I really think they should use Amazon's failed Fire Phone experience as a way to help themselves and Amazon. They could offer to use the Amazon services as primary media services on BlackBerry. Then we could have things like Firefly and Amazon Music and Instant while still maintaining productivity. In fact, I quite liked the implications of Firefly for business also, Amazon could slowly wean themselves and their developers off of Android and on to an actual partnership with BlackBerry that could help them build their brand. All their apps could be developed as BlackBerry app files. They could even rename the BlackBerry World store to BlackBerry World Powered by Amazon. We'd be able to keep productivity while at least having dedicated media options.

Don't be afraid to ask me any questions in order to clarify. This is just me spitballing an idea. Would to hear of ways to improve the idea. Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    Superdupont 2_0 likes this.
    04-29-15 11:04 PM
    Bump

Posted via CB10
    04-30-15 11:21 PM
    benefito we must!
    04-30-15 11:29 PM
    OP, I think the idea is great!!

Amazon has a great, powerful media service that can compete with iTunes.
    BlackBerry could provide a PlayBook 2 and phones to access these services, I mean OS 10.3 is definitely mature enough to develop some serious business here.

If more tablets/handsets are sold to Amazon consumers, these consumers could use their handsets also in their companies (BYOD), and vice versa "Balance"/BES 12 would receive a greater acceptance among employees.

And which each device sold, Amazon will gain another customer.

Everybody wins.

I was actually very disappointed that the Amazon app on OS 10.3 is only for apps and not for regular purchases and services access.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-15 03:49 AM
    Amazon could slowly wean themselves and their developers off of Android and on to an actual partnership with BlackBerry that could help them build their brand.
    I appreciate your creative thinking, but why would Amazon strive to do that with a mobile player that has 0.4% market share and falling? And a company that (aside from BBM) is focused on enterprise? Maybe if Amazon wanted to make strides in filling a business app gap but their focus is the consumer market.
    05-01-15 03:54 AM
    I appreciate your creative thinking, but why would Amazon strive to do that with a mobile player that has 0.4% market share and falling? And a company that (aside from BBM) is focused on enterprise? Maybe if Amazon wanted to make strides in filling a business app gap but their focus is the consumer market.
    Because Amazon cannot partner with Apple,Ms and Google, who are in many ways competing with Amazon.

Furthermore OS 10.3 is way more developed and secure than any Kindle OS will ever be, and these developing costs have been already written off.

BlackBerry has ONLY are marketing problem, that can be easily solved by Amazon.

Edit: And since QNX is already running in entertainment systems, this is screaming for a partnership with a media service provider like Amazon.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-15 04:17 AM
    Because Amazon cannot partner with Apple,Ms and Google, who are in many ways competing with Amazon.

Furthermore OS 10.3 is way more developed and secure than any Kindle OS will ever be, and these developing costs have been already written off.

BlackBerry has ONLY are marketing problem, that can be easily solved by Amazon.
    You speak as though they don't have a partnership already.

And can't see the benefit to Amazon in spending millions on marketing BB10 when, again, BlackBerry's focus is on enterprise.
    05-01-15 04:22 AM
    You speak as though they don't have a partnership already.

And can't see the benefit to Amazon in spending millions on marketing BB10 when, again, BlackBerry's focus is on enterprise.
    "Balance" means that the OS has the same features like any consumer device.

Let Amazon advertise their cloud services for the private space, and let BlackBerry advertise BES features for the work space.

You may see contrariety, but the spectacular unique thing about OS 10 devices was from the beginning that they are BOTH at the same time:

- MORE than a regular consumer phone
    - MORE than a regular work phone

Posted via CB10
    ImBerryCurious likes this.
    05-01-15 04:30 AM
    I believe BlackBerry's low market share is actually the key to this idea. Their share is low, yet everyone still knows what Blackberry is. Combining this recognition with some innovative features that Amazon has showcased, the services that Amazon could provide, and the marketing ability that only Amazon has could allow both companies to flourish. Also, I don't believe enterprise is the only real goal here. Chen can talk that talk all he wants but the fact is that the Amazon app store was placed on every 10.3+ phone. That store is geared toward entertainment. So, why not pair up with a company that needs a handset.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-15 09:12 AM
    I really think they should use Amazon's failed Fire Phone experience as a way to help themselves and Amazon. They could offer to use the Amazon services as primary media services on BlackBerry. Then we could have things like Firefly and Amazon Music and Instant while still maintaining productivity. In fact, I quite liked the implications of Firefly for business also, Amazon could slowly wean themselves and their developers off of Android and on to an actual partnership with BlackBerry that could help them build their brand. All their apps could be developed as BlackBerry app files. They could even rename the BlackBerry World store to BlackBerry World Powered by Amazon. We'd be able to keep productivity while at least having dedicated media options.

