Just a question I wanted to know. If BlackBerry does not come out with an all touch screen phone like the z30 in the next 9 to13 months, would you consider migrating to a windows phone?.

I'd like to hear your thoughts

Posted via CB10
    05-13-15 07:48 PM
    Hell no
    05-13-15 08:04 PM
    No, I have owned a Nokia Lumia 920, not using windows phone again. Windows forces you to store your calendar in the cloud, no thank you. I will use BlackBerry till the end, then if they are sold, will move to ios, considering I have been a mac user for 17 years.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-15 08:05 PM
    Keep an open mind, and see what Windows 10 brings to the table. If it can run android and IOS apps, could be worth a look.

Z30 / STA100-5 /10.3.1.1784 (no more double-typing Q10).
    05-13-15 08:19 PM
    Tried a WinPhone my coworker just moved off of, it was a BLU. It seemed OK, but it was a garish bright yellow phone. Only tried it for a little while but after finding myself constantly swiping up on the screen and expecting it to do something, I realized I wasn't interested in tackling the learning curve of a new phone OS.

I( just paid off my Z10 and it is working well for me, so I'm going to hold tight with what I got for now.
    05-13-15 08:20 PM
    No to Windows after Lumia 920. It was a good phone though. If no all touch  comes out it means (at least I'd settle so in my mind) that  Z30 is still the high end BlackBerry touch phone.

 Z30
    05-13-15 08:20 PM
    I would stay with BlackBerry to the bitter end and then, given that Microsoft has surprisingly become the lesser of three evils, give Windows phone a go...
    NYTOC83 and dragon1234 like this.
    05-13-15 08:27 PM
    Windows would likely be my choice if BlackBerry were to go under. However, I'm going to own a BlackBerry until they no longer produce devices.

Posted via CB10
    Miss_Hawkins likes this.
    05-13-15 08:38 PM
    Same here. I get annoyed with Apple's policies. Hell even their password process drives me crazy.
    Android just felt like it's being run by childish techies. It just started feeling too juvenile from Hangouts to the bubbly UI, to Inbox. I don't need a cutsie OS, I need an OS that is hassle free and is a work machine. Windows would certainly get my business if BlackBerry went under.
    However, if no more touch devices are released, I would either stay with the Z30 till it dies or wait for a sequel to the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    Miss_Hawkins and Jrox74 like this.
    05-13-15 09:01 PM
    No. There is no need for me to move from my Z30. Z30 is all I need.
    peter0328 likes this.
    05-13-15 09:06 PM
    Nope. Going from my Z10 to a Passport next week then will see about that slider.

Posted via CB10
    sonicpix likes this.
    05-13-15 09:14 PM
    No to Windows after Lumia 920. It was a good phone though. If no all touch  comes out it means (at least I'd settle so in my mind) that  Z30 is still the high end BlackBerry touch phone.

 Z30
    I agree, it was a good phone overall, but, there were some annoying things that I couldn't stand. Calendar, windows id and a few others.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-15 09:34 PM
    Just a question I wanted to know. If BlackBerry does not come out with an all touch screen phone like the z30 in the next 9 to13 months, would you consider migrating to a windows phone?.

I'd like to hear your thoughts

Posted via CB10
    You know what mate, I went from Z10 to Z30 back in 2013 and had that Z30 from December 2013 to this very month.

Ah-ha!!!! says I...

I watched many videos online anywhere and everywhere... even forums on here. I came across the Lumia 830 and man was I surprised when started to compare the insides of the Windows Nokia Lumia 830 to that of the BlackBerry Passport. I couldn't believe how similar internally the devices were, the Lumia has 3 different camera's each using different lenses of what is built-in depending on what you need it to do and how you'd like it to perform. The quality ... oh wait, oddly enough, I just texted a message to someone and found out (self-discovery moment) that I could swipe across the screen (not great but eh', does not beat the Z30 which I miss using).

What I find unique about using the Lumia 830 is that when I get home, I don't have to turn on my all-in-one computer to check e-mails or favourite sites, I don't even have to save movies or files to an SD card or even songs and ringtones. Everything is on my OneDrive which allows me to use a higher storage SD card to hold games I download or apps. The playback quality feels like true-HD ... no that's a lie, it's more like a "liquid" feel when I was watching Big Hero 6 this afternoon at my Doctors office (felt like Imax quality).

I am still getting used to the whole functionality of the phone after 5 days, it does slip out of my hand and feels unusual but that's just because of the form-factor/design. I was hesitant to leave BlackBerry for anything but, and here I am quite happy and curious at the same time because Windows 10 will be coming to the Lumia 830 as per the new press release today.

