Now that the passport has been around for sometime, can someone please help me with this nagging thought. Can someone please confirm whether there's push email for gmail on passport. I have both personal and GApps gmail accounts. I have been on both Android and iOS devices and so far emails get pushed on android devices through the official gmail app but neither platforms has push support on their native email apps.

I know that the question has been asked several times but there's no clear/ definitive answer to this question. Please help settle this issue once and for all by sharing your experiences with push email on gmail. I'm considering moving to the new passport (codenamed Oslo) but push email for gmail is a dealbreaker for me..

Look forward to your feedback
    05-01-15 04:24 AM
    Now that the passport has been around for sometime, can someone please help me with this nagging thought. Can someone please confirm whether there's push email for gmail on passport. I have both personal and GApps gmail accounts. I have been on both Android and iOS devices and so far emails get pushed on android devices through the official gmail app but neither platforms has push support on their native email apps.

I know that the question has been asked several times but there's no clear/ definitive answer to this question. Please help settle this issue once and for all by sharing your experiences with push email on gmail. I'm considering moving to the new passport (codenamed Oslo) but push email for gmail is a dealbreaker for me..

Look forward to your feedback
    of course. what is a question like that?! It's been always like that - even 9780 Bold had push for gmail....

You set up your native email account, add username, password - and that's it.
    However, You should go to Gmail settings on web browser and just re-check if IMAP is turned on (it should be by default now, I believe).

Here's some old instructions:
    How to set up Gmail on your BlackBerry 10 device using IMAP, CalDav and CardDav | CrackBerry.com
    05-01-15 05:02 AM
    Thanks for the update. Anxiously waiting for the Oslo.
    05-01-15 05:04 AM
    Of course. If you use two layer authentication, just check the settings and activate the device from gmail in the web

Posted via CB10
    05-01-15 05:10 AM
    of course. what is a question like that?! It's been always like that - even 9780 Bold had push for gmail....

You set up your native email account, add username, password - and that's it.
    However, You should go to Gmail settings on web browser and just re-check if IMAP is turned on (it should be by default now, I believe).

Here's some old instructions:
    How to set up Gmail on your BlackBerry 10 device using IMAP, CalDav and CardDav | CrackBerry.com
    That's still valid. And let's add this.

How to prevent deleted Gmail messages from archiving when synced using IMAP
    05-01-15 06:49 AM
    Passport has it. I am sure Oslo does too.

I have both types of Gmail accounts as you do.

The paid account also supports activesync.

Posted via CB 10 on my Passport SQW100-1 sporting 10.3.1.2582
    05-01-15 07:36 AM
    may be. but when you add a GMAIL account, you do not need to do anything else - calendar and address book is added automatically.
    05-01-15 07:42 AM
    may be. but when you add a GMAIL account, you do not need to do anything else - calendar and address book is added automatically.
    Some prefer that when they delete messages on their device, that those messages delete to Trash in Gmail. That link gives the proper setup. The Forum has that question asked many times.
    amirage likes this.
    05-01-15 08:21 AM
    Thanks all for chiming in. It's really weird that the more you research this topic the more confusing it gets. The issue is that most of the posts related to this topic were after OS10 was release but before google official stopped exchange support on all free accounts (personal and GApps). Unless the device is grandfathered in and has got an update to OS10, exchange push is not possible.

Given that there are users of passport here who get push email for their gmail accounts on their devices, it seems that my query is more or less solved. I had moved from an Android devices to iOS and am repenting even to this day; but looking at the way BB is moving (with side loading of android apps) I have a strong urge to move towards BB since I was a BB person before jumping on the Android bandwagon. At least on BB I can be assured that their devices will have latest updates unlike Android with their stupid 3 year support and other manufacturers with even shorter support.

To me getting my gmails pushed to my devices is a deal breaker and looking at the posts, it seems that BB should be winning my bucks as soon as I'm out of my stupid contract for the iPhone in October.

