I, like everybody else suffered through spare batteries and battery pull because of the lack of RAM on the 9900. Bought a Classic on launch day, took me a month to get use to the BB10 but now that I have adapted I love it. I working 2 days a week in the automotive industry and my hands are dirty half the time. I didn't want to take a chance of destroying the keyboard so I activated my 9900.

I almost forgot how nice this phone is for texting, emails and calling. It is also so compact and light compared to the Classic.

Anyone else using the 9900 as a backup?
    idssteve, rayporsche and iRetired like this.
    05-30-15 12:37 AM
    Same here, P9983 as main device and 9900 as main backup along a Z10 and a Q10...oh and a 9000 as night clock...

Posted via P9983
    Mr4aces likes this.
    05-30-15 05:01 AM
    Yep. I've been back & forth & up & down with this. Currently I'd have to say my 99 is more daily driver & Classic is more backup but that was different last week and might change again next week. Mostly depends on nature of active projects. I carry both every chance I get but, sometimes, I'm too active & too impatient to wait for Classic to charge. Every night this week I've left Classic charging at the desk and simply swapped batts in 99 & CONFIDENTLY headed home. Just too impatient & tired to wait for Classic to charge adequately b4 heading home. My experience THIS week. .

Other weeks I've used them side by side, one in each hand (both are single handed friendly). 99 pretty much texts co-workers. Classic mostly clients. Sometimes "internal dialogue" best kept "in house". Lol.

99's been getting more & more troublesome for surf. EBay is now threatening to shut down "legacy" June 1, I believe. Paypal is already troublesome for 99. Classic surfing is a joy, in comparison.

Classic "gains weight" as hands tire by day's end. Stupid fixed battery is forced to be larger since it can't be swapped mid day. Larger batts add weight. Oh well. We tried to warn them. Lol.
    Last edited by idssteve; 05-30-15 at 07:34 AM.
    Mr4aces and rayporsche like this.
    05-30-15 06:52 AM
    Idssteve

Have you dropped the Classic?

For some reason I have dropped this phone more times in the past 6 month than any phone I've ever owned.

Yes it took a while to get use to the weight.

I actually could have sold this phone, but decided to keep it.

Still a good phone for messaging and emails. And the spell check works better in OS7

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 05-30-15 at 11:12 AM.
    05-30-15 10:35 AM
    Idssteve

Have you dropped the Classic?

For some reason I have dropped this phone more times in the past 6 month than any phone I've ever owned.

Yes it took a while to get use to the weight.

I actually could have sold this phone, but decided to keep it.

Still a good phone for messaging and emails. And the spell check works better in OS7

Posted via CB10
    It hasn't slipped from my hand but my crew seems to be dropping their Classics more than with 99s. Classics seem to survive ok. We've only sent one Classic back, tho, & don't attribute its problems to dropping.

Classic's size, weight, etc leave it feeling less secure in hand than 99. Those with smaller hands seem to complain most. Still, Classic's the SECOND best single hander. . Second place behind 9900 is not a bad place to be.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    05-30-15 11:45 AM
    It hasn't slipped from my hand but my crew seems to be dropping their Classics more than with 99s. Classics seem to survive ok. We've only sent one Classic back, tho, & don't attribute its problems to dropping.

Classic's size, weight, etc leave it feeling less secure in hand than 99. Those with smaller hands seem to complain most. Still, Classic's the SECOND best single hander. . Second place behind 9900 is not a bad place to be.
    I have small hands so the weight puts the phone unblanced when reaching for the "q" letter.

1 day into activating this phone and feels nice.

For work I can see your company using both phones.

DO NOT try to use a SIM card adapter to use a nano SIM card. I destroyed the Z10 tiring to get the adapter out.
    05-30-15 11:52 AM
    I have small hands so the weight puts the phone unblanced when reaching for the "q" letter.

1 day into activating this phone and feels nice.

For work I can see your company using both phones.

DO NOT try to use a SIM card adapter to use a nano SIM card. I destroyed the Z10 tiring to get the adapter out.
    10-4 on the nano SIM.