Don't be afraid to ask me any questions in order to clarify. This is just me spitballing an idea. Would to hear of ways to improve the idea. Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    To add to the Amazon side of things. BlackBerry should request they add a link for BlackBerry users ONLY for up / down voting said app. ONLY BlackBerry users would see it and they would have their comments prefaced with "BlackBerry 10(C) user - App Version 1.1.2.1234". The version would be the specific APP version, not the BB version. That way actual Android users would be able to ignore us, and us BlackBerry users could reviews specifically geared towards our platform. As well the up/down vote thing would ONLY be clickable for users logged in using a BlackBerry device.

Goes without saying the voting would be reset for each update to said app.
    05-01-15 09:52 AM
    Amazon picked up the PlayBook and did wonders with it to produce a tablet that has dealt a big blow to Apple's dominance.

I'd be quite happy to see the partnership growing if it means we get some of the cool features that the Fire OS has.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-15 08:33 PM
    Some good ideas here...

Posted via CB10
    05-02-15 11:32 PM
    Some good ideas here...
    Which will never make it to fruition.
    BlackBerry doesn't care about the consumer market.
    05-03-15 11:02 AM
    Which will never make it to fruition.
    BlackBerry doesn't care about the consumer market.
    I believe BlackBerry very much cares about the consumer market, but realize they have no shot there without a massive Marketing budget to go with their massive R&D spending.

Players like Google and Apple can afford to spend massively on both R&D and Marketing simultaneously. Smaller players like BlackBerry, Amazon and Samsung cannot afford to do so infinitely.

I agree with the OP that there is a massive opportunity for BlackBerry to partner with not only Amazon, but also Samsung, and make a serious play for the consumer space. Let BlackBerry R&D the basic OS, with input from Samsung on polishing the OS for the consumer space, and input from Amazon on integrating their media offerings into the OS.
    Let Samsung and Amazon produce and market consumer facing devices.
    Let BlackBerry continue making a few enterprise focused devices to provide the highest level of security for the customers that need it.

While more of a challenge to coordinate efforts among multiple big players, it's not impossible (think Microsoft/Intel/Big PC makers in the 90's) and Chen has the right stuff to make it happen.

Only thing standing in the way is BlackBerry's well documented history of being their own worst enemy when it comes to positioning themselves for future growth.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 02:26 PM
    Well, the fact is that BlackBerry has already begun using Amazon to fill their consumer application gap. That's why we now have the Amazon App Store preinstalled on our phones. However, this polarizes the consumer market in a way. BlackBerry hasn't done anything to fix their platform, they've only thrown a too-small bandage on it by installing a separate store. That just takes up a bunch of space. However, a partnership that allows developers to write for both BlackBerry and Kindle devices could very well increase interest. Also, Amazon could use the BlackBerry services to promote their tablets for businesses. And, quite obviously, Amazon's minuscule market share and BlackBerry's minuscule share combined makes a slightly less minuscule market share. Maybe enough to provide a foothold to climb to the top.
    05-04-15 06:26 AM
    Well, the fact is that BlackBerry has already begun using Amazon to fill their consumer application gap. That's why we now have the Amazon App Store preinstalled on our phones. However, this polarizes the consumer market in a way. BlackBerry hasn't done anything to fix their platform, they've only thrown a too-small bandage on it by installing a separate store. That just takes up a bunch of space. However, a partnership that allows developers to write for both BlackBerry and Kindle devices could very well increase interest. Also, Amazon could use the BlackBerry services to promote their tablets for businesses. And, quite obviously, Amazon's minuscule market share and BlackBerry's minuscule share combined makes a slightly less minuscule market share. Maybe enough to provide a foothold to climb to the top.
    Amazon have a massive share of the tablet market.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-15 09:39 AM
    Amazon have a massive share of the tablet market.
    Afaik, Amazon has lost (their already small) market share and more importantly Amazon is losing money with the hardware.
    Positive revenues are coming only from the services that they offer on their tablets.

Tablet sales and market share - Kindle struggling - Business Insider

A Look At Amazon's Kindle Ecosystem 3 - Business Insider

If they really sold only 35,000 Fire phones in 2014 then moving to BB 10 (potentially 15-45 million users) would make perfect sense for Amazon
    On the other hand it was reported they shipped 5,8 million tablets in Q4 2014, so replacing the cheap Kindle with a cheap PlayBook 2 is a challenge but could be attractive for BlackBerry (to promote BB 10 and balance their fix costs).
    05-05-15 09:08 AM
    Afaik, Amazon has lost (their already small) market share and more importantly Amazon is losing money with the hardware.
    Positive revenues are coming only from the services that they offer on their tablets.

