Android apps will be playable on Windows 10 software, so there will be ton's of android app used on "Non Google Play Services" devices!

Hope that the fact that millions of customers without Google play services will try to use their app will push the developer to not require Google play services for their app.

Posted via CB10
    Just Me and Supa_Fly1 like this.
    04-29-15 12:57 PM
    It's not a Android Player like BlackBerry 10 or Sailfish, it's some sort of Code adaptation for porting Apps over to W10!

I repeat, apk installations will not be possible..
    dolco, Just Me, jmr1015 and 4 others like this.
    04-29-15 01:17 PM
    ^^^ This ^^^
    04-29-15 01:19 PM
    Lets see if they have any better luck than BlackBerry has had getting devs to port them over. My guess is they will since windows 10 the apps will also work on a pc or phone. So there is a huge user base just with pc's.
    04-29-15 01:22 PM
    And Microsoft will be in the same boat as Blackberry, trying to get developers to spend resources to port their apps and games to their platform.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-15 01:24 PM
    I think Microsoft could benefit by supporting Chen's app neutrality

Posted via CB10
    04-29-15 01:27 PM
    The devs still need to port their Apps over first... they won't magically appear, it's certainly a good idea, but we'll see if it works or not
    04-29-15 01:28 PM
    And Microsoft will be in the same boat as Blackberry, trying to get developers to spend resources to port their apps and games to their platform.

Posted via CB10
    Except they have tens of billions of dollars
    Maxxxpower likes this.
    04-29-15 01:40 PM
    As we had to do with the PlayBook ?

Posted via CB10
    04-29-15 01:51 PM
    As we had to do with the PlayBook ?

Posted via CB10
    Yes except devs have to do it, users cant

Posted via CB10
    04-29-15 02:06 PM
    I wish them luck with that

WindowsCentral users are hyping about it, hope it'll suit them well
    We'll see if they have better luck than BlackBerry

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-29-15 02:09 PM
    I think they will have more luck simply because the user base is huge. Just remember with win10 it isn't only for phones, the apps will work on desktops too. As for apps that need google services??? I doubt that.
    04-29-15 02:21 PM
    I think they will have more luck simply because the user base is huge. Just remember with win10 it isn't only for phones, the apps will work on desktops too. As for apps that need google services??? I doubt that.
    Actually they can. MS replaces Google services with MS services (something what BB has not). There was example of one ported app (Hotel booking app) which has replaced Google maps with MS maps.
    Last edited by dolco; 04-29-15 at 03:13 PM.
    kbz1960, mgmueller and brian4591 like this.
    04-29-15 02:58 PM
    Who the hell wants ported Android apps when you can have real Windows Programs?

I mean, maybe a few games for tablets,.. but yeah... apps on a desktop? I thought apps were meant to serve as watered down renderings of computer 'programs' that could run on devices with limited resources. To now say that it's good to have 'apps' on desktop computers,.. sure seems a bit circular no?

Posted via CB10
    pttptppt, Toodeurep and ppeters914 like this.
    04-29-15 03:27 PM
    Different solution than BlackBerry. They'll still suffer from the whole 'is it even worth it' on the developers end. Same with their iOS app solution.

Microsoft will allow Android apps to be quickly compiled for Windows 10 | Windows Central
    Microsoft introduces tools to let developers quickly compile iOS apps for Windows 10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-29-15 04:14 PM

I mean, maybe a few games for tablets,.. but yeah... apps on a desktop? I thought apps were meant to serve as watered down renderings of computer 'programs' that could run on devices with limited resources. To now say that it's good to have 'apps' on desktop computers,.. sure seems a bit circular no?

Posted via CB10
    Not that I would want to go that way but I'm not everyone.
    04-29-15 04:24 PM
    I don't support developers. I'm fine without a "hotel booking app," lol.
    04-29-15 04:59 PM
    Different solution than BlackBerry. They'll still suffer from the whole 'is it even worth it' on the developers end. Same with their iOS app solution.

Microsoft will allow Android apps to be quickly compiled for Windows 10 | Windows Central
    Microsoft introduces tools to let developers quickly compile iOS apps for Windows 10
    I think what stopped most developers is the fact that if they officially make an app available for another platform they will have to spend the time and resources to provide support for it.

No matter how easy BlackBerry or MS makes it to re compile an app, that's only one little part of 'having an app'. Specially for larger companies that provide paid services (and thus are somewhat subject to the expectation from paying customers that their app has to work---"otherwise, why did you even sell it to me").

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by AnimalPak200; 04-29-15 at 07:26 PM.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    04-29-15 05:18 PM
    It's a very intriguing solution, especially from a technical standpoint, but as others have already said, it's only really a small step towards closing the app gap for Windows 10.

It does put them in a better position than BlackBerry 10 though. There's a full suite of Microsoft services to replace Google services, it also allows for iOS apps to be brought over, and it doesn't appear to require a "virtual machine" of sorts like BB10's Android Player (I know that's over simplifying what Android Player is, but you get my point). But it still doesn't absolve developers from having to provide support for the app - though Microsoft is in a better financial position to make that problem go away as well.

Makes me all the more interested in seeing what Chen meant when he said they had "something brewing" for the app gap on BB10. It's a very difficult challenge, and I find it interesting to see the kind of unique solutions companies come up with to try and overcome it.
    04-29-15 05:49 PM
    I think what stopped most developers is the fact that if they officially make an app available for another platform they will have to spend the time and resources to provide support for it.
    Yup, I agree.
    04-29-15 06:26 PM
    Another thing you have to remember is MS is promoting "one Windows" with Windows 10. There won't be huge differences between the desktop, tablet, laptop, and phone experiences.

Considering that Windows is a distant 3rd, and barely more marketshare than BlackBerry, I see it as a sly move to get apps onto Windows Mobile faster, under the disguise of "Android for the desktop"

Posted from a non-camera BlackBerry Classic
    04-30-15 06:41 AM

Posted via CB10
    Actually that was my thought first before I moved to Windows 8.1, but now that I am fully used to the desktop "apps", I fully see their use.

Windows does have some nice apps such as the native news, weather, calendar, and mail app.

For news, it saves you from going to each different news source websites, since you can add all of the news sources you want in the app. And the app gathers all the news from various sources into one app.

For weather, the app makes it so that you do not even have to click on the app because of the live tile. You just glance at the information in start screen; and you are good to go. No need to start a Internet browser, choose the address bar, and type in the weather website.

For the mail app, if you have multiple accounts, the mail app gathers and remembers all the log in information. I know there is an Outlook program for it, but it still cannot utilize the "live tile" to notify you of the new mail. And if you do not or require the extra functionality of the Outlook program, Windows Mail app works out well for the majority of users.

If we were simply comparing the apps and desktop programs, then I agree, desktop programs would be better. But because apps have live tiles in Windows 8.1, that makes all the difference for usability.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960, JosevuN3 and dolco like this.
    04-30-15 09:48 AM
    See Mary Jo Foley's story:

Devs submit APKs to the Windows Store . Apps will only run on Windows Phone.

http://ct.zdnet.com/clicks?t=1773518...rand=ZDNET&s=5

Posted via CB10
    jajor likes this.
    04-30-15 10:34 AM
    is an app a nob to open the door of the website????
    04-30-15 10:36 AM
    See Mary Jo Foley's story:

Devs submit APKs to the Windows Store . Apps will only run on Windows Phone.

Here's how Microsoft hopes to get Android and iOS phone apps into its Windows 10 Store | ZDNet

Posted via CB10
    If that's the case I can't see them doing much better than BB did then.
    04-30-15 10:54 AM
39 12