How your old cell phone can bring your company down - The Economic Times

Above article link quotes some research that demean BB specifically. As a customer, loyal fan, just a reader, I want BB to issue an statement if its true and BB's security is compromised?

I am sad at what all is being directed towards BB without even getting it confirmed or informing the company.
    05-26-15 07:19 AM
    No mention of which devices. Also doesn't mention how older iPhones could also be responsible as well.

Posted via CB Z30
    05-26-15 07:35 AM
    It is about old Android devices...
    05-26-15 07:41 AM
    BlackBerry Corporate should come out and clear this mess. As you read the article, it just says blackberry phones!
    You have to be on the look out for other sources.
    This trashing of BB must be stop. Use it as an advertising tool and turn the tables on them. Where is the marketing people (still MIA)
    05-26-15 09:15 AM
    In this "study" (ha!), they admit that 91% of the devices they purchased were essentially given to them with ZERO effort to delete the old data, and, surprise surprise, they could get data from them. Well, DUH! It makes no difference who makes your phone - if you hand someone your old unencrypted phone, they can pull data off of it. Is anyone really shocked?

All this article says is that people should not sell their devices if they contain sensitive data without doing a thorough security wipe first. This isn't news to any IT person anywhere.
    Uzi, mycj7 and techvisor like this.
    05-26-15 09:48 AM
    In this "study" (ha!), they admit that 91% of the devices they purchased were essentially given to them with ZERO effort to delete the old data, and, surprise surprise, they could get data from them. Well, DUH! It makes no difference who makes your phone - if you hand someone your old unencrypted phone, they can pull data off of it. Is anyone really shocked?

All this article says is that people should not sell their devices if they contain sensitive data without doing a thorough security wipe first. This isn't news to any IT person anywhere.
    Lol true
    You must wipe your phone before sell it and I'm confidence after you wipe your BlackBerry nothing can be recover as far as I know

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.680
    05-26-15 09:51 AM
    It's a click bait article and nothing more. BlackBerry has nothing to respond to.

"The objective was to evaluate the risks companies could potentially face due to improper disposal of enterprise storage devices and how forensic data recovery procedures are capable of retrieving confidential data that could compromise organizations"

If a company can't manage to dispose of devices in a proper manner then that's their issue, not the manufacturer of the device.
    thymaster and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    05-26-15 10:03 AM
    My wife's old pearl had a cracked screen so I wiped it then removed from battery and soaked it in salt water. Any power to it and poof

Posted via CB10
    05-27-15 09:13 PM
    My wife's old pearl had a cracked screen so I wiped it then removed from battery and soaked it in salt water. Any power to it and poof

Posted via CB10
    Was she a drug lord or something?

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.680
    05-27-15 09:23 PM
    I read this article today: http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techno...id=mailsignout

This one talks about how even after a "factory reset" your phone may still have important information on it due to the way flash memory works. They specifically talk about Android, and how iPhones already make an effort to prevent the security problem. No mention of BlackBerry.

I wonder if the security wipe on BlackBerry is enough to prevent any one from extracting any info from a phone's memory.

The article recommends encrypting your device before a factory reset. That way any info left in the memory will be encrypted anyways.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-15 01:43 PM
    I read this article today: http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techno...id=mailsignout

This one talks about how even after a "factory reset" your phone may still have important information on it due to the way flash memory works. They specifically talk about Android, and how iPhones already make an effort to prevent the security problem. No mention of BlackBerry.

I wonder if the security wipe on BlackBerry is enough to prevent any one from extracting any info from a phone's memory.

The article recommends encrypting your device before a factory reset. That way any info left in the memory will be encrypted anyways.

Posted via CB10
    A factory reset on android takes 5 minutes, while a BlackBerry security wipe could take a whole day...
    Go figure

Posted via CB10
    05-28-15 01:51 PM
    A factory reset on android takes 5 minutes, while a BlackBerry security wipe could take a whole day...
    Go figure

Posted via CB10
    And a multi wipe, I did that once and that was more than enough

Posted via CB10
    05-28-15 06:01 PM
    Good reason to use iOS over Android. And BB10 over the both of them.

How is Windows Phone?

Posted via CB10
    05-29-15 12:22 PM