The only negative I have is the battery life, this is not a daily driver-type device to get work done neither is it great for gaming. It's a mid-entry level device for not so heavy usage. Although I do not play any games (still using my Z30 off home wi-fi for games).. having a Windows phone takes away from having to use energy in my opinion. Since having this phone, I have only twice now including typing this message since Saturday, turned my computer on for any other purpose than to perhaps watch something on tvmuse. I almost forgot that I even had a computer each day I have come home this week, I love that I can download and transfer files back and forth without really having to turn on my computer.

In all honesty, I miss how the BlackBerry Z30 felt like an extension of my mind and body; there is a unique connection I want and I will get it back when I purchase the BlackBerry Slider which will be my main phone. Initially I had been using both Z30 and Lumia 830 but the sim card adapter upon ejection from the Z30 broke as it pulled out two little gold parts, which now, the phone isn't able to read anything.

One of the best things I found is this, Cortana is so incredibly accurate and precise word for word, much quicker than BlackBerry and oh so impressive. Something I just used this evening while in the living room as "Denim" was updating for Lumia Camera, is a feature called "Lumia Moment" or something like that.. it's used for recording videos where you hold down the camera on-screen button and the video begins to run until you let-go, the video ends the recording as you've simply captured the "moment". I am not a fan however of the home screen breaking up my photo for display, the lock-screen does show it, and it is something that takes getting used to.

If you're looking for a really great experience of a Windows device, I say give the Lumia 830 a chance. I'd be more than happy to answer any questions and help you out. It's Windows' most recent phone and honestly, I thought I was going to be disappointed BiG TiME. I am and have always been a Windows user, this "extension" of the Lumia 830 really gives me more time away from sitting at my computer. I enjoy being able to read in bed at 3am and check out a document or edit a song I wrote or simply do anything I would do on my computer. On the Blackberry Z30, when I watched Jays games for "gameday" it never showed everything or anywhere near what I would view on my PC. Monday night I opened Gameday and watch the plays seamlessly on my Lumia 830, the display and screen gave me everything I would get and the playback videos were awesome.

I am totally rambling on with nothing left to say... I will surely post a photo comparison of the Z30 and the Lumia 830.
    05-13-15 11:33 PM
    BlackBerry z30 then windows?-wp_20150510_17_47_06_pro.jpgBlackBerry z30 then windows?-wp_20150511_13_09_56_pro.jpg
    These two are from yesterday and Monday using the Windows Nokia Lumia 830 under the Lumia Camera app and not the regular camera lens.
    BlackBerry z30 then windows?-img_00000272_edit.jpgBlackBerry z30 then windows?-img_20140519_132348_edit.jpg
    These two were taken in Markham (the Winter one is from the Winter storm we had in 2013) whilst the other is from Spencerville just East of Toronto towards Ottawa.

See the difference for yourselves
    devin266 likes this.
    05-13-15 11:44 PM
    You know what mate, I went from Z10 to Z30 back in 2013 and had that Z30 from December 2013 to this very month.

Ah-ha!!!! says I...

I watched many videos online anywhere and everywhere... even forums on here. I came across the Lumia 830 and man was I surprised when started to compare the insides of the Windows Nokia Lumia 830 to that of the BlackBerry Passport. I couldn't believe how similar internally the devices were, the Lumia has 3 different camera's each using different lenses of what is built-in depending on what you need it to do and how you'd like it to perform. The quality ... oh wait, oddly enough, I just texted a message to someone and found out (self-discovery moment) that I could swipe across the screen (not great but eh', does not beat the Z30 which I miss using).

What I find unique about using the Lumia 830 is that when I get home, I don't have to turn on my all-in-one computer to check e-mails or favourite sites, I don't even have to save movies or files to an SD card or even songs and ringtones. Everything is on my OneDrive which allows me to use a higher storage SD card to hold games I download or apps. The playback quality feels like true-HD ... no that's a lie, it's more like a "liquid" feel when I was watching Big Hero 6 this afternoon at my Doctors office (felt like Imax quality).

I am still getting used to the whole functionality of the phone after 5 days, it does slip out of my hand and feels unusual but that's just because of the form-factor/design. I was hesitant to leave BlackBerry for anything but, and here I am quite happy and curious at the same time because Windows 10 will be coming to the Lumia 830 as per the new press release today.

The only negative I have is the battery life, this is not a daily driver-type device to get work done neither is it great for gaming. It's a mid-entry level device for not so heavy usage. Although I do not play any games (still using my Z30 off home wi-fi for games).. having a Windows phone takes away from having to use energy in my opinion. Since having this phone, I have only twice now including typing this message since Saturday, turned my computer on for any other purpose than to perhaps watch something on tvmuse. I almost forgot that I even had a computer each day I have come home this week, I love that I can download and transfer files back and forth without really having to turn on my computer.