Now the question is whether I should go for the Passport (when the prices drop after Oslo's out) or wait for Oslo to come out. What do you think? The rumour mill isn't very supporting either and as far as I've read the major difference between the two devices is the processor.

Looking forward to the comments.
    05-03-15 03:22 AM
    So far there are no real details known regarding the Oslo, from what I have read, the major specs are the same. No more bump in terms of screen, similar SoC (maybe clocked a bit higher?) and maybe an additional gig of RAM. However as of now there simply are no confirmed details regarding that Oslo. Also keep in mind not to trust all rumours, before the Classic got released, rumours raised to an amount of being basically a fact the Classic will sport the Z30 hardware. It turned out it still uses the same internals from Q10/Z10. So until we'll see some official specs, I wouldn't rush to believe anything regarding new devices.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 03:45 AM
    I'll surely wait to see the next iteration of the passport and then take a call whether to go with the then cheaper passport or the latest and greatest...I hope the release happens sooner rather than later.
    05-03-15 07:28 AM
    I'll surely wait to see the next iteration of the passport and then take a call whether to go with the then cheaper passport or the latest and greatest...I hope the release happens sooner rather than later.
    Check back in 4 months at the earliest haha. By that time we will all be drooling over the slider. Had my Passport for over 6 months now and already want something else. Haha

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 10:32 AM
    I know that u've ur push problem query solved, but is it me or is it that u're new to bb?

Push gmail has already been around ever since 9700. In fact, ur bb will receive the email one or two seconds faster than ur desktop.

Are u referring to another query? I don't understand why u think bb couldn't do push for Gmail.
    05-03-15 10:40 AM
    Thanks for all the comments. I think I'll wait it out for the new passport to arrive. As for the slider, the pictures look really out of proportion but I'll have a look at it when they are out as well...

As for the comment whether I'm new to BB or not, well I'm not new to bb and have been using them since the old 8820s however then gmail had push service through it's active sync which when coupled with bb's own BIS made it a formidable force. However, ever since os 10, BIS has been scraped and add to that the loss of active sync for free accounts made me concerned about push service for BB. Now that there're enough comments on push email still being there for all BB 10 devices old and new, I have made my decision to move to a BB from iPhone.

Btw, I'd left out a question earlier...is there any correlation between the speed of push email and sync interval? Look forward to your comments.
    05-05-15 01:07 AM
    Btw, I'd left out a question earlier...is there any correlation between the speed of push email and sync interval? Look forward to your comments.
    I have Gmail set up server side so that when I delete from the Hub it will delete on the Gmail server and not archive. The sync interval on the BlackBerry phone, I don't really know how well that works.

If I'm at my PC and I see an email come in on Gmail, it comes in instantaneously on the Passport as well. If I delete the email either on my PC or on the Passport, it takes quite awhile for the changes to populate on the other side. They eventually do, I've just never timed it.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-15 01:17 AM
    Thanks for all the comments. I think I'll wait it out for the new passport to arrive. As for the slider, the pictures look really out of proportion but I'll have a look at it when they are out as well...

As for the comment whether I'm new to BB or not, well I'm not new to bb and have been using them since the old 8820s however then gmail had push service through it's active sync which when coupled with bb's own BIS made it a formidable force. However, ever since os 10, BIS has been scraped and add to that the loss of active sync for free accounts made me concerned about push service for BB. Now that there're enough comments on push email still being there for all BB 10 devices old and new, I have made my decision to move to a BB from iPhone.

The push email and sync interval are separate items. The push email describes how messages are delivered.

The sync interval indicates how often read/unread status (etc.) sync between the device and server. In other words if I mark an email as read and flag it on my device, it will take approximately 5 minutes for that change to appear on the Gmail server. (My sync interval is set for 5 minutes.)

Elessar.cm | Moderator
    05-05-15 07:26 AM
    Now that the passport has been around for sometime, can someone please help me with this nagging thought. Can someone please confirm whether there's push email for gmail on passport.
    Yes. Push GMail is supported through the IMAP IDLE protocol. All you have to do is enter your GMail address and password and BlackBerry OS 10 will take care of the rest.

