As I have posted in a few other threads, I was still using my 9780 for business tied via BRIDGE to my Playbook. I also carried an iPhone then a WindowsPhone and now a new Quad Core Android for personal use alongside the Berry, but the Berry is/was and will continue to be my primary business phone, and the 9780 ported through the Playbook was just fine with me. I hesitated to change anything. Nothing was broken.

Every once in a while I would cruise Amazon for used 9900's in excellent shape and found one last weekend that was listed as 9 out of 10 on quality and very lightly used. The price was just too good to pass up, so reluctantly I ordered it. It came today and I have to say, it's not a 9 out of 10 it's a perfect 10. The device looks and feels like it just came out of the box. For the deep discount price, I'm amazed.

Beyond this, going from a 9780 to a 9900 is an amazing experience, or at least it is for me. The larger keyboard is VERY much welcome as I am a fairly big guy and had to use my thumb nail tips to type on the 9780. This really wore out the keys. But since I typed mostly on the Playbook it was passable. The 9900's keyboard is SO much better, it's ridiculous. I can actually type with my fingers instead of finger nails. Not only this, but the keyboard just FEELS so much better. The "Clicks" are hard to describe. I remember Keven M. in his Video when the 9900 first came out described the typing experience on the 9900 as "Satisfying". I now know what he meant by that. The speed of the processor compared to the 9780 is lightning fast. The Touch Screen is a very nice perk. The size, form, function, fit and finish make it an absolutely beautiful machine.

I ordered a new docking/charging cradle and an OEM Hard shell case for it for pennies on the dollar now that the 9900 is legacy. Also put on a screen protector since the screen is absolutely pristine. Just like the 9780, you can really find dirt cheap accessories online now that BIS devices are considered sunset.

For the first time in years, I don't mind reaching for the BlackBerry instead of the Playbook to answer email and/or Texts. And I can actually REALLY use the Web Browser, LinkedIn and Twitter. This will really put my new Android in the category of "Just for Apps".

My plan is to keep the 9900 for a few years and then finally retire BIS and move onto 10 or whatever is current in a few years, but for NOW, I'm delighted. The 9780 is officially retired after over 5 years of loyal service. Kudos to BlackBerry for making that device so robust. However, I honestly won't miss it. The 9900 is truly spectacular and superior in every single way. And I have a feeling it will be just as robust as its predecessor.
    06-26-15 04:56 PM
    i enjoyed my bold 9900 about fours or five years back too. Thanks goodness they came out with new berries. Looking back. The screen was waaaaay to small and the phone played the freeze game often.
    06-26-15 05:21 PM
    The 9900 was pretty quality.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.680 / T-Mobile USA
    06-26-15 05:24 PM
    I loved my 9900. I still have it.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    06-26-15 05:50 PM
    Welcome to the year 2011 !! Please get a BB 10 device ....
    elfabio80 and pgg101 like this.
    06-26-15 05:56 PM
    Why? Because he needs the upgrade or because BlackBerry desperately needs to sell more BB10 devices?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Posted from an ME173X
    06-26-15 06:15 PM
    For the first time in years, I don't mind reaching for the BlackBerry instead of the Playbook to answer email and/or Texts. And I can actually REALLY use the Web Browser, LinkedIn and Twitter. This will really put my new Android in the category of "Just for Apps".

What ? Since when does the Web browser work for anyone or anything on legacy?

Glad you're enjoying it though, perhaps you'll one day move to BlackBerry 10 and realize that you've been carrying two phones for no reason
    06-26-15 07:20 PM
    What ? Since when does the Web browser work for anyone or anything on legacy?

Glad you're enjoying it though, perhaps you'll one day move to BlackBerry 10 and realize that you've been carrying two phones for no reason
    I can appreciate that. But two things.

1.) I carry two phones for a reason beyond apps. I need two lines. I run two companies and each has a separate line.

2.) I BRIDGE my 9900 to the Playbook. Texting, email and browsing on the Playbook is not bad at all via Bridge. Plus, my MVNO can't decipher that I'm using Bridge for hotspotting, saving me a bunch of money.