In all honesty, I miss how the BlackBerry Z30 felt like an extension of my mind and body; there is a unique connection I want and I will get it back when I purchase the BlackBerry Slider which will be my main phone. Initially I had been using both Z30 and Lumia 830 but the sim card adapter upon ejection from the Z30 broke as it pulled out two little gold parts, which now, the phone isn't able to read anything.

One of the best things I found is this, Cortana is so incredibly accurate and precise word for word, much quicker than BlackBerry and oh so impressive. Something I just used this evening while in the living room as "Denim" was updating for Lumia Camera, is a feature called "Lumia Moment" or something like that.. it's used for recording videos where you hold down the camera on-screen button and the video begins to run until you let-go, the video ends the recording as you've simply captured the "moment". I am not a fan however of the home screen breaking up my photo for display, the lock-screen does show it, and it is something that takes getting used to.

If you're looking for a really great experience of a Windows device, I say give the Lumia 830 a chance. I'd be more than happy to answer any questions and help you out. It's Windows' most recent phone and honestly, I thought I was going to be disappointed BiG TiME. I am and have always been a Windows user, this "extension" of the Lumia 830 really gives me more time away from sitting at my computer. I enjoy being able to read in bed at 3am and check out a document or edit a song I wrote or simply do anything I would do on my computer. On the Blackberry Z30, when I watched Jays games for "gameday" it never showed everything or anywhere near what I would view on my PC. Monday night I opened Gameday and watch the plays seamlessly on my Lumia 830, the display and screen gave me everything I would get and the playback videos were awesome.

I am totally rambling on with nothing left to say... I will surely post a photo comparison of the Z30 and the Lumia 830.
    Very detailed! Loved it.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-15 01:46 PM
    No, I have owned a Nokia Lumia 920, not using windows phone again. Windows forces you to store your calendar in the cloud, no thank you. I will use BlackBerry till the end, then if they are sold, will move to ios, considering I have been a mac user for 17 years.

Posted via CB10
    That's one thing I dislike about windows. Storing calender in the cloud! So much for privacy and integration and blah blah blah

Posted via CB10
    05-14-15 01:47 PM
    That's one thing I dislike about windows. Storing calender in the cloud! So much for privacy and integration and blah blah blah

Posted via CB10
    That was the determining factor in selling the phone. I don't use any cloud services for contacts and calendar. Why is there no local calendar storage, doesn't make any sense.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-15 02:35 PM
    That was the determining factor in selling the phone. I don't use any cloud services for contacts and calendar. Why is there no local calendar storage, doesn't make any sense.

Posted via CB10
    I used windows lumia 930 and I was glad to see the back of it. The battery wasn't that great, and for a flagship, it sure did overheat much. It was a hand held heater for the winter months. I hated cloud integration into the most useful of features on a phone such as calender. I never agreed with people when they said windows phone is like a rubixcube for older people. The coloured tiles, though juvenile, I didn't mind much. What I did hate was the inability to swipe like I do on my beloved BlackBerry.

I lid like it when Nokia owned windows however now not so much. I can't imagine being without my BlackBerry but if the thought ever crossed my mind, I just realised, I'd have no other os to turn to ha!!

Posted via CB10
    05-14-15 03:02 PM
    I'm considering a Win10 phone as BB10.3.1 has ruined my Q10 (I need to roll it back to 10.2.1).

Depending on what BlackBerry does with BB10.3.1 or 10.4.

Still not thrilled by OS to OS integration. I prefer my mobile device to be autonomous and only connected to my computer through shared cloud services like Outlook ActiveSync.

Posted via CB10
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    05-14-15 03:47 PM
    Had a Lumia 830 for about 6 weeks in February this year. The OS is fragmented, there is no flow between different tasks. The notification system is like something from a late 90s smartphone - there is a single, generic 'envelope' icon which appears at the top of the screen and it rapidly becomes impossible to keep track of notifications. On the plus side, the cameras are amazing. Cortana works well. But that's pretty much it. The handset design looks good (nice matte aluminium frame) but is poor mechanically - I dropped it from height in the first fortnight, which I never did with any of my BlackBerrys. The back panel was cheap, hard, slippy plastic. Have seen the previews of Windows 10 for phones, and that looks much the same. Avoid.

Posted via CB10
    joewoo likes this.
    05-15-15 04:59 PM

Ah-ha!!!! says I...

Thanks for all the details.

I have a Lumia 521 which I haven't used much since I bought a Z10, then the Z30.

