I'm currently on a Q10 and looking to upgrade, and the Slider is a strong contender... but I'm starting to think they should adopt Android.

I think visually BB10 is the superior platform, it looks so polished compared to Android and some versions of Android look absolutely ghastly, but I think the lack of major apps on BlackBerry is going to continue to be a major sticking point - even for enterprise users, many of whom need access to all social networks for their job.

So I'm beginning to think I'd support the Slider launching with a heavily modified version of Android on it - BlackBerry's security baked in, with the Hub, and the entire visual language redesigned to look and feel just like BB10, but actually powered by Android, with access to all Google services, and access to the full Google play store. That also means I could buy a smart watch to pair with my BlackBerry.

To me, it seems like a logical solution now, probably 6 years too slow. Would you support it, if it looked and felt like BB10?
    mctapt and Graham Mufc like this.
    06-05-15 08:46 AM
    i would support it. Will it happen, probably not.
    06-05-15 08:50 AM
    i would support it. Will it happen, probably not.
    So you don't think there is any chance that Samsung would release a BlackBerry/KNOX branded device running Android with the BlackBerry Experience preinstalled?

Sadly I don't see much of a future for BB10... it's development and support cost just don't justify its existences with sales where they are today. If they aren't going to have their own ecosystem, and Android can be secured... what is the point?

I assume Android can be secured - well enough, as it's the only OS that is currently being talked about by the DISA or DARPA.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-05-15 09:03 AM
    There is a real need for a secure Android experience. I would give my left kidney for a android based blackberry with the blackberry keyboard and hub.
    Mecca EL and yokogeri374 like this.
    06-05-15 09:17 AM
    There is a real need for a secure Android experience. I would give my left kidney for a android based blackberry with the blackberry keyboard and hub.
    I won't give my left or right kidney. But I would fork out a few hundred bucks for it.

Posted via CB10
    SpamHammer and Mecca EL like this.
    06-05-15 09:20 AM
    No. I wouldn't pay a dime.

Posted Via The Classic
    06-05-15 09:21 AM
    I would. I'm all for security, but let's face it outside of the office no one really maximizes the full potential of it. Majority of people are on Facebook, Twitter, SnapChat, Tumblr etc. If you're going to tell me security is a priority after that you'd be lying to yourself.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL, Phil0080 and Levi_Asaiah like this.
    06-05-15 09:29 AM
    Definitely not.

Posted via my STL100-2 | Waiting for the mighty Squircle to return
    06-05-15 09:31 AM
    Don't like android and would never buy one.

Z10 STL100-3/10.3.2.798/CB10
    Phil0080 likes this.
    06-05-15 09:32 AM
    My guess is they will be releasing a variation of android. Perhaps with a qnx kernel. The app gap is too big right now

Posted via CB10
    06-05-15 09:52 AM
    Right now no way. I'd have to test one out to see if I could deal with it or not

Posted via CB10
    06-05-15 10:34 AM
    I'm currently on a Q10 and looking to upgrade, and the Slider is a strong contender... but I'm starting to think they should adopt Android.

I think visually BB10 is the superior platform, it looks so polished compared to Android and some versions of Android look absolutely ghastly, but I think the lack of major apps on BlackBerry is going to continue to be a major sticking point - even for enterprise users, many of whom need access to all social networks for their job.

So I'm beginning to think I'd support the Slider launching with a heavily modified version of Android on it - BlackBerry's security baked in, with the Hub, and the entire visual language redesigned to look and feel just like BB10, but actually powered by Android, with access to all Google services, and access to the full Google play store. That also means I could buy a smart watch to pair with my BlackBerry.

To me, it seems like a logical solution now, probably 6 years too slow. Would you support it, if it looked and felt like BB10?
    No. It is an insecure OS and Android has no plans to secure it as it would derive them from advertising revenue. If they secure the OS so your information isn't tracked, then Google wouldn't want it. That is why they are pushing google services. So I would never own an Android OS from BlackBerry. Google wouldn't allow BlackBerry to secure the OS properly. I would go Windows 10.
    06-05-15 10:41 AM
    My guess is they will be releasing a variation of android. Perhaps with a qnx kernel. The app gap is too big right now

Posted via CB10
    Google wouldn't allow it and they would have to rewrite the OS which would be a waste since most Android apps wouldn't work without Google Services.
    chgaida and Mathijs Booden like this.
    06-05-15 10:43 AM
    So you don't think there is any chance that Samsung would release a BlackBerry/KNOX branded device running Android with the BlackBerry Experience preinstalled?

Sadly I don't see much of a future for BB10... it's development and support cost just don't justify its existences with sales where they are today. If they aren't going to have their own ecosystem, and Android can be secured... what is the point?

I assume Android can be secured - well enough, as it's the only OS that is currently being talked about by the DISA or DARPA.
    The development cost of rewriting and forking Android would be more than continuing development of BB10. Google would never allow a fork of Android that would could use Google Services.
    06-05-15 10:47 AM
    No, If I wanted an android I'd get one with much better specs without the stupid BlackBerry prices
    diogotrc and Melinium like this.
    06-05-15 10:55 AM
    The day when BlackBerry release an android phone I'll buy Han iphone and live struggling ever after

Posted via Passport SQW100-1/10.3.2.680
    06-05-15 11:07 AM
    No. Makes no sense. Would buy a regular android if that's the case! Dont see a skinned or themed BB being that much different if the underlying OS is still the same! Defeats purpose of using different platform!
    06-05-15 11:16 AM
    I will support BlackBerry. I have enjoyed communicating with their devices for 10 years. Whatever they feel they need to do, I am sure the BlackBerry feel would still be there and it would be a communication workhorse as usual.
    NinjaB, Carmels and vkberry like this.
    06-05-15 12:07 PM
    No, no questions asked.

Herp derp
    06-05-15 12:08 PM
    I had actually thought about it and posted in a different thread.

http://forums.crackberry.com/armchai...-upto-1021395/
    06-05-15 01:28 PM
    Not at all

Posted via CB, using a Q5
    06-05-15 01:31 PM
    I like android, but I believe blackberry should stick with the Blackberry 10 OS and just work on improving the run time.
    vergiove likes this.
    06-05-15 01:39 PM
    No... I want a BlackBerry because it is a BlackBerry through and through... any modification of that and I see no reason to keep using a BlackBerry.
    06-05-15 01:46 PM
    Never

Posted via CB10
    lift, chgaida and diogotrc like this.
    06-05-15 01:47 PM
    No Android, thanks.

 Z30 - 10.3.2.798
    06-05-15 01:49 PM
515 123 ...