor system. Hypervisor at the core can run multiple OSes at the same time, so in a sense it could be a android/BB10 hybrid
    And whether Google will allow GSF and play store on the device natively is another question
    06-29-15 10:35 PM
    Without trying to be too vague, my friend (a former BB employee with strong ties to current employees), told me he has used an BlackBerry slider running ANDROID! I didn't get into spec details with him, but basically it was a BlackBerry slider >5" phone running Android OS with a BlackBerry "skin" UI.

He said it looked and operated like a current BB, with the hub, swipe, flow etc, but Android was the base OS. He said Google was planning on spending 10's of millions in marketing it as the most secure Android device out there.

He was told the plan was to phase out BB10 and run all new phones on Android with the BB UI skin. The first slider phone will be released before US Thanksgiving, with a Classic type model to follow by the end of the year.

Any information when is it coming out?
    06-29-15 10:57 PM
    Welcome AndroidBerry. I think it combines the best of both OSs. I use both; I like android, but prefer BlackBerry's OS.
    06-29-15 11:00 PM
    Does he personally use a BB10 device?
    Do you use a BB10 device?
    How often do you guys discuss about BB10?
    Are there any possibility that he's messing with you knowing that you're a BB10 user?
    GRojasHruska likes this.
    06-29-15 11:31 PM

im hoping this is all bull ...........if I wanted to use a droid I would not be here using a blackberry I hate droid os its for kids ...........bb10 rocks
    06-30-15 12:47 AM
    Well one day this rumour may turn out to be true but it will just be a typical Android device but with a hub for your Gmail and Gtexts and G calls. No way Google will spend money on BlackBerry. There is not enough here to be a rumour.

I liked the one from about two years ago where a BlackBerry employee allegedly had a slider in a fast food place.

Posted via CB10
    Irish Blues likes this.
    06-30-15 02:02 AM
    As long as the bb10 UI in this device can completely mimick the current bb10 UI, I'm all over this!

bp2k7 and southlander like this.
    06-30-15 09:37 AM
    Well one day this rumour may turn out to be true but it will just be a typical Android device but with a hub for your Gmail and Gtexts and G calls. No way Google will spend money on BlackBerry. There is not enough here to be a rumour.

I liked the one from about two years ago where a BlackBerry employee allegedly had a slider in a fast food place.

Posted via CB10
    The only thing is... I really think that Apple is becoming THE "business" device here in the US at least. If Google could make Android better secured, then maybe it would have an advantage??? But then, if that were their goal... why not just buy BlackBerry. So I too doubt that Google is going to be involved in marketing BlackBerry's products for them. I also question if they'll have Android secured and a full UI in place that acts just like BB10... by November. Most every argument I've seen on the Android vs their own OS.... indicated that two years would be needed to secure the OS and to make it uniquely BlackBerry - but then we don't know when they started this.

We will see what Nov brings...
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    06-30-15 09:38 AM
    In a way, if kind of defies the 10.3.3 announcement, let's say it's a small update which it seems it will be, could be early build released on a new device, like, oh, the Slider.
    06-30-15 11:05 AM
285 123 ...