I am looking to replace the keyboard on the 9900. Is there anything I need to know before I purchase a keyboard membrane?

ATT Z10 10.2.1.2179
    06-08-15 10:54 PM
    I am looking to replace the keyboard on the 9900. Is there anything I need to know before I purchase a keyboard membrane?

ATT Z10 10.2.1.2179
    Hi cbfan123, look for video on you tube how to replace 9900 keyboard it's very easy to do, and you will need torx screwdriver size 5, I have several 9900's in daily use and replacement has been for cosmetic reasons not damage or double typing, I found Genuine Blackberry keyboard assy with new Track pad fitted and lower cover included, for 10GBP/$15/19 CAD on Amazon and so far excellent no problems, and if you require a new battery I have been fitting XP Pro batteries twin pack about 15GBP and 1450mAh rating no problems so far hope this helps.
    Murundum likes this.
    06-09-15 02:50 AM
    Hi cbfan123, look for video on you tube how to replace 9900 keyboard it's very easy to do, and you will need torx screwdriver size 5, I have several 9900's in daily use and replacement has been for cosmetic reasons not damage or double typing, I found Genuine Blackberry keyboard assy with new Track pad fitted and lower cover included, for 10GBP/$15/19 CAD on Amazon and so far excellent no problems, and if you require a new battery I have been fitting XP Pro batteries twin pack about 15GBP and 1450mAh rating no problems so far hope this helps.
    Thank you for the response. There a few keys (mostly in the left side along with the BB button) that are not very responsive. They work but I would need to press hard.

ATT Z10 10.2.1.2179
    Murundum likes this.
    06-12-15 09:08 AM
    Cheap and easy. Allen covered it pretty well. We replace ours about two-three months, mostly for paint wearing through on the keys. Light shining through high points on the worn keys starts resembling " ) " or " ( " or " ' ". Also micro-scratches on the trackpad will cause it to go "sun crazy" when in bright sunlight. Quick and cheap keyboard R&R (including trackpad) keeps things humming nicely. We have a box of them sitting on the break room table along with torx drivers, spare screws, etc. I can swap one during 5 minute coffee break and still drink plenty of coffee...

BTW, already swapped kb in my 6 month new, re-issued, 9900 because of double type. New kb "fixed" it for a while but dt's returned after a couple weeks. Never had dt's with older 9900's. Still no clue WTH !! Gotta luvem.
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    06-13-15 05:48 AM
    Like others have said, it is super easy to replace if you follow the widely available video instructions.

The problem I had was the replacement keyboard itself. I bought one that seemed was advertised to be OEM. It looked OEM as well on arrival.

However after installation the quality of the key-click would prove far from satisfactory or much much worse than my old factory installed keyboard.

I sent it back and got replacement, which was just as bad.

So I'm on the old factory keyboard again.

Maybe I just had bad luck or a bad vendor, but anyhow these are my experiences.
    06-16-15 10:44 PM
    Never bothered to replace my keyboard. B, Spacebar, N, J, T, R, E, W, D, M, K, L, O, Sym, A and Alt, Del keys are worn and everything is functional.

Typed using my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk for BlackBerry 7.1
    06-19-15 11:22 PM
    Fast forward a few weeks...

...o, a, del, were worn as mentioned before.

After coming back from our oceanfront high-humidity vacation, now more often than not even the a, e, r, started to miss (opposite of double typing).

So I tried my luck again and bought again a keyboard-trackpad combo unit from evil-Bay for USD $4.99 (this time from a different vendor).

Then went on and changed the keyboard in lett than 5 minutes.

Result: Works excellent

Verdict: 9900 rocks. I belive it has the simplest way to replace the keyboard of all Blackberries.
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    07-31-15 04:56 PM
    Fast forward a few weeks...

...o, a, del, were worn as mentioned before.

After coming back from our oceanfront high-humidity vacation, now more often than not even the a, e, r, started to miss (opposite of double typing).

So I tried my luck again and bought again a keyboard-trackpad combo unit from evil-Bay for USD $4.99 (this time from a different vendor).

Then went on and changed the keyboard in lett than 5 minutes.

Result: Works excellent

Verdict: 9900 rocks. I belive it has the simplest way to replace the keyboard of all Blackberries.
    Do you feel any difference compared to original keyboard? I need new keyboard for my 9900, could you give me link to that seller, so i can order it for myself.

Sorry for my english.
    08-01-15 11:59 AM
    Do you feel any difference compared to original keyboard? I need new keyboard for my 9900, could you give me link to that seller, so i can order it for myself.
    No problem,

I bought it on US-eBay, from seller pandean. Price was actually $4.09 with free shipping. It arrived in about 1 week.

The keyboard feels a bit softer and less clicky than the original. However I do belive that this eBay keyboard is also an original Blackberry keyboard. It had all the exact same part numbers at the exact same location than the original. Also the trackpad+keys light up in the dark.

Quick tipp: when you start using the keyboard, look for a clear (invisible) protection sticker on the trackpad. It has to be removed for the trackpad to work good. Additionally I also had to clean the trackpad a little bit simply with my T-shirt. After that the trackpad works now 100% like the old one did.

So overall I'm very happy, indeed because it was soo cheap I'm considering to buy another one myself too, because in the future who knows if I can fond one that works this well.

Let me know if you need more help locating the seller.
    AllanQuatermain and iRetired like this.
    08-01-15 06:29 PM
    No problem,

I bought it on US-eBay, from seller pandean. Price was actually $4.09 with free shipping. It arrived in about 1 week.

The keyboard feels a bit softer and less clicky than the original. However I do belive that this eBay keyboard is also an original Blackberry keyboard. It had all the exact same part numbers at the exact same location than the original. Also the trackpad+keys light up in the dark.

Quick tipp: when you start using the keyboard, look for a clear (invisible) protection sticker on the trackpad. It has to be removed for the trackpad to work good. Additionally I also had to clean the trackpad a little bit simply with my T-shirt. After that the trackpad works now 100% like the old one did.

So overall I'm very happy, indeed because it was soo cheap I'm considering to buy another one myself too, because in the future who knows if I can fond one that works this well.

Let me know if you need more help locating the seller.
    On your advice, I just ordered a replacement keyboard from this seller too. Thank you! Now I need to find some tools and a youtube video...
    08-15-15 08:08 PM
    On your advice, I just ordered a replacement keyboard from this seller too. Thank you! Now I need to find some tools and a youtube video...
    It will work.

There are a few good video's out there. People in the video are generally quite "brutal" with the device. I would be more careful, but you don't have to worry too much either. Changing the keyboard on the 9900 is very easy and pretty straight forward.

Don't worry when you pry up the flat cable connector of the keyboard. After changing to new keyboard, when it is time to connect it back, look and find that the cable connector has a little guide tab on one side. This guide tab has to fit the matching hole on the device side. Bit don't worry this is actually very easy.

Any problems (which again I don't think you'll have, but never the less) - just post.
    08-16-15 01:01 PM
    Does anybody know of a reliable UK seller for 9900 replacement keyboard/trackpad units? I'd be very grateful if somebody is prepared to share their 'good experiences'
    02-15-16 10:41 AM