I really like the two devices together. With both, you're pretty well covered no matter what. 99's days are numbered so I'll get by ok on the Classic when the day comes but... 99 feels SO relaxing, comforting, even inviting, at the end of a hard day.
    iRetired and wilber1 like this.
    05-30-15 03:52 PM
    See my sig.
    idssteve likes this.
    05-30-15 07:24 PM
    I recently after reverting from the Q10 back to my 9900, retired my 9900 for my BlackBerry Classic. I do have my 9900 shelved and on standby for those 'as needed' moments however... The 9900 )very much like the 9000, 9700 and 9780) is a beast... one that has served me well. Honestly, outside of circa 2005 where else can you find devices that last a full year let alone a handful of years? Once you go Bold there is no looking back. The only security and comfort i've felt since BlackBerry switched from legacy to OS10 is what i've found whilst bonding with my Classic. I only need one device, but the 9900 is nearby in case I feel nostalgic...

Posted via CB10
    idssteve, donemt and Mr4aces like this.
    05-31-15 07:16 AM
    I'm too active & too impatient to wait for Classic to charge. Every night this week I've left Classic charging at the desk and simply swapped batts in 99 & CONFIDENTLY headed home. Just too impatient & tired to wait for Classic to charge adequately b4 heading home. My experience THIS week. .
    Get a PlayBook charger for your Classic or any micro USB charger putting out at least 2 Amps.

Will make a world of difference to the charge times, the BlackBerry supplied chargers with the phones are too cheap and puny.

Posted from the CB10 app on my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-2/10.3.1.2576 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.5.6
    idssteve and Mr4aces like this.
    05-31-15 07:52 AM
    Get a PlayBook charger for your Classic or any micro USB charger putting out at least 2 Amps.

Will make a world of difference to the charge times, the BlackBerry supplied chargers with the phones are too cheap and puny.

Posted from the CB10 app on my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-2/10.3.1.2576 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.5.6
    ++10 for Playbook "yellow tails"!! We use them for EVERYthing.

My usual routine has been to put the Classic on charge for about 10 minutes while cleaning up & preparing to head home for the day. Generally good enough to get home on IF i didn't get a call before getting home... OR if i didn't meet the wife for dinner after work, etc. Also swap batt and carry the 99 backup and have USED the 99 several critical times.

Yes, i know, if i plug the thing in EVERY break and lunch and carry a monster sized external batt pack AND keep that battpack AND its spares charged and KNOW they're truly charged and somehow outguess the true recovery and endurance that battpack will provide THIS time, i can MAKE it work.

This past week, after long hard days, i just didn't "feel" like waiting 10 minutes. I've just locked charging Classic in desk, swapped batt in 99 in about 10 seconds, holstered it, and felt the reassuring vibe that it was on the job before reaching the bus. I simply LIKE that scenario better. Especially when fatigued.

I'll MAKE do with Classic's fixed batt once 99 becomes unusable but till then, my 99 stays handy.
    05-31-15 09:15 AM
    I recently after reverting from the Q10 back to my 9900, retired my 9900 for my BlackBerry Classic. I do have my 9900 shelved and on standby for those 'as needed' moments however... The 9900 )very much like the 9000, 9700 and 9780) is a beast... one that has served me well. Honestly, outside of circa 2005 where else can you find devices that last a full year let alone a handful of years? Once you go Bold there is no looking back. The only security and comfort i've felt since BlackBerry switched from legacy to OS10 is what i've found whilst bonding with my Classic. I only need one device, but the 9900 is nearby in case I feel nostalgic...

