My Playbook gets used daily these days (yay!) but has developed a fault which shows only when it is plugged in to charge by USB. I have yet to find try it when plugged in to the mains rapid charger.

When charging (via USB) the touch screen goes nuts-- phantom swipes, multiple types and touches, etc. It is unusable basically.

Has anyone else came across this?

I imagine the answer is to buy another Playbook cheap, second hand. Unfortunately, I have to charge via high-power USB most of the time as I am away from mains electricity.

I'm holding out for a quick fix but don't have much hope.

Posted via CB10
    06-03-15 04:00 AM
    The same thing happened to me when using some after market USB charger with USB data cable (original or otherwise), may be not enough amps? My experience using good USB "charge-only" cable (NOT the one with changeable tips) works ok even with notebook USB port or 500mA charger...but sloooww, overnight.
    06-03-15 04:46 AM
    You are right! I used a different cable and it charged fine.

I was using a high power USB adapter (2.5A) but the cable mustn't have liked it!

Charges fine now with my other cables.

Thank you for your reply; I was starting to look for a replacement Playbook!

Posted via CB10
    06-09-15 12:09 PM
    This happens to me too but with the charger it came with. I just don't use it when plugged in...Not only that but lately it only shows the plug icon instead of the lightning bolt and nowadays it's even worse cause 9 times out of 10 it won't accept the charger anymore....because of this i bought the official magnetic charging cradle and after about 6 months that also has problems charging. it shows the lighting bolt charging icon but doesn't actually charge.... i'm not sure if the battery is on its last legs. *sigh*

Posted via CB10
    07-13-15 02:22 PM
    Pretty sure this has come up before if you search the forums. Has to do with the charger being grounded (3 prong). Not an issue with your playbook.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    07-13-15 08:32 PM
    This happens to me too but with the charger it came with. I just don't use it when plugged in...Not only that but lately it only shows the plug icon instead of the lightning bolt and nowadays it's even worse cause 9 times out of 10 it won't accept the charger anymore....because of this i bought the official magnetic charging cradle and after about 6 months that also has problems charging. it shows the lighting bolt charging icon but doesn't actually charge.... i'm not sure if the battery is on its last legs. *sigh*

Posted via CB10
    The USB charger should be rated at 1.8A output. If not, its not fit for purpose.
    07-15-15 02:36 PM
    The USB charger should be rated at 1.8A output. If not, its not fit for purpose.
    Well i did say that it was the charger it came with.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-15 12:47 AM

Posted via CB10
    The "pogo pins" on the charging dock need to be cleaned every once in a while.
    If they don't have good contact pressure, it will show charging, but no current going through.
    Dust collects and gets trapped/drops down into the pins. use a wooden toothpick to flex/compress the pins, and even a little "Zep-Elec" contact cleaner. easy peasy......
    And the charge cradle is not magnetic, the only one that is is the rapid charger.....
    07-24-15 01:22 PM
    Pretty sure this has come up before if you search the forums. Has to do with the charger being grounded (3 prong). Not an issue with your playbook.
    I saw this even with the OEM charger that came with my Praybooks, yes it is a grounding issue, check/try other outlets, and make sure you are not on an outlet that has a "dimmer" switch on it. you'll fry the charger.....
    07-24-15 01:26 PM
    I've had this issue a number of times with the OEM chargers. What I once thought was a bad wall plug/source electrical issues turned out to be bad chargers, i.e. the chargers would die soon after the mayhem started.
    07-26-15 09:29 AM
    The "pogo pins" on the charging dock need to be cleaned every once in a while.
    If they don't have good contact pressure, it will show charging, but no current going through.
    Dust collects and gets trapped/drops down into the pins. use a wooden toothpick to flex/compress the pins, and even a little "Zep-Elec" contact cleaner. easy peasy......
    And the charge cradle is not magnetic, the only one that is is the rapid charger.....
    Well i do have the rapid charger since it does indeed have magnets. I'll try cleaning the pins and see if that helps.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-15 09:49 PM
    I've had this issue a number of times with the OEM chargers. What I once thought was a bad wall plug/source electrical issues turned out to be bad chargers, i.e. the chargers would die soon after the mayhem started.
    I am now thinking that the charger that came with my playbook has gone bad also since it used to charge my z10 with no problems nowadays it takes several attempt just to make a connection with my z10.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-15 09:52 PM