Since we're on this topic, I was originally skeptical when BlackBerry decided to do away with BIS on the new devices, thinking that the IMAP IDLE solution would be a compromise. But I must say, I find IMAP IDLE to be a faster (yes faster) delivery of email to my device.
    05-05-15 08:13 AM
    The best way to know whether a bb is better than iPhone or Android phone in receiving push emails is to put them side by side and then sending an email into that email address u've put inside the 3 phones.

I've done it myself, several times.

U will notice that bb will receive the email WAY faster then iPhone or Android. In fact, what makes it crazy is that, ur bb receives the email 1 or 2 seconds faster than ur desktop.
    05-06-15 06:37 PM
    Thanks for the comments as well as the "A-ha" moment for the comment on the sync intervals. Also, thanks for the all the reassuring messages on the imap idle push protocol as well as the comment on the speed of message delivery among Android, BB, iOS.

I'm due for a change in device and all the comments have really swayed in favour of BB from Android.
    05-07-15 12:17 AM
    The sync interval indicates how often read/unread status (etc.) sync between the device and server. In other words if I mark an email as read and flag it on my device, it will take approximately 5 minutes for that change to appear on the Gmail server. (My sync interval is set for 5 minutes.)
    But does that actually happen for you? For me, it's upwards of an hour or more, regardless if I delete the email message from the Hub (deletion reflecting on Gmail) or if I delete on Gmail (deletion reflecting on Passport).

It's definitely NOT 5 minutes for me, and I have that set for my intervals.
    05-07-15 12:29 AM
    Hey given that we have somewhat started the Android/ iOS bashing topic, can someone throw some light on how well Android apps play well with the OS 10? Do we get some crazy screen resolutions? Has anyone got google play store apps working well on passport?

Look forward to the comments
    05-07-15 07:24 AM
    But does that actually happen for you? For me, it's upwards of an hour or more, regardless if I delete the email message from the Hub (deletion reflecting on Gmail) or if I delete on Gmail (deletion reflecting on Passport).

It's definitely NOT 5 minutes for me, and I have that set for my intervals.
    Yes, it's pretty close to the 5 minute sync I have set. A couple of minutes more at most. It's worked that way for 2 Gmail accounts I've used on my Z10, Z30, and now my Passport.

Elessar.cm | Moderator
    05-07-15 10:01 AM
    Yes, it's pretty close to the 5 minute sync I have set. A couple of minutes more at most. It's worked that way for 2 Gmail accounts I've used on my Z10, Z30, and now my Passport.

Elessar.cm | Moderator
    Interesting. I wonder if it makes a difference that I'm using a Google Apps account with a custom domain utilizing Gmail backend that's causing delays, rather than a standard @gmail.com address.

It still syncs, just takes bloody long for me.

BlackBizzle my nizzle
    05-07-15 04:19 PM
    Interesting. I wonder if it makes a difference that I'm using a Google Apps account with a custom domain utilizing Gmail backend that's causing delays, rather than a standard @gmail.com address.

It still syncs, just takes bloody long for me.

BlackBizzle my nizzle
    You should be using ActiveSync, which is only available to Google apps account holders. I'd wager you'd find it much simpler, and probably faster.

KB33472-How to integrate a Google Apps email account using Microsoft ActiveSync
    05-07-15 05:56 PM
    You should be using ActiveSync, which is only available to Google apps account holders. I'd wager you'd find it much simpler, and probably faster.

KB33472-How to integrate a Google Apps email account using Microsoft ActiveSync
    Really? I appreciate your attempt at helping but I just wasted an hour deleting my account and failing to set up ActiveSync. I believe it's deprecated for Google Apps based on new APIs.

Had to re-setup my account, all my notification profiles, calendar colors, sync settings.

BlackBizzle my nizzle
    05-07-15 06:28 PM
29 12