Posted via CB10
    Very much agree. Just a single clarification because i keep feeling stereotyped by quite a few others around here as "nostalgic". I also went from 9900 to Z10 (9 months), Q10 (3months), and back to 9900 for almost another year until Classic. Still carry and use 9900 as backup for Classic. No "nostalgia" involved. If feeling "nostalgic" i'll go ride my old 28 Harley JD, or my 58 BSA Rocket Gold Star, or play with some of my vintage Marconi keys... I, for one, harbor zero "nostalgia" for a 4 year old cell phone. There are jobs Classic is best suited for. There are jobs 9900 is best suited for. It really is just that simple. Your mileage probably varies and that's perfectly OK and as it should be. Diversity is a wondrous thing!
    donemt, rayporsche and jrsva2008 like this.
    05-31-15 10:14 AM
    I, for one, harbor zero "nostalgia" for a 4 year old cell phone. There are jobs Classic is best suited for. There are jobs 9900 is best suited for. It really is just that simple. Your mileage probably varies and that's perfectly OK and as it should be. Diversity is a wondrous thing!
    By 'nostalgic' I mean precisely what you've implied RE: the 9900 is better suited for some tasks vs another. (Tasks that other devices pushed aside years ago to make way for their endless plethora of apps and novelty functions. Hence Legacy BlackBerrys holding firm onto the days a powerhouse user reminisces on and perpetually longs for in today's modern devices... While BlackBerry attempts to keep this legacy alive, it holds noticeable shortcomings in OS10. They try to give us our cake so we can eat it too, but it feels more like we're given a cupcake than the legit slice of CAKE OS 7.1 and earlier held... That is the 'nostalgia' I speak of...)

For example, if I'm in need of compression and BIS the 9900 is there to shine! (No doubt the 9900 will be my travel phone) Also the removable battery comes in handy in more ways than one. I am keeping my 9900 on standby... It still holds some practical value for me, but I will admit it also holds some emotionally value as well. The Classic does, however, handle the urge to Be Bold as far as a 'nostalgic' design goes 100%... Far better than the pseudo-Bold nonsense the Q10 attempted to pass off initially... Some designs truly are "Classic"...

Posted via CB10
    05-31-15 11:03 AM
    I couldn't let go of my 9900 2 months ago either. To much history. Ex wives and girl friend you let go, the Bold you keep. I

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 06-01-15 at 07:09 PM.
    05-31-15 02:39 PM
    By 'nostalgic' I mean precisely what you've implied RE: the 9900 is better suited for some tasks vs another. (Tasks that other devices pushed aside years ago to make way for their endless plethora of apps and novelty functions. Hence Legacy BlackBerrys holding firm onto the days a powerhouse user reminisces on and perpetually longs for in today's modern devices... While BlackBerry attempts to keep this legacy alive, it holds noticeable shortcomings in OS10. They try to give us our cake so we can eat it too, but it feels more like we're given a cupcake than the legit slice of CAKE OS 7.1 and earlier held... That is the 'nostalgia' I speak of...)

For example, if I'm in need of compression and BIS the 9900 is there to shine! (No doubt the 9900 will be my travel phone) Also the removable battery comes in handy in more ways than one. I am keeping my 9900 on standby... It still holds some practical value for me, but I will admit it also holds some emotionally value as well. The Classic does, however, handle the urge to Be Bold as far as a 'nostalgic' design goes 100%... Far better than the pseudo-Bold nonsense the Q10 attempted to pass off initially... Some designs truly are "Classic"...

Posted via CB10
    Yep, well said. Figured that's what you meant. Just clarifying to get the jump on "the usual suspects" who'll inevitably drive by with condescending remarks about "dinosaurs" and "obsolescence" and "living in the past".... lol

I guess the thing i had to ultimately accept is that the company that made our 9900s is LONG gone. BBRY is an entirely different company selling an entirely different product. Only the name printed on the device is the same.

It's too obvious that the QNX-BB10 team knew next to nothing about how BBOS's UI worked and equally obvious that they didn't care to know. I, for one, haven't seen evidence that they even had any smart phone experience at all. Sort of like if GM purchased Peterbilt and then put Peterbilt engineers to designing next year's Corvette. All while locking the door so that the existing Corvette engineers have zero input. Next year's Vette releases with Chevy and Corvette printed all over it, and even a Corvette steering wheel, but the actual machine looks and works suspiciously like a PeterB 386!! A fine machine for its intended purpose but it's NO Vette... lol.

