Don't know if anyone has experienced this one.

I decided to do something different in my overnight charging routine last night. I powered off my Z30 (Verizon) completely and then plugged it in. Normally I leave it on during charging. I got the lightning bolt on the screen and it faded out rather quickly. Then the yellow notification light did it's "pulse" thing to show it was charging.

This morning the notification light was green, I unplugged it and tried to power it on. Nothing appeared on screen. I held the button down longer and got the red notification light, but still nothing on screen. I decided to wait and two minutes later I received audible & physical (vibration) notification that the phone was on. Still nothing on the screen. The red light was flashing as if I had new messages. Basically the phone is on, but the screen isn't working. However...

I attempted to call my phone and it rang as it should. I tapped the screen around where the disable notification is located and the ringer turned off! I decided to slide to answer in the general area of where the icons should be, and it picked up the call! After hanging up I decided to unlock and try my password. Obviously I can't see the keyboard, but pressing keys in the keyboard area does give the audio feedback that it normally does. So from what I can gather, the touchscreen works, but the LEDs died? Blackberry Blend also works, so I can see my files and messages, but the screen is just completely dark.

Since the battery is non-removable I've only been able to try turning it off, removing the SIM & SD cards, turning it back on, plugging it in and trying again, etc etc... The battery is fine, everything seems fine, just no LED action. I'm going to try to go to the VZW store to get it replaced, but I thought I'd check here in case anyone had some ideas about how to get the screen on again. Thanks!
    05-23-15 01:44 PM
    Before taking that last step to your local Verizon store I would wipe the phone and try to reinstall the OS (or new version) OS one last time to make sure your problem is a hardware issue. The autoloader route would probably be the fastest. Good luck.

BlackBerry... Now and Forever.
    joewebb1 likes this.
    05-23-15 01:51 PM
    Thank you. I will try BB Link for the wipe and see what happens! Or does the autoloader wipe as well? Can't remember
    05-23-15 02:00 PM
    Thank you. I will try BB Link for the wipe and see what happens! Or does the autoloader wipe as well? Can't remember
    Autoloader wipes too.
    joewebb1 likes this.
    05-23-15 02:04 PM
    Well, I attempted an autoloader but, no dice. I backed up everything through BBLink and then ran the 10.3.1.2726 autoloader. It reset more times than I remember it doing initially, but eventually loaded everything. After the final reboot I got this message from Windows:
    Z30 screen "mostly" dead, but slightly alive-2015-05-23-13_03_17-.png
    which I can only assume means that the phone is sitting at the initial setup screen (Swipe left to continue and all that) but I can't see it because the screen is dark.

Thanks for the suggestions, but it looks like I'm off to replacement land. Anyone want to place bets on whether or not the Verizon store has a Z30 in stock? Hahaha
    05-23-15 03:07 PM
    You did everything correctly, too bad you couldn't see it..lol. The final step would have been to unplug the phone from the computer to complete the initial setup on the phone.

Maybe it's just the screen that needs to be replaced? I've seen YouTube videos on how to do this, it's pretty straight forward assuming you can find the correct screen. Again, good luck.

BlackBerry... Now and Forever.
    05-23-15 05:15 PM
    Strange, same thing happened to me today too. I turned it off and charged it. I picked it up tried to turn on. Red light came on. No start up screen. Just pressed the button about 30 times here and there. Long press short press etc. All of a sudden the screen is on and it is already booted up. Didn't show the boot up screen. I'm on the latest 10.3.1 leak so I wonder if you are too. I think I'm going to avoid charging it when it is turned off from now on.
    joewebb1 likes this.
    05-23-15 09:36 PM
    Have you tried a software reload with Link? How long has the phone been in service? It is possible that deep cycling the battery was too much for it and now it can't take a load. Also do you have a micro HDMI cable to hook to a screen and see if it can display on there? If so and it does run BBVE.

Posted via Z30
    joewebb1 likes this.
    05-24-15 10:27 AM
    This has happened to one of my Z30s after a drop. I hooked it up to HDMI out on the TV to navigate the OS and ended up wiping the phone. I had bought another that I used for a week before cracking that screen then got another and that's all good (bought them all on sale).

Right now I have a white Z30 with black replaced screen and a spare mint condition. I also have one with a cracked/dead screen sitting back in its box. It was still showing on my BBID and I wanted it off so I used the HDMI to wipe it. It still shows on my BBID which I was told would happen unless someone else logs in with their BBID even though I'm logged out.

I did remove it manually from BlackBerry Protect. Interestingly, the original launch Verizon Z30 I gave to my sister was still on my BlackBerry Protect and removed that as well. Thought that was odd since we wiped it and she logged in to her ID. Thought about messing with her (jokingly) and see if I could get it to ring or write something funny lol.

Anyway, I guess my only point is the HDMI out works well if you want to wipe it or whatever using the TV as a guide. If you replace the screen it should be fine as well. Have replaced the Z30 screen more than I wanted to! It's actually very simple and straightforward. About a 10 minute job the first time you do it.

I posted this link in another thread as I bought from them. They increased the price on the GSM model, but it comes with the T4 needed and some other tools as well so it's a one shot buy if interested. Not sure which model you have, but I'll post the links...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00PKZ...UvbUpU11659959

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00Q80...UvbUpU11659959

Posted via CB10
    joewebb1 likes this.
    05-24-15 10:28 AM
    Wow, I really wish I would have thought of the HDMI thing before I wiped the phone. Thank you for that suggestion! I will try it and, if it works, download the virtual expert to see if it passes the tests.

Verizon, of course, did not have BB's in the store. Because of the holiday weekend I won't get my replacement until Thursday! Yikes

EDIT: I realized I did not answer a few questions. No, I did not try reloading the sotware through Link. I did use Link to backup everything, but I ran the autoloader to load the software. I can try that.
    The phone has been in service for exactly 6 months. Never a problem until Saturday morning.

The battery seems fine. The HDMI cable was a success. I could see everything and finsh setup. Typing is odd but I was able to get through it. The device "passed" all of the BBVE tests through HDMI but of course nothing still shows up on the screen...
    Last edited by joewebb1; 05-25-15 at 04:45 PM.
    05-25-15 04:16 PM