So I need two phones. I'm very happy with Bridging the Playbook to a Legacy device, and when you travel abroad, legacy BIS is an excellent and very INEXPENSIVE way to communicate worldwide. Yep. It's sunsetting. I know in a few years I'll have to be on 10 or 11 or whatever is the new "OS" at the time. But for now, I'm delighted to have moved to a 9900. To me it's a GREAT productivity tool.
    GPuba likes this.
    06-26-15 07:44 PM
    Why? Because he needs the upgrade or because BlackBerry desperately needs to sell more BB10 devices?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Posted from an ME173X
    THIS ^^ Love my Classic, but my 9900 has that special love BB10 just hasn't fully captured... I pull double Berry action... Legacy BBOS and BB10... each has their place. Separate each is missing something, together they are complete.

Posted via CB10
    andy957 and GPuba like this.
    06-26-15 09:03 PM
    You're now using the best keyboard that ever fit into a single hand! We all know its days are numbered but i, for one, plan to continue using its keyboard long after BIS evaporates. Also its calendar, at least till BB10 learns what a calendar is... lol.

I also carry a Classic and find the two devices, one in each hand, compliment each other in powerfully effective ways. Classic's keyboard is second best ever, IMO. If Classic had swappable batt, i might not even use 9900 but... it is what it is.

Things you might consider include OS to latest. Haven't seen the infamous "spinning clock" or hourglass or what ever it was since upgrading to 7.1.0.1066 on my 9930. Also, spare batts and stand alone charger. The 9900 achieved its slim, light weight, form factor by minimizing battery size. Its relatively tiny battery works because it's swappable and it takes up minimal space in a pocket. I carry a spare batt in left pocket, swap spent batt to right pocket and swap into charger at first opportunity. Zero "wall time". Can't recall last time i even plugged into USB for charging.

99 only has a single convenience key so i use deKlikken to assign multiple presses to convenience, and other, keys. There are other, possibly better, apps for that also. I've assigned single convenience key press to messages which makes messages available from anywhere with a single click. Then, flashlight, etc...

Also, i like BlackBerry 7 theme for displaying 3 rows on home screen. BeWeather is one of my faves. Advance OS and Led pro covers a lot of utilities. BB maps gets the job done. Some folks like Opera Mini browser but i haven't tried it, yet. BB7 browser is getting clunky but still serviceable for most necessities like searching lodging, etc.
    Last edited by idssteve; 06-26-15 at 10:47 PM.
    06-26-15 10:28 PM
    Please get a clue.

People who live in the real world and do productive work don't waste their time with full touchscreen toy phones and mindless apps.
    Q10Bold, GPuba and idssteve like this.
    06-27-15 02:54 AM
    I am using the 9900 on 1 line too. With the docking station its a beautiful clock on the desk when its unused (and charging).

Posted via CB10
    GPuba and idssteve like this.
    06-27-15 05:16 AM
    Please get a clue.

People who live in the real world and do productive work don't waste their time with full touchscreen toy phones and mindless apps.
    The ability to operate a device with briefcase in other hand is a "no brainer" for me. Our 99s are the best single handed devices ever made, IMO.
    06-27-15 06:22 AM
    I am using the 9900 on 1 line too. With the docking station its a beautiful clock on the desk when its unused (and charging).

Posted via CB10
    Speaking of docking the Berry;

I have three docs. One for the Bedroom, one in the Office and one to travel with. I've really gotten in the habit of docking the phone rather than plugging in a micro USB in the side. Just more convenient, less wearing on the USB port, and it is nice to see things easily as the phone is in the stand, like the clock.

I also have three docking stations for my Playbook. To me that's a necessity as I need to see that Playbook in real time as emails come in.
    06-27-15 03:37 PM
    I know how you feel, loved my 9900 too

Posted via CB10
    GPuba and andy957 like this.
    06-27-15 03:42 PM
    What about a BOLD9900 Re-Release with BBOS10 on it ?

You think it would sell more then?
    neoberry99 and idssteve like this.
    06-27-15 08:09 PM
    ^^^ It probably would sell.

