7 month old re-issued 9900 started exhibiting double type a few weeks ago. Keyboard swap "fixed" it for about two weeks and now double type is back. Out of curiosity, i put the other double typing keyboard into an older 9900 and am still waiting to see double type on that older device. This seems to indicate a problem that runs deeper than just keyboard.

A few observations: Thankfully, no DTs have been identified while editing spreadsheets which would be disastrous for my use. DT only seemed to happen while "fast typing" into email or web entry (like CrackBerry forum posts). This was driving me nuts until one of my "smart guys" noticed that while using two thumbs during fast typing, i cradled the device in my fingers and wasn't touching the metal bezel. ... WTH?? ALL of my spreadsheet editing is done single handed with a firm grip on the metal bezel... this gets crazier...

He took that double typing 9900 home and "played" with it and returned it this morning. Seemingly "fixed". For now, anyway. I missed him for turn over but he left a note and filled in others on his theory. I'll try to relay what i understand of his theory. It seems he suspects some kind of feedback/noise associated with the screen's capacitive digitizer is making it's way through thumb, triggering input into some keys before they're pressed. The press represents a second "double" input... The metal bezel, if i understand right, establishes a reference to user flesh for that capacitance..?? (i think that's what he's saying lol). His fix involved replacing the screen and digitizer and using a contact compound under the frame screws. We might normally use deoxit or ridox for that but for some reason he used a compound he uses for rebuilding Prius batteries. FWIW. He also fitted some insulating film under the top edge of the keyboard. He did NOT replace the keyboard. This is still the same keyboard that had DTs yesterday. No DTs today. So far.

Questions: Has anyone heard of DTs on 9900 before? Or ANY legacy device?? Have PassPort users reported DT???

I'll continue using the device and we'll see. Might take weeks to show back up. This guy is SHARP so maybe he's on to something... time will tell...

EDIT: Just to be clear, we have several dozen 9900s in pretty heavy use for quite a few years. Never a sign of DT. This 9900 with DT is one of 5 re-issued devices. This one is the only 9900 with DT that i'm aware of. Didn't want to give the impression that DT on 9900 is chronic in any way.
    Last edited by idssteve; 06-19-15 at 06:41 PM.
    06-19-15 11:52 AM
    7 month old re-issued 9900 started exhibiting double type a few weeks ago. Keyboard swap "fixed" it for about two weeks and now double type is back. Out of curiosity, i put the other double typing keyboard into an older 9900 and am still waiting to see double type on that older device. This seems to indicate a problem that runs deeper than just keyboard.

A few observations: Thankfully, no DTs have been identified while editing spreadsheets which would be disastrous for my use. DT only seemed to happen while "fast typing" into email or web entry (like CrackBerry forum posts). This was driving me nuts until one of my "smart guys" noticed that while using two thumbs during fast typing, i cradled the device in my fingers and wasn't touching the metal bezel. ... WTH?? ALL of my spreadsheet editing is done single handed with a firm grip on the metal bezel... this gets crazier...

He took that double typing 9900 home and "played" with it and returned it this morning. Seemingly "fixed". For now, anyway. I missed him for turn over but he left a note and filled in others on his theory. I'll try to relay what i understand of his theory. It seems he suspects some kind of feedback/noise associated with the screen's capacitive digitizer is making it's way through thumb, triggering input into some keys before they're pressed. The press represents a second "double" input... The metal bezel, if i understand right, establishes a reference to user flesh for that capacitance..?? (i think that's what he's saying lol). His fix involved replacing the screen and digitizer and using a contact compound under the frame screws. We might normally use deoxit or ridox for that but for some reason he used a compound he uses for rebuilding Prius batteries. FWIW. He also fitted some insulating film under the top edge of the keyboard. He did NOT replace the keyboard. This is still the same keyboard that had DTs yesterday. No DTs today. So far.

Questions: Has anyone heard of DTs on 9900 before? Or ANY legacy device?? Have PassPort users reported DT???

I'll continue using the device and we'll see. Might take weeks to show back up. This guy is SHARP so maybe he's on to something... time will tell...
    Hi idssteve, sorry to hear your new issue 9900 has double typing, hopefully your 9900 problem with double typing is cured, we have had 9700/9780 bolds no problems and at present have five original 9900's in use no double typing, and two have new keyboards fitted for cosmetic reason's and so far these are trouble free, ( these are genuine old stock one's ) maybe Blackberry had better quality control then? after reading of double typing being reported on Classic and passport and the Q10 known for double typing retiring our Bold 9900's is not an option.
    06-19-15 02:29 PM
    Sometimes my 9900 and my 9780 exhibit the DT but its due more to how much pressure on the keys i exert more than a BB problem.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    06-19-15 02:35 PM
    Plenty of threads on this, I would've came up with a ton via a search. :P

Someone mentioned a fix which is risky, but worthy, but you need to move the "spots" on the membrane.