Tablet sales and market share - Kindle struggling - Business Insider

A Look At Amazon's Kindle Ecosystem 3 - Business Insider

If they really sold only 35,000 Fire phones in 2014 then moving to BB 10 (potentially 15-45 million users) would make perfect sense for Amazon
    On the other hand it was reported they shipped 5,8 million tablets in Q4 2014, so replacing the cheap Kindle with a cheap PlayBook 2 is a challenge but could be attractive for BlackBerry (to promote BB 10 and balance their fix costs).
    The IDC chose to omit e-readers and Kindle Fire HD's from their figures, Amazon's two best selling product lines.

It wouldn't surprise anybody that Amazon lose money on their tablet hardware, they produce them with the sole aim to devour premium content. The screens on the HDX line are absolutely incredible and they are sold at budget prices. The Fire Phone was a flop (despite it having some cool features).

The only new tablet Amazon launched last year that is included in those results was the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" device launched in Q3 (a premium device without the budget price tag).

BlackBerry couldn't make a cheap tablet, they can't even make a cheap phone.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-15 10:29 AM

BlackBerry couldn't make a cheap tablet, they can't even make a cheap phone.

Posted via CB10
    I agree.

Replacing Fire Phones with BB 10 Phones makes sense to me, but replacing Kindle with PlayBook is a challenge.
    However, if they would start to develop for BB 10 anyways, a PlayBook 2 would be a reasonable extension for watching movies etc etc...

Posted via CB10
    05-05-15 10:56 AM
    Albeit, now that I have checked Kindle tablets a little bit more, I have seen the newest generation of Fire HFX 8.9 (Fire OS 4) has various models and is sold for about 400 - 600 EUR. That is certainly not cheap, so a PlayBook 2 could make sense for both Amazon and BlackBerry.

BTW, there is already a Kindle app for BB 10, just downloaded a free eBook to my Z10, which I can read even offline (flight mode).Very cool!

They really could do so much more together.
    05-06-15 03:20 AM
    Albeit, now that I have checked Kindle tablets a little bit more, I have seen the newest generation of Fire HFX 8.9 (Fire OS 4) has various models and is sold for about 400 - 600 EUR. That is certainly not cheap, so a PlayBook 2 could make sense for both Amazon and BlackBerry.

BTW, there is already a Kindle app for BB 10, just downloaded a free eBook to my Z10, which I can read even offline (flight mode).Very cool!

They really could do so much more together.
    Full integration of Amazon Music and Prime would be a great start.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-15 11:51 AM
    BlackBerry will form a meaningful partnership with Samsung's Tizen rather than Amazon's Fire OS.
    05-08-15 09:39 AM
    I don't see them using Tizen. There's no benefit.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-15 06:57 PM
    I don't see them using Tizen. There's no benefit.
    Other than making advancements in IoT with Samsung shouldering the R&D cost.
    05-23-15 09:49 AM
    I believe BlackBerry very much cares about the consumer market, but realize they have no shot there without a massive Marketing budget to go with their massive R&D spending.

Players like Google and Apple can afford to spend massively on both R&D and Marketing simultaneously. Smaller players like BlackBerry, Amazon and Samsung cannot afford to do so infinitely.

I agree with the OP that there is a massive opportunity for BlackBerry to partner with not only Amazon, but also Samsung, and make a serious play for the consumer space. Let BlackBerry R&D the basic OS, with input from Samsung on polishing the OS for the consumer space, and input from Amazon on integrating their media offerings into the OS.
    Let Samsung and Amazon produce and market consumer facing devices.
    Let BlackBerry continue making a few enterprise focused devices to provide the highest level of security for the customers that need it.

While more of a challenge to coordinate efforts among multiple big players, it's not impossible (think Microsoft/Intel/Big PC makers in the 90's) and Chen has the right stuff to make it happen.

Only thing standing in the way is BlackBerry's well documented history of being their own worst enemy when it comes to positioning themselves for future growth.

Posted via CB10
    I can't speak to the Amazon devices, but it would not be good to take advice from Samsung on polishing the OS. My wife has an S4 and the settings are a confused mess. It's loaded down with all kinds of Samsung provided crapware in addition to the usual carrier bloatware. IMHO, it would be a massive step backwards.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-15 02:11 PM