BIS still has a niche. If you travel internationally, you can't beat the roaming packages you can get for BIS. It's simply dirt cheap compared to roaming with standard data plans.

Also, "BlackBerry Travel" is superb. I'm not sure how well it works on BB10. I assume it's just as good? When I tried to jump on iOS and Android and WindowsPhone, using WorldMate or TripIt just isn't anywhere near as good. BlackBerry Travel never failed to auto-intercept and load incoming travel-confirmation emails and put them in Travel and Calendar for me. Again, this goes back to the Berry being a communication tool and business tool first and foremost.

Nobex Contacts is another example. I searched high and low for Android and iPhone and Windows Apps that could hold a candle to Nobex Contact's capture ability and prowess. Nothing came close. Nobex is excellent at scanning incoming emails, stripping out contact info and alerting the user that it's a new contact and offering to populate a new contact entry for you. And when it does, it populates correctly the first time, every time.

I spent a lot of effort TRYING to replace my BlackBerry with other devices that would be as "Efficient" and "Productive" and finally realized it would be a lot easier just to stay with the Master. I'm in it for the long-haul. I can't leave BlackBerry. It's the cornerstone of my business world. Speaking of the business world, If Forbes had a killer BlackBerry app, I'd be in heaven.
    GPuba, idssteve and neoberry99 like this.
    06-27-15 10:46 PM
    ^^^ It probably would sell.

BIS still has a niche. If you travel internationally, you can't beat the roaming packages you can get for BIS. It's simply dirt cheap compared to roaming with standard data plans.

Also, "BlackBerry Travel" is superb. I'm not sure how well it works on BB10. I assume it's just as good? When I tried to jump on iOS and Android and WindowsPhone, using WorldMate or TripIt just isn't anywhere near as good. BlackBerry Travel never failed to auto-intercept and load incoming travel-confirmation emails and put them in Travel and Calendar for me. Again, this goes back to the Berry being a communication tool and business tool first and foremost.

Nobex Contacts is another example. I searched high and low for Android and iPhone and Windows Apps that could hold a candle to Nobex Contact's capture ability and prowess. Nothing came close. Nobex is excellent at scanning incoming emails, stripping out contact info and alerting the user that it's a new contact and offering to populate a new contact entry for you. And when it does, it populates correctly the first time, every time.

I spent a lot of effort TRYING to replace my BlackBerry with other devices that would be as "Efficient" and "Productive" and finally realized it would be a lot easier just to stay with the Master. I'm in it for the long-haul. I can't leave BlackBerry. It's the cornerstone of my business world. Speaking of the business world, If Forbes had a killer BlackBerry app, I'd be in heaven.
    I completely agree with EVERYTHING that you've stated. I had a 9930 with Sprint back in 2011. I kept it until June of 2013 when I switched to Verizon and got the Q10. I kept that until December of 2013 when I gave my 70+ yo mother my Q10 and bought the Z30. I still have my Z30, love everything about it.

That being said, I recently bought a 9930 for VZW that will be arriving tomorrow. Why? Because of the precise statement that YOU made:

"BIS still has a niche. If you travel internationally, you can't beat the roaming packages you can get for BIS. It's simply dirt cheap compared to roaming with standard data plans."

I do travel overseas and I've always had a backup legacy phone for emergencies and for international purposes. Until a couple of months ago, I was using a 9650 as that phone, but as a good friend of mine was going to work in the Far East for a year, I gave them my 9650, leaving me without a device for overseas. I figured that if I was going to replace the 9650, then I should replace it w/the 9930 that I loved so much.

Totally understand the practicality and your love for this device.

Posted via CB10
    parryberry likes this.
    06-28-15 06:41 PM
    I completely agree with EVERYTHING that you've stated. I had a 9930 with Sprint back in 2011. I kept it until June of 2013 when I switched to Verizon and got the Q10. I kept that until December of 2013 when I gave my 70+ yo mother my Q10 and bought the Z30. I still have my Z30, love everything about it.