Typed using my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk for BlackBerry 7.1
    06-19-15 11:19 PM
    My search skills aren't very proficient but finding 9900 specific DT threads leading to solutions wasn't very productive, for me. FWIW. .

We routinely replace keyboard assemblies (including membrane) for paint wear and expected that to resolve the issue for longer than two weeks. Could have been defective replacement but this is the same kb that was DT two days ago and no DT so far since "mystery repair". The guy that performed the "repair" is in route to Mumbai & I haven't yet spoken with him about what he did. Other priorities, ya kno. . I'm wondering if simply removing & replacing the same kb might have re-positioned something? Idk.

So far so good but two days means nothing. Two months? We'll see.
    06-20-15 05:32 AM
    Has anyone heard of DTs on 9900 before? Or ANY legacy device?? Have PassPort users reported DT???
    07-02-15 04:40 AM
    Has anyone heard of DTs on 9900 before? Or ANY legacy device?? Have PassPort users reported DT???
    Well having read the postings prior to yours contained within this thread looks like YES this issue has surfaced before... However Legacy devices weren't nearly as afflicted with this ailment as the BB10 devices seem to be exhibiting this horrific error at alarming rates vs the sparse defects on Legacy devices...

I was fortunate to NEVER experience DT on my any devices be it my 9900 (had for nearly 5yrs and still in heavy use) my Q10 (used for 6months) nor either of my Classic's (1st one from shopblackberry used for nearly 4months and gave up to buy my second one from T-Mobile to support their rekindled love with BlackBerry. Had this one since mid-May still not a single double-down letter.) Luck of the draw perhaps?

Posted via CB10
    07-02-15 05:04 AM
    My 9900 works fine. It was produced in June 2014. I guess they have better quality control since 2012.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    07-02-15 05:06 AM
    Justa quick update, in to second week since "mystery repair" and no signs of DT from the late production 99 nor from the early 99 with the late production DT kb swapped into it. Two weeks is pretty meaningless but no DTs so far. FWIW.
    07-02-15 05:43 AM
    DT's in 9900's seem relatively unheard of. My company has intensely abused dozens of 9900s for nearly 4 ys and this is our first encounter with DT in 99s. I'm really not convinced it's even the same DT that BB10 users are experiencing... Just for perspective.
    07-02-15 06:00 AM
    Only had it happen a few times in my BlackBerry bold 9900, Q10. Wasn't bothered by it. I just go back and correct it.
    idssteve and AllanQuatermain like this.
    07-02-15 11:15 AM
    One of my 9930s used to DT with the spacebar and add a "." in the middle of sentences. It was frustrating. Never DT a letter though.
    idssteve likes this.
    07-02-15 01:36 PM
    The spacebar "." was one of the afflicted keys. There were others but I don't recall which right now. Almost wish it hadn't been "fixed" so I could test more. ALMOST. .

Still no signs of DT in repaired new issue, nor old issue with DTing KB swapped in. turning blue holding breath. Lol.
    07-05-15 01:09 AM
    The curse is expanding! Never thought legacy would get effected.

Posted from Neverland!
    07-05-15 01:52 AM
    Well, my single experience with it happens to be with a recently manufactured reissued 99. Fwiw. I'm at least a little skeptical that it's the same issue experienced in BB10.

My crew had some limited experience with it in our Q10s, over a year ago, but we didn't pursue the issue because we were moving back to 9900s for the "soft end" issue. What some of us recall on the Q was that it required some tiny physical pressure on an afflicted key to initiate a "ghost" input. This 99 required ZERO pressure on the afflicted keys. Mostly "n", as I recall. Never a CAP. The slightest brush of the afflicted keys initiated input. Very repeatable. I could insert characters in text with the slightest touch on the afflicted keys. No key press needed. Very similar to capacitive touch! Interestingly, the spacebar "." always required a press to initiate. Maybe some different phenomenon at work? Idk.

I've never concerned myself much with BB keyboard operating principles but the idea that some form of capacitive input was making its way thru the plastic keys, membrane, etc seems VERY far fetched! Yet, it really acted just like that. Adding to that perception was that thumbnail touch caused no input. Only touch by flesh. !! HOW is that possible?!?!!! Idk. Idk.

Swapping keyboards "fixed" it for about 3 weeks, last time. Starting into the third week since "mystery repair". We'll see.
    Last edited by idssteve; 07-05-15 at 06:45 AM.
    07-05-15 06:29 AM