Classic is a fine machine for its intended purpose but it's NO 9900... lol
    Last edited by idssteve; 05-31-15 at 08:25 PM.
    05-31-15 08:05 PM
    QNX-Apple-Samsung design for next year's Vette... Lol
    Bold 9900 to Classic. Now I have them both activated. 9900 as backup?-qnx-20corvette.jpg

After a hard day operating THAT, my "old fashioned obsolete dinosaur" Vette feels pretty good for the drive home. Nice to have BOTH...
    Mr4aces and rayporsche like this.
    06-01-15 06:31 AM
    10-4 on the nano SIM.

I really like the two devices together. With both, you're pretty well covered no matter what. 99's days are numbered so I'll get by ok on the Classic when the day comes but... 99 feels SO relaxing, comforting, even inviting, at the end of a hard day.
    How do you guys keep swapping from Classic back to 9900 without using an adapter for nano .??
    06-01-15 07:33 AM
    ₹m,@.@.'&&z@
    M@,.m₹.,.,@mm.bz@
    Bold 9900 to Classic. Now I have them both activated. 9900 as backup?-img_20150527_104518.jpg@)8:[email protected]
    06-01-15 08:49 AM
    How do you guys keep swapping from Classic back to 9900 without using an adapter for nano .??
    We've used the adapter but... it's spooky. I, myself, rarely swap devices. Management happily pays for all the lines we want so most of my work devices are continuously activated with their own number and *72 is ingrained into muscle memory. POP is shared and SMS is forwarded via app and to email. Data is shared with 9900s thru DropBox. Naturally BB10 has better solutions for that but DropBox gets the job done on 99. Right now, most clients have my Classic number and coworkers universally use 9900 number. Company operator is pretty efficient at getting to us one way or another.
    06-01-15 09:08 AM
    I tried to use an adapter on my Z10 so I could swap SIMs. Used a billet aluminum adapter when I pulled it out the adapter got stuck and torn one of the pins.

I think if I had it to do again I would just place the nano SIM in the correct spot.

Or you can cut the micro SIM down to a nano by using an adapter as a template.

I have the 9900 on a separate line.

Posted via CB10
    idssteve likes this.
    06-01-15 09:20 AM
    I have a plastic adapter with the top portion cut, and permanently left in 9900. Easy to insert/pull out the nano SIM. If the adapter had to be pulled out, make sure to insert a SIM and carefully pull them together to ride over SIM pins.
    Mr4aces and idssteve like this.
    06-01-15 09:58 AM
    I have a plastic adapter with the top portion cut, and permanently left in 9900. Easy to insert/pull out the nano SIM. If the adapter had to be pulled out, make sure to insert a SIM and carefully pull them together to ride over SIM pins.
    Great advise to cut the top of the adapter off.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 12:18 PM
    *228 - Option 1 then answer the questions to activate my 9930 on VZW...When I get bored a day later I go online to VZW and chat with a rep; give them the IMEI, ICCID and phone number and ask them to swap for me...takes on a few minutes. I change phones several times during the day/week.
    Mr4aces, donemt and idssteve like this.
    06-01-15 12:48 PM
    Ok.
    So ebay is not working?
    I saw that for the blackberry bold 9900 the ebay website says it won't. Support it anymore.
    Is this a trend?
    I like the bold 9900 andd the classic, but I just can't handle the lagginess of the classic. To me it needs to be phone like passport. Super quick, smooth, real nice. But it seems like the classic is. Trying to keep up with everything I do.
    06-03-15 05:31 PM
    Ok.
    So ebay is not working?
    I saw that for the blackberry bold 9900 the ebay website says it won't. Support it anymore.
    Is this a trend?
    I like the bold 9900 andd the classic, but I just can't handle the lagginess of the classic. To me it needs to be phone like passport. Super quick, smooth, real nice. But it seems like the classic is. Trying to keep up with everything I do.
    Are you on a Beta OS?
    06-03-15 08:41 PM
30 12