That being said, I recently bought a 9930 for VZW that will be arriving tomorrow. Why? Because of the precise statement that YOU made:

"BIS still has a niche. If you travel internationally, you can't beat the roaming packages you can get for BIS. It's simply dirt cheap compared to roaming with standard data plans."

I do travel overseas and I've always had a backup legacy phone for emergencies and for international purposes. Until a couple of months ago, I was using a 9650 as that phone, but as a good friend of mine was going to work in the Far East for a year, I gave them my 9650, leaving me without a device for overseas. I figured that if I was going to replace the 9650, then I should replace it w/the 9930 that I loved so much.

Totally understand the practicality and your love for this device.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed indeed.

I honestly remember very well sitting in the lobby of my hotel in Paris nightly for weeks on end and emailing for an hour or so a night on my 9780. All for $20 extra a month for international BIS via T-Mobile. And then keeping in total touch with everyone stateside all day long, also included in that $20.

And for the icing on the cake, when they first introduced T-Mo Personal Hotspot (not what we think of as hotspot, back then it meant VOIP), I would make international calls all day long via the hotel's WiFi using my Mobile Number with T-Mo's Hotspot Number Porting. Same with Texting. No extra charge. I'm sure they have caught on by now and charge for international calls VOIP. But back then, they didn't.

Nothing like sitting in Paris or London or Milan and calling all of your business contacts in the US and Canada for free. All thanks to T-Mo and BIS.

You just can't beat that for communicating with prowess and frugality combined.

Besides, I happen to love the form and fit of the 9900. Coming from the 9780, it's a true Cadillac. I know I'll move to a Passport eventually, but I'll always keep the 9900 for international travel as long as BIS is up and running.
    terminatorx and GPuba like this.
    06-28-15 08:00 PM
    Please get a clue.

Jim? Mike? Is that one of you?

By your math there aren't many people at all in the "real world" and/or who do productive work. Some of those with touchscreens will be shocked to find out they haven't been working productively. I was! I thank you for the accurate information.
    06-29-15 12:08 PM
    You're now using the best keyboard that ever fit into a single hand! We all know its days are numbered but i, for one, plan to continue using its keyboard long after BIS evaporates. Also its calendar, at least till BB10 learns what a calendar is... lol.

I also carry a Classic and find the two devices, one in each hand, compliment each other in powerfully effective ways. Classic's keyboard is second best ever, IMO. If Classic had swappable batt, i might not even use 9900 but... it is what it is.

Things you might consider include OS to latest. Haven't seen the infamous "spinning clock" or hourglass or what ever it was since upgrading to 7.1.0.1066 on my 9930. Also, spare batts and stand alone charger. The 9900 achieved its slim, light weight, form factor by minimizing battery size. Its relatively tiny battery works because it's swappable and it takes up minimal space in a pocket. I carry a spare batt in left pocket, swap spent batt to right pocket and swap into charger at first opportunity. Zero "wall time". Can't recall last time i even plugged into USB for charging.

99 only has a single convenience key so i use deKlikken to assign multiple presses to convenience, and other, keys. There are other, possibly better, apps for that also. I've assigned single convenience key press to messages which makes messages available from anywhere with a single click. Then, flashlight, etc...

Also, i like BlackBerry 7 theme for displaying 3 rows on home screen. BeWeather is one of my faves. Advance OS and Led pro covers a lot of utilities. BB maps gets the job done. Some folks like Opera Mini browser but i haven't tried it, yet. BB7 browser is getting clunky but still serviceable for most necessities like searching lodging, etc.
    Thank you for a well thought-out, excellent post!

I agree. The Keyboard is AMAZING. The 9780 Keyboard was a genuine PITA for anyone with large hands and fingers. As I posted before, I had to use my thumbnails to type on it. This trashed the keyboard twice. The 9900 is large enough so that I can really type by using my fingers. And the typing feedback clicks are amazing. As Kevin M. posted years ago, it's just satisfying to type on a 9900.

