The rumors are back. According to my twitter feed, there is some speculation today that Apple is now potentially interested in a BlackBerry buyout.

(Rumor) Apple considering buying out of BlackBerry-img_20150511_154624.png

(Rumor) Apple considering buying out of BlackBerry-img_20150511_154613.png

Posted via CB10
    dean_josephson likes this.
    05-11-15 03:47 PM
    Rumors schmuors. Doesn't matter till it happens. Until then, just investors talking crap like every other day. Stock goes up. Stock goes down. Stock gonna stock. PS: Never trust Benzinga lol.
    05-11-15 03:50 PM
    Ugh that would be terrible, even if they kept making a BlackBerry line of phones (with keyboards, bb10 would be absorbed/destroyed) I would not be a customer anymore as I refuse to have anything to do with Apple and it's monopolistic ecosystem and over priced products.

But this is most likely just a false rumor anyway, if Apple is willing to pay that kind of money for the company, they clearly recognize a very serious threat in Enterprise and IoT.

BB for Life
    acovey, andy957, Al moon and 3 others like this.
    05-11-15 03:59 PM
    This is only relevant to day-traders. Nothing to this at all.
    05-11-15 04:01 PM
    Here we Fkn go .. agin ??
    05-11-15 04:09 PM
    Never gonna happen, lol.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-15 04:18 PM
    Never gonna happen, lol.
    Why not? Apple wants to maintain their position in the market and keep Samsung at bay.
    05-11-15 05:00 PM
    Why not? Apple wants to maintain their position in the market and keep Samsung at bay.
    If Apple really wanted them they would have bought them already when they were actually, you know, seeking a buyer.
    05-11-15 05:19 PM
    I'll jump ship without looking back, that's all I'm going to say.

Posted via CB10
    maddie1128 and BB10QNX like this.
    05-11-15 05:29 PM
    Rumors schmuors. Doesn't matter till it happens. Until then, just investors talking crap like every other day. Stock goes up. Stock goes down. Stock gonna stock. PS: Never trust Benzinga lol.
    Aka pump and dump!

Shorts hard at work.

Posted by BlackBerry accept no compromise!
    05-11-15 05:46 PM
    Bla1ze's succinct answer is best, but here's some of my further thoughts.

Apple already has a strong position in enterprise and a partnership with IBM to further bolster their business cred; BES12 might interest them but they're generally not a company that dabbles in the server business like Microsoft or in MDM so that seems unlikely to me; They have a strong hardware business already and great carrier relationships globally; Apple doesn't do cross platform beyond iTunes and iCloud for Windows so stuff like BBM wouldn't interest them; Most of their historical acquisitions relate to consumer oriented things like Beats; and I'm also pretty sure they're not interested in making a PKB iPhone.

That leaves QNX, patents and human capital. Apple can poach human capital without an acquisition (and already has in the past), just like Huawei is apparently doing as well. And Huawei has reportedly been interested in BlackBerry in the past.

So QNX and patents would be the only reason I'd see them being remotely interested. Everything else they'd probably shut down. The optics on that probably wouldn’t be very good, and might even attract regulatory attention in some countries, so that's another reason against it happening.

So I'm happy with saying it's never gonna happen. If I'm wrong, then so be it, lol.

EDIT: Here's the case I was thinking of when I referred to Apple poaching from BlackBerry in the past. They even used the word 'Poached' in the headline.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/...ached-by-apple

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Reaney; 05-11-15 at 06:00 PM.
    jmr1015 and andy957 like this.
    05-11-15 05:47 PM
    Aka pump and dump!

Shorts hard at work.

Playing with the stock price actually makes sense, could be that's the case.
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    05-11-15 05:58 PM
    Aka pump and dump!

Shorts hard at work.

Why would the shorts want the stock to go up, like it did today?
    05-11-15 06:29 PM
    Artificially and significantly raise the share price, then speculation on lower price later (when the rumor go away).
    On the market, you can bet on the future price of a stock... without even actually buy it for the full price, but only a small portion of it.
    'Code names' : stock shorting and pump and dump, if ever you want to dig a little more.

Posted via CB10
    diegonei likes this.
    05-11-15 06:43 PM
    So they can play it both ways. Buy, create rumour, wait till it gets high enough, sell and short, rumour gets quashed, price drops, cover short position.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    05-11-15 06:43 PM
    Aka pump and dump!

Shorts hard at work.

The "OMG the Shorts!" battlecry....

Seriously... anybody trying to short the stock would NOT want this. If you borrow stocks as a short... the LAST thing you want to happen is for the stock to suddenly rocket up; Which is what would happen if this rumor were true.
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    05-11-15 06:45 PM
    As a prelude to the inevitable drop in the price? Not a big trader myself, but here's a short (ha) description of Pump and Dump:

How does a pump and dump scam work?

EDIT: I have no idea personally if that's what's happening, but it makes more sense than Apple acquiring BlackBerry.
    05-11-15 06:45 PM
    If Apple really wanted them they would have bought them already when they were actually, you know, seeking a buyer.
    I don't think BlackBerry was attractive to a buyer at that time. It was in the middle of downsizing and much unrest. Who would want to acquire a company like that?
    05-11-15 06:51 PM
    Home Button here we come!
    g33kphr33k likes this.
    05-11-15 07:21 PM
    I don't think BlackBerry was attractive to a buyer at that time. It was in the middle of downsizing and much unrest. Who would want to acquire a company like that?
    It would be cheap and if you're only going after the IP...
    05-11-15 07:49 PM
    Is anyone dumb enough to buy this? Stock manipulation at it's finest.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-15 08:02 PM
    The "OMG the Shorts!" battlecry....

Seriously... anybody trying to short the stock would NOT want this. If you borrow stocks as a short... the LAST thing you want to happen is for the stock to suddenly rocket up; Which is what would happen if this rumor were true.
    lets the party begins, where are your friends? Birdman, Geekberry, etc, etc?
    05-11-15 08:12 PM
    If Apple ever bought I would switch to Android

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    Bfalcon1 and maddie1128 like this.
    05-11-15 08:27 PM
    Not only that I think many though the company would fold, or Prem would part it out and they could get it cheaper than buying the whole thing. IOS is on its eighth revision, and maybe Apple has evaluated things and sees this as an investment that can pay off on the future, or sees BlackBerry and Samsung getting too cozy and threatening Enterprise. I doubt their is anything here, but to say it isn't possible is a little crazy. I wouldn't be surprised if BlackBerry has an iOS player that they have shown Apple to try to get them to buy them.

Posted via CB10
    crackberry_geek and andy957 like this.
    05-11-15 08:38 PM
    They short the stock when it's artificially inflated on the rumor, then dump when the stock corrects to rake in their earnings.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-15 08:54 PM
111 123 ...