Here's a few thoughts.

I've used Nokia mapping apps going back 6-7 years and have liked them, including the walking feature, which, I believe, the native Blackberry OS10 mapping app doesn't have. However, I haven't tried to carefully compare the updated mapping/driving/walking apps on the 521 with the Z10 and Z30 mapping/driving apps--the latter of which can be annoying.

Considering the 521's hardware, the Windows Phone 8.1 software seems to be very efficient. Cortana, for example runs well.

Both Blackberry's Docs2Go and the word processing apps baked into 8.1 are very poor. Windows Phone 10 will, hopefully, be better. What the hell is Blackberry waiting for in this area. OS10 is supposed to be business oriented. Docs2Go is totally inconsistent with that message.

AFAIK, outside OneDrive or some other cloud-based service, one can't attach anything but graphics and/or video files to email messages, using Windows Phone 8.1. Blackberry OS10 much more useful in this area.

Windows Phone 8.1 still can't handle all or most Windows Silverlight and Windows Media Player files. Very annoying.

There is one webcasting service which I use very much which I can access with my Z10 and Z30, using the updated OS. Can't do that with Windows 8.1.

My Z30 handles Miracast fairly well. The 521 doesn't have the hardware to run whatever Microsoft provides for wireless video streaming from a phone to a TV. Am curious what a better Windows phone could do in this area once Windows Phone 10 becomes available.
    Last edited by ubeda92; 05-15-15 at 06:13 PM.
    NYTOC83 likes this.
    05-15-15 05:37 PM
    Had a Lumia 830 for about 6 weeks in February this year. The OS is fragmented, there is no flow between different tasks. The notification system is like something from a late 90s smartphone - there is a single, generic 'envelope' icon which appears at the top of the screen and it rapidly becomes impossible to keep track of notifications. On the plus side, the cameras are amazing. Cortana works well. But that's pretty much it. The handset design looks good (nice matte aluminium frame) but is poor mechanically - I dropped it from height in the first fortnight, which I never did with any of my BlackBerrys. The back panel was cheap, hard, slippy plastic. Have seen the previews of Windows 10 for phones, and that looks much the same. Avoid.

Posted via CB10
    Windows 10 preview was terrible I must admit!

Posted via CB10
    05-15-15 05:45 PM
    I'm a Q10 user and just purchased my first Windows phone yesterday (should be here in a day or so). I decided to go ahead and give it a whirl. I'm going in with an open mind and looking forward to a new experience.

I'm not too sure where BlackBerry is headed in terms of device/OS, but I don't like the Android crutch - I don't mean the app gap but the look and feel and the ever increasing presence of Android. I bought BlackBerry for BlackBerry, not Android. I get that the company needs to do what it must to survive. And for me, I don't see a BlackBerry for the average user. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if all that is left of the company is the Hub and security platform - no OS, no devices, etc.

Not happy but I gotta do what works best for me.

emPowered by  | Q10 SQN100-4/10.3.2.500
    Nakia Johnson1 likes this.
    05-15-15 05:51 PM
    I'm a Q10 user and just purchased my first Windows phone yesterday (should be here in a day or so). I decided to go ahead and give it a whirl. I'm going in with an open mind and looking forward to a new experience.

I'm not too sure where BlackBerry is headed in terms of device/OS, but I don't like the Android crutch - I don't mean the app gap but the look and feel and the ever increasing presence of Android. I bought BlackBerry for BlackBerry, not Android. I get that the company needs to do what it must to survive. And for me, I don't see a BlackBerry for the average user. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if all that is left of the company is the Hub and security platform - no OS, no devices, etc.

Not happy but I gotta do what works best for me.

emPowered by  | Q10 SQN100-4/10.3.2.500
    I love my BlackBerry however also hate all this android integration bullcrap. Why in the world can't one delete the amazon store app if I have no interest in using it? Why does the amazon store need to access stored files? BlackBerry is security + os and having used all but ios, I know there isn't a better, more fluid os out there. However all this android presence, I definitely could do without!

But I know when it comes to fluidity and swipe motions, you'll miss your q10

Posted via CB10
    05-15-15 06:03 PM
    Last summer I got a Lumia 1020 because I was disgusted with my Z30's camera. But today I am still using the Z30, which I now couple with an iPhone 6 Plus. The Windows Phone UI is strange, and the VKB is not so great. As a communication device, the Z30 beats both my 1020 and 6 Plus. I got the 1020 because if I moved on from the phone, I'd still have 41 megapixel camera.

Posted via CB 10 | VZW Z30 STA100-3 | OS 10.3.1.2744
    05-15-15 08:23 PM
70 123