Thanks for the tips in your post. I will try some of your pointers.
    06-30-15 06:59 PM
    Another thing I realized that I take for granted in BIS is the ICS appointment capture power of my Berry.

I get a few ICS Appointment invitation emails from time to time, and my Berry consistently auto-captures them for me, flawlessly, time after time and puts them in my calendar correctly, with all the pertinent information.

My WindowsPhone used to be hard to deal with this. And for "GOTOMEETING" invitations, my WindowsPhone 8.1 was the worst. There was something inherently wrong with the core programming where the phone would see the incoming invitation, you'd accept it, and it would delete EVERYTHING including the incoming email with the appointment in it. Drove me nuts. I brought this to Microsoft's attention repeatedly but never got any traction on it. Of course, my Berry does all this flawlessly with GOTOMEETING.

My Droid is OK with ICS, via the app ICS IMPORTER, but it will only put in the rudimentary info like "You have an appointment for a web meeting Tuesday at 1:00 PM. That's it. No details. No idea with whom or about what or what number or web address to use. Of course, my Berry does this flawlessly every time, automatically. I don't have to use a 3rd party app to manually capture and direct the appointment to my calendar.

I am considering getting a Q5 to experiment with re: BB10 because it is an inexpensive entry device to 10 archetecture. I have very specific needs for a business phone that BIS and 7.1 does flawlessly. I am curious if BB10 does also, or if there are issues I should be aware of before I make any big leaps into BB10.
    07-05-15 04:49 PM
    I can appreciate that. But two things.

1.) I carry two phones for a reason beyond apps. I need two lines. I run two companies and each has a separate line.

2.) I BRIDGE my 9900 to the Playbook. Texting, email and browsing on the Playbook is not bad at all via Bridge. Plus, my MVNO can't decipher that I'm using Bridge for hotspotting, saving me a bunch of money.

So I need two phones. I'm very happy with Bridging the Playbook to a Legacy device, and when you travel abroad, legacy BIS is an excellent and very INEXPENSIVE way to communicate worldwide. Yep. It's sunsetting. I know in a few years I'll have to be on 10 or 11 or whatever is the new "OS" at the time. But for now, I'm delighted to have moved to a 9900. To me it's a GREAT productivity tool.
    I am on a Canadian carrier, how is roaming internationally very inexpensive? I have a unused 9900 sitting in my drawer so I am curious. (my Playbook will never leave the drawer for any reason).

Posted via CB10
    07-05-15 05:10 PM
    I am on a Canadian carrier, how is roaming internationally very inexpensive? I have a unused 9900 sitting in my drawer so I am curious. (my Playbook will never leave the drawer for any reason).

Posted via CB10
    Don't know about your carrier. However;

BIS, because it's a private network so to speak, is usually very inexpensive for roaming plans.

On T-Mobile USA, it was $20 a month for unlimited international roaming on my plan. THAT is VERY economical compared to any other DATA plan on ANY network. Where else are you going to get unlimited data for 20 bucks a month INTERNATIONAL?

Plus, T-Mo offers VOIP call transfer via UMA, so you can literally call with YOUR MOBILE NUMBER via internet and TEXT via internet with no international roaming charges whatsoever for calls. This was T-Mo ONLY and ATT did not offer this. Now, they may have changed this VOIP international, but it was free in Europe when I used it. I'd sit in my hotel room or a local Starbucks or Cafe Nero in Europe and call the USA and Canada for free, but unlike regular VOIP, my mobile number was transferred to the UMA by T-Mo.

YMMV. Each carrier can have different plans, but BIS should be infinitely less expensive to roam internationally than standard DATA plans.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    07-05-15 09:01 PM
    I too have loved all of my BlackBerry legacy and bb10 smartphones. Just cannot beat them. Used a pearl 8130 for a long time, then 9700 (I have both still!), had to switch to a smaller canadian carrier and got the 9900 due to both being incompatible (CDMA and 3G bands 1,2,5,6) with it. This keyboard is just amazing for me.

The classic is also amazing, same great keyboard, but flat all across.

Typed from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk for BlackBerry 7.1
    07-05-15 